Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 728 729 730 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 15:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Special tax rules apply to churches in the same manner that special tax rules apply to 501C3 non profit organizations. Because churches are clearly recognized as non profit organizations.

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
They can certainly refrain from performing gay marriages. No one is forcing them to do that. However, that doesn't mean that there are zero consequences.

The "intolerance" of the church shall not be tolerated.

Yes, exactly who gets to decide what views are worthy of "consequences"? Because I'm sure if they were liberal views instead of conservative ones, the narrative would be quite different.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 15:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
KN isn't around. We're still talking about taxes.

*pulls at scalp*

Yeah, I was expecting him to be all over this.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 15:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Special tax rules apply to churches in the same manner that special tax rules apply to 501C3 non profit organizations. Because churches are clearly recognized as non profit organizations.

They can certainly refrain from performing gay marriages. No one is forcing them to do that. However, that doesn't mean that there are zero consequences.

No.

What is hard to understand about this statement?

IRS said:
Congress has enacted special tax laws applicable to churches, religious organizations, and ministers in recognition of their unique status in American society and of their rights guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. Churches and religious organizations are generally exempt from income tax and receive other favorable treatment under the tax law; however, certain income of a church or religious organization may be subject to tax, such as income from an unrelated business.

ONLY churches and religious organizations that are 501(c)(3) receive special auditing criteria, are automatically considered tax exempt, and do not have to file annual returns.

EVERY other 501(c)(3) has to apply for tax exempt status, must file annual reports, and have normal auditing rules applied.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-01 15:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
They can only be audited under very certain circumstances, they do not have to file annual returns, and they are immediately granted tax exempt status. All of this being different from the other 501(c)(3) non-church/religious organizations.

All you're illustrating is that they occupy their own sub catagory within the non-profit category. If we were to strip them of all that distinguished them from the rest of the non profits, they would still be a 501C3 non profit. Tell me why again is it justified to attack this type of non profit and not others?

Is it because you love anti-Catholicism?
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 15:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Yes, exactly who gets to decide what views are worthy of "consequences"? Because I'm sure if they were liberal views instead of conservative ones, the narrative would be quite different.

Why are churches in your mind automatically conservative?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 15:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

They can only be audited under very certain circumstances, they do not have to file annual returns, and they are immediately granted tax exempt status. All of this being different from the other 501(c)(3) non-church/religious organizations.

All you're illustrating is that they occupy their own sub catagory within the non-profit category. If we were to strip them of all that distinguished them from the rest of the non profits, they would still be a 501C3 non profit. Tell me why again is it justified to attack this type of non profit and not others?

It's necessary to "attack" them and not others because others are already accountable. Seriously, nobody is this dense.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 15:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Where have I stated churches who abide by current IRS rules should not be tax exempt?

2. Who said I don't have an issue with other tax exempt organizations?

3. Do you think Catholics are the only tax exempt churches?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 15:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Milamber was referring to the act of refraining from performing gay marriages when he mentioned consequences, which is a conservative stance. I'm getting tired of having to clarify and explain obvious things to you guys. You can actually think before you type if that helps.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 15:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Milamber was referring to the act of refraining from performing gay marriages when he mentioned consequences, which is a conservative stance. I'm getting tired of having to clarify and explain obvious things to you guys. You can actually think before you type if that helps.
I didn't realize discriminating was only a conservative thing.

Seriously, there are "liberals" and democrats who don't support gay marriage. Who didn't or don't to this day support interracial marriage.

Boiling this argument (most arguments) to liberal vs. conservative is getting damn tiresome.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-01 15:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you even trying to argue here? There are certainly special rules that apply to churches that don't apply to other 501c3. That's sort of why that document exists.
for example:
pg18-26,varous said:
a church that is opposed to the payment of Social Security
and Medicare taxes for religious reasons files IRS Form 8274,
Certification by Churches and Qualified Church Controlled
Organizations Electing Exemption From Employer Social
Security and Medicare Taxes
Churches and religious organizations are not liable for FUTA
tax. For further information on FUTA, see IRS Publication 15,
Circular E, Employer’s Tax Guide, and IRS Publication 15-A,
Employer’s Supplemental Tax Guide. See also, IRS Publication
517, Social Security and Other Information for Members of the
Clergy and Religious Workers.
Unlike other exempt organizations or businesses, a church
is not required to withhold income tax from the compensation
that it pays to its duly ordained, commissioned, or licensed
ministers for performing services in the exercise of their ministry
Generally, a minister’s gross income does not include the fair
rental value of a home (parsonage) provided, or a housing
allowance paid, as part of the minister’s compensation for
services performed that are ordinarily the duties of a minister
The compensation that a church or religious organization pays
to its ministers for performing services in the exercise of ministry
is not subject to FICA taxes. However, income that a minister
earns in performing services in the exercise of his ministry is
subject to SECA tax, unless the minister has timely applied for
and received an exemption from SECA tax.
Congress has imposed special limitations, found in IRC
section 7611, on how and when the IRS may conduct civil tax
inquiries and examinations of churches. The IRS may only
initiate a church tax inquiry if an appropriate high-level Treasury
Department official reasonably believes, based on a written
statement of the facts and circumstances, that the organization:
(a) may not qualify for the exemption; or (b) may not be paying
tax on an unrelated business or other taxable activity.

No, the "intolerance" of a church is not without consequences.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 15:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess there's no such thing as a conservative or liberal stance anymore, due to outliers. That makes a ton of sense, thanks for clearing that up.

So you are for punishing churches for specific views? Careful, you might just prove Nausi right.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 15:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess there's no such thing as a conservative or liberal stance anymore, due to outliers. That makes a ton of sense, thanks for clearing that up.

Oh please, conservative and liberal stances are not discussed here. Republican vs. democrats are with a hell of a lot of assumptions used on who is one or the other.

Hell, on this issue many "liberals" support the right of gays to marry but not for them to marry in their churches.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 15:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So you are for punishing churches for specific views? Careful, you might just prove Nausi right.

Not views, ACTIONS.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh please, conservative and liberal stances are not discussed here. Republican vs. democrats are with a hell of a lot of assumptions used on who is one or the other.

Ah, back to the definition argument. You know what I meant, but would rather argue semantics than discuss the actual issue. Have fun with that, I'm not falling for it.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-01 16:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally speaking, the legislative and judicial branches of the government?
I'm getting tired of having to clarify and explain obvious things to you guys. You can actually think before you type if that helps.
Really? Because that adds substance to the discussion.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Not views, ACTIONS.

Or, in this case, lack of actions. Keep going, though. You guys are starting to contradict your earlier statements, so this is getting good.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-01 16:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Not views, ACTIONS.

Or, in this case, lack of actions. Keep going, though. You guys are starting to contradict your earlier statements, so this is getting good.

If it is during the campaign season/right before a vote, even putting forth preferences for a topical issue such as this could trigger revocation of 501c3 or excise taxes. See that earlier document for more details. But that's not any different from any other 501c3.

And that doesn't even get into the topic of protected groups/hate speech.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 16:10:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Not views, ACTIONS.

Churches are already restricted in some of their actions in order to maintain tax-exempt status.

They have to follow restrictions put in place by congress.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so let me get ask you guys a very straightforward question. I hardly expect a straightforward answer, but it's worth a shot.

Assuming that churches in general will not have their current privileged tax classification changed, would you be in favor of making only those churches who do not perform gay marriages pay taxes?

Looking for a yes or no here.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 16:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so let me get ask you guys a very straightforward question. I hardly expect a straightforward answer, but it's worth a shot.

Assuming that churches in general will not have their current privileged tax classification changed, would you be in favor of making only those churches who do not perform gay marriages pay taxes?

No, I'm for the government not giving preferential treatment to anyone automatically. If secular organizations aren't playing by the rules, yank their exempt status as well. But, in a country where the government is supposed to be clearly divorced from religious establishments, everyone seems to be ok with them being automatically granted exempt status and having zero accountability.

Individuals are free to believe and practice whatever they want, organizations that seek recognition and special status from the government have to play by the rules. Let's separate the people who are earnest in their beliefs from the ones hiding behind them.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I'm for the government not giving preferential treatment to anyone automatically. If secular organizations aren't playing by the rules, yank their exempt status as well. But, in a country where the government is supposed to be clearly divorced from religious establishments, everyone seems to be ok with them being automatically granted exempt status and having zero accountability.

Individuals are free to believe and practice whatever they want, organizations that seek recognition and special status from the government have to play by the rules. Let's separate the people who are earnest in their beliefs from the ones hiding behind them.

You said no, but you're still beating around the bush towards a yes. Let me try again:

Do you think that refusing to perform gay marriages should automatically deny a church's non-profit status?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-01 16:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering I've already answered this question for you, again no.

A church (specially defined by congress) should not be penalized for discriminating based on their religious reasons. Lots of historical cases allowing this.

If, however, that church starts excessively lobbying for a traditional marriage constitutional amendment, they should lose their tax exempt status.

Other religious organizations not classified as a church (like a school discriminating against children of gay couples, etc): it depends on a case by case basis, for me, since I can't tell the future I have no idea if I'd agree with the circumstances or not.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy cow, we're finding common ground. I knew it was possible. Just gotta cut through the muck sometimes.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 16:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You said no, but you're still beating around the bush towards a yes. Let me try again:

Do you think that refusing to perform gay marriages should automatically deny a church's non-profit status?

I've been very clear on the subject of marriage. If a church doesn't want to perform a religious ceremony based on their beliefs that's their decision. Under current or my ideal system that alone wouldn't threaten their exempt status. If a church refused a service to a gay couple that they receive funding or special exemption for, that should spur a review. Marriage is a legal relationship, if you choose to seek a religious affirmation of that relationship, it's between you, your partner, and your religious leader.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-01 16:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If their activity is limited solely to not performing gay marriage ceremonies, then I don't see a justification to change taxation status.

I don't care for their viewpoint, but it has no bearing on the legality of the marriage.

That isn't to say that individuals can't sue the organization as an illegally discriminated group, and I have no idea how that would play out.

However, they would need to walk pretty carefully around election time due to how polarizing that issue is.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Groovy. Can we move on now?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-07-01 16:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Individual churches should not have to be served an ultimatum.

I think you're only thinking of this in terms of gay marriages, which was the catalyst for this discussion. Some people may or may not be chiming in in the expansive sense, and the flow of the discussion is probably what is causing a lot of miscommunication here.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-01 16:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we move on now?

you are 100 times more likely to be killed by a cop in america in 2015 than killed by lightning.

at least these guys say so.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 16:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Can we move on now?

you are 100 times more likely to be killed by a cop in america in 2015 than killed by lightning.

at least these guys say so.

Clearly they're trying to say that you shouldn't have altercations with cops during thunderstorms.

Makes sense.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-01 17:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

NSA back in action

I re-activated FF14 and am playing HW today, I hope they aren't in league with SE and spying on me.
First Page 2 3 ... 728 729 730 ... 1375 1376 1377