Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 543 544 545 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-05 16:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Rav just joined the Shitposters Union, Local 207. Welcome aboard buddy, lets get you in a shirt and picket sign.

Gee, thanks mister! For my first official act, I'm going to read and mock a Huff Post article.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-05 16:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
fonewear said: »
Don't worry if you are having mood swings you are entering menopause I know that feel too !

If women go through menopause, do men go through womenopause?

I believe the technical term for that is "mid-life crisis"!

Glancing at those trophies from high school, the once proud male comes to the realization that he has become a mere fragment of himself. Clutching his football and pounding bud lights, he chants "im still a man, im still a man" but nothing drives home reality like the cold reality of being called an old fogey by the children and his wifes giggles when he says that he can fix 'that damn faucet'.

And it is at this moment the man transforms into his final form, the codger. His hair drops out, his penis checks out on any further erections, his waistline balloons and everything becomes something to snarl, seethe or hate on sight.
By fonewear 2015-05-05 16:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Don't worry if you are having mood swings you are entering menopause I know that feel too !

Glancing at those trophies from high school, the once proud male comes to the realization that he has become a merely fragment of himself. Clutching his football and pounding bud lights, he chants "im still a man, im still a man" but nothing drives home reality like the cold reality of being called an old fogey by the children and his wife giggling when he says that he can fix the 'damn faucet'.

And it is at this moment the man transforms into his final form, the codger. His hair drops out, his penis checks out on any further erections, his waistline balloons and everything becomes something to snarl, seethe or hate on sight.

I had a mid life crisis when I was about 15 !
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-05 16:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dang it, it's too soon for me to have a midlife crisis! I wasn't planning on buying a motorcycle for at least another 10 years.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 16:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

My mid life crisis will involve basically what I do now drinking a lot and trying to forget the past !
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-05 16:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My mid life crisis will involve basically what I do now drinking a lot and trying to forget the past !

My ultimate goal is to be the crazy old guy, sitting in a rocking chair on his porch with a shotgun in his hands. My problem is that I still look like I'm in my early 20s, so it might not come across the same way.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-05 16:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a motorcycle? Wait till wifey finds out I squandered our savings on a hot-air balloon!

Honey, we said we'd travel the world. Here's our chance.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 16:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

See the great part about having a mid life crisis is you can get away with a lot of ***. Your boss or co workers will be like "dude he just turned 40 let him go crazy a bit"
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-05-05 17:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
( I think we should legalize all drugs and have them distributed by the pharmacy. the pharmacist should give you a consultation and make you sign a waiver)
Not a bad idea. I'd be morbidly curious to see what kind of secondary market grows up around it, as in, a more grown-up version of a 14-year-old hassling you outside the store to go buy him a pack of Lucky Strikes.

There actually is such a thing as male menopause. And for all that women complain about what they go through, a man going through our equivalent basically wants to die. In a very literal sense.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-05 17:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Show the source where a lot of people are being falsely convicted. Mind you, it has to be a primary source (like the Department of Justice) and not a secondary source (like huffpost). Because I highly doubt you can sift through the fluff of an article and see cherrypicking arguments where they stand.

The DoJ only established a formal review board a couple years ago and they have yet to release any statistics. The US Attornies Office releases a yearly report, yet it doesn't reflect exonerations.

This is a registry for exonerations. Mind you, the total can only be higher than this, the University of Michigan's Law School released a study showing as much as a 4% error rate for death row inmates that have yet to be executed, it's likely even higher, and there have been dozens exonerated after their execution in Texas alone.

Quote:
I also said name a state where that law would put the person in jail. Just because you fail to quote me doesn't mean that I never said it.

Here's exactly what you said...

Also, name an offence where somebody broke the law and doesn't deserve jail time.

Quote:
But if you have evidence that a "large number of bankers committed" this crime, why not go to the FBI and present it? Remember, infowars.com is not evidence.

Pretty sure they already know...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 17:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I found my theme song:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 20:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. You're hopeless bro. We'll try again the next time this story pops up.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 20:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I was listening to a debate on NPR this weekend
Of course you were...

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
God... you just look for reasons to disagree with me don't you?
Did this really come out of your mouth?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 20:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Time for me to go for now, but I leave you with these wise words from Chuck Norris:
Quote:
The actor, martial artist, and internet meme Chuck Norris has warned of a federal government plot to take over the state of Texas.
'Texas Ranger' Chuck Norris warns of government plot to take over state

Sounds like a setup for his next movie.

Thanks Obama!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-06 03:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Show the source where a lot of people are being falsely convicted. Mind you, it has to be a primary source (like the Department of Justice) and not a secondary source (like huffpost). Because I highly doubt you can sift through the fluff of an article and see cherrypicking arguments where they stand.

The DoJ only established a formal review board a couple years ago and they have yet to release any statistics. The US Attornies Office releases a yearly report, yet it doesn't reflect exonerations.

This is a registry for exonerations. Mind you, the total can only be higher than this, the University of Michigan's Law School released a study showing as much as a 4% error rate for death row inmates that have yet to be executed, it's likely even higher, and there have been dozens exonerated after their execution in Texas alone.

Well, the FBI finally admitted that hair analysis has been faulty for decades and no written standards had been enacted until 2012, something that has been known for years.

Quote:
Of 28 examiners with the FBI Laboratory’s microscopic hair comparison unit, 26 overstated forensic matches in ways that favored prosecutors in more than 95 percent of the 268 trials reviewed so far, according to the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and the Innocence Project, which are assisting the government with the country’s largest post-conviction review of questioned forensic evidence.

The cases include those of 32 defendants sentenced to death. Of those, 14 have been executed or died in prison, the groups said under an agreement with the government to release results after the review of the first 200 convictions.

There was a report several years ago about how the FBI only notified prosecutors in cases where hair analysis led to convictions that proved to be untrustworthy. Rather than notifying the people who were currently in jail or their attorneys.

Not all of the defendants will be innocent, but this is like the 7th 13th? forensic science tool that has been misused by the authorities:
fingerprint analysis
bite mark analysis
inconsistent standards and lab errors on DNA matching
Familial DNA matching p.19-20 p.32-35pdf
polygragh testimony
Bullet-lead composition analysis
Hand writing analysis
Arson investigation issues
Tool marks
Tire marks
Shoe prints
Many more.

A really good article is Failed forensics: how forensic science lost it's way and might yet find it again I couldn't find a copy freely available.

Another decent paper freely available goes over the forensic science and law The courts, NAS, and the future of forensic science
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-06 04:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This should go over well in St. Louis...
Quote:
Missouri lawmakers voted Tuesday to remove several thousand families from a welfare program by imposing shorter time limits for people to receive the benefits, overriding a veto by the state's Democratic governor.

The new law will reduce Missouri's lifetime limit for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families cash assistance program from five years to three years and nine months, starting in January. The law also imposes stricter work requirements.

The Republican-led House voted 113-42 Tuesday to override Gov. Jay Nixon's veto, largely along party lines. The Senate voted 25-9 to override the veto on Monday.

Shortly after the vote, Nixon announced that he had vetoed another Republican-backed bill paring back the social safety net. That bill would reduce the duration of unemployment rates from the current 20 weeks to as few as 13 weeks by linking the length to the state's unemployment rate.

Republican lawmakers already have said they will try to override the veto of the jobless benefits bill. But the House fell well short of the two-thirds majority that would be needed when the bill originally was sent to Nixon last month. The House also failed to override Nixon's veto of a similar unemployment bill last year.

Both measures are part of a push by Republicans in several states to curtail spending on social programs in a way that they say encourages personal responsibility. In neighboring Kansas, Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, signed a measure earlier this year to prohibit spending cash assistance on recreational activities such as swimming pools and movies.

Missouri Republicans argued that low-income families ultimately would benefit by receiving government aid for less time.

"They want their independence; they don't want to be in this poverty trap all their lives and they don't want their kids to be in this poverty trap. They want and they say that we can be successful if we have the tools," said Rep. Diane Franklin, R-Camdenton, who handled the bill in the House.

About 3,000 families are projected to lose benefits — which are capped at $292 a month for a parent with two children — because of the lower lifetime limit starting Jan. 1, according to the Department of Social Services. Nixon said that translates to about 6,400 children.

The law will make Missouri among the top 10 states for the shortest duration of benefits.

Senate President Pro Tem Tom Dempsey, R-St. Charles, said the Legislature was "not cutting welfare" but instead "restructuring the system" and "reinvesting the savings" into such things as child care, job training and transportation for low-income families.

When Nixon vetoed the welfare bill last week, he cited concerns that it would punish children for the actions of their parents by imposing sanctions on the entire family if a parent does not comply with work requirements.

Individuals would have six weeks after a face-to-face meeting with a social worker before losing half of the family's benefits. All benefits would be cut off after an additional 10 weeks. About 6,600 families could lose benefits for not meeting work requirements, according to the Social Services Department.

"The responsibility is not with the government. It's with the families. It's with the parents if they decide not to comply with the work activity requirement," said Sen. David Sater, a Republican from Cassville who sponsored the bill.

Democratic lawmakers said most people getting benefits are already trying to find work.

"A lot of people on social services are independent. They're just in a difficult financial situation," said Democratic Rep. Ellington, of Kansas City.

Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, a Democrat from St. Louis, said the welfare limits could drive parents to prostitution or other crimes to provide for their families.

Some Democrats said they liked some components of the bill, including an orientation program where a person signing up for benefits would learn about other assistance available to them, a lump-sum option for families with short-term needs and the face-to-face meetings before sanctions take effect.

The legislation also would require people to engage in work activities before becoming eligible for both cash assistance and food stamps.
Missouri lawmakers override veto to enact welfare limits
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-06 05:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Coffee cup handling, difficult to master, even for cops.
Quote:
A North Carolina police officer who received a reportedly free cup of coffee while in uniform is suing Starbucks, claiming he burned himself when the hot beverage spilled on him after the cup allegedly collapsed in his grip.

This case is reminiscent of the 1994 lawsuit filed against McDonald’s where a jury initially awarded an injured customer nearly $2.9 million after the chain refused to settle out of court.

This new lawsuit is playing out in a Raleigh courtroom and testimony is expected to begin later this week.

Matthew Kohr, who is a lieutenant for the special operations division of the Raleigh Police Department, received a cup of coffee at a local Starbucks branch in January 2012, according to the lawsuit obtained by ABC News.

When he went to pick up the cup, the lawsuit states, the lid popped up and the cup folded in on itself, spilling the hot coffee on Kohr's thigh and groin area.

Kohr claims the burn aggravated his Crohn’s disease and caused him to have surgery that led to the removal of a portion of his large intestine, the lawsuit states.

The suit alleges he was not the only one who has suffered from the burn because his wife has lost her "intimate partner.”

They are seeking $750,000 from the multibillion-dollar, Seattle-based coffee giant to cover the cost of legal and medical fees and damages, according to ABC affiliate WTVD-TV.

A Starbucks spokesperson told ABC News the safety of their customers and employees "is our top priority" and the company denied any wrongdoing.

"We believe our store partners did nothing wrong and are prepared to present our case at trial," the spokesperson told ABC News.

The barista who served Kohr the coffee, the branch manager, and the paper cup company were all initially named as defendants in the case but it has now been amended to name Starbucks as the only defendant.

Kohr and his lawyers did not immediately respond to ABC News requests for comment and they were expected to be in court today during jury selection.
NC Cop Whose Free Coffee Spilled on Him Suing Starbucks

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-06 07:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez needs to get in here and start a hat thread.

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-06 08:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Ramyrez needs to get in here and start a hat thread.

It doesn't hurt that Adam Baldwin is 6'4" and has shoulders you could park a Buick on. No matter how awesome you think you look, you don't look that awesome...
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-06 08:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a direct quote from Mal in the series. :p

Sadly, Adam Baldwin in real life is a complete and utter piece of ***.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-06 09:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I never met animal mother....what did he do? your mom?
stole your woman? cheated in cards? welshed on a bet?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-06 09:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh. It's just my opinion of him as a human being. If you want to go looking into the whole "GamerGate" thing go for it, I'm not rehashing that *** mess. But his social media presence in the discussion certainly exacerbated things.

what did he do? your mom?

I wish. At least then I might have grown up with some dough.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-06 09:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick Google search. I'd wager this is what Ramy is talking about.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-06 09:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, to be fair, "piece of ***" is a little harsh.

I think he's a lot like the characters he frequently plays; he's got the best intentions at heart deep down, but he's just a big, (sometimes lovable, sometimes not) idiot with a greedy streak.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-06 09:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd wager this is what Ramy is talking about.

/shrug
It sounded personal...thought there might be a story behind it....I forgot it was Mister McFeely posting..
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-06 09:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't as familiar with this one, but it is what it is.

Again, I don't really think Jayne was a very far departure from the actor himself, it's just that when viewed in the context of the real world, it becomes a bit less lovable. :p
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-06 09:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot it was Mister McFeely posting..

That's it. I'm getting a new avatar just for you.

Edit: Don't worry. Someday I'll be as old, uncaring and spiteful as you. Someday...
By Ramyrez 2015-05-06 09:30:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Taadaa!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-06 09:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't as familiar with this one, but it is what it is.

Again, I don't really think Jayne was a very far departure from the actor himself, it's just that when viewed in the context of the real world, it becomes a bit less lovable. :p

I often wonder how many actors get praise for literally just playing themselves over and over.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 543 544 545 ... 1375 1376 1377