St. Louis, Missouri Vs. The Police: Heaven Or Hell, Duel 1! Let's Rock!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » St. Louis, Missouri Vs. The Police: Heaven or Hell, Duel 1! Let's rock!
St. Louis, Missouri Vs. The Police: Heaven or Hell, Duel 1! Let's rock!
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 31 32 33
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 07:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
But the media is a closed-nit community. There isn't much variation between reporters and news broadcasters, and the treatment is nearly the same overall.

This is a big part of the reason that, despite my degree in journalism, I never wanted to be a reporter. It's not even entirely their fault, though. The public has a right to know certain things, but frequently officials -- both civil servants and private industries with a public face -- make it very difficult to get ahold of that information. Sometimes not even maliciously; they simply don't want to deal with yet another person asking them questions.

But basically, to be a good reporter you've got to be willing to be an annoying, nosy jerk sometimes. There's no getting around it. Because the bottom line is that the people do have a right to know.

It just wasn't a facet of the field that ever called to me. The limited reporting I have done always made me quite uncomfortable. It's not within my personality type.

As far as the police go, I think most reasonable-sized departments (and all state police, as far as I know) have officers specifically designated to deal with the press, and in some cases contact the press before the press can contact them.

I've dealt with the Pennsylvania State Police trooper who does that in our area. He's a really good guy and does everything he can to ensure a good flow of information.

But yeah. In my experience (I know, I know, anecdotal evidence waagh!) most of the people who allege police "harassment" are just bitching that they got caught comitting a moving violation or other minor crime.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-08-21 08:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Guy gets beheaded by terrorist gets maybe 20 seconds of news coverage...that doesn't add up to me.

Not trying to equate death of people but I think terrorism is a much bigger threat than cops.

You finally made the comparison. I think you start to understand.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 08:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Guy gets beheaded by terrorist gets maybe 20 seconds of news coverage...that doesn't add up to me.

Not trying to equate death of people but I think terrorism is a much bigger threat than cops.

You found one of those 2.68185646% posts that Fone is serious.

The comparison was already made, he just (finally) posted the obvious.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-08-21 08:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry, but you are far more likely to be killed by s cop in this country than by a terrorist.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 08:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

wormfeeder said: »

sorry, but you are far more likely to be killed by s cop in this country than by a terrorist.
I don't think you see the issue....
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-08-21 08:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

oh I see the issue. white cop kills a black man grabs more media ratings than a us reporter getting beheaded.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 08:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

oh I see the issue. white cop kills a black man grabs more media ratings than a us reporter getting beheaded.
Then how does that equate to:

sorry, but you are far more likely to be killed by s a cop in this country than by a terrorist.

I don't think anyone could piece either responses together.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-08-21 09:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we all share the same feelings in front of a reporter being beheaded by terrorists while we can't agree that shooting an unarmed kid 6 times is bad. That is why there is a debate for this and not for the previous.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 09:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we all share the same feelings in front of a reporter being beheaded by terrorists while we can't agree that shooting an unarmed kid 6 times is bad.
What we can't agree is that the kid wasn't acting in a manner that wasn't threatening the police officer.

Was the kid unarmed when he was shot? Evidence states yes.
Was the kid trying to get the police officer's gun? That is up for debate.
Was the kid breaking the law when the officer confronted him? Yes.
Did the kid rob a store prior to being confronted? Evidence states yes.

Makes you wonder if the kid really did have his hands up when the officer shot him, like his friend said. His friend, who also committed a crime during and prior to the confrontation.
By fonewear 2014-08-21 09:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hands up don't judge me bro !
[+]
By wormfeeder 2014-08-21 09:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we all share the same feelings in front of a reporter being beheaded by terrorists while we can't agree that shooting an unarmed kid 6 times is bad. That is why there is a debate for this and not for the previous.
anyone with half a brain can see that shooting an unarmed person is bad. unless said person is breaking into your house and threatening you and you loved ones with threats of violence or death. I will call the cops after he has been render inert.
[+]
 Asura.Melbufrauma
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-08-21 09:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if this was posted or not but police released the video, i'd say the officer was totally justified in shooting him as you can clearly hear and see the police say "drop the knife!" as he was walking closer and closer to them with hands in his pocket. I would of shot him too if in that scenario. Link
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-08-21 09:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone with half a brain can see that shooting an unarmed person is bad. unless said person is breaking into your house and threatening you and you loved ones with threats of violence or death. I will call the cops after he has been render inert.

If he breaks into your house, it is called self-defence no?
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-21 09:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melbufrauma said: »
Not sure if this was posted or not but police released the video, i'd say the officer was totally justified in shooting him as you can clearly hear and see the police say "drop the knife!" as he was walking closer and closer to them with hands in his pocket. I would of shot him too if in that scenario. Link
Um.

Not the same shooting. Different guy and this happened yesterday, day before? No dates in that statement but it says
Quote:
There were no arrests or reports of injuries.The national spotlight is on Dotson's handling of Tuesday's shooting, which comes within two weeks of the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old shot and killed by Ferguson Patrolman Darren Wilson.

**The link contains a description of the events, no need to watch the video
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-21 09:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we all share the same feelings in front of a reporter being beheaded by terrorists while we can't agree that shooting an unarmed kid 6 times is bad.
What we can't agree is that the kid wasn't acting in a manner that wasn't threatening the police officer.

Makes you wonder if the kid really did have his hands up when the officer shot him, like his friend said. His friend, who also committed a crime during and prior to the confrontation.

I don't know why you want to paint this kid as a criminal so badly. petty theft isn't a capital offense, & whether he was guilty of petty theft really has absolutely nothing to do with him being gunned downed in the street.

the bolded is all that really matters in this instance. smoking a joint & stealing a few 40's or cigarettes or w/e they stole falls entirely under "boys will be boys" as far as I'm concerned.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-21 09:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-08-21 10:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melbufrauma said: »

Are you sure these cops are well trained?
If they are not I understand better why they systematically resort to shoot people.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-21 10:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

/stalloneslurs

IAMTHELAW!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 10:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
/stalloneslurs

IAMTHELAW!

I actually enjoy that movie for it's camp element. It's sort of great in it's level of terrible. And the amount of good actors in that movie makes me think the whole thing is one big in-joke.

But it's really too bad that it was a JD movie, because it completely and utterly misses the point of the comic. -.-;
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 10:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know why you want to paint this kid as a criminal so badly. petty theft isn't a capital offense, & whether he was guilty of petty theft really has absolutely nothing to do with him being gunned downed in the street.

the bolded is all that really matters in this instance. smoking a joint & stealing a few 40's or cigarettes or w/e they stole falls entirely under "boys will be boys" as far as I'm concerned.
If the kid is a law abiding citizen, as many claim him to be, then one would have reasonable confirmation that the kid, as some reports claimed otherwise, did not reach for the officer's gun.

I'm not the one painting the kid to be a criminal, I'm just reporting events that would lead to the real question, as you bolded.

"Boys will be boys" can also include reckless endangerment of life, and reaching for the gun, intention to kill the officer or not, is probable cause for self-defense of the officer.

Why are you trying to paint the kid as a saint and martyr when he clearly is not?
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-21 10:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you trying to paint the kid as a saint and martyr when he clearly is not?

I am? where do you dream this ***up?

If the kid is a law abiding citizen, as many claim him to be, then one would have reasonable confirmation that the kid, as some reports claimed otherwise, did not reach for the officer's gun.

I'm not the one painting the kid to be a criminal, I'm just reporting events that would lead to the real question, as you bolded.

"Boys will be boys" can also include reckless endangerment of life, and reaching for the gun, intention to kill the officer or not, is probable cause for self-defense of the officer.

I hate to teach you another fallacy after 6 months of hearing you scream 'STRAWMAN!' but have you ever heard of the false cause fallacy?
By volkom 2014-08-21 10:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

the guy was probably like this when he confronted the cop

[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-21 10:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

the guy was probably like this when he confronted the cop

More like this:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 10:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I am? where do you dream this ***up?

I hate to teach you another fallacy after 6 months of hearing you scream 'STRAWMAN!' but have you ever heard of the false cause fallacy?
And yet, you are saying that I'm painting him as a criminal.

Who's strawman who again?
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-08-21 10:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard that the cop is injured. Why did he wait 10days to show his injuries?
And I truly hope that being a saint is not a requirement to avoid being shot in the USA. I have no halo above my head, it could be dangerous to spend my vacations in your country next year.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-21 10:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
because it completely and utterly misses the point of the comic. -.-;

I sold my comic book collection to buy diapers and other baby essentials.... twenty years ago...

and then never bought another one.

comics were so much more awesome before they became popular as collector items and people started to buy first editions as investments and then the comic book makers started designing them to be collectible and it all went down hill from there and I quit caring...

the early dredd comics are so awesome.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-21 10:41:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget boys and girls.

It's only a fallacy when you are losing an argument.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 10:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
because it completely and utterly misses the point of the comic. -.-;

I sold my comic book collection to buy diapers and other baby essentials.... twenty years ago...

and then never bought another one.

comics were so much more awesome before they became popular as collector items and people started to buy first editions as investments and then the comic book makers started designing them to be collectible and it all went down hill from there and I quit caring...

the early dredd comics are so awesome.

Yeah, all the gold foil covers and whatnot blah blah blah.

Anymore I pickup a few graphic novels/compelations per year digitally. But many those comics of 15-20 years ago. Back when Image was just starting, I loved all of their stuff.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-21 10:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

you are saying that I'm painting him as a criminal.

yet you bring up two accusations that have 0 bearing on whether a person should have his brains splattered across the street...

hhhmmmmmm hmmmmm.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-21 10:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard that the cop is injured. Why did he wait 10days to show his injuries?
And I truly hope that being a saint is not a requirement to avoid being shot in the USA. I have no halo above my head, it could be dangerous to spend my vacations in your country next year.

Are you black? If so, expect a free flight home in a bodybag.

And whatever you do, don't question the police, they'll break your *** arms for resisting and murder you if you make any sudden movements. Welcome to the United States of Overreaction, enjoy your stay.

Also, burning crosses are part of the tour experience. Just take pictures and get the hell out of town before the sun rises.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 31 32 33