Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 607 608 609 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Laconic
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 00:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
We do want to hold him accountable, but for the things he's actually guilty of. To keep attacking him with things he's not guilty of weakens the arguments of those he's not.

Everyone pull up a chair, take a seat, and get ready to hear about these things he's actually guilty of from Jetackuu. I'm sure he has some good stuff, lets pay close attention so we can see how everyone else is doing it wrong.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 00:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh and I'm so close:

Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 00:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Your board is missing the Deflection square.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 00:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Laconic said: »
We do want to hold him accountable, but for the things he's actually guilty of. To keep attacking him with things he's not guilty of weakens the arguments of those he's not.

Everyone pull up a chair, take a seat, and get ready to hear about these things he's actually guilty of from Jetackuu. I'm sure he has some good stuff, lets pay close attention so we can see how everyone else is doing it wrong.

Nah, they're content saying they're doing something when they have nothing to show for it. We might as well call them Congress.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 00:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Nah, they're content saying they're doing something when they have nothing to show for it. We might as well call them Congress.

Not true, some people actually approve of congress.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 00:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not true, some people actually approve of congress.

Pesky outliers!

Edit: Sad thing is, that's not the worst statistics joke I've seen this week.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 00:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Your board is missing the Deflection square.
Not at all, I posted it before I read and subsequently ignored your post.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 00:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, I see. Your board is also missing the arrogance square, it should be next to the hypocrite square.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 00:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, I see. Your board is also missing the arrogance square, it should be next to the hypocrite square.
Not at all.

Not to even mention that you are entirely not understanding the board, which I do find kind of funny, but also rather sad.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-28 00:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
In other words, you have nothing.

I have the opinions of military leaders. If I had nothing, I would have the opinion of you.

I haven't seen a military leader come out and say how we could have stayed in Iraq longer. I have seen them say how we should have, but none of them offered an idea as to how we could have. So..feel free to offer your own idea of how that would have been possible. Otherwise, you remain at nothing along with KN, who also hasn't been able to offer any ideas.

Oh, well I'm glad that we can just wave our hands in the air and say it's not the fault of our leaders because it was impossible. Heaven forbid we explain our position, make a proposal, and negotiate a compromise. That would be crazy. Political expediency is more important than common sense anyway.
There were attempts to prolong soliders and bases in Iraq and Iraq said no.

Considering many news outlets ran it as a failure by Obama I'm not sure how people forgot about it.
Quote:
The US suffered a major diplomatic and military rebuff on Friday when Iraq finally rejected its pleas to maintain bases in the country beyond this year.

Barack Obama announced at a White House press conference that all American troops will leave Iraq by the end of December, a decision forced by the final collapse of lengthy talks between the US and the Iraqi government on the issue.

The Iraqi decision is a boost to Iran, which has close ties with many members of the Iraqi government and which had been battling against the establishment of permanent American bases.

Obama attempted to make the most of it by presenting the withdrawal as the fulfilment of one of his election promises.

"Today I can report that, as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year. After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," he told reporters.

But he had already announced this earlier this year, and the real significance today was in the failure of Obama, in spite of the cost to the US in dollars and deaths, to persuade the Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki to allow one or more American bases to be kept in the country.

Iraq did not want us anymore and unless you are saying we should have re-invaded the country I'm not sure what you think the American people (who also did not want us there anymore) should have done compared to the political and military leaders who tried to extend our involvement through various incentives.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-28 01:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, you make me laugh, Vic. I'll give you that. Twist my words any way you want to, it's not going to help your case. I implied that I didn't have the knowledge of what would be the best military strategy against ISIS, not that I didn't know what was going on over there. Maybe you should use your ISIS strategy in the forums and just not even try.
Considering Vic is a veteran and probably has had more experiences in the ME than you, maybe.. possibly...perhaps he knows more about this topic then you? Specifically, military strategy in the ME.

Sometimes the best strategy is to wait. Throwing resources (personnel, money, and goods) into a bad situation just to "do something" is not a good long term strategy (let alone short term) and will likely make the situation worse.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-05-28 01:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Another Altima account? Are they reproducing?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean haven't we spent enough on Iraq already? I mean even not including interest isn't it over a trillion $ by now?
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

I was pretty sure the current sock was another account, but hadn't placed my bets yet.

Hydra in action folks!
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 01:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all.

Not to even mention that you are entirely not understanding the board, which I do find kind of funny, but also rather sad.

If your board had a blank spot for the nothing you just said I'd have a bingo sense Pleebo showed up.

I was pretty sure the current sock was another account, but hadn't placed my bets yet.

Hydra in action folks!

You lost me now what does hydra and a sock account have to do with anything?
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-05-28 01:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all.

If your board had a blank spot for the nothing you just said I'd have a bingo sense Pleebo showed up.
You apparently don't get how the game is played, /sigh

Somebody learn the boy.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-28 01:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

On the board you should replace Reid with Clinton.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You lost me now what does hydra and a sock account have to do with anything?

Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 01:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
There were attempts to prolong soliders and bases in Iraq and Iraq said no.

Considering many news outlets ran it as a failure by Obama I'm not sure how people forgot about it.

Iraq did not want us anymore and unless you are saying we should have re-invaded the country I'm not sure what you think the American people (who also did not want us there anymore) should have done compared to the political and military leaders who tried to extend our involvement through various incentives.

Well, if he tried to keep us there longer (in spite of his promise to pull us out) and failed, it's very safe to say that it was a failure by Obama. You know, by definition. It's also weird for him to call it a success, especially if he knew a prolonged presence was needed.

Considering Vic is a veteran and probably has had more experiences in the ME than you, maybe.. possibly...perhaps he knows more about this topic then you? Specifically, military strategy in the ME.

Sometimes the best strategy is to wait. Throwing resources (personnel, money, and goods) into a bad situation just to "do something" is not a good long term strategy and will likely make the situation worse.

I'd forgotten that he was a vet. That is a boon to his argument, but considering the fact that even military leaders can't seem to come to a consensus about what to do, it still isn't much of one. Waiting can be used as a viable strategy, but when the group in question is actively acquiring greater and greater quantities of land and weapons, it can of course be problematic to wait. For a different perspective:

Quote:
“Here’s the thing, Neil, ISIS is overwhelmingly a military problem. It is a military challenge to the West, not diplomatic or political. And nowhere in the President’s speech did he talk about offensive military options, only defensive military options to protect embassies, and to protect..and to use for humanitarian purposes. The bottom line is this: ISIS can’t be defeated unless we, or someone, kills them, that’s it. ISIS doesn’t care about anything else. They want to establish a caliphate over the bodies of the unbelievers and the way you get rid of them is to kill them, not to deal with them, Neil.”
- Retired Army Major General Bob Scales
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 01:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured it was, you know like bingo. Only you use common conversational political tactics as the numbers, which is why I said you are missing some. You know the ones you have just used. I'm especially impressed with your use of the deflection square.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

On the board you should replace Reid with Clinton.

Now, yes.

I made it quick, it could definitely use some tuning.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured it was, you know like bingo. Only you use common conversational political tactics as the numbers, which is why I said you are missing some. You know the ones you have just used. I'm especially impressed with your used of the deflection square.

Again:

Somebody learn the boy.
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 01:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured it was, you know like bingo. Only you use common conversational political tactics as the numbers, which is why I said you are missing some. You know the ones you have just used. I'm especially impressed with your used of the deflection square.

Again:

Somebody learn the boy.

Well by all means let me just pull up a chair while you explain this amazing game. I'm sure with your excellent explanation skills we can all see how I'm doing it wrong.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down Clint Eastwood.

To mark a spot it has to be actually mentioned/referenced, not whatever you're insinuating. Short of obviously the Free Space.
 Cerberus.Laconic
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-05-28 01:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Calm down Clint Eastwood.

It does feel like I am talking to a chair.

Edit: Nice ninja editing. Makes you look a lot less like a complete troll than the post you deleted.

To mark a spot it has to be actually mentioned/referenced, not whatever you're insinuating. Short of obviously the Free Space.

So you are free to be a deflective arrogant hypocrite. Fun game.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 01:34:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck, Laconic. It's been fun talking with almost every member of the hive mind today, but I need to sleep. I expect a fun backread tomorrow, folks. Don't let me down!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-28 01:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if he tried to keep us there longer (in spite of his promise to pull us out) and failed, it's very safe to say that it was a failure by Obama. You know, by definition. It's also weird for him to call it a success, especially if he knew a prolonged presence was needed.

Any way you look at it can be considered a failure. Either
a) failure to live up to a campaign promise (an empty one since the treaty to pull out was arranged and signed by Bush before he took office)
B) trying to get an extension and failing to do so

Political spin to your last sentence. Or PR ***
Quote:

I'd forgotten that he was a vet. That is a boon to his argument, but considering the fact that even military leaders can't seem to come to a consensus about what to do, it still isn't much of one. Waiting can be used as a viable strategy, but when the group in question is actively acquiring greater and greater quantities of land and weapons, it can of course be problematic to wait. For a different perspective:

Quote:
“Here’s the thing, Neil, ISIS is overwhelmingly a military problem. It is a military challenge to the West, not diplomatic or political. And nowhere in the President’s speech did he talk about offensive military options, only defensive military options to protect embassies, and to protect..and to use for humanitarian purposes. The bottom line is this: ISIS can’t be defeated unless we, or someone, kills them, that’s it. ISIS doesn’t care about anything else. They want to establish a caliphate over the bodies of the unbelievers and the way you get rid of them is to kill them, not to deal with them, Neil.”
- Retired Army Major General Bob Scales

This is one strategy, not one I think, the American people -let alone our allies- are willing to get involved in. We would need to put boots on the ground on multiple fronts inside and outside the ME and get ready for a protracted gorilla war.

One of the things we could be doing right now is a better propaganda campaign against ISIS, something we are failing at. They are able use social media, blogs/forums, and youtube to a much better advantage than the West has so far. I don't mean blocking them, that just encourages the "underdog" but countering the spin and promises.

Hell, one of the best strategies we had during Iraq was paying people, we should (and we probably are) be doing this again to recruit within their ranks but also deter new recruits.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 01:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You both crack me up, bwahahaha.
First Page 2 3 ... 607 608 609 ... 1375 1376 1377