Wikipedia Blocks Disruptive Edits From US Congress

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Wikipedia blocks disruptive edits from US Congress
Wikipedia blocks disruptive edits from US Congress
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-07-26 12:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Wikipedia has blocked editing rights from some computers at the US House of Representatives in response to "disruptive" revisions of the online encyclopedia.

Wikipedia has blocked editing rights from some computers at the US House of Representatives in response to "disruptive" revisions of the online encyclopedia.

A 10-day ban imposed Thursday blocked any editing from an IP address at the US Capitol, which is shared among a number of computers.

"You have been blocked from editing for a period of 10 days for persistent disruptive editing," a Wikipedia posting said.

The move came after unusual revisions were pointed out by Twitter account @congressedits, which describes itself as "a bot that tweets anonymous Wikipedia edits that are made from IP addresses in the US Congress."

The account was created by a software developer named Ed Summers.

Some of the changes, which were later undone, said that John F. Kennedy's assassin Lee Harvey Oswald acted "on behalf of Fidel Castro" and that the news blog Mediaite was "sexist" and "transphobic."

While Wikipedia allows users to contribute and edit entries, it also monitors for unverified or unsubstantiated comments.

A notice posted on one of the anonymous entries from Congress said: "Please refrain from making unconstructive edits to Wikipedia... Your edits appear to constitute vandalism and have been reverted or removed.

"Administrators have the ability to block users from editing if they repeatedly engage in vandalism."

A spokeswoman at the Wikimedia Foundation, which operates Wikipedia, pointed out that the block only applies to a single IP address, not all computers located in Congress.

"The Wikipedia community is the arbiter of administrative decisions related to community editorial policies," spokeswoman Katherin Maher said in an email.

"In this case, the decision was made by a member of the English Wikipedia community, based on their assessment that the IP address in question was being used for disruptive editing. Wikipedia English has a behavioral guideline against disruptive editing."

Source
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-26 12:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

That's interesting but weird at the same time.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-26 12:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Wikipedia's main point was lazy college students that can't find legitimate citations. But you learn something new everyday.
[+]
By oldman 2014-07-26 12:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I thought Wikipedia's main point was lazy college students that can't find legitimate citations. But you learn something new everyday.

Wow, do you spend your life shitting on everything cool? It's an inferiority thing isn't it?
By Jetackuu 2014-07-26 12:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

oldman said: »

Wow, do you spend your life shitting on everything cool? It's an inferiority thing isn't it?
don't feed the troll sir
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-26 13:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more surprised ANYONE takes fonewear's typical comments with any seriousness at all.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-26 13:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I'm more surprised ANYONE takes fonewear's typical comments with any seriousness at all.

I was serious once it was awful.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-07-26 13:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who said he never checked wikipedia at least once before doing school homework is lying.

And its always funny students doing highschool final work and using wikipedia as reference.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-26 13:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I like wikipedia a lot but I just remember being told not to use it all the time in college.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-26 13:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Anyone who said he never checked wikipedia at least once before doing school homework is lying.
When I was in highschool I didn't even know wikipedia existed!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-26 13:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

youngin'
By Altimaomega 2014-07-26 14:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

And its always funny students doing highschool final work and using wikipedia as reference.

Never used it in high school or college.. Back in my day after pushing the bus though 3feet of snow uphill both ways, just to get to school! We had to use these things called books located in a library.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-26 14:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

Never used it in high school or college.. Back in my day after pushing the bus though 3feet of snow uphill both ways, just to get to school! We had to use these things called books located in a library.
What the hell's a book?

For that matter, what's a library?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 14:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I like wikipedia a lot but I just remember being told not to use it all the time in college.

Back when it was volatile and young it was about as credible as EncyclopediaDramatica (Best website ever btw). The standards have increases enough that, at the very least you can use it to locate additional sources.

That said, occasionally you get edit wars that explode over things like politics, feminism, religion, etc. Feminism in particular attacks a lot of things in biology and anthropology that are just facts, like sexual dimorphism and the role of the female in cultures throughout time, usually by referencing Jezebel or similar highly credible and independent sources..
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-07-26 15:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

did someone say card catalog and dewey decimal system?

***, i'll find you any book you need in one hour or less! *** dun know about my bibliography skills.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-07-27 09:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember that. I was shocked.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-07-27 11:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I remember that. I was shocked.

"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.”
By fonewear 2014-07-27 11:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

What the hell's a book?

For that matter, what's a library?

I would think a library is a place where you go online to read books.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-07-27 11:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Most schools prohibit the use of wikipedia as an information source for project papers nowadays.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-07-27 11:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really prohibition, but if you use it as a reference, it just will reduce your credibility no matter how right youre.
So, its wise to advise not to do it.