Msi Dominator Help!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Msi dominator help!
Msi dominator help!
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-14 11:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello guys, i recently bought a new msi dominator gt70 2pc with nvidia gtx870m 3ghz. FFXI keeps sucking and so something came up on my mind. I downloaded msi afterburner and well the game is using cpu intel hd graphics 4600 (integrated video card).
I tried to set up the usage of AllPolgames and even ffxipolboot from nvidia control panel from automatic selection to nvidia gpu but things dont change and on msi afterburner nvidia usage is 0% and itel graphics is 75%.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance
 Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-14 11:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if i deactivate integrated graphics from windows (8.1) hardware pannel and so i force (?) usage of nvidia, well windower or even pol crash.

Thanks again
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-09-14 12:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

do you have it plugged in or running off battery?
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
user: fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2014-09-14 12:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe
2. Right click nvcplui.exe > click Properties
3. Under Compatibility Tab, tick the box for: 'Run this Program as an Administrator.'
4. Click Apply, then click Ok to close.

This should force Nvidia Control Panel to ALWAYS run in Admin Mode, IF I'm not mistaken(big 'if' lol), and hopefully give you guys the option to keep whatever settings you choose, implemented permanently. Please try to reboot and make sure it still runs as Admin, and that whatever settings you chose hadn't changed. As for the other services you mention, the next step may be to find them and force admin as well? IDK for sure :D

after that

1. Right click Desktop > Select Nvidia Control Panel

2. Under the 'Manage 3D Settings' Tab on the left, look in the right pane under 'Global Settings' Tab and make sure that 'High Performance Nvidia Processor' is selected. If it's not please select it and click apply. (still continue to next step)

3. Again in the right pane, select the 'Program Settings' tab.

4. In the top drop down, please select your game(s) .exe files. If they aren't listed already then you may have to 'Add' them. (for Steam games they're usually located in C:\Steam\SteamApps\common unless you selected to install them in a different place.

5. After you select your game's .exe, you need to then select the 'High-Performance Nvidia Processor,' and then click Apply for each game.

After you do this, please close Steam and reopen it (if it's already open), and then try launching the games that were giving you problems, and see if they run properly.

Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-14 13:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

No luck unfortunately Fab,
Unless im not setting up the right exe for ffxi. I tried with pol.exe and still the same. Also if i disactivate intel graphics forcing usage of nvidia (not from boot since im not able to load it spamming del at start, it goes directly to windows and so i could do only from hardware managment in windows) the program crashes as soon as i execute windower or pol.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-14 15:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-09-14 15:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

did you try going under power management settings to make sure it's always enabled?
 Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-14 16:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My power menagment is on high performance
 Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-14 17:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So tryed all i could do. Thanks a lot for the answers, unfortunaly though even if it looks setted on nvidia on the control pannel, the game forces to load on intel graphics, as showed by msi afterburner (0% nvidia usage 75% intel usage). I thought for a second nvidia was broken but i installed new fifa demo and this time the usage was 99% nvidia 20% intel and the demo is amazing!
Just a problem of compatibility? There must be a solution!
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2014-09-14 17:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

iam not sure about the MSI bios . but you should be able to shut down the intergated gpu . start up your system and spam DEL .
 Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-15 02:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

SOLVED!

I had to roll back nvidia drivers. I mean......

TY all for support
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2014-09-15 07:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

wich geforce driver you using atm ?

newest is 340.52
 Ragnarok.Luloo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-09-15 08:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh bro i got no idea but the drivers updated which caused the trouble were the ones from july, restoring to may ones fixed. Can check version when i come back home. The funny thing is that i needed the crowd of woe v2 to realize i was playing the game in a bad way since i bought the pc....
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [123 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Fiasko
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Fiasko 2015-01-16 13:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be the best driver for this? (I have a 860m nvidia card and intel 4600) I just bought a laptop (Windows 8.1) with the wonderful optimus technology and no matter what gpu is selected for POL.exe or global, POL and FFXI are being run by the intel gpu.

PS sorry for the bump.
 Cerberus.Fiasko
By Cerberus.Fiasko 2015-01-16 14:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I couldn't even install the May driver.

(If you go to the Nvidia control panel you can add the Nvidia GPU Activity to your task bar (under desktop at the top) to tell if your dGPU is running "blank" program)
 Cerberus.Fiasko
By Cerberus.Fiasko 2015-01-16 15:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If I can't figure this out I am going to give up on windows 8.1.
My next question is, do the Windows 7 drivers have this same issue.
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2015-01-16 18:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/44494/ffxi-wont-switch-high-performance-gpu-on This thread same issue and because it's Optimus you can't just disable the onboard they work together.

Apparently it's because ffxi loads as a dll ...

I will contact MSI first and nvidia if that doens't work. At least we seem to have narrowed the problem down so their support is effective.

btw mine is a ghost pro 3k so seems all msi's are having this issue.
It is annoying that FFXI doesn't use the dedicated graphics card but that's not why it's slow.
Modern integrated cards are more than overqualified to run a game like FFXI flawlessly.

The issue is with Windows 8(.1)'s poor emulation of older DirectX/3D/Draw software. In particular, DirectX 8 is often cited as being emulated horrifically by many people for various games in Windows 8(.1).

Some games have third-party patches to fix the incompatibilities but I imagine with an MMO that can't really happen.

Although despite this the most baffling thing is when a Windows 8(.1) laptop runs FFXI perfectly at max settings. (including ones that the official client does not provide.)

I'm personally asking this part:
If anyone here runs FFXI perfectly on an Optimus-enabled laptop and has an Intel HD Graphics 4600 as your integrated card, what driver version are you using for it?

For everyone else:
FFXI is running perfectly for your Windows 8.1 laptop? What driver version are you using for your integrated and/or dedicated graphics cards and what model are they? (i.e.: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 4000 for integrated and nVidia GeForce GTX 540M, etc for dedicated.)

To see your driver version:
1: Press the Windows Key + R
2: Type in dxdiag
3: Click Display
4: On the right it should say the Version and Date for the driver.

I'd really prefer to use Windows 8.1 for FFXI. It's the more current OS and as such will receive updates for longer than 7, and I own a full license for it. My license for 7 is an OEM one that I'd have to transfer via phone.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Dyshonest
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dyshonest
By Lakshmi.Dyshonest 2015-01-16 18:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm almost positive the Vista/7 client for PlayOnline is the normal client now. I don't recall any differences between them at all (not even version number) the one time I installed it to test something.

That update they want you to download seems to be specific to DirectX 9, I wonder if there's a similar equivalent for DirectX 8?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [302 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Darkhavans
Server: Odin
By Odin.Darkhavans 2015-11-14 21:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I have tried every single potential solution for this problem and still no luck. Has there been any developments on this issue or are we still SOL if we have an MSI laptop with this type of graphics? Is there any potential workaround or driver version that anybody has gotten to work? This is unbelievably frustrating...
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [199 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Aqeeb
Server: Leviathan
user: Aqeeb
By Leviathan.Aqeeb 2016-05-31 20:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Has this been figured out yet?