Obamas War Without Congress Approval

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Obamas war without congress approval
Obamas war without congress approval
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 19
By Jetackuu 2014-09-14 00:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Michiiru said: »
especially with what he's done to things like cuts to education,
lolwhat? Obama doesn't make the budget...
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-14 00:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I see Obama's gone from power-drunk tyrant back to do-nothing empty suit. Does it just cycle between the two every day at midnight?
Jetackuu said: »
lolwhat?
Pretty much.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-14 00:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I see Obama's gone from power-drunk tyrant back to do-nothing empty suit. Does it just cycle between the two every day at JPmidnight?
lolwhat?
Pretty much.
ftfy
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-14 01:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Um, the POTUS proposes a budget every year. Whether or not it gets passed is another thing, but he's a part of the budget process.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-14 01:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Um, the POTUS proposes a budget every year. Whether or not it gets passed is another thing, but he's a part of the budget process.

he's supposed to be, but one fortunate byproduct of not getting his proposals done on time or at all, is that he's not to blame at all for the congressional budgets. It is also relevant that congress hasn't actually passed a budget in at least 3 years.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-14 01:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

and then congress takes it, laughs at it and writes their own, this is known knowledge, your point?

I also want to see a source for the actual claim.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-14 01:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

he's supposed to be, but one fortunate byproduct of not getting his proposals done on time or at all, is that he's not to blame at all for the congressional budgets. It is also relevant that congress hasn't actually passed a budget in at least 3 years.

I guess so, but that doesn't mean he hasn't had an influence on appropriations bills passed by Congress.

Also,
I see Obama's gone from power-drunk tyrant back to do-nothing empty suit. Does it just cycle between the two every day at midnight?
So, are you going to actually man up and defend the president's actions or just take shots at forum posters as usual?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-14 02:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess so, but that doesn't mean he hasn't had an influence on appropriations bills passed by Congress.

Also,
So, are you going to actually man up and defend the president's actions or just take shots at forum posters as usual?

It also doesn't mean he has, that's a red herring. When congress manages to pass a budget, we can talk about PotUS's role in it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-14 02:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough, but keep in mind that Obama doesn't have to directly affect the congressional budget to make cuts to education. He's already eliminated at least 16 programs in the Department of Education. Whether or not those were justified is another story. Quite frankly, I don't care. I'm just pointing out that Michiiru wasn't necessarily wrong.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 03:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If there's another war and Congress doesn't approve it but Obama thinks he can, I'll personally get a march going and go to DC to protest a vote of no confidence on his ***. I refuse to pay my taxes to support a war that the people are against but their idiot of a president thinks he can do w/e the *** he wants.

It's not war unless the congress approves it, but the President can and has engaged in "conflicts" numerous times without congressional approval, and they don't require it. He's the commander in chief of the armed forces, if there's a threat to the US he can deploy them as he sees fit. Now there's international agreements and stuff one has to deal with, and there's always consequences and the issues of funding, but yadayada.

Basically: just because you don't like that he does something doesn't change the fact that he can do it, and is allowed to.
There is no threat to the US atm. Drug cartels in Mexico pose a greater threat than ISIS.

US officials (I'll have to look) have come out and said ISIS poses no threat to the US.

It's just Obama and McCain (few others too) once again trying to overthrown a government. And by doing so have decided to help terrorists by claiming other terrorist pose more of a threat.

And now ISIS has taken the step of brokering a non agressive pact to not fight against any of the terrorist (aka moderate rebels) the US has backed and is trying to back again.

Obama can't declare war on Syria because it hasn't done anything to warrant it. Last year he tried the whole WMD thing and failed.

Obama can't declare war on Syria because he doesn't have the authority to declare war, that power rests with congress.
Technically he can't, that's why last year he played up the notion of going before Congress for "limited" missile strikes. How did that work? Oh right he knew he didn't have the support so he backed down the rhetoric.

Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-14 03:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What's there to defend? Nothing stopping Congress from rescinding the powers that make this stuff possible other than the fact that it's super convenient to dump the responsibilities of their job onto the President. There doesn't seem to be much disagreement with the necessity of military intervention but the insistence that Obama run it by Congress is just more political theater designed to appeal to the subset of individuals who would pitch a fit no matter what the President decided to do. So, yes, a little internal consistency would be nice.

Yay, endless cycle of middle east violence.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-14 03:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does pointing out quite blatantly inconsistent expectations constitute "taking shots at forum posters"?

Why should he need to defend an action he may not agree with, just because?

Frankly, there is a pretty prevailent problem of hating or liking something just because of the person who is doing it, regardless of the circumstances (from both sides). That's a pretty big issue.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 03:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hours before Barack Obama is to announce an expanded military campaign against Islamic State (Isis) militants, his senior homeland security official assessed that the organization poses no imminent danger to America at home.

“At present, we have no credible information that [Isis] is planning to attack the homeland of the United States,” Homeland Security secretary Jeh Johnson told a Manhattan audience on Wednesday.

Johnson is the latest in a string of top US officials to concede that the jihadist army currently in control of much of eastern Syria and northern and central Iraq is not targeting the US at present, despite beheading two captured American journalists.

Last week, the head of the US National Counterterrorism Center, Matthew Olsen, issued nearly the exact same phrase. Earlier on Wednesday, Olsen’s deputy told a congressional panel that al-Qaida’s affiliates pose the greatest threat of a domestic attack, with Isis threatening US interests primarily “inside Iraq right now.”

Similarly, when the leaders of US intelligence agencies provided their annual threat assessments to congressional oversight committees in January and February, they stressed a domestic threat emanating from a rival jihadist group. The Nusra Front, al-Qaida’s preferred Syrian affiliate, “does have aspirations for attacks on the homeland,” director of national intelligence James Clapper said, weeks after Isis invaded the Iraqi city of Fallujah. He and his colleagues gave relatively scant focus to Isis, which has now upended the Obama administration’s foreign policy.
'No credible information that Isis planning to attack the US'

The groups that Obama wants to arm fight along side the ones who pose the greatest threat to the U.S. according to the head of the US Counterterrorism Center and the director of national intelligence.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 03:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Why does pointing out quite blatantly inconsistent expectations constitute "taking shots at forum posters"?

Why should he need to defend an action he may not agree with, just because?

Frankly, there is a pretty prevailent problem of hating or liking something just because of the person who is doing it, regardless of the circumstances (from both sides). That's a pretty big issue.
What blatant inconsistencies are you referring to?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-14 12:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well those have been the cornerstones of his administration.

If he hasn't been forcing increased healthcare costs on the middle class he's been incredibly passive in his actions against ISIS.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-14 14:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Even Western-backed FSA doesn't seem to think ISIS is a concern atm.

Quote:
US President Barack Obama delivers a live televised address to the nation on his plans for military action against the Islamic State, from the Cross Hall of the White House in Washington September 10, 2014.

President Barack Obama would seek to overthrow the regime of Bashar al-Assad if American planes were attacked upon entering Syrian air space, Peter Baker of The New York Times reports .

If Assad's troops f ired at American planes entering Syrian airspace, "Obama said he would order American forces to wipe out Syria’s air defense system," Baker reports. "He went on to say that such an action by Mr. Assad would lead to his overthrow, according to one account."

On Wednesday, Obama announced that he had authorized US airstrikes in Syria while laying out a four-part strategy to "destroy" and "eradicate" radical ISIS militants who have captured roughly a third of Syria and a third of Iraq.

Since August, US warplanes have backed Iraqi soldiers, Kurdish peshmerga fighters, and Iranian-backed Shia militiamen as they attempt to roll back ISIS gains in Iraq.

Baker, who spoke with 10 people who spoke to the president leading up to his speech on Wednesday, writes that Obama " struck his guests as less certain about the endgame on the Syrian side, where he has called for Mr. Assad to step down and must now rely on the same moderate Syrian rebels he refused to arm in the past."

Syrian rebels associated with the Western-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) have scoffed at Obama's plan, saying that it rushes to target ISIS while ignoring Assad.

"I don't really understand this sudden fuss about ISIS," one FSA fighter told The Guardian. "They killed people, but Bashar has been killing for the last three years. But nobody seems to be interested in that anymore."

Opposition fighters note that simply bombing ISIS will not stop the criminal army and that a comprehensive plan is needed to deal with both ISIS and Assad.

"Instead of bombing ISIS from the air, we need support inside Syria to fight. It's the only way," Mohammed Al Bakhour, 31, a senior commander of an Aleppo-based FSA battalion, told the Guardian . "Once Assad is gone, we'll deal with ISIS ourselves."
Source
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-14 15:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame the Egyptian military.
Its all their fault.
If they had allowed Morsi to hold power and not illegally overthrown the first democratically elected president in 4 decades, there would be a lot more stability within the region.

The entire situation in Syria and Iraq is a direct consequence of that military coup.

The powers that be that were backing the democratic revolution in the Arab world decided to fight back through funding 5th columns and arming them.

On the opposite side, their rivals, also decided to fund other factions to settle the score with existing arab regimes, while also fighting popular revolutionists.

The situation for as long as I can remember has been:

-Israel is over there, they're coming if we don't keep them at bay.

-Iran is on the other side, they're coming if we don't keep them at bay.

-America sells us weapons and protects our borders as long as our currency is pegged to the dollar.

Now its:
- Al Qaeda are coming.
- The Iranians are coming.
- The houthies are coming.
- The Revolutionists are coming.
- Israel has started and its only a matter of time before we confront them at our borders.
- The Muslim Brotherhood are everywhere - you could be one of them
- Everyone thinks everyone is a muslim brotherhood member, be careful not to speak about Islam.
- If they don't think you're a muslim brotherhood member, then you must be Al Qaeda or a Huzb El Tahrir member or a CIA or Mossad agent.
- America is plotting against the region
- Turkey wants it Ottoman empire back
- Libya and Egypt are going to war
- Libya wont exist in 5 years
- The Kurds are going to make their own country. Turkey will attack no doubt.

Its gotten pretty *** looney over here in the past year.
 Leviathan.Xsoahc
By Leviathan.Xsoahc 2014-09-15 12:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
- The Muslim Brotherhood are everywhere - you could be one of them
Sounds like a new campaign slogan.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-15 12:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind. *** it all.*

Sometimes I really wish I could believe in a God who would punish people for the actual horrible things they do.

"Rape and pillage and murder, but believe in me? Welcome to heaven!"

"Behave, help others, live your life in exemplary fashion, but don't believe in me? -- BURN FOR ETERNITY!"

The world is ***.

*had a reply posted regarding ISIS. Pointless I guess.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-15 13:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

World keeps on turning, bad people keep on being bad.

Congress is content to continue throwing President X (where X = whoever was dumb enough to run) under the bus whenever military action is taken to puff up their own political profiles. Considering what happened the last time Congress voted to pew pew Iraq, I doubt we'll be seeing anything more than the yelling from the sidelines that is commonplace in these such moments. BOMB EM! COWARD! LOSER! CALCULATING STRATEGIST! CHESSMASTER!

Kudos to trying a military alliance against ISIS though I always laugh at how this would be the PERFECT time for a jihad to be declared by Muslims against these cretin. Sign up for the counter-Caliphate, dedicated to kicking ISIS *** and serving Allah cause if this ain't anti-Allah, I dunno what the *** is.

What a flight of fancy that'd be.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-15 13:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Nevermind. *** it all.*

Sometimes I really wish I could believe in a God who would punish people for the actual horrible things they do.

"Behave, help others, live your life in exemplary fashion, but don't believe in me? -- BURN FOR ETERNITY!"

The world is ***.

I don't know of any of the 3 abrahamic religions that preach that dude.

About ISIS - again, its an organization with political ambitions.

Religion mixed with politics has ALWAYS been the problem. There's nothing wrong with religion. Man, will use whatever advantage and resources he can to manipulate others towards their ambitions.

Psychopaths hide behind religion, behind flags, behind position and professions to get what they want.
You can't say religion is at the root of it. Mankind would be at war with itself regardless.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-15 14:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Nevermind. *** it all.*

The world is ***.

Religion mixed with politics has ALWAYS been the problem. There's nothing wrong with religion. Man, will use whatever advantage and resources he can to manipulate others towards their ambitions.

Psychopaths hide behind religion, behind flags, behind position and professions to get what they want.
You can't say religion is at the root of it. Mankind would be at war with itself regardless.

That's all religion is. It's man using an advantage/resource to manipulate others. That's all. That's. ***. All. The advantage is people's ignorance and willingness to suspend disbelief of utter fantasy.

Whatever. Not getting into it with you again.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-15 14:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind. *** it all.*

The world is ***.

All religion is is man using an advantage/resource to manipulate others. That's all. That's. ***. All.

Whatever. Not getting into it with you again.

Weak.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-15 14:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nevermind. *** it all.*

The world is ***.

Just because I'm feeling a little salty, what's right with religion and when are religion and politics ever mutually exclusive?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-15 14:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The religious certainly have their share of problems, but a lot of good is done in the name of religion that is ignored because people like to focus on the psychopaths. When atheists prove themselves to be the moral superiors of the world by their actions instead of their armchair philosophies, we can talk. As of now we have the same mixture of atheists that use it to do good as well as evil, just like the religious.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-15 14:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Most atheists don't think about complex morality in terms of right and wrong and I rarely see them claim the moral high ground the way religious people do. They aren't a collective with a common theme, they're just people who don't have a particular opinion about the intangible.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-15 14:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The religious certainly have their share of problems, but a lot of good is done in the name of religion that is ignored because people like to focus on the psychopaths. When atheists prove themselves to be the moral superiors of the world by their actions instead of their armchair philosophies, we can talk. As of now we have the same mixture of atheists that use it to do good as well as evil, just like the religious.

How is it even possible to do evil with atheism? You can't say "lack of God made me do this"; that's basically just admitting you're a sick ***.

I have never denied the good religion has done the world; all I was really saying -- before Blaze piped up with his need to defend religions from their own extremists -- was that I wish there really was a God who would punish those same extremists.

Yes I took a dig at religious doctrine in the process, but that's because religious doctrine is ridiculous and I have a hard time helping myself while sitting behind the safety of internet anonymity.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-15 14:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Most atheists don't think about complex morality in terms of right and wrong and I rarely see them claim the moral high ground the way religious people do. They aren't a collective with a common theme, they're just people who don't have a particular opinion about the intangible.

Well, agree with you until the last part; obviously you have an opinion, as you're an atheist; not an uncaring agnostic.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-15 14:50:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Weak.

In case you've missed past threads, I've gone on several pages with this fellow about this topic. There's nothing new to be gained.

If you agree with him that it's weak that I won't engage him yet again on this topic, just go track down some of the other threads. You already probably don't agree with me, so you can go ahead and re-enforce your position that way.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-15 14:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You can play semantics with me, but whether you call it evil or something else, there are things that even atheists deem "right" or "wrong".
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 19