Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 723 724 725 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 21:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I might start going to church to meet me a nice girl. You meet them once a week. Just long enough to miss them not long enough to be tired of them.

Plus what else do I have to do on a Sunday nothing good on TV.

Everyone always says meet a person at work *** that. I don't want to see them everyday !

True story. If you meet them at work then they probably already know how much money you make, which may or may not be a good thing.

There are a few attractive women where I work but due feminism anything besides hi is sexual harassment.

So what you get is a culture of men and women that could be friends even more than friends. But are afraid to even acknowledge the opposite sex exists. Perfect way to make you motivated for work !

Which is why churches should pay taxes !

You just gotta learn how to converse in a PC environment.

Memorize these simple phrases for success:
"Hello. I acknowledge your existence."
"I don't like dudes. But if I did like dudes, and you were a dude, I might like you."
"Bottle your essence so that I can smell you in a non-work environment."
"Date me."
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 21:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Paying taxes is punishment? I pay them. What am I being punished for?

Oh good, just let me impose additional taxes on you that you aren't paying right now simply because I don't like the way that you view things. Clearly it's no big deal to you.
I'm only half-assedly paying attention to this discussion but I dont believe that is the motivation being presented here. So why are taxes punishment when a church has to pay them?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 21:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

You know what you're being punished for...
Tee hee ^^;
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

***if I paid attention on this thread I might learn something. And who would want to do something like that.

You could say taxes are against your religion. But first just create a religion that doesn't "believe" in paying taxes.

May I suggest Amish ?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 21:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh good, just let me impose additional taxes on you that you aren't paying right now simply because I don't like the way that you view things. Clearly it's no big deal to you.
I'm only half-assedly paying attention to this discussion but I dont believe that is the motivation being presented here. So why are taxes punishment when a church has to pay them?

You want us to start all over at the beginning because you're too lazy to backread? Yeah, no.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Amish do pay taxes but not to Social Security and Medicad. You get the idea though.

http://www2.etown.edu/amishstudies/FAQ.asp

Yes. They pay all the taxes—income, property, sales, estate, corporate, school—that other people do. In fact many of them pay school taxes twice—for both public and private Amish schools. The US Congress exempted the Amish from participating in Social Security in 1965 because the Amish viewed it as a form of commercial insurance, which they opposed. They believe that members of the church should care for each others’ physical and material needs. Thus, most of them do not pay into Social Security or receive payments from it. In some states, the Amish have also been exempted from workers compensation (insurance for on-the-job injuries) for the same reason. See Government for more information.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 21:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So, churches should stay the same size forever? I don't get what you're trying to imply. If you have the followers, why wouldn't you use donations to expand your meeting places to accompany them?

Evangelical mega-churches make me queasy and I would hate to have to sit through a service at one (for a number of reasons), but I don't expect them to hold a meeting with thousands of people in a shack because heaven forbid they use the money to expand.

How did you get worshiping in a "shack" from "minimalist"?

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
How do you solve problems like the sociopathic Warren Jeffs and David Bergs of the world when you allot them their free rides?

I have no idea what this has to do with taxes. Would taxes magically stop them?

Not being under the obligation to pay your taxes allots you more disposable income, right? Your expenditures that would be usually reserved for taxes can be allocated elsewhere. How are these tributaries not clicking with you is what I'm not understanding.

Individual, voluntary taxation of parishioners (via income tax) could subdue some evangelical, fringe movements (or cults) when they realize they would have to pay for their religious affiliation of choice and be on record as members, rather than splinter segments that crop up at the whim of some random goofball. Seriously, when was the last time you heard of a radical, rogue religious movement within Christianity across the pond? Par for the course here in the US, sometimes in the most detrimental ways.

I guess it's time to add some pop-culture BS to lighten the mood...

Maybe the US should apply more leg-sweepage to the equation?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said earlier just form your own religion. And use the money saved in taxes as you please. All you need is a charisma above 8 if Fallout taught me anything !
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm far more concerned with people not paying taxes that aren't churches. But who gives a damn about them !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 21:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Because enforcing minimalism is pretty much impossible, so it sounded about as crazy.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Because enforcing minimalism is pretty much impossible, so it sounded about as crazy.

Like trying to describe modern abstract art !

I still don't get Jackson Pollock cause I"m not cool enough.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 21:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Who injected the word "enforcing" in the conversation? And why do you continually skip to the minutia rather than the bulk?

This is a fool's errand.
[+]
 Siren.Fattynoob
Server: Siren
user: Dreamasky
By Siren.Fattynoob 2015-06-30 21:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said earlier just form your own religion. And use the money saved in taxes as you please. All you need is a charisma above 8 if Fallout taught me anything !

Just curious how it's money saved? The people volunteered their own money, that was already taxxed multiple times, to help the church. Then liberals want to turn around and tax it yet again?

All organizations should be taxxed or none of them should. Regardless of what they stand for. Equality.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Fattynoob said: »

Just curious how it's money saved? The people volunteered their own money, that was already taxxed multiple times, to help the church. Then liberals want to turn around and tax it yet again?

All organizations should be taxxed or none of them should. Regardless of what they stand for. Equality.

Don't ask em I just pretend to be a girl on the internet. Which is like being a girl in real life. My opinions don't matter !

Ask a man he can answer your question.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Fattynoob said: »

Well to answer your question you would have to change the tax laws and... yea good luck with that !
 Siren.Fattynoob
Server: Siren
user: Dreamasky
By Siren.Fattynoob 2015-06-30 21:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough :p I would like to add to the discussion, that most political groups are cults. Tax their donations also.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 21:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea but sometimes being in a cult is better than wishing you were in a cult !
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 21:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea but sometimes being in a cult is better than wishing you were in a cult !

My favorite cult is Blue Oyster Cult. I wish I had the talent to be in that one. I'm gonna work on my cowbell skills.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 22:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You want us to start all over at the beginning because you're too lazy to backread? Yeah, no.
I don't know how you interpreted what I said into that. It's a hard question, I guess.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 22:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know how you interpreted what I said into that. It's a hard question, I guess.

It's an easy question. The fact that you don't already know the answer is what baffles me. Either that or you're baiting, and neither of which are worth my time to answer for someone who by his own admission hasn't been paying much attention.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 23:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you found the time to type that out lol
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-30 23:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an easy question. The fact that you don't already know the answer is what baffles me. Either that or you're baiting, and neither of which are worth my time to answer for someone who by his own admission hasn't been paying much attention.

I don't get it either. Apart from "punishing" any non-profit by making them pay taxes, what is so special about churches? What public service do they perform that secular non-profits don't?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-30 23:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice to see the topic move to something else, and speaking of churches:

Quote:
An African-American church in South Carolina that was burned down by the Ku Klux Klan 20 years ago caught fire on Tuesday, the local Post and Courier newspaper reported.

The fire at Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church in the city of Greeleyville comes amid a rash of fires that have erupted at black churches across the U.S. south, at least two of which have already been declared arsons by fire investigators.

It also comes roughly two weeks after a white gunman opened fire inside the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston some 65 miles (105 km) away.

Mark Keel, chief of the State Law Enforcement Division, told the newspaper that the blaze was still burning on Tuesday night. He said the cause of the fire could not be determined until the flames were out.

He told the newspaper that while lightning from a recent storm system in the area may have sparked the blaze, he was troubled by the recent spate of church fires in the region.

"Certainly, I think we all are concerned about those things," he told the newspaper.

The FBI said on Monday they were investigating a spate of fires at predominantly black churches across the southern United States, although so far no link between the incidents has been established.

Tuesday's fire would be at least the seventh blaze since the shooting, an attack that stoked an ongoing national outcry over race relations and a renewed civil rights movement following several high-profile police killings of unarmed African-American men over the past year.
African-American church in South Carolina catches fire: newspaper
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-30 23:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Greece defaults on IMF payment despite last-minute overtures to creditors
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 00:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get it either. Apart from "punishing" any non-profit by making them pay taxes, what is so special about churches? What public service do they perform that secular non-profits don't?

You don't get it, but you practically answered the question? It would be singling them out. The conversation isn't about how non-profits should pay taxes, it's about churches. Why is it about churches and not other non-profits? Because you don't like them. For most of you guys it hasn't even been about holding them to the same standards as secular non-profits, as it's all about singling them out for a tax. For the extremists, it's even about singling out the ones specifically that don't endorse gay marriage. It's punishing them for their views. If you can't see it now, you're blind.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 00:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

And the craziness continues. I stopped trying to predict their moves long ago.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-01 00:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't get it, but you practically answered the question? It would be singling them out. The conversation isn't about how non-profits should pay taxes, it's about churches. Why is it about churches and not other non-profits? Because you don't like them. For most of you guys it hasn't even been about holding them to the same standards as non-profits, as it's all about singling them out for a tax. For the extremists, it's even about singling out the ones specifically that don't endorse gay marriage. It's punishing them for their views. If you can't see it now, you're blind.

Uh, no, it would be holding them to the same standards secular non-profits are and would be held to.

Seriously, your assertion is that treating churches the same as everyone else is singling them out because... reasons.

I'll give you a visualization. Non-profit A is a secular organization that sets up adoptions. Non-profit B is a religious organization that sets up adoptions. Why is it singling the religious one out by requiring them to adhere to the same standards as the secular one? This isn't the IRS sitting at the end of the pew and taking 30% out of the collection plate.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-01 00:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-01 00:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't get it, but you practically answered the question? It would be singling them out. The conversation isn't about how non-profits should pay taxes, it's about churches. Why is it about churches and not other non-profits? Because you don't like them. For most of you guys it hasn't even been about holding them to the same standards as non-profits, as it's all about singling them out for a tax. For the extremists, it's even about singling out the ones specifically that don't endorse gay marriage. It's punishing them for their views. If you can't see it now, you're blind.

Uh, no, it would be holding them to the same standards secular non-profits are and would be held to.

Seriously, your assertion is that treating churches the same as everyone else is singling them out because... reasons.

I'll give you a visualization. Non-profit A is a secular organization that sets up adoptions. Non-profit B is a religious organization that sets up adoptions. Why is it singling the religious one out by requiring them to adhere to the same standards as the secular one? This isn't the IRS sitting at the end of the pew and taking 30% out of the collection plate.

Did you even read what I said? I said the act of taxing them but not taxing other non-profits would be singling them out. Holding them to the same standards would be, *shock*, holding them to the same standards. Seriously, pay attention.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-01 00:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when do secular people care so much about religion so much ? Is this late breaking news or something.

When they have a chance to harm it, they suddenly take great interest.
If your religion is harmed by having to pay taxes... that says quite a bit, doesn't it?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 723 724 725 ... 1375 1376 1377