California Banning Plastic Bags

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California Banning Plastic Bags
California Banning Plastic Bags
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 10:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
California passes plastic bag ban, would be first such law in U.S.

SACRAMENTO Calif. (Reuters) - The California state legislature enacted a ban on plastic grocery bags on Friday near the end of its two-year session, a measure that if signed into law would become the first of its kind in America.

A number of cities and counties in California and other U.S. states, including Hawaii's Maui County, have made it illegal for grocery stores to pack purchases in plastic. But at the state level, opposition from plastic bag makers has usually prevailed.

The California Senate voted 22-15 for the bill, which must be signed into law by Sept. 30 by Democratic Governor Jerry Brown, who has not signaled a position on the measure.

"Single-use plastic bags not only litter our beaches, but also our mountains, our deserts, and our rivers, streams and lakes," said state Senator Alex Padilla, who sponsored the bill.

Padilla backed a similar measure last year but it failed by three votes. The fate of this bill was uncertain until the waning hours of the session after falling three votes short in the state's Assembly on Monday.

But after picking up the support of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, the bill passed a second vote in the Assembly.

The measure would ban grocery stores from handing out single-use grocery bags with customers' purchases, and provide money to local plastic bag companies to retool to make heavier, multiple-use bags that customers could buy.

Environmentalists have pushed for banning plastic bags, which are cheaper for supermarkets to use than paper bags, but create mountains of trash that is difficult to recycle. In California, there is particular concern that the bags, when swept out to sea, could harm ocean life.

After the defeat of his earlier bill, Padilla won the support of some California-based bag makers by including the funding for retooling. But in recent months, out-of-state manufacturers campaigned against the bill, even producing television advertisements targeting Padilla, who is running for secretary of state.

Cathy Browne, general manager at Crown Poly, a plastic bag manufacturer in Huntington Park, California, said the bill would lead to layoffs at companies like hers.

More than 10 billion plastic bags are used in California each year, according to an estimate by Californians Against Waste, an advocacy group supporting the bill.

Source
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 10:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ppl often question the massive amount of time spent on issues in the federal government. So this line was what actually got my attention more then the ban itself.

Quote:
The California state legislature enacted a ban on plastic grocery bags on Friday near the end of its two-year session,

Cali legislature had a 2 year session on plastic bags...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-30 10:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me, but why exactly is this thread worthy?
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-08-30 10:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It relates to the Pacific Garbage patch... it's kind of a big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Quote:
Estimates of size range from 700,000 square kilometres (270,000 sq mi) to more than 15,000,000 square kilometres (5,800,000 sq mi) (0.41% to 8.1% of the size of the Pacific Ocean), or, in some media reports, up to "twice the size of the continental United States"
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-30 10:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I always reuse my grocery bags as garbage bags
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-30 10:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

2 years is the length of their sessions not how long they spent talking about plastic bags >.>
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-30 11:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
I always reuse my grocery bags as garbage bags
3 likes already.

I'd like to emphasize that I am still an ***. Couldn't give 2 shits about the environment. I just like free trash bags
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-30 11:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hawaii (or at least Maui) has a ban on disposable grocery bags. When my wife and I were there last year, we walked out of costco with our groceries in our arms like a couple of morons.

If people could be trusted to repurpose the bags or use less permanent materials like paper, these kinds of laws would be a lot less valuable. But, a weeks shopping for an average household is like 5-8 plastic bags, that's a lot of unnecessary garbage. It's also an expense for merchants that (theoretically) can now be saved and passed onto the consumer.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-30 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Plastic bags are cheaper. I'd like to see places switch back to paper. They were much more durable than the cheap plastic bags are now.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-30 11:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Plastic bags are cheaper. I'd like to see places switch back to paper. They were much more durable than the cheap plastic bags are now.
That's why you get them to double bag it! lol *** see me walk in the store w/ my bicycle (I don't leave it outside lol) and try to give me one bag when I'm getting a gang of 32 oz drinks
By fonewear 2014-08-30 11:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Excuse me, but why exactly is this thread worthy?

Because save the planet !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-30 11:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
That's why you get them to double bag it! lol *** see me walk in the store w/ my bicycle (I don't leave it outside lol) and try to give me one bag when I'm getting a gang of 32 oz drinks
Walmart bags need to be triple bagged sometimes, lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-30 11:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

At least with the paper bags, not only can you reuse them for garbage bags, but back in grade school and middle school, I was able to use them as book covers too.

Can't do that with plastic bags.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-30 11:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm disappointed I need plastic bags so I can be that guy from American Beauty.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-30 11:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

My gripe w/ paper bags are the lack of handles (at least any one I've ever seen)
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-30 11:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like the bag and I were dancing and I thought I better recycle this.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-30 12:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

My gripe w/ paper bags are the lack of handles (at least any one I've ever seen)

That's honestly one of the reasons that plastic bags are so popular. There are paper bags with handles, but they cost a lot more than plastic bags, so supermarkets don't use them. My family has owned a grocery store for ~90 years, and they recently started carrying them in place of plastic bags as well as selling reusable bags at cost.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 12:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm for "protect the environment" and all, but this is stupid and a waste of time and money.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-08-30 13:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ours look like this

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-30 13:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It costs quite a bit of time and money to actually deal with the pollution itself.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 13:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Have at it Cali.
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2014-08-30 13:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

A bag for my beer cost me an additional 10 cents in San Francisco, I had to walk like 22 blocks and needed my walking brew.

There has been a ton of talk about this in the check-out lines in Sacramento. I've heard some pretty good points that mostly reflected economic reasoning as opposed to environmental (which should come at no surprise).

I recycle my plastic bags into trash bags for random ***and also literally recycle them into the bin. I'd like to think I do my part but until I start with those reusable grocery bags, I guess I aint ***.
By Altimaomega 2014-08-30 13:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I made it for 15 minutes, DARE you to do better!
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 13:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

That's honestly one of the reasons that plastic bags are so popular. There are paper bags with handles, but they cost a lot more than plastic bags, so supermarkets don't use them. My family has owned a grocery store for ~90 years, and they recently started carrying them in place of plastic bags as well as selling reusable bags at cost.

I always thought that even when i was around 5. I liked paper bags better but the lack of a handle is discouraging. Instead of hanging then form your hand you now have to actually lift them more. And the few paper bags that had handles usually ripped vry easily and they became worthless.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 14:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I'm for "protect the environment" and all, but this is stupid and a waste of time and money.

everything costs money tho. Using stuff that's good or bad for our future will cost money. Its not like plastic is free or something.

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
It relates to the Pacific Garbage patch... it's kind of a big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Quote:
Estimates of size range from 700,000 square kilometres (270,000 sq mi) to more than 15,000,000 square kilometres (5,800,000 sq mi) (0.41% to 8.1% of the size of the Pacific Ocean), or, in some media reports, up to "twice the size of the continental United States"

And with things like that, we kinda should do something...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-30 14:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

I always thought that even when i was around 5. I liked paper bags better but the lack of a handle is discouraging. Instead of hanging then form your hand you now have to actually lift them more. And the few paper bags that had handles usually ripped vry easily and they became worthless.

Yeah, the ones we use are similar to the one posted, it's hard to compare them to plastic based on strength, because they tend to be larger and hold more.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 14:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Obligatory:

Quote:
Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are f***ed. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We’ve been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we’re a threat? That somehow we’re gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles…hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages…And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet…the planet…the planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE!

- George Carlin
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-30 14:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lies You've Been Told About the Pacific Garbage Patch
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6