Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 814 815 816 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 08:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I really don't care if lions go extinct. Guess I'm an animal lover !

I care about animals going extinct.

It's people I'm not really sure about yet. Some of them are okay, but others man...others just need to go.

I mean, really. It's cruel to let this go on, isn't it?:

By fonewear 2015-07-30 08:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Go ahead and care care some for me while you are at it !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-30 08:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
fonewear said: »
Unless lions are an endangered species I fail to see the outrage of killing one lion...
Almost

I'm sure before Obama leaves office that he will issue an executive order making lions endangered.

Which would be ***, given Congress just de-listed and nixed protections for various lupine species out west.

Which is my point. Obama only cares about species not native to America but completely ignores species native to America.

He could also legislate through executive orders and reverse those delisting. It's not like he hasn't done so before....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 08:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want to sound too up-in-arms about this; there are certainly more pressing issues in our country. But it's still an issue, and wolves are important to me for several reasons. I'm not a fan of removing protections that really didn't hurt anyone and helped the species.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-30 08:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want to sound too up-in-arms about this; there are certainly more pressing issues in our country. But it's still an issue, and wolves are important to me for several reasons. I'm not a fan of removing protections that really didn't hurt anyone and helped the species.
Wolves (and coyotes in my case) are more of a hindrance than help in South Texas, although there are far less wolves (if there are any left that is) in South Texas than there are in other parts of the nation, I still wouldn't kill one unless my life is threatened.

Of course, not everyone sees it the same way I do, and that's ok, because why should I force my ideas onto other people?
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Coyotes are borderline overpopulated due various issues, whereas wolves are borderline-to-fully endangered in many areas.

There's a bit of a difference there.

Either way just shooting them is lazy, as there are more humane ways of dealing with the problem, and organizations who will do it at no cost to those to whom the animals may be a hinderance.

I dunno. I grew up hunting. I eat meat. I sometimes have a hard time justifying only wanting to preserve certain animals vs. killing others to eat. It's tough.

But beef is just too damn tasty. And chicken. But chickens are vile, evil animals, so I don't feel too bad about them.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 09:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

there are more canine ways
Ftfy.
By volkom 2015-07-30 09:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Wolves (and coyotes in my case) are more of a hindrance than help in South Texas, although there are far less wolves (if there are any left that is) in South Texas than there are in other parts of the nation, I still wouldn't kill one unless my life is threatened.

Of course, not everyone sees it the same way I do, and that's ok, because why should I force my ideas onto other people?

theres a small population in north texas and east texas iirc. Everything south and west is coyotes which are just as bad. In my area some of the coyotes been breeding with some large stray dogs it looks like so they're massive~ and they're starting to hunt in packs more instead of going solo/pairs.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
there are more canine ways
Ftfy.

:p
By Bloodrose 2015-07-30 09:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Because you're white an privileged? Joking, of course. Because every fringe or extreme version of every group imaginable wants to force their ideas onto someone they think is inferior.

There are endangered species in Canada, and I for one, would not feel bad in a life or death struggle between one of them, and myself. As far as I'm concerned, (and oddly enough, the Law) says you have a right to fight for survival. Illegal hunting and poaching of an endangered species is another matter entirely.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
As far as I'm concerned, (and oddly enough, the Law) says you have a right to fight for survival

For survival, yes. If you're in danger of (or actively being) attacked, or in a live-or-die situation where you need to eat them to survive.

If you're a redneck who just wants to shoot something though?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 09:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't participate but am okay with people who hunt non endangered, male animals if they eat them.

But hunting for sport is just a horrible practice that honestly have no excuse.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-30 09:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand people who hunt for sport. If it's about the thrill of proving their ability to kill something big from relative safety, then perhaps their money would be better spent on a therapist.

Meanwhile, I rescue bugs that fall into my cat's water bowl.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 09:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I admit I do kill mosquitoes on purpose. But they threaten me with their evil bites!!
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-30 09:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

male animals

Sexist!
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't participate but am okay with people who hunt non endangered, male animals if they eat them.

Hunting of non-endangered/at-risk animals (deer, etc.) for consumption is just fine by me, I grew up doing it myself. I'm also okay with killing animals that actually are a threat to humans if necessary.

It's just the wanton destruction of nature I'm against, and that's generally what happens when you allow people to kill things willy-nilly.

Protecting the environment in general is obviously something I've advocated here for a long time, and maintaining the fauna as well as the flora is an important part of that.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 09:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nature is sexist *pats shoulder*
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I don't understand people who hunt for sport. If it's about the thrill of proving their ability to kill something big from relative safety, then perhaps their money would be better spent on a therapist.

Meanwhile, I rescue bugs that fall into my cat's water bowl.

I have a very strict -- to borrow a gaming term -- "horrible rape radius."

If bugs stay out of my immediate vicinity, I leave them be.

If the bugs bug me, they die.

It's really that easy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-30 09:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The only pests I kill on sight are spiders, mosquitoes, wasps (if they're a threat) and ants. Anything else, I usually just relocate them.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The only pests I kill on sight are spiders, mosquitoes, wasps (if they're a threat) and ants. Anything else, I usually just relocate them.

I leave spiders be as much as possible because they eat the other bugs.

Ants get the Terro treatment (see below) immediately upon presentation every summer when they wake up, because if you don't they take over the place.

I highly reccomend this stuff if you have ant problems. It will, in most standard cases, handle them for the entirety of the season.

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-30 09:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If I see a spider I don't kill it. I leave that place and never return again.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-30 09:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Some spiders I'll leave alone, I admit. But if it's creepy-looking, I don't want to find it in my bed later.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If I see a spider I don't kill it. I leave that place and never return again.

Seha moves a lot.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Some spiders I'll leave alone, I admit. But if it's creepy-looking, I don't want to find it in my bed later.

Man. Imagine if people used that technique on other people.

"S/he looked creepy and I didn't want to risk them being in my bed later."

Policeman says, "You're free to go."
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-30 09:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of which, there is a spider I saw on the front porch a couple of days ago that looked big enough to eat a mouse. I'm not looking forward to that tango.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of which, there is a spider I saw on the front porch a couple of days ago that looked big enough to eat a mouse. I'm not looking forward to that tango.

Stock up on your Vermin Killer gear before you go. Maybe go on Beastmaster so you've got the trait.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-30 09:28:38
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

theres a small population in north texas and east texas iirc. Everything south and west is coyotes which are just as bad. In my area some of the coyotes been breeding with some large stray dogs it looks like so they're massive~ and they're starting to hunt in packs more instead of going solo/pairs.
In the southeast there are coyote / wolf hybrids who can, and do take down deer. Perhaps they are interbreeding in Texas too.

Bloodrose said: »
As far as I'm concerned, (and oddly enough, the Law) says you have a right to fight for survival
For survival, yes. If you're in danger of (or actively being) attacked, or in a live-or-die situation where you need to eat them to survive.
You are also allowed to protect your property.

I can quite legally shoot the deer that eat my trees, even out of season, I just can't eat them. Nor will the Dept. of fish and wildlife remove the carcass like they used to do.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
You are also allowed to protect your property.

Which is where my views get a little fuzzier. Protecting property from an endangered/at-risk species is a murky area at best. Take ranchers who are "protecting" their cattle.

Cattle that was going to die anyhow.

In the meantime, they just up and shoot predators whose home and prey they themselves displaced by moving themselves there in the first place.

That's a situation where I think that they should be contacting the game comission and in turn they should be getting one of the multiple public or private animal protection agencies involved to humanely trap/tranq and relocate the animals.

Yet at the same time, I can see the point that they're animals and the rancher is a person trying to make a living.

Then again, the U.S. goverment treated the (pseudo)natives much the same way displacing them and ruining their lives to establish the country, so the precident is pretty clear there. ^^;

It's a tough topic for me.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-30 09:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can quite legally shoot the deer that eat my trees, even out of season, I just can't eat them.

Which is *** backward too. They're already dead. Do something productive with that kill, ffs.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-30 12:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I can quite legally shoot the deer that eat my trees, even out of season, I just can't eat them.
Which is *** backward too. They're already dead. Do something productive with that kill, ffs.
Agreed.

Fish and wildlife used to pick them up and deliver them to the prisons like the WSP did with roadkill, to feed the prisoners.

Then some prisoners sued to stop being fed roadkill and won.

Today I would need a backhoe and bury it myself to be legal. Besides I only have a 7 cu. ft. freezer.
First Page 2 3 ... 814 815 816 ... 1375 1376 1377