Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 340 341 342 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-02-27 15:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
It probably won't be too long before 3D printers can work with metals, and then people will be printing their own ammunition anyway.

Can already do that to print guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printed_firearms#United_States
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-02-27 15:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

In case anyone was wondering, yes, there are a lot of 5.56 variants, I'll put them in the spoiler, and bold/italicize the one that the ATF is looking to ban.

Those are just the ones for the US. Obviously, the public doesn't have access to a lot of these, I know the M855A1 is what the Army switched to a while back. I'm sure the public would have no issues switching over to another variant. And no, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory of "this is just the beginning."
By Ramyrez 2015-02-27 15:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
In case anyone was wondering, yes, there are a lot of 5.56 variants, I'll put them in the spoiler, and bold/italicize the one that the ATF is looking to ban.

Those are just the ones for the US. Obviously, the public doesn't have access to a lot of these, I know the M855A1 is what the Army switched to a while back. I'm sure the public would have no issues switching over to another variant. And no, I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory of "this is just the beginning."

The impression I got from what I've read was they were trying to outlaw the entire caliber range.

If they're just trying to get rid of one military-grade variety or w/e...well, it's still shady, but that changes the picture a little.

Still, in practice, it's just party-line pandering.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-02-27 15:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they are not trying to ban the entire caliber. Just the M855 green tip, which they have classified as Armor Piercing. That classification is a little shady, but the act of banning it is well within the ATF's jurisdiction.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-27 15:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
I still love the logic that a guy who is in the frame of mind to shoot at a cop is also going to be concerned with the legality of his weapon & ammunition.
by that logic you should just go sell people tanks and missles though.

I think the idea behind it is to make it less available to the general public. by doing that it usually becomes a lot harder and more expensive for someone who would shoot at a cop or anyone for that matter to find/purchase.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-27 15:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It probably won't be too long before 3D printers can work with metals, and then people will be printing their own ammunition anyway.
Scratches head.
I don't think that you understand what ammunition consists of.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-27 15:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I think the idea behind it is to make it less available to the general public.

coming from the guy that lives in a city with the most stringent gun laws, & the most per capita cases of gun violence?

how well is this 'idea' going for chicago?
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-02-27 15:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Scratches head.

Yes I do, but it still won't be long before people can make it themselves, should the need arise.
By fonewear 2015-02-27 15:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting ammo is tough *heads to local wal mart* !
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-27 15:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the idea behind it is to make it less available to the general public.

coming from the guy that lives in a city with the most stringent gun laws, & the most per capita cases of gun violence?

how well is this 'idea' going for chicago?
Considering that you can CC here now and the ban on owning a weapon in the city is over and still nothing has changed I'd say that it doesn't really make a difference when you ban guns.

I've lived here all my life and never experienced any gun violence and have never owned a gun myself. If you remember I even put that sign outside my house for a month that said I don't own a gun and nothing happened.

What you guys don't seem to realize is that 95% of the gun violence in chicago can be avoided if you stay out of just a few neighborhoods and its usually bangers killing bangers and the unfortunate bystandard that wouldn't have been able to do anything if they had a gun anyways.

Chicago hasn't been the highest in awhile and illinois isn't even close to the top.

If you think you haven't been victimized because you own a gun then you'd most likely be wrong. I always point to the millions of guns that have been stolen from peoples homes over the years as one example.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-27 15:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Scratches head.

Yes I do, but it still won't be long before people can make it themselves, should the need arise.
Um?
About -200ish years or so?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-27 16:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say that it doesn't really make a difference when you ban guns.

that's all I was saying.

If you think you haven't been victimized because you own a gun then you'd most likely be wrong.

I've been in some more interesting spots than I'd care to admit. would a handgun have saved me? I don't think so. I know for sure one time it might have even gotten me killed, but I wasn't trying to make that point in the first place.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-27 16:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »I'd say that it doesn't really make a difference when you ban guns.
that's all I was saying.
I assumed you were saying the opposite. Like Chicago has a higher rate of gun violence because it had the strictest rules regarding gun ownership.

If you think you haven't been victimized because you own a gun then you'd most likely be wrong.
I've been in some more interesting spots than I'd care to admit. would a handgun have saved me? I don't think so. I know for sure one time it might have even gotten me killed, but I wasn't trying to make that point in the first place.
More just me going off on the side about gun related topics. A lot of times you hear people say well if they had a gun they coulda stopped em or you guys have higher crime rates because you don't have guns.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-27 16:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Chicago has a higher rate of gun violence because it had the strictest rules regarding gun ownership.

nope, just a testament to it's ineffectiveness.

A lot of times you hear people say well if they had a gun they coulda stopped em or you guys have higher crime rates because you don't have guns.

yeah people like to champion that. My mind isn't really on the 'night burglar' as it is more on the sudden collapse of our lovely modern infrastructure, & the dregs of society roaming the town in packs looting for survival.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 16:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Scratches head.

Um?
About -200ish years or so?
What are you talking about? Forming lead is one of the most difficult processes on earth. We're definitely not referring to a metal that is malleable to human hands.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-02-27 16:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Forming lead is one of the most difficult processes on earth.

no, it's not.

forming the brass is actually tougher. making your own ammunition is a very common thing, all across the USA.

edit*

O you were just being facetious & it went over my head the first read-through, I'm sorry, I'll get off my computer & go get a drink
By Jetackuu 2015-02-27 17:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Well, there is nothing in the Constitution that protects bullets.
lolwhat?
By Jetackuu 2015-02-27 17:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

and you can already 3d print bullets, at least shells, but let's say there was even a decent one to print, it would take some time to get some well made ones with good accuracy, and that won't malfunction.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-27 17:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Banning the sale of the bullets has the effect of disarming the gun's owner. If it happens it will be overturned by the Courts just like the President's most recent lawlessness on immigration. The executive branch outright refusing to enforce laws passed by the legislative branch and signed into law by the executive branch has the effect of creating a law.

We still have over a year and a half of this bozo. I can't imagine the ***he is going to try in his last year. Vic has already pre-agreed with it all no matter what it is.
There's nothing unlawful about the immigration reform executive action, ffs.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-02-27 17:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I get it you're not being serious. lol good one Brah.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-27 17:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
and you can already 3d print bullets, at least shells, but let's say there was even a decent one to print, it would take some time to get some well made ones with good accuracy, and that won't malfunction.

Plus it would take at minimum a few hours per bullet, a few hundred dollars in materials, and a 2 million dollar machine.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-27 17:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Plus it would take at minimum a few hours per bullet, a few hundred dollars in materials, and a 2 million dollar machine.

You haven't been keeping up with 3d printers have you?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-27 18:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You haven't been keeping up with 3d printers have you?

I was being facetious, but unless the technology has advanced light years since last month, there still isn't a commercially available one with the ability to print brass, and if the metal isn't a concern, you're still looking at 8-10K for a printer capable of printing a bullet.

When it comes to ammunition at least, you're still better off reclaiming old casings and casting bullets by hand for the foreseeable future.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-27 18:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The existence of executive orders is still something that's open to debate in terms of being in the law and Constitution.

However, in terms of use of executive orders, our current President is way behind the curve compared to his antecedents. So if we're going to get into a debate about Obama occasionally using a grey-area power, we'd also need to point out how many more Bush, Jr. (among others), used despite his party having Congressional majority.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-27 18:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can at least make shells, but 8-10k isn't 2 million.

But to this:

When it comes to ammunition at least, you're still better off reclaiming old casings and casting bullets by hand for the foreseeable future.

Basically, if nothing else for accuracy, and stability.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-27 19:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Can at least make shells, but 8-10k isn't 2 million.

But to this:

Basically, if nothing else for accuracy, and stability.

Those hobbyist style printers might get the job done, I was making a joke about rapid prototyping machines required to produce the amount of ammunition the reactionaries claim is necessary. It was just too veiled and poorly presented. Carry on, good sir.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-02-27 22:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
The existence of executive orders is still something that's open to debate in terms of being in the law and Constitution.

However, in terms of use of executive orders, our current President is way behind the curve compared to his antecedents. So if we're going to get into a debate about Obama occasionally using a grey-area power, we'd also need to point out how many more Bush, Jr. (among others), used despite his party having Congressional majority.

You only need to point out the actions of other Presidents if you are incapable of defending the illegal Executive order of President Obama and you want to deflect and discuss other unnamed Executive orders from other Presidents; basically change the subject. But since you want to use some vague actions of President Obama's predecessors you also clearly illustrate the danger of sitting back idly while this President writes law by deciding which laws he will enforce. Now future Presidents that you may not have a hard on for can use President Obama's illegal actions as justification for not enforcing any laws of their choosing, particularly good laws that you may agree with and were also legally passed. Choosing not to enforce a law is equal to creating a new law that contradicts a law. That is not the role of the President and is clearly illegal. We only have one President at one time and bringing up others is a waste of time because there is nothing you can do about it.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-27 22:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Please do tell us which parts of which executive action is illegal. Everyone keeps saying "illegal actions" without actually naming anything that's illegal or even questionable.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-02-27 22:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

One he grants legal status to people clearly in America in violation of the law. Two he is issuing working papers to them which is clearly in violation of existing law. Giving them working papers go above and beyond not enforcing the law. It is saying that this is the new law.
First Page 2 3 ... 340 341 342 ... 1375 1376 1377