Obamacare Was Just Dealt A Major Loss In Court.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Obamacare was just dealt a major loss in court.
Obamacare was just dealt a major loss in court.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11
By Jetackuu 2014-07-31 00:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Yes, but they were still in the law, it was rolled out in stages.

So they were the proverbial candy being handed out by the the creepy guy in the unmarked van?

And how many people fell for it and voted him back into office for the second time... /sigh

Edit: raising the age children stay on mommy and daddys ins. is a massive gimmick. The parents just end up paying for ins. longer which makes the company more money than if the HEALTHY kids just never got any to start with.
Not having insurance is mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, and I cannot believe anyone is arguing for not having it, but then again, it's you.

They have the option, they certainly aren't forced to by any means.

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Jetackuu said: »
I'd have voted for just about anyone over Romney. Probably even that crackpot Ron Paul.

I'll agree with you on that, the republicans really, really, really need to stop picking horrible candidates.

They need to start cultivating some from this century.
And ones that aren't batshit crazy insane, and don't make the general republican voters look equally batshit crazy insane.
That's the issue, a lot of the voters are also batshit crazy insane.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-31 01:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
What success is the ACA actually having?
Well, there's the part where people are actually getting insured.
Quote:
Taking all existing coverage expansions together, we estimate that 20 million Americans have gained coverage as of May 1 under the ACA. We do not know yet exactly how many of these people were previously uninsured, but it seems certain that many were. Recent national surveys seem to confirm this presumption. The CBO projects that the law will decrease the number of uninsured people by 12 million this year and by 26 million by 2017. Early polling data from Gallup, RAND, and the Urban Institute indicate that the number of uninsured people may have already declined by 5 million to 9 million and that the proportion of U.S. adults lacking insurance has fallen from 18% in the third quarter of 2013 to 13.4% in May 2014.

Edit: Oops, forgot the source D:
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-07-31 01:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Quote:
Taking all existing coverage expansions together, we estimate that 20 million Americans have gained coverage as of May 1 under the ACA. We do not know yet exactly how many of these people were previously uninsured, but it seems certain that many were. Recent national surveys seem to confirm this presumption. The CBO projects that the law will decrease the number of uninsured people by 12 million this year and by 26 million by 2017. Early polling data from Gallup, RAND, and the Urban Institute indicate that the number of uninsured people may have already declined by 5 million to 9 million and that the proportion of U.S. adults lacking insurance has fallen from 18% in the third quarter of 2013 to 13.4% in May 2014.

Edit: Oops, forgot the source D:
Sounds great until you read this part:

Quote:
Narrow Networks

One explanation for relatively modest premiums in 2014 was the widespread use of restricted or “narrow” provider networks in marketplace plans. Such narrow networks require that enrollees use lower-price providers and often charge patients more when they go out of network.

Insurers are likely to continue to use narrow networks as a strategy to keep premiums affordable. The question is how these restrictions on choice affect the actual or perceived value of the insurance products that are sold in the marketplaces. If the quality is lower as a result of such restrictions or consumers feel they cannot get the care they need, they may stop purchasing new insurance plans, thus defeating the purpose of the law. The federal government is aware of this problem and recently announced it would examine the adequacy of narrow-network plans in the federally run marketplaces for the enrollment period next year. Several states are also developing regulations or legislation to address the issue.

The unavoidable truth is that the growth of premiums will continue as long as health care costs grow. Narrow networks are just one solution that health plans are likely to use. The long-term success of the ACA is linked inextricably to the affordability of health care in the United States, a larger problem that the law addresses through other provisions that have drawn far less attention than the enrollment numbers.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-31 01:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoa now, let's not paint both sides of the picture. We wouldn't want anyone taking all the facts into account.
[+]
Server: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Serj
By Ciri Zireael 2014-07-31 01:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Then there's this at the end.

Quote:
Second, experience with the ACA will vary enormously among states. Those deciding not to expand Medicaid will benefit far less from the law, and since many of these states have high rates of uninsured residents and lower health status, the ACA may have the paradoxical effect of increasing disparities across regions, even as it reduces disparities between previously insured and uninsured Americans as a whole.

Third, the sustainability of the coverage expansions will depend to a great extent on the ability to control the overall costs of care in the United States. Otherwise, premiums will become increasingly unaffordable for consumers, employers, and the federal government. Insurers who seek to control those costs through increasingly narrow provider networks across all U.S. insurance markets may ultimately leave Americans less satisfied with their health care. Developing and spreading innovative approaches to health care delivery that provide greater quality at lower cost is the next great challenge facing the nation.

Amazing how you just pick something out of the entire article to support your own opinion without reading it all.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-31 02:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

You forgot to mention where many state agencies now turn away uninsured patients. The reality is that many people, especially poor people, are still uninsured and Obamacare does a disservice to the public health system in many areas of the country rather than help it.

Doctors Fear HIV Patients Will Fall Through Cracks As Obamacare Rolls Out

Quote:
They are all poor basically. It’s been 15 years or so since HIV was really a disease in the U.S. of middle-class men. It’s been a disease of poverty in the U.S., really, for about 15 years now.”

Right now, low-income patients without insurance get their health care paid for by the federal Ryan White program which only covers HIV related care. In order for them to get the full benefits of the Affordable Care Act, they’ll need to move to a more traditional insurance-based care. For starters, they’ll have to first choose an insurance carrier and a primary care doctor and Clanon says, that won’t always be easy.

“Most of the information that goes to people about their choices and how they’re becoming insured is going to come by snail mail, and people who are low-income frequently don’t have stable addresses, and the majority of my patients don’t have regular access to the internet.”

If her patients don’t fill out the paperwork, they will be automatically assigned to a primary doctor — one that Clanon says is unlikely to have a specialty in HIV care. Or worse, she fears her patients won’t tell their new doctor that they’re infected, because of stigma surrounding people with the virus.

“I have a patient that I saw about a month ago, he needed to move in with his mom. However she was so afraid of him that she was making him eat in his room off paper plates that she would then throw away. So stigma will make it difficult for people to fix any weirdness that happens in terms of where they get assigned.”

And people with HIV, Clanon says, don’t have time to be away from treatment.

“Within a week, ten days, two weeks, if you stop taking your HIV medication, the virus comes back. And treatment interruptions are dangerous for people with HIV, they’re dangerous for their health, and they’re dangerous for our whole community because during that time that person is infectious to others.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-31 02:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The question was
which is what I answered. I liked that article because it gave a realistic assessment of the ACA so far. Anyone touting it as a complete failure or success with the limited amount of data available is pulling partisan *** out of their ***.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-07-31 03:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to hear just one successfully story from someone who has supported the ACA and actually has one of these plans.

So far the only success being reported is that people are buying these plans and being switched to them. Great, but what is it actually doing for them?
By Voren 2014-07-31 04:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't the main thing ACA gave was the open enrollment until March 2014?

With open enrollment there was no worries of being denied due to pre-existing conditions. There's also more affordable plans.

I thought about taking my wife off my work's plan and getting her enrolled through ACA to save some money (about $200/mo), but no plan ACA website had beat what we have now.

Other than the open enrollment and the monetary assistance, I'm not able to come up with any other benefit.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11