Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 721 722 723 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 15:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, because it took a while to get around to clarifying it, it means less? Well, I'll keep that in mind with recent SCOTUS decisions then.
What...

Maybe you should read more law if you think any SCOTUS decision can't be reversed or modified as generations change, laws get passed, and constitutional amendments get added.

It still isn't completely clarified which is why cases are still taken to court, such as the religious university one in the 70's.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 15:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Son I read Supreme Court opinions more than my own opinions !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 15:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Complains about how 40 some percent of the nation doesn't have to pay any taxes (or gets refunded for the amount of which they paid) but then fights for Church's tax exempt status.

So why do religious institutions deserve tax exempt status?

The government should not obstruct the free practice of religion.
***; they certainly should (and do) obstruct the free practice of religion.
For example, human sacrifice is illegal.
Oh you!

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You see I majored in Constitutional Law with a minor in... determination !
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 16:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

/shrug
As a citizen it is your duty and responsiblity to know the laws that govern you.

It's why ignorance of the law can't be used as an excuse in a court.

However -at this point in time- there is no way people know all the laws that are supposed to govern them. But little details like that don't matter in the eyes of the court.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
/shrug
As a citizen it is your duty and responsiblity to know the laws that govern you.

It's why ignorance of the law can't be used as an excuse in a court.

However, at this point in time, there is no way people know all the laws that are supposed to govern them. But little details like that don't matter in the eyes of the court.

Ignorance is never an excuse unless you live in South Carolina !

I know every law even the laws that overturned the other laws that replaced them !

It's called a law degree all the kids are getting em !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 16:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

And religious institutions shouldn't try to force their morals on an entire nation cheif. Not every one in this nation is Christian. Not everyone in this nation is Muslim. Not everyone in this nation is Jewish. Not everyone in this nation is [add whatever other religion you ouwld like to here].

Just as you say the government should not obstruct free practice of religion, religion should not obstruct the way others live their lives. Take it as it's meant to be a personal journey of faith with your community and not a personal crusade to change the way other people live their lives.

How does religion obstruct gay people from being gay?

By preaching that they live in sin?
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Complains about how 40 some percent of the nation doesn't have to pay any taxes (or gets refunded for the amount of which they paid) but then fights for Church's tax exempt status.

The government should not obstruct the free practice of religion.
***; they certainly should (and do) obstruct the free practice of religion.
For example, human sacrifice is illegal.

Only in the United States Canada however...
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The government should not obstruct the free practice of religion. Either in the form of an oppressive regulation, or in the case of an oppressive tax. Homeslice, do you even first amendment?

Stop hiding behind the first amendment !
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 16:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

And religious institutions shouldn't try to force their morals on an entire nation cheif. Not every one in this nation is Christian. Not everyone in this nation is Muslim. Not everyone in this nation is Jewish. Not everyone in this nation is [add whatever other religion you ouwld like to here].

Just as you say the government should not obstruct free practice of religion, religion should not obstruct the way others live their lives. Take it as it's meant to be a personal journey of faith with your community and not a personal crusade to change the way other people live their lives.

For those that are/have been tossed in re-education/"pray the gay away" camps or whatever at the behest of their congregation, yes.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 16:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

By trying to pass a Constitutional ban against gay marriage.

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 16:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

The government should not obstruct the free practice of religion. Either in the form of an oppressive regulation, or in the case of an oppressive tax. Homeslice, do you even first amendment?

Feels > Constitution
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

For those that are/have been tossed in re-education/"pray the gay away" camps or whatever at the behest of their congregation, yes.

A camp full of gay people trying to not be gay...sounds like the Boy Scouts !
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 16:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels > Constitution

Aren't you and Nausi propelled in this discussion by your own feelings about God and religion?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels > Constitution

Feels is in the Constitution 28th amendment !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

As a man I find the discussion of feels foreign and scary to me.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 16:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels > Constitution

Aren't you and Nausi propelled in this discussion by your own feelings about God and religion?

A. That was a joke.
B. What does that have to do with the Constitution?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels > Constitution

A. That was a joke.

Pissposh no joking when it comes to constitutional law unless you are talking about Ginsburg !
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 16:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels > Constitution

A. That was a joke.

Explain, please...

By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels are emotions that for which I do not have or understand.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-30 16:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I grew up around a fair amount of fire-and-brimstone, Biblical-literalism types. My parents were never that type, but there were plenty of them around. What I learned about them, more than anything, was that the vast majority of them really did have good motivations. They believed, truly believed, that living the gay lifestyle was a one way ticket to Hell, and if they could do anything, anything at all, to prevent that, it was their sacred duty to do something about it.

So I get why they would push these sorts of monstrous solutions; out of love. A short sighted, misguided love, but love nonetheless, and I think if any of them ever really accepted that they were wrong, and it was hurting the person, it would have broken their heart.

This in no way excuses it; just a reminder that not every motivation is cruel. The usual endpoint of good intentions is pretty well documented, after all.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I do all sorts of terrible things out of love so I can relate !

I once opened a door for a woman...
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 16:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Feels > Constitution

A. That was a joke.

Explain, please...

Why should any non-profit deserve tax-exempt status? I'm for keeping the status quo or holding them to donation percentages that match other non-profits. Additionally, what exactly do you want taxed? Donations to churches? Hey guys, let's keep church and state separate... except when it comes to church donations, let's take a slice of that pie. Everything else though, totally separate you guys.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-06-30 16:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

People have freedom to practice religion, nowhere in the first amendment does it say they are entitled to practice their religion for free..nor does it state that they can write the rules of things they have no authority over.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when do secular people care so much about religion so much ? Is this late breaking news or something.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 16:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when do secular people care so much about religion so much ? Is this late breaking news or something.

When they have a chance to harm it, they suddenly take great interest.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I could complain about Atheists but I would have to take them seriously which is against my religion !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 16:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Checks and balances. Secular folk are the check on oppression, inquisitions, sharia law and whatever other fundamental garbage pours up from the pits of religious fervor.

For all the bluster from team religion, it's religion that has the track record of blood and brimstone on it's hands. Team Atheists have some Mountain Dew neckbeards and British people.

Who do you think is the bigger threat?
By fonewear 2015-06-30 16:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely the neckbeards with Mt. Dew. Mountain is pure evil !

If we let the Atheists have their way soon we will all be Atheists ! It's their global domination plan.

I don't want to wear a fedora and join reddit though.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 16:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely the neckbeards with Mt. Dew. Mountain is pure evil !

Pure diabeetus you mean.

Or as the religious would say, God put a curse on them. The curse of Red Baron pizza in the microwave.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 721 722 723 ... 1375 1376 1377