Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 75 76 77 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2014-08-28 17:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Just remember that you never want to wipe your *** with a pinecone.
I think I'd take that over poison ivy.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-28 17:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're just joining us.

FFXIAH Thread: Random-Politics-Religion The Story So Far.

"Conservatives:" People are leeches and should die if they don't put in sufficient effort.

"Liberals:" People are beautiful snowflakes who all need to be coddled and protected like a newborn kitten.

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-28 17:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Hmmm. I think maybe living for free is a bit of a stretch. I'm no fan of the institution of work in America, it is very Jeremiah Fink when you get right down to it. But just handing out Shelter, Clothing and "Luxury" services like Electricity and I assume Telecommunication services? ehh...

I could at least make a case for food (California has EBT program, so it's virtually impossible to starve in this state, at least until the economy folds over [again]) and clean water is pretty much everywhere. You can exist in California with no income at all. You'll be living under I15 but you can survive.

If you give people housing, food, clothing, water, electricity, and cell phones all for free, I can't even imagine how many people will have suddenly lost any incentive to work.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I drew the line at food, if that wasn't clear. The EBT system in California is a bit generous because it operates under the assumption that the funding is just cycled back into the economy. Most people just black-market the value on their cards for crack though.

Yeah, I was supporting your statement (I do agree with you sometimes). I don't know where I'd draw the line myself, but there does have to be an incentive to work.

Edit: Also, LOL at your last post.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 17:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're just joining us.

FFXIAH Thread: Random-Politics-Religion The Story So Far.

"Conservatives:" People are leeches and should die if they don't put in sufficient effort.

"Liberals:" People are beautiful snowflakes who all need to be coddled and protected like a newborn kitten.

I'll take that as a compliment.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 17:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There hasn't been anything intelligent discussed on this thread for about 75 pages give or take.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-28 17:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Functioning as intended!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 17:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

At least we aren't talking about politics who would want to do that !
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-28 17:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Usable Jar of Bees in DAI was my only good news today. So that makes Vigilante 8, Bioshock and now Dragon Age: Inquisition that have successfully weaponized the bee?

By fonewear 2014-08-28 17:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
How 'bout:
  • No massive shitposting or intential derailing allowed.

• Keep butthurt to a minimum.

Then maybe this thread won't devolve into the steaming heap of used diapers most P&R threads become.

Edit: Oops, forgot one!

Page one didn't even make to the end of page without derail
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 17:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama wears a a tan suit breaking news.

Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-28 17:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fact: This is the second most civil Politics and/or Religious thread on the internet. First place goes to a rolling blackout.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 17:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That sad part is that this is actually a news story...
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-28 18:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Taking the old idiom of "No news is good news." and running with it.
By fonewear 2014-08-28 18:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually the fact that people are critiquing whether it was fashionable or not is scary.
By fonewear 2014-08-28 18:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/obama-tan-suit?click=feed#comments

This is comedy gold.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-28 18:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The comments are comedy gold
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 18:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more news worthy than what the President actually had to say. He has no idea what is going on and has no idea what to do. Plus he's probably already packing for his next vacation so that was the only suit left.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 18:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The comments are comedy gold
"He didn't build that suit. "
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 18:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 18:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hillary was a woman once now that is news.
By fonewear 2014-08-28 19:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

In the last picture:

Obama:

Dear diary,

Dat *** was fat
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 19:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You can actually buy a couple of these on eBay.

They even have a triple zero one.

Dr Obama Triple Zero Novelty Money Dollar Bill

Over 1,200 of these sold:
Obama Funny Money Zero Dollars Novelty Dollar Bill
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 19:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

In other political news today:

Quote:
American rapper Pras Michel, who topped the charts in the 1990s with his band the 'Fugees', and is a friend of President Barack Obama, heads to North Korea on Friday to watch a wrestling match hosted by a Japanese politician and former pro wrestler.

The trip comes six months after a series of visits to the isolated country by flamboyant NBA star Dennis Rodman, who made headlines when he watched a basketball match and shared drinks and cigars with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Rodman came in for criticism back in the United States over his visits but Michel said he only wanted to explore.

"Honestly, I don't know if Obama knows I'm going to North Korea. He's probably going to know – and at some point the State department is going to know - but this is not a political trip, this is just a human being going there to explore something," Michel told Reuters via telephone from Beijing.

Michel's hip-hop outfit which derived its name from the word "refugees", a nod to the group's Haitian-American makeup, is a favourite of Obama, who once listed their song 'Ready or Not' as his favourite. The two are friends.

"I'm not sure what Dennis' motives were, but he's an athlete and basketball player and I'm an entertainer – there are two different agendas and I'm purely going there to explore," said Michel.
U.S. rapper Pras Michel heads to North Korea for wrestling match

Quote:
The U.S. government is considering using a powerful national security law to halt a private lawsuit against a non-profit group, United Against A Nuclear Iran, according to a source familiar with the case.

Greek businessman and ship owner Victor Restis last year sued UANI for defamation after the New York-based group, whose advisors include former intelligence officials from the United States, Europe and Israel, accused him of violating sanctions on Iran by exporting oil from the country.

Earlier this year, U.S. government lawyers declared their interest in the lawsuit, warning that information related to UANI could jeopardize law enforcement activities.

An intervention by the government in a private civil lawsuit is rare, and its use of a privilege under state secrets statutes to clamp down on the case would be a highly unusual move. Other cases where the government has invoked the privilege include lawsuits filed against the National Security Agency in the wake of leaks to journalists by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Justice declined to comment on the case.

A spokesman for UANI declined to comment on the potential action by the Justice Department.

Restis' lawyer, Abbe Lowell, also declined to comment, but pointed to court filings in which he argued that the state secrets privilege could not be used without the government first explaining the true nature of its relationship to UANI.

Restis denies doing illegal business with Iran. As part of the lawsuit, his lawyers have demanded that UANI produce whatever evidence it had that Restis was violating the sanctions and explain where it came from.
Exclusive: U.S. may use secrets act to stop suit against Iran sanctions group
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 19:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Department of Justice (DOJ) keeps giving radical leftist groups that support President Obama huge amounts of cash collected from big banks to settle discrimination and mortgage abuse lawsuits filed by the government.

Judicial Watch first reported the scheme two years ago when Countrywide Financial Corporation doled out $335 million to settle its discrimination lawsuit with the feds. The money was supposed to be distributed to more than 200,000 minority victims who supposedly were charged higher interest rates and fees than white borrowers based on their race not their credit. Instead, a chunk of the money went to Democrat-tied groups not connected to the lawsuit, including the scandal-plagued Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) and the open-borders National Council of La Raza (NCLR).

Now many of the same groups will get more money from a record $16.65 billion settlement with Bank of America. It’s a “historic resolution,” according to Attorney General Eric Holder, and the money will help make amends to borrowers and communities that were negatively affected by the bank’s conduct. Besides settling civil penalties at the state and federal level, the billions will bring relief to struggling homeowners and communities by, among other things, offering new loans and providing financing for affordable rental housing. Delinquent borrowers in Democrat strongholds like Chicago, Oakland and Detroit will also benefit from debt forgiveness.

Leftover funds will go to politically-connected community groups—like the NCLR, Operation Hope and National Community Reinvestment Coalition—that intimidate banks into qualifying more minorities for home loans, even if they really can’t afford it. This part of the deal is conveniently buried in the 37-page DOJ agreement, but a publication dedicated to covering business, finance and economics draws attention to it in a scathing editorial that refers to the arrangement as extortion.

“In effect, the government has ordered the nation’s largest bank to create a massive slush fund for Democrat special interests,” states the editorial which reveals that radical Democrat activist groups stand to collect millions from Holder’s record deal with Bank of America. “The recession has dried up funding for such groups. But Holder’s massive bank shakedown could rebuild their war chests in a hurry.” The piece also points out that Holder has brokered other similar deals that will provide more back-door funding for the Democrat groups. They include a $13 billion agreement with JPMorgan Chase and a $7 billion deal with Citibank.

Judicial Watch has investigated these controversial arrangements of funneling big portions of cash settlements from civil rights lawsuits to organizations not officially connected to the cases. In fact, back in 2010 JW sued the DOJ to obtain information about the outrageous policy. In response to our lawsuit the DOJ was forced to acknowledge that it has no official guidelines regarding “qualified organizations” that get leftover settlement funds and that it doesn’t monitor how the money is used.
DOJ to Give Leftist Groups Cut of B of A Settlement
By fonewear 2014-08-28 19:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait we are talking about politics.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-28 20:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Holy deflection Batman!
Congress is the ones who set the tax rates and who gets what rates. How is that deflection again?

Because I was talking to you, not to Congress. I personally think you deflected because you're afraid to answer and bring out the transparency in your self interest.

IE: Favorable Tax Policies for Kingnobody, *** everyone else.
Mainly because you are referring to issues addressed by individual states (i.e. the tax treatment of gay couples) instead of the IRC.

You want to abolish the differing rates in favor for those who cannot gain legal status of marriage in states that do not recognize it, and that is an issue that I do not want to be a part of. I don't care if gay couples get MFJ status or not, it is not my concern.

I do not wish to be part of the gay vs. straight discussion often heard here. That isn't deflection, but avoidance.

What the actual ***? MFJ has nothing to do with being gay. The fact that gays are discriminated against is just the icing on the cake.

The issue is entirely MFJ preferential treatment. You know, I just handwaved Jeta's Neocon slurs against you as lulz for lulz, but seeing you zone in on "Gay" and avoid the real issue maybe lends a little credence to that.
Axe the MFJ, tax everyone at the MFJ rates. I do not believe it's the government's place to dictate lifestyle by artificial financial incentives, especially when some states are allowed to deny that right to other people. (Homosexuals)
This was your exact post that you had that made me not want to continue with. You were trying to change the subject to "Should gay couples get MFJ treatment and *** with what the states decide" which is something I do not have an opinion on, as I really don't care what the federal government chooses to do.

If you want to axe the MFJ rates, thats ok by me, but you will have a shitton of married people out there asking for your toe to be tagged, because you just increased their tax bill by about 33%.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-28 20:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
The *** should they have to work to be allowed to live?

I think there's some confusion about "livable". I'm talking housing, food, clothing, water and some form of communication. I guess electricity by default? Cause cooking is a thing.

You might be including things like transportation because as things are, transportation is basically a necessity. Some people have to take jobs over an hour away from their home to support their family. Such as my uncle who lives about 1 hour and 15 minutes away from his job.
You remove the incentive of earning to survive and people will stop working. It is ludicrous to believe that people are willing to work for little to no additional reward, otherwise why do people go to college in the first place?
By fonewear 2014-08-28 20:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
The *** should they have to work to be allowed to live?

I think there's some confusion about "livable". I'm talking housing, food, clothing, water and some form of communication. I guess electricity by default? Cause cooking is a thing.

You might be including things like transportation because as things are, transportation is basically a necessity. Some people have to take jobs over an hour away from their home to support their family. Such as my uncle who lives about 1 hour and 15 minutes away from his job.
You remove the incentive of earning to survive and people will stop working. It is ludicrous to believe that people are willing to work for little to no additional reward, otherwise why do people go to college in the first place?

College is like an expensive 4 year vacation.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-28 20:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

why do people go to college in the first place?
Student loans to live away from home while engaging in numerous reckless activities (sex, drugs, rock & roll) with refund checks.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-28 20:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd work harder if provided with good beer and food.
First Page 2 3 ... 75 76 77 ... 1375 1376 1377