Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 719 720 721 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 14:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
There's a world of difference between the current "nod and wink" policies, and rampant demagoguery. Which is quite a fun word to spell, by the way.

There's a difference.

When you deal with politicians who openly pander to religion, however, I don't think it's as wide of one as you want to believe it is.

There's a hideous gap between politicians pandering to religious people, and priests telling them to "Vote for X or go to hell!"
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I only pander to women. I try to keep it simple.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

How could have we gone this long without discussing Atheism is beyond me. I mean Christian this and that but what about Atheists feelings ?

Can we tax the Atheists too ? I mean their non belief is infringing upon my beliefs !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 14:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Nothing is real without the feelz

Yeah, despite your grossly condescending attitude, this is very true.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-30 14:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
On the topic of tax exempt status of churches in the US, I think a good compromise would be adopting the German system of taxation in which those who are baptized/confirmed members of churches have a compulsory income tax levied on them, and those who are not members or renounce their active status within the church don't pay.

Those who remain have the benefits of parochial schools and the pomp and circumstance and...Ummm...People who are unaffiliated in Germany can still attend masses and services, but cannot partake in Communion, Catechism, Ash Wednesday, etc. Fair for the secularists. Fair for the devout.

It's entirely lop-sided that in the US churches do not pay, at the very least, property taxes which is funneled back into their respective communities. I think what most secularists here (on FFXIAH), and they're not wrong for thinking so, have more of a "put your money where your mouth is" attitude.

The same here for Lutheranism (the state religion); you can choose to be a part of it (about 2% tax?), or choose not to.

I think it's the same with most of Northern Europe. I believe there was a big stink about it recently in Germany because the percentage is now a few points lower than the customary ten per cent for tithing. It led to a lot of fair weather church-goers tossing their membership to the side.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should tax Scientists also that religion needs to pay it's fair share.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 14:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I think we should tax Scientists also that religion needs to pay it's fair share.

As the husband of a scientist, I can tell you scientists pay plenty. -.-;
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

As the husband of a scientist, I can tell you scientists pay plenty. -.-;

Yea but they don't promise me anything expect death ! I need more than that !

Science needs to appeal more to my irrational fears. Not my logic and rational thoughts.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 14:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This makes me laugh this afternoon.

Thanks for that!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 14:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

...you want them to kill you sooner?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 14:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This makes me laugh this afternoon.

Thanks for that!

Laughing. More feels.

Hypocrite.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

...you want them to kill you sooner?

Faster than an Atheist on a motorcycle !
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-30 14:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
What I'd ultimately like to see is religious organizations be treated as a class of charity; you open your books, and if you use some pre-determined % of your income on visible, verifiable charity work, your rules around taxes stay much like the current system. If you do not, you're treated as a for-profit business, and that's okay too, you can apply for your exemption again next year.

Churches that actually fulfill their stated mission of doing good in the world don't really see anything change beyond some more accounting, and those who don't, well, more tax money for schools and roads.

Aren't "charities" already required to use a certain portion of income on their intended purpose? I am in favor of imposing or increasing that requirement for ALL entities seeking charitable tax status on a yearly basis.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-30 14:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The next person that says "bro" gets topic banned. Jesus, that ***is painful to read.

Bro, chillax.

Too drunk to continue back read this thread atm.

Damn I go enter RL for a day and you people explode.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The next person that says "bro" gets topic banned. Jesus, that ***is painful to read.

Bro, chillax.

Words they are like:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bro, chillax.

Funny you mention drunk I'm too sober to back read !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Words are like bullets and only should be used to offend liberals!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 14:30:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As first Archbishop of the First Church of Altana, we're dedicated to giving out trivial fetchquests and vague hints to those in need of EXP grinding in our general location.

Hey you, yeah you. A moment of your time.

Our next event aims to feed at least 500 homeless....or so we thought before rats got to our foodstores. No matter how many times I tell Reneliquoix to set traps, he always forgets. *sigh*

Could you head to the market and ask Montelline to give you some of the things I ordered? And kill at least four Womp Rats and bring their pelts.

*quest accepted jingle*
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 14:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
What I'd ultimately like to see is religious organizations be treated as a class of charity; you open your books, and if you use some pre-determined % of your income on visible, verifiable charity work, your rules around taxes stay much like the current system. If you do not, you're treated as a for-profit business, and that's okay too, you can apply for your exemption again next year.

Churches that actually fulfill their stated mission of doing good in the world don't really see anything change beyond some more accounting, and those who don't, well, more tax money for schools and roads.

Aren't "charities" already required to use a certain portion of income on their intended purpose? I am in favor of imposing or increasing that requirement for ALL entities seeking charitable tax status on a yearly basis.
Different requirements for different designations, I think.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
As first Archbishop of the First Church of Altana, we're dedicated to giving out trivial fetchquests and vague hints to those in need of EXP grinding in our general location.

Our next event aims to feed at least 500 homeless....or so we thought before rats got to our foodstores. No matter how many times I tell Reneliquoix to set traps, he always forgets. *sigh*

Could you head to the market and ask Montelline to give you some of the things I ordered? And kill at least four Womp Rats and bring their pelts.

*quest accepted jingle*

How much exp you get for 4 womp rats 100 ?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 14:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

*quest accepted jingle*

How much exp you get for 4 womp rats 100 ?

Enough to lose your gains when you're attacked by lvl 21 Orcish Rednecks.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-30 14:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

This is too much to read. What's the short version?
By fonewear 2015-06-30 14:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

This is too much to read. What's the short version?

Churches should pay taxes so I feel better ? I stopped paying attention about 3 pages ago.

Actually just watch this video it summarizes the discussion:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-30 14:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

Different requirements for different designations, I think.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations

Yeah, it looks like there are several different charity classifications. I don't see why religious establishments should have higher or lower standards than any secular non-profit.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 15:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So, are you guys switching your stance from "all churches should pay taxes" to "all churches who don't meet donation criteria should pay taxes"? I'm pretty sure most of the large churches would remain tax-exempt in that case anyway.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-30 15:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, are you guys switching your stance from "all churches should pay taxes" to "all churches who don't meet donation criteria should pay taxes"? I'm pretty sure most of the large churches would remain tax-exempt in that case anyway.

My stance didn't change. I don't actually care if churches pay taxes or not, because I can see both sides. But what I suggested was a compromise to give churches who are actually walking the walk a way to retain their status (in exchange for the good they do), while those who don't can stop freeloading.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 15:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Does not provide proper feelz Ravael, must be ignored.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 15:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care.

All I know is I'm not paying for Creflo Dollar's new multimillion dollar jet. For the Lord, your God, said onto thee "Payeth Southwest Airlines"
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-30 15:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Many would, the ones that are actually not profiting. For clarification, I haven't seen anyone go from churches should pay taxes to meeting donation criteria. Some people say one, others say the other.

You could draw a parallel to voter id laws, except non-profit status is actually being exploited.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 15:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes I just ask questions like that to get a feel for what people are really after. Are they after equality, in that churches should be in line with other non-profits, or are they actually just grudge-driven and want to see tax-exempt status removed regardless?
First Page 2 3 ... 719 720 721 ... 1375 1376 1377