Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 451 452 453 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-03-27 08:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I would be far less surprised if the co-pilot was on some antidepressant drug like Robin Williams was when he offed himself.
According to German prosecutors this looks to be the case, an illiness and severe depression.

Alps crash co-pilot Andreas Lubitz hid the details of an existing illness from his employers
Quote:
They said they had found torn-up sick notes in his homes, including one covering the day of the crash.

In their report, prosecutors in the city of Duesseldorf did not disclose the nature of Mr Lubitz's illness.

German media have said internal aviation authority documents suggest he suffered depression and required ongoing assessment.

Prosecutors said there was no evidence of a political or religious motive for his actions and no suicide note was found.

German media report that Mr Lubitz's notes say he suffered a serious depressive episode when he finished training in 2009.
He went on to receive treatment for a year and a half, Bild newspaper says.

Internal documents quoted by Bild and German broadcaster ARD say a note on Mr Lubitz's aviation authority file recommended regular psychological assessment.

Mr Lubitz's employers have confirmed his training was interrupted for several months six years ago, without explaining why.

Lufthansa chief Carsten Spohr has insisted Mr Lubitz was only able to resume training after his suitability was "re-established".

"He passed all the subsequent tests and checks with flying colours," Mr Spohr was quoted as saying.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-27 08:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh good. Instead of knee-jerk reactions ostricizing people of a given religion we can have knee-jerk reactions to ostricize people trying to live with psychological impairments.

There was never going to be a positive outcome to this story.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-03-27 08:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

As Milamber said to me yesterday when we heard about the lock-out of the captain: Maybe this will lead to a better way to handle the ***-pit doors rather than just automatic locks.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-27 08:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
As Milamber said when we heard about the lock-out of the captain yesterday: Maybe this will lead to a better way to handle the ***-pit doors rather than just automatic locks.

The two-people-always-in-the-cockpit rule is a good one. I was sort of put off by what one of the officials said that a "knee-jerk reaction to 9/11 helped cause this". The problem wasn't the door lock mechanism precisely as much as it was that the German airline didn't keep the same two-in-the-booth guideline that goes along with the door.

At the same time, you can't account for every contigency, either. It's just tragic.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-27 08:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If the door can be completely locked, I can't believe there wasn't already a minimum of 2 people required to be in the cockpit.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-27 08:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
If the door can be completely locked, I can't believe there wasn't already a minimum of 2 people required to be in the cockpit.

On U.S. flights another crewmember is required to be there with the pilot if one of the pilots needs to leave the cockpit for any reason. I believe what I read is that is not the case with most European airlines, and two pilots are required, but they lack the "crewmember fill-in" if a pilot needs to use the lavatory or leave for any other reason.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-03-27 09:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, unlike US there is no two person required in cockpit in EU.
Quote:
Unlike in the US, European regulations do not provide for two people to be in the cockpit at all times, Spohr said. Lufthansa does not voluntarily implement such a
protocol, and Spohr said that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitorsthat have such a procedure.

Spohr said that it appears the captain punched in the emergency number into the cockpit door to gain entry, but the co-pilot deployed the five-minute over-ride. Hesaid that, irrespective of all the sophisticated safety devices, “you can never exclude such an individual event”, adding “no system in the world could manage to do that”.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-03-27 09:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Wired has an interesting story
remarkably easy to lock out pilot

Quote:
Should the pilots be incapacitated, a fail-safe allows authorized crew to open the door by entering an emergency code in the keypad. That sounds an alarm inside the cockpit; if there is no reply within 20 to 30 seconds, the door unlocks for approximately five seconds.

Here’s the thing, though: Anyone in the cockpit can hit the “lock” button and override the emergency code, barring anyone from entering. “You can prevent that door from unlocking,” Moss says. “That keypad can only be worked successfully if there’s no response from inside the cockpit.”

“If the person in the cockpit is deliberately trying to keep people out, there’s really no way around that.”
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-03-27 09:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Indiana's governor signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers
Awww, the final death cries of a dying movement. Looking forward to the first SCOTUS challenge and subsequent overturn.

Well according to nausi everyone is some percentage gay already...
so are they going to develop some sort of electric meter or a scanner? a little wood cutout sign like they have next to rollercoasters you have to be less than this much gay to ride.

Or...since by law they can't discriminate against hiring gays, they could hire a gay guy with good gaydar to act as the bouncer...

And aside from homophobic wedding cake bakers who the *** is even going to "benefit" from a bill like this? I mean really? we have everything else squared away so we might as well settle Tom the homophobic cake bakers problem with putting two plastic dudes on the top of a wedding cake?...

really? everything else is great? the representatives have that much free time?

I haven't read this piece of crap law yet but can I then legally not provide goods or services to Tom (the homophobic cake baker)

And can I then go buy the only grocery store in some jerk water town and refuse to sell to anyone but gays?

If my religion demands everyone to be gay can I buy the power company and shut off everyone that isn't gay's power?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-27 09:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess, the pilots are the one group of people you really can't protect an airplane from. I can't imagine how you would get around that without someone on the ground having some control of it, and that could have it's own weaknesses.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-03-27 09:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Well according to nausi everyone is some percentage gay already...
so are they going to develop some sort of electric meter or a scanner? a little wood cutout sign like they have next to rollercoasters you have to be less than this much gay to ride.

Or...since by law they can't discriminate against hiring gays, they could hire a gay guy with good gaydar to act as the bouncer...

[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-03-27 09:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Have we not learned anything from the horrors of the Holocaust?
King, the only thing we learn from the study of history is that we learn NOTHING from history.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-03-27 09:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Could the cigar store not sell cigars to bill clinton? Because they are morally offended by where he is going to stick them...

Can the pet store refuse to sell gerbils to Richard Gere?

Sorry kid you look kinda jesus~y... I can't sell you magic the gathering... or harry potter crap
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-03-27 09:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Are they going to show me half naked pictures of antonio sabato jr and then check me for wood!?

[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-27 09:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Harry Reid isn't seeking reelection somewhere a liberal is crying !

http://time.com/3761397/harry-reid-history/
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-03-27 10:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
But see, Leneth? This is what I mean.
People will always speculate no matter how much information is given. No need to feed them unnecessary information to the case which will just increase problems, like hateful feelings towards other groups of the society.

There was never going to be a positive outcome to this story.
I agree with this.

Just using the following quote to refer to the ongoing discussion not trying to single out Ramyrez but since he mentioned it first:
As Milamber said when we heard about the lock-out of the captain yesterday: Maybe this will lead to a better way to handle the ***-pit doors rather than just automatic locks.

The two-people-always-in-the-cockpit rule is a good one. I was sort of put off by what one of the officials said that a "knee-jerk reaction to 9/11 helped cause this". The problem wasn't the door lock mechanism precisely as much as it was that the German airline didn't keep the same two-in-the-booth guideline that goes along with the door.

At the same time, you can't account for every contigency, either. It's just tragic.
I prefer the European method instead of a two-people rule.
Like Jassik said it: ultimately someone will be in controle and the risk of it will not be eliminated.
Personally I trust a pilot way more than any other member of the crew with less knowledge inside a cockpit, a way shorter training period ect. A second none-pilot person seems to increase the risk for me (if the person had harmful intentions).

Experts should deal with the risk rating and airlines should not implement it on a whim.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-27 10:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, we're arriving at the same conclusion regardless, and that is that you cannot eliminate 100% of the risks, and there we're agreed. =\
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-03-27 10:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

safety is an illusion to keep the masses from losing their ***.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-27 10:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
safety is an illusion to keep the masses from losing their ***.

Pretty much!
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-03-27 11:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
If my religion demands everyone to be gay can I buy the power company and shut off everyone that isn't gay's power?
Suggestion:
You can become a branch of the Invisible pink unicorn religion as a "gay only" shoot-off (...no pun intended, I swear).

This can be a sacred image for you. "We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them."
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-27 11:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I won't stand for this LGBBQ discrimination !
By fonewear 2015-03-27 11:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

From this day forward I refuse to go to Indiana.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-27 11:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

My deli will only serve pagans. NO MONOTHEISTS ALLOWED.

Why? I still feel kinda bitter people were put to the sword and force converted by monotheists. It offends my sensibilities to do business with these denizens of darkness. They should all come around to the All-Father and quit this doomsday nonsense.

The real endtimes will be a glorious occasion of dead gods, binge drinking and everything asploding.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-27 11:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Rumor has it the Jews have the corner on the deli's !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-27 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Rumor has it the Jews have the corner on the deli's !

At last weeks 'rule the world' meeting, the council came to an agreement that the price of pastrami would be increased 65 cents after convening on how to best bring the United States under its heel.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-27 11:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I would be far less surprised if the co-pilot was on some antidepressant drug like Robin Williams was when he offed himself.
According to German prosecutors this looks to be the case, an illiness and severe depression.

Alps crash co-pilot Andreas Lubitz hid the details of an existing illness from his employers
Quote:
They said they had found torn-up sick notes in his homes, including one covering the day of the crash.

In their report, prosecutors in the city of Duesseldorf did not disclose the nature of Mr Lubitz's illness.

German media have said internal aviation authority documents suggest he suffered depression and required ongoing assessment.

Prosecutors said there was no evidence of a political or religious motive for his actions and no suicide note was found.

German media report that Mr Lubitz's notes say he suffered a serious depressive episode when he finished training in 2009.
He went on to receive treatment for a year and a half, Bild newspaper says.

Internal documents quoted by Bild and German broadcaster ARD say a note on Mr Lubitz's aviation authority file recommended regular psychological assessment.

Mr Lubitz's employers have confirmed his training was interrupted for several months six years ago, without explaining why.

Lufthansa chief Carsten Spohr has insisted Mr Lubitz was only able to resume training after his suitability was "re-established".

"He passed all the subsequent tests and checks with flying colours," Mr Spohr was quoted as saying.
Was Prozac involved?

The only thing we learn from the study of history is that we learn NOTHING from history.
^ This very much so.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-27 11:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Russell Brand voted world's fourth most influential thinker
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-27 11:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it that we don't learn from history or that as a group we don't learn from history? Cause I think individuals learn, but mindless masses most certainly do not.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-03-27 13:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Is it that we don't learn from history or that as a group we don't learn from history? Cause I think individuals learn, but mindless masses most certainly do not.
In general we don't.

The same mistakes are repeated over and over.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-27 13:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
In general we don't.

The same mistakes are repeated over and over.

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 451 452 453 ... 1375 1376 1377