Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 900 901 902 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-01 12:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Bloodrose said: »
Daniel Tosh said it best:

"I never understood why people always say money can't buy happiness. You know what doesn't buy happiness? Poverty doesn't buy happiness"

I like the one about "money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski. Have you ever seen a sad person on a jet ski? Hell no."

Dang it, I can't even find a sad person on a jet ski using Google. But how often do you see filthy rich people on jet skis anyway? They're probably too busy to be wasting time on ---

Nevermind.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 12:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Most definitely. I'm not very concerned about that, though, even if Trump wins. What he's promising basically cannot be delivered.

Trump isn't that stupid, I think. He's just pandering to a fringe of the GOP.

I wouldn't call him stupid, but I think he's underestimating the damage he's doing his potential general election support.
Lots more support for kicking them out than you estimate.

Furthermore, we don't even need to kick them out, all we need to do is make it pretty painful for employers to employ them, and maybe cut off the welfare they receive and they will leave on their own.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 12:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I always go back to the old adage that money can't buy happiness, but nobody who says it ever looks at all the barriers that are strictly monetary.

I look at the barriers with disdain, disgust, and ire.

But then I go to work, because apparently everyone else thinks this system is just fine and I've got too much ***to do to even begin trying to change it.

I don't think anyone who can tie their own shoes thinks the system is fine, they just disagree with what's wrong and how to fix it.

I think it was part of the same skit, or just a different version of it. The one I'm thinking of was from his appearance at the Just for Laughs festival in Montreal

I really don't remember where I heard it, I'm sure there's a million permutations of the saying.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-01 13:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm also positive Daniel Tosh didn't come up with it (because he doesn't come up with much of anything except new ways to be a douchebag) and that it predates him by at least a lifetime.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-01 13:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Wait so you are asking the government to put business hindering regulations on companies??!

No, he wants to make the regulations as such that the corporations can legally treat good American workers like trash so they don't need the illegals.

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

I just truly wish people understood exactly how up ***crick they'd be if their undesirable ancestors had been treated as such. And I promise you that pretty much everyone capable of reading this right now had ancestors within 3-4 generations that were an unwanted minority in some fashion unless we have one of the like...five remaining pureblood "native Americans" on the forum. And if we do, they just need to take it back a few more generations to whenever their ancestors were kicked out of their Northeast Asian culture and walked here via Alaska. :p
By Bloodrose 2015-09-01 13:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

"I never understood why people always say money can't buy happiness. You know what doesn't buy happiness? Poverty doesn't buy happiness"

I like the one about "money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a jet ski. Have you ever seen a sad person on a jet ski? Hell no."

Dang it, I can't even find a sad person on a jet ski using Google. But how often do you see filthy rich people on jet skis anyway? They're probably too busy to be wasting time on ---

Nevermind.
I think I can see his magic underwear.

Wait, do all old rich white people look the same, or is it just me?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 13:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Furthermore, we don't even need to kick them out, all we need to do is make it pretty painful for employers to employ them, and maybe cut off the welfare they receive and they will leave on their own.

I don't underestimate the support for deporting illegals, I count myself in that group, but I am realistic about how reasonable a goal it is. Indiscriminate mass deportations and the rhetoric he's using turn a lot of moderates off, and won't turn anyone to his cause that wasn't already going to vote republican anyway.

I'm also of the opinion that people already residing here illegally should have the ability to declare their existence and apply for a visa with a minimal cost. If they are found to not have standing, they would be documented and deported. The conditions for standing would obviously be tough to nail down, but after a grace period, anyone who is identified and didn't declare themselves would face more permanent deportation measures.

Give people the opportunity to become legal conditional residents before you attempt to deport 5% of the workforce.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 13:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It was "wave runner", "it buys a wave runner".

Gawd!
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-09-01 13:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Ravael has homework now: He needs to find at least one photo of a person being sad on a jet ski.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-01 13:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

My stance is that we should heavily enforce the borders and make an easier path to citizenship. Is that too unusual?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 13:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't underestimate the support for deporting illegals, I count myself in that group, but I am realistic about how reasonable a goal it is. Indiscriminate mass deportations and the rhetoric he's using turn a lot of moderates off, and won't turn anyone to his cause that wasn't already going to vote republican anyway.

I'm also of the opinion that people already residing here illegally should have the ability to declare their existence and apply for a visa with a minimal cost. If they are found to not have standing, they would be documented and deported. The conditions for standing would obviously be tough to nail down, but after a grace period, anyone who is identified and didn't declare themselves would face more permanent deportation measures.

Give people the opportunity to become legal conditional residents before you attempt to deport 5% of the workforce.
Right the moderates are gonna vote Clinton instead.
She may be a crook, but hey at least she PC.
By Ramyrez 2015-09-01 13:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

No, that's just the inside of his shorts. All swim trunks have those. People who don't just go swimming in cutoff jeans know this!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 13:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Moderates are the undecided votes, buddy. They aren't going to vote for anyone until the last few weeks before the election.

Also, there's a big difference between being PC and being blatantly dishonest or inflammatory.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-01 13:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My stance is that we should heavily enforce the borders and make an easier path to citizenship. Is that too unusual?

From the perspective of a Trump voter:
1. The problems are illegals here, now. They need to leave.
2. Easier citizenship = more illegals becoming illegitimate Americans = shitting up the country.

Enforcing the border doesn't stop what you want to keep out:
Guns
Drugs
Crime
Fail

A show of force does.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 13:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Most definitely. I'm not very concerned about that, though, even if Trump wins. What he's promising basically cannot be delivered.

I wouldn't call him stupid, but I think he's underestimating the damage he's doing his potential general election support.

Wait, so you are asking the government to put business hindering regulations on companies??!

What you mean is "you want government to enforce existing immigration laws?"
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 13:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Moderates are the undecided votes, buddy. They aren't going to vote for anyone until the last few weeks before the election.

Also, there's a big difference between being PC and being blatantly dishonest or inflammatory.
You seem to think there aren't people who sit out elections because the candidates suck so bad. They far outnumber the "moderates".
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 13:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Newest media Hilary email scandal word. "Mundane".

Well there it is folks. "Nothing to see here".
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-01 13:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If all the candidates suck, write in a vote.

It's what I've done for my last two local elections.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 13:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, a good chunk of migrant workers don't want to be US citizens, they want to support their families, and would prefer to do that at home. A lot of countries, including the US, have short term work and travel visas available to foreigners to come and work for a period of time, then go home for a period of time. If we expanded that program, paid them a legal wage and taxed it based on how much they take home with them, it would not only alleviate a lot of the illegal border crossings and residency, it would increase tax revenue and build up their local economies to lessen the need to migrate for work. View it as a long term economic policy rather than a xenophobic knee-jerk policy. Something like that would get moderates on board.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 13:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You seem to think there aren't people who sit out elections because the candidates suck so bad. They far outnumber the "moderates".

They sit out because they view the process as futile. I've written in fictional characters as a form of civil disobedience, but I never don't vote.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-01 13:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

From the perspective of a Trump voter:
1. The problems are illegals here, now. They need to leave.
2. Easier citizenship = more illegals becoming illegitimate Americans = shitting up the country.

Enforcing the border doesn't stop what you want to keep out:
Guns
Drugs
Crime
Fail

A show of force does.

Well, to expand my thoughts here:

1. Zero-tolerance for illegals that are criminals. Set a fairly low bar for offenses, anything more serious than that is an automatic deportation.
2. As for the rest who are here? Account for them, get them on the path to an easier citizenship (or work visa), make them pay taxes. Any who try to evade get deported.
3. Enforce the borders heavily. Once citizenship isn't insanely prohibitive, they'll see it as an easier way than risking their lives by crossing the desert.
4. ???
5. Profit.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 13:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, so you are asking the government to put business hindering regulations on companies??!

What you mean is "you want government to enforce existing immigration laws?"

Pretty sure I read "make it pretty painful".
Does that mean existing laws are pretty painful enough?

Are they enforced?

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2015-09-01 13:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

No, that's just the inside of his shorts. All swim trunks have those. People who don't just go swimming in cutoff jeans know this!
That's a joke about him being, or looking like Mitt Romney.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-09-01 13:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, to expand my thoughts here:

1. Zero-tolerance for illegals that are criminals. Set a fairly low bar for offenses, anything more serious than that is an automatic deportation.
2. As for the rest who are here? Account for them, get them on the path to an easier citizenship (or work visa), make them pay taxes. Any who try to evade get deported.
3. Enforce the borders heavily. Once citizenship isn't insanely prohibitive, they'll see it as an easier way than risking their lives by crossing the desert.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Whats your plan for "heavily enforcing the border?"

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 900 901 902 ... 1375 1376 1377