Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 817 818 819 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-01 04:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Late to the party with this one, but...

His Yelp page is indicative of how angry people are.
But if he was a cop killing a civilian...

Well, no, let's be fair: the only reason people are upset is because Cecil was a "celebrity" lion. So I'm sure the internet will explode if a cop decides to shoot Demi Moore in the face, but everyday people don't really count.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-01 04:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should send him to Africa. That is punishment enough !
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-02 07:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Japanese police have arrested the head of the Mt.Gox bitcoin exchange company over the loss of a "massive amount" of the virtual online currency.

Mark Karpeles was detained Saturday, the Tokyo-based company said in a statement.

He is suspected of accessing the exchange's computer system and falsifying data to change the outstanding balance, Japan's Kyodo News Agency reported ,citing the Metropolitan Police Department.

A day earlier, a report emerged that Karpeles was going to be arrested, prompting him to send a message to The Wall Street Journal describing the allegations as "false." He told the paper that he planned to deny them.

Mt.Gox was one of the world's largest bitcoin exchanges until February last year, when it stopped investors from accessing money after becoming the target of online hackers.

The exchange later filed for bankruptcy debts of 6.5 billion yen ($64 million).

According to its statements, Mt.Gox made $380,450 in revenue during 2012. However, it lost 13 times that amount the next year, when it also handed more than $5 million to the U.S. government for allegedly lying on bank documents.

At the time of its closure, Mt.Gox said that it couldn't find 850,000 bitcoins, leaving angry customers out of pocket.

However, soon after, the company said it had recovered 200,000 bitcoins -- worth about $56 million at today's rates -- from an old-format wallet used before June 2011.

That reduced the number of missing bitcoins to 650,000, or around $183 million at current rates.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-02 07:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The concept of bitcoins was a good idea in theory, but in practicability it was something uncontrollable on it's own. Especially for something that required little to no regulation on itself.

It was pretty obvious to those who know how to detect fraud that this was a huge scam on itself, as it had no checks-and-balance system in place, no segregation of value, and had a lot of opportunities for anyone in the company to steal money and erase the evidence, and nobody would have known about it except those who are smart enough to keep records of previous balance sheets instead of relying on "updated" balance sheets.

The risk in investing in bitcoins was too great to justify any sort of return it promised.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-02 07:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to start virtual currency too. I'll call it lolcoin.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-02 07:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm going to start virtual currency too. I'll call it lolcoin.
Don't forget to put Lordgrim's picture on the $20 version of the coin, like how the Federal Reserve trolled the nation by putting Andrew Jackson's picture on the $20 bill!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-02 07:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you guys see the Kanye West bitcoin ?

[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-02 10:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If Bitcoin scares you it means your money is not protected.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-02 10:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If Bitcoin scares you it means your money is not protected.
How so?

And who said that I'm scared? There is a difference between knowledge and fear, I'm afraid (pun attended).
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-08-02 12:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What about trust?

Right now I wouldn't trust any significant amount of money (IE. life savings) in Bitcoin.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 12:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I can tell, Bitcoin is pretty easily manipulated in the exchange process. I can see it as a decent way to conduct transfers of money you don't want easily tracked, though most of those types are transfers are either dubious or perceived dubious. Until major banks get on board with virtual currency, I can't see any of them being secure enough to trust large sums to.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-02 12:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't the point of cryptocurrency to get people away from bank-controlled mediums of exchange? After the 2008 crash and Bernie Madoff, this notion of having trust in banks and established investment firms seems a little silly.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 13:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Late to the party with this one, but...

His Yelp page is indicative of how angry people are.
But if he was a cop killing a civilian...

Well, no, let's be fair: the only reason people are upset is because Cecil was a "celebrity" lion. So I'm sure the internet will explode if a cop decides to shoot Demi Moore in the face, but everyday people don't really count.

I haven't kept up on the story other than the initial details. I think the guy should be tried under any laws he violated, the ignorance statement was pathetic. If you're smart enough to get through medical school, you know why they're luring an animal onto private property. That said, I'm not really up in arms over it, the guy has got enough bad press to ruin him professionally, let the market decide. I just saw the meme and chuckled.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 13:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't the point of cryptocurrency to get people away from bank-controlled mediums of exchange? After the 2008 crash and Bernie Madoff, this notion of having trust in banks and established investment firms seems a little silly.

It's been around longer than the financial collapse, but that's a big part of its popularity. The point is, as dillenger said, "living outside the law means you're no longer entitled to it's protections".
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-02 13:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

What about trust?

Right now I wouldn't trust any significant amount of money (IE. life savings) in Bitcoin.
Wait, you don't trust the US dollar being traded for the value printed on that paper?

If I had a $20 bill, I trust that I can go to any store in America and get $20 worth of product in exchange of that $20 bill. I can't say the same with bitcoin though.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 13:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
What about trust?

Wait, you don't trust the US dollar being traded for the value printed on that paper?

If I had a $20 bill, I trust that I can go to any store in America and get $20 worth of product in exchange of that $20 bill. I can't say the same with bitcoin though.

That's because the value of a dollar is backed by the full faith and trust of the us government. You can't compare virtual currency to the global reserve currency. It's more analogous to collectable investments, whose value is based on demand.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-02 13:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

They're boobs not bombs

Quote:
Hundreds of people, topless women among them, have taken part in a rally organized by three sisters who were allegedly stopped by police in Canada for cycling topless a week ago. Women in Ontario have had the right to go topless in public since 1996.

Musician Alysha Brilla (a Juno-nominated singer/songwriter of Indo-Tanzanian-Canadian origin) said she and her two sisters, Tameera and Nadia, were shirtless when riding their bikes in Kitchener on July 24. A male police officer drove up beside them and allegedly told them to cover up “because it is the law.” Brilla told the cop he was mistaken, and when she started filming the interaction on her cell phone, the officer reportedly backed off, saying he had only wanted to check whether the three women had proper bells and lights on their bikes.

A similar incident in June created a buzz in Guelph after an 8-year-old girl was told to cover up while she was in a wading pool wearing swim trunks and no top.

Saturday's "Bare With Us" peaceful protest in Waterloo was designed to raise awareness about women's right to go topless in public. Although Ontario women have had the legal right to go shirtless for nearly two decades, they “are still not truly free to be topless in public, without facing harassment from passersby and in some cases, uninformed police officers,” the rally organizers said on their Facebook page.

Gwen Jacobs, a household name for Ontario women, was one of those who attended the rally. In July 1991 Jacobs, a Canadian university student, went topless on a hot summer day in Guelph. The teen, 19 at the time, said she saw a group of shirtless men and thought she could do the same, but was charged with committing an indecent act instead. Five years later the Ontario Court of Appeal overturned the conviction, however, stating there was "nothing degrading or dehumanizing" about her taking off her top in public.

The event's organizers have invited “people of all genders” to their march, “revealing as much or as little of their torso as they feel comfortable.” In a bid to encourage those who feel shy while naked, they said the rally was a “celebration of all body shapes and types.” The main challenge, they said, was “to show support for desexualizing women's breasts.”

Don't get me wrong, I perceive nudity as something natural and as a matter of fact I'm often not even conscious of of it when I'm naked, even if someone else is there; however I cannot agree with the stance of desexualizing boobs as basic biologic instincts draw men to them(fertility) and sometimes psychological fixations(for both sexes).

Seemed like an interesting news anyway.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-02 14:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Being sexually aroused by breasts is a fetish.

What's so hard about this to understand?

Yes, they're a secondary sexual characteristic of XX humans, in much the same way that a beard is a secondary sexual characteristic of XY humans. It makes sense to associate breasts thereby with femininity and womanhood. They don't need to be sexual objects and there's no particular biological reason why Westerners are so obsessed with them.

The only reason they turn most people on is because we're not allowed to see them. The surest way to get someone interested in something is to forbid it.

By why top-free? If one can endure the weather, why not simply be completely nude? It's really not that big a deal.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-02 14:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reason they turn most people on is because we're not allowed to see them
No, not really. And not the part that secrecy breeds interest, but the "only reason" part is completely wrong.
Attraction is rooted in biology and on the satisfaction of previous psychological alterations.
By fonewear 2015-08-02 15:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Boobs are great end of story. Showing your boobs in public as a metaphor for women's rights is kinda funny. Men don't think about metaphors when they see boobs.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-02 15:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, yes, it's not the "only" reason. It's the primary reason, though.

It's a fetish. People will fetishize anything. Female mammaries are only slightly higher on the probability score because they're a secondary sexual characteristic, not unlike a full beard or broad shoulders in men.

The cultural obsession with *** is just that: cultural. Any woman sick of having men stare at her *** should be campaigning to go around top-free. Nothing ruins the fun like the mundanities of stretch marks, assymetric ***, boob sweat, and the like.
By fonewear 2015-08-02 15:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If I walk around with my dong flapping in the breeze... I don't think feminists will view it as a metaphor for anything. Maybe just awkward stares !
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-02 15:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
flapping
See, that's your problem!
*** ain't pretty when they're floppy!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-02 15:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It is true women have far more intriguing sex organs but such is life.

Men's bodies are utilitarian women are a work of art.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-02 15:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-02 15:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I get why people see boobs as asexual, but women are aroused by pecs, too. In fairness, the form of men and women is going to be arousing to some extent no matter what. I don't get the point of the way boobs and sexuality in general are made taboo. You can show topless natives but not a topless actress. If it were at least consistent, I would understand even if I don't agree with censorship.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-02 15:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well in defense of women that wear bras. The native women you are looking at have sagging boobs. Which is a big turn off !

As much as I'd love to see naked women walking around every day. I'm sure it would get old eventually.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-08-02 16:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
*** ain't pretty when they're floppy!
Sure they are. Hell, they're more fun. When I was biking naked through my city a couple months ago, a friend of mine was helping to block traffic by dancing. He'd have looked far more ridiculous with an erection bobbing around instead of his flaccid member helicoptering like it was.

I don't get the point of the way boobs and sexuality in general are made taboo.
150 years ago, women's knees were taboo. And if I said "Getting turned on by a woman's knees is a fetish," no one here would bat an eye because it's so obviously true.

The issue is less about body-part-X being sexualized, it's about objectifying a person such that we just see them as body part. It's why I avoid complimenting someone for some aspect of their genetics over which they have zero or nearly-zero control (eye color, for instance -- it's a pretty weak compliment to say "You have pretty eyes," because it's not like I can go to a store and swap them out). The only people who want their self-worth based on some quirk of genetics are the people who lucked out into having a heart-shaped ***, generous ***, or a penis that can be used to club walruses to death. And even they eventually get tired of how shallow and dehumanizing that is.
By fonewear 2015-08-02 16:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to be objectified by women as much as women feel they are objectify. I would take any compliment on my appearance kindly.

Maybe the women aren't be objectified there is a reason for that they look homely.
By fonewear 2015-08-02 16:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a woman by genetics but by all other standards it is an unattractive man:

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 817 818 819 ... 1375 1376 1377