Catholics Persecuting The Jews?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Catholics persecuting the Jews?
Catholics persecuting the Jews?
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-29 08:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Jewish community 'forced out' of Guatemalan village

Members of the Orthodox Jewish community attend a meeting with leaders of San Juan La Laguna community at the headquarters of the Human Rights Office in Guatemala City, August 27, 2014.

A community of 230 Orthodox Jews from several countries Thursday began leaving the Guatemalan Indian village where they have lived for six years after claims and counterclaims of discrimination and threats.

Their exit from San Juan La Laguna, on the banks of Lake Atitlan and 200 kilometers (125 miles) from the capital Guatemala City, follows a meeting Wednesday in which Jewish and indigenous representatives failed to reach an agreement.

"We are a people of peace and in order to avoid an incident we've already begun to leave the village," Misael Santos, a representative from the Jewish community, told AFP.

They had received threats, Santos said.

"We have a right to be there, but they threatened us with lynching if we don't leave the village," he added.

Most members of the small Jewish community are from the United States, Israel, Britain and Russia, and around 40 are Guatemalan. Approximately half are children.

Since October, the local indigenous population has accused the Orthodox Jews of discriminating against them and of violating Mayan customs.

The Council of Indigenous Elders said the Jewish community "wanted to impose their religion" and was undermining the Catholic faith that is predominant in the village.

"We act in self-defense and to respect our rights as indigenous people. The (Guatemalan) constitution protects us because we need to conserve and preserve our culture," council spokesman Miguel Vasquez told AFP.

Source
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-29 08:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that religious persecuting is a new thing, but it always amazes me that some ppl think it doesn't exist anymore outside of areas like the middle east...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-29 08:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it happened in one suburb in a city in Central America doesn't mean that it is happening everywhere.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 08:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Because it happened in one suburb in a city in Central America doesn't mean that it is happening everywhere.

Oh come on, King. You and I are constantly persecuting Christians merely by existing and not wanting their language and belief structure in every aspect of our lives.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-29 08:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

Oh come on, King. You and I are constantly persecuting Christians Jews merely by existing and not wanting their language and belief structure in every aspect of our lives.
fixed for the hip thing to do today.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 09:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh come on, King. You and I are constantly persecuting Christians Jews merely by existing and not wanting their language and belief structure in every aspect of our lives.

I'm a hipster persecuter. Hating on Jews is too mainstream.

This week I'm going to be down on Zoroastrianism.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-29 09:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a hipster persecuter. Hating on Jews is too mainstream.

This week I'm going to be down on Zoroastrianism.
This week I'm against Zuul, the Gatekeeper of Gozer, and all of his/her's naughtiness.

Also, don't forget Gozer, damn him and his puffiness.

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 09:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

What did you do, Ray?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-29 09:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Religion gonna religion.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-29 09:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Luckily for them, Altana is benevolent and will overlook the worship of idols and myths. We must all work harder to rid ourselves of the emptiness within, lest Promathia claim us all. I try to make it down to the Statue of the Goddess at least once a week to offer my prayers to the crystal.

Oh and don't *** with the Church of San'D Oria. They put RDMs in crates 'n ***. Nasty lot they are.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 09:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Luckily for them, Altana is benevolent and will overlook the worship of idols and myths. We must all work harder to rid ourselves of the emptiness within, lest Promathia claim us all. I try to make it down to the Statue of the Goddess at least once a week to offer my prayers to the crystal.

Oh and don't *** with the Church of San'D Oria. They put RDMs in crates 'n ***. Nasty lot they are.

You can't blame the church for properly punishing excessive vanity.

Let's face it. Early red mages were extremely vain. All their, "look at be cast bio and kite things for hours, lol I'm great at solo'ing and you're all shitty!"

...they kinda deserved what they don't. Don't pretend it's not true.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-29 09:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

And those female RDMs wore quite revealing outfits too. Bright red leather tights. Provocative thighboots. Feather in cap. With a tail sticking out the rear end if you were a Mithra.

I mean, stuff like that just sends your male DD into a frenzy and that's before the Haste rotations. I'm just thankful the Church clamped down on that indecency and gave us modesty in the form of Scholars.

Praise be to Altana, she wept for us all.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-29 09:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Where were the RDMs for the Simurgh Campaigns?

Where were the RDMs when the Gates of Kirin opened up and the floods of the Shinjin washed over the lands?

Where were the RDMs.....

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 09:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Where were the RDMs for the Simurgh Campaigns?

Where were the RDMs when the Gates of Kirin opened up and the floods of the Shinjin washed over the lands?

Where were the RDMs.....

Don't sully Tolkien like that. =(

You want to talk about persecuting things I hold dear...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-29 09:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Tolkien is a dangerous liar and slanderer against Lord Sauron who only wanted to bring peace and order to the realms!

Or..

Sauron was seduced by the dark side of the force.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-08-29 09:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Tolkien is a dangerous liar and slanderer against Lord Sauron who only wanted to bring peace and order to the realms!

Or..

Sauron was seduced by the dark side of the force.

There is no Sauron, only Zuul.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-08-29 10:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Catholicism is not part of indigenous Guatemalan culture. Sounds like cognitive dissonance. Let alone the thread headline has been old hat going on 1500+ years now.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 10:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Catholicism is not part of indigenous Guatemalan culture. Sounds like cognitive dissonance. Let alone the thread headline has been old hat going on 1500+ years now.

Of course it was. The missionaries just had to force it upon them reveal the true words of God that they had been missing all that time.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-29 10:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a Guatemalaologist but haven't most of the contacted tribes become syncretic anyway? They call their beliefs Catholicism but much like Voodoo and Santeria, it's a combination of native with the dominant power structure.

tl;dr - Call your religion catholic so people listen to you but really you're just practicing some local customs with Jesus slathered on top.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 10:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a Guatemalaologist but haven't most of the contacted tribes become syncretic anyway? They call their beliefs Catholicism but much like Voodoo and Santeria, it's a combination of native with the dominant power structure.

tl;dr - Call your religion catholic so people listen to you but really you're just practicing some local customs with Jesus slathered on top.

...isn't that basically what Christianity is anyhow?

I mean, dress it up how you want, but...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-29 10:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Catholicism. They intentionally spread by taking over others' holy spots and telling them they were Catholic all along.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 10:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Catholicism. They intentionally spread by taking over others' holy spots and telling them they were Catholic all along.

While I accept that "Christianity" does not equate to "Catholicism" in the modern terminology, for the intents and purposes of this discussion, they're one and the same.

See turning a period of celebration over fertility and the beauty of life and *** into a holdiay about a gentle zombie. And later a rabbit that lays eggs. And taking away any all references to sex. Sex is bad and naughty.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-29 10:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a Guatemalaologist

yes you are, stop lying!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 10:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I'm not a Guatemalaologist

yes you are, stop lying!

Seriously. De Nile isn't even in Guatemala.

...side tracking question: Why did I google "Waka Waka" and get a bunch of pictures of some blond pop starlette?

WHY IS POP CORRUPTING FOZZIE THE BEAR'S CATCH PHRASE!?
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-29 12:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

In defense of the indijenas, they've been subjected to missionaries fot how many years? Their culture, language, and religion is a rarity in Latin America.

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Since October, the local indigenous population has accused the Orthodox Jews of discriminating against them and of violating Mayan customs.

The Council of Indigenous Elders said the Jewish community "wanted to impose their religion" and was undermining the Catholic faith that is predominant in the village.

Sounds like these missionaries are trying do the same thing the Catholic Church did to the indijenas hundreds of years ago.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 12:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

In defense of the indijenas, they've been subjected to missionaries fot how many years? Their culture, language, and religion is a rarity in Latin America.

Sounds like these Jewish missionaries are trying do the same thing the Catholic Church did to the indijenas hundreds of years ago.

Catholics got there first. Back off, Jews. We get to dogmatize them!
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-29 12:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more than that. Juan Diego's vision of the Virgin Mary is the foundation of Latin America's Catholicism. It "coincidentally" bridges the link between indijena culture and Catholicism.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-29 12:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more than that. Juan Diego's vision of the Virgin Mary is the foundation of Latin America's Catholicism. It "coincidentally" bridges the link between indijena culture and Catholicism.

Yes, yes.

Now tithe the Vatican already.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-29 12:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like these Jewish missionaries are trying do the same thing the Catholic Church did to the indijenas hundreds of years ago.

/waits for this guy to turn on the jews now
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-08-29 12:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

And in other news, bears still ***in the woods.
[+]
First Page 2