The Difference Between The Failures Of Wii U & XB1

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » The difference between the failures of Wii U & XB1
The difference between the failures of Wii U & XB1
First Page 2
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-07-25 10:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

http://plebegaming.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/the-difference-between-the-failures-of-the-xb1-and-the-wii-u/

TL;DR

The Wii U is failing because of what it hasn't done. The XB1 is starting to fail because of what it can't do. The Wii U has the easier path back to success.

Nintendo just needs to get their primary franchises out faster. The XB1 can't rely on third parties to push sales because of the PS4, and must come up with more first party franchises.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 10:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
Nintendo just needs to get their primary franchises out faster. The XB1 can't rely on third parties to push sales because of the PS4, and must come up with more first party franchises.
Agreed.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-07-25 10:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm not worried about Nintendo, aka the company imo with the best video game franchises (besides capcom) one bit.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 10:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »

Yeah I'm not worried about Nintendo, aka the company imo with the best video game franchises (besides capcom) one bit.
While that was a little hard to believe, I checked their most recent translated annual report and found out that, yes, they could lose $250 million a year straight up and still survive until 2052.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-25 10:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

When will ff be back to nintendo?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-25 10:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

3ds, 4ds, 4 trilogy for wii, Bravely Default, TA2, XIIRW, Crystal Bearers, My life as a King/Darklord, Rings of Fate, Echoes of Time...plenty of chapters came out for Nintendo!

edit:
Upcoming: Bravely Second and Explorers
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-07-25 10:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

only thing that upsets me about nintendo....

we could play gameboy games on our super nintendo gameboy...

We could play gba games on the gamecube,

When the hell can we play ds/3ds games on the big screen? >_<
[+]
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2014-07-25 10:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Easy. Two screens and no$zoomer :D

Edit: oops, just realized you didn't mention anything emulation-related... Still works though.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 10:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It may be possible with the Wii U.

Since the gamepad can technically be considered the bottom screen and the TV the top screen. I wonder if they will implement it or not.
 Leviathan.Behemothx
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2014-07-25 10:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That alone would make me buy a Wii U :D
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 11:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
What, Smash Bros. wouldn't do it for you?
 Leviathan.Behemothx
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2014-07-25 11:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
What, Smash Bros. wouldn't do it for you?

Never really got into those games... I don't know why.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2014-07-25 11:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I really wish Nintendo would just come out with it and tell us specifically what Retro Studios is making. They started a new project in January, before finishing touches were done on DKC.

All common sense points to Metroid, but it would be nice to get a conformation.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-25 11:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Xbox One just moved it's highest amount of units in June, now that they have dropped the worthless kinect, it will be just fine. Nintendo just needs to put games out faster and make a console that third party devs want to work with.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2014-07-25 12:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player were able to interface with those consoles in a fairly direct capacity, making it easy to effectively add the exact hardware of those machines and let them handle the game code natively.

The only way to connect something to a Wii U is via USB2.0 or Bluetooth, neither of which provide fast enough access that would allow for conjoined processing. The 3DS would have to be emulated entirely in software and I'm not sure if the Wii U is fast enough to do this both accurately and at 100% speed.

The next problem would be the lack of stereoscopic rear-facing cameras. They made the 2DS with them despite the fact that the 2DS does not even display stereoscopic images, just to avoid compatibility problems for the various software that expects to find them.

It's probably possible with a few concessions, but given that I doubt Nintendo will do it since they tend to be perfectionists about this type of thing and wouldn't release a product that is missing features.

I think the biggest problem is 240p on a HDTV looks terrible.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 12:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The gamepad really should have had a cart slot...
 Leviathan.Matteh
user: Matteh
By Leviathan.Matteh 2014-07-25 12:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

/quote]

I think most of us wish we could bank that much >.>
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2014-07-25 13:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't a question of Nintendo being in danger, it was a question of if they'd continue to support the Wii U.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 13:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't a question of Nintendo being in danger, it was a question of if they'd continue to support the Wii U.
Have they ever dropped their current flagship console? I mean look at the lolgamecube.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-07-25 13:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm unclear as to the meaning of "banked so much money that..."

Is the author trying to say that gross or net sales in the past total to more than 950 million dollars?

Is the author trying to say that via strategic investing Nintendo holds assets that exceed 950 million dollars?

Is this an attempt to express abundance via quantification by using imprecise language?
By Yuukari 2014-07-25 13:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
I'm unclear as to the meaning of "banked so much money that..."

Is the author trying to say that gross or net sales in the past total to more than 950 million dollars?

Is the author trying to say that via strategic investing Nintendo holds assets that exceed 950 million dollars?

Is this an attempt to express abundance via quantification by using imprecise language?

He's saying they've made so much money over the decades that they have grossed roughly 38 years. So they've made over

9,000,000,000 USD.

Jesus....then again they'll still profit from the Wii-u, so you gotta look at it in a way that at least they'll be making....

(We're gonna say 5,000,000 people buy the Wii-u at....150 dollars)

750,000,000 USD. Then you got a ton of games that'll be sold. Nintendo's been around long enough, and it's not really that outlandish to think the biggest gaming company (and one of the oldest) has that kind of money. Sony and Microsoft do more than games, Nintendo just does games.
 Fenrir.Minibuddha
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Minibuddha 2014-07-25 13:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

One other thing to add about Nintendo and Microsoft that most folks do not know.

Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners baseball team.

Microsoft owns the Seattle Sounders Soccer team.

Both teams do make money but I can say the Sounders make a lot more.

This is coming from someone who lives in Seattle lol.
By Ravenn42 2014-07-25 14:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Xbox One just moved it's highest amount of units in June, now that they have dropped the worthless kinect, it will be just fine. Nintendo just needs to put games out faster and make a console that third party devs want to work with.

I use my xbox1 a lot more than my ps4. So far the games have been a wash. But that useless kinect as you call it I use everyday. The kids etc is awesome for people who don't just play games. The transition from TV to netflix to games is awesome. I never have to track down the remote and my entertainment life has been a lot better with the voice commands.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 15:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yuukari said: »
He's saying they've made so much money over the decades that they have grossed roughly 38 years. So they've made over

9,000,000,000 USD.
No, they had in their bank account exactly $9,793,618,000 in USD equivalent at the end of 2011, which is what that poster made reference to.

They made $12,221,031,000 USD gross in 2011 alone. Their total profit in 2011 is $935,200,000 USD net.

What the poster is referring to is, if their net income was ($250,000,000) per year every year, Nintendo can survive until 2050 until they run out of cash. They would still get gross income though.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2014-07-25 21:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Have they ever dropped their current flagship console? I mean look at the lolgamecube.

They haven't dropped a flagship console. They have dropped the Virtual Boy though lol.

The GC was released after the N64 which wasn't exactly dominant, and made a tidy profit.

The Wii U at one point was a total black hole that obliterated all money thrown at it, and that had to be a stinger considering the massive expectations after the Wii.

Looking back though, anyone that expected them to drop it should see how dumb that notion was.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-07-25 21:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

My only issue with Nintendo is indeed how they treat their franchises.

I'm really hyped for the next Smash Bros, but I'm really sad when I look at my copy of F-ZERO GX and I realize that I have yet to play a "next gen" F-ZERO.

I'm enjoying their random games and all (Wonderful 101, FE etc), but no F-ZERO really is disappointing.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2014-07-26 01:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
My only issue with Nintendo is indeed how they treat their franchises.

I'm really hyped for the next Smash Bros, but I'm really sad when I look at my copy of F-ZERO GX and I realize that I have yet to play a "next gen" F-ZERO.

I'm enjoying their random games and all (Wonderful 101, FE etc), but no F-ZERO really is disappointing.

Im sure if the Wii U gets in better shape, they'd branch out more in their games. As it stands now, almost anything they produce would do better than F-Zero.

Personally I'd like to see Platinum given the reins.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 01:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as there is nostalgia, Nintendo will endure.

I personally don't like the environment of the Nintendo consoles, they've got almost no 3rd party support to speak of, so they stagnate off a handful of properties repackaged over the decades. It's not surprising, Nintendo still views games as mere toys and their design and philosophy reflects that. I envy the days when a game could simply be "Fun" and be perfect in my book, but games like Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, Half Life and Shadow of the Colossus changed that.
By Jetackuu 2014-07-26 01:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If a game isn't fun, then there's no point in playing it.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-26 01:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
If a game isn't fun, then there's no point in playing it.

Fun is a subjective term. Some people have fun accounting on Excel spreadsheets for 12 hours a day.

Also, a meaningful experience doesn't preclude a fun experience. Shadow of the Colossus was fun.
First Page 2