Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 13:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
No matter what side of the issue you are on, this is still funny.

That guy leaning against the mail box isn't praying, he is staring at that girl's ***....

Edit: paged, so have a Crystal Pepsi.

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 13:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
No one demonized anything. I don't see why you think it's ok to lie when our posts are right there and anyone can plainly see you're full of ***.
I must have touched a nerve here.

I wasn't even referring to you either...

Guilty conscience?
Then your comment makes even less sense.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 13:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

No one demonized anything. I don't see why you think it's ok to lie when our posts are right there and anyone can plainly see you're full of ***.
I must have touched a nerve here.

I wasn't even referring to you either...

Guilty conscience?
Then your comment makes even less sense.

Or maybe you should figure that not everything is about you.

That Crystal Pepsi post on the top of the page was not about you. So don't bother turning it into you.

The posts I make on other threads today are also not about you.

But since you automatically assumed that what I'm saying is about you, you had to jump on my "goodies" like a good..whatever you are..does.

And no, you cannot sleep with me, as much as you want to.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 13:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So if you're not talking about the participants of the conversation immediately preceding your post, then who are these climate science advocates who are demonizing religion?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-07-25 13:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik and Jet.

They were not "immediately preceding my post" but they were on the same page.

But don't worry, still not about you, as hard as you try to make it so.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-25 13:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you know what demonizing means?
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-25 14:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah...so breaking news.... obama is still president and the republicans are all upset about it... fox news is shocked cnn didn't bother to report on it and nobody watched msnbc to see how they felt... they are still trying to string up tubby by his heels on the GWB over bridgegate....
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 16:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik and Jet.

They were not "immediately preceding my post" but they were on the same page.

But don't worry, still not about you, as hard as you try to make it so.
Woah woah woah woah, I haven't demonized religion in at least months sir, get your ***straight.

Edit: not to mention I barely say anything about climate science, mostly because I don't need to, the only people denying it are delusional right wing nut jobs who suck on faux's ***.

***, it's like denying gravity or the theory of magnetism, or evolution, without actual proof, but hey.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-25 20:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No. No it's not. Look, I'm not going to question your opinion that climate change deniers are delusional, but saying that it's the same as denying gravity or magnetism or evolution is just stupid. They're not even close to being in the same ballpark yet.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-25 21:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
No. No it's not. Look, I'm not going to question your opinion that climate change deniers are delusional, but saying that it's the same as denying gravity or magnetism or evolution is just stupid. They're not even close to being in the same ballpark yet.

The evidence is pretty clear. Yes there are unknowns, but there has yet to be any real evidence to the contrary.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-25 21:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter unless you're talking about climate change in general, which I'm assuming Jet wasn't because that's been going on for billions of years. Man-made climate change and gravity don't belong in the same category of "proven science".
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-25 21:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

The evidence is pretty clear. Yes there are unknowns, but there has yet to be any real evidence to the contrary.

I think what he is saying is that in one case one is denying very fundamental principles in science.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-25 21:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't matter unless you're talking about climate change in general, which I'm assuming Jet wasn't because that's been going on for billions of years. Man-made climate change and gravity don't belong in the same category of "proven science".

Which is why I bolded "yet". Sadly, that's one subject that we probably won't ever prove, as by the time it's obvious to the general populous, it'll be too late for us anyway.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 21:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

They all have unknowns. I'd say climate science is most akin to evolution in that the underlying principles are well understood but the working complexity of all the items working together can create larger amounts of uncertainty (although this is probably true of gravity and its relationships with pretty much everything but I'm more familiar with climate science/evolution). Either way, they're all well-substantiated theories with, like you said, little refutation.

Man-made climate change is climate change. It is climate science. They're all one in the same. The only difference between past climate change and current is that human activity is the driving force.

People are probably more comfortable with something like gravity because they can drop their pencil and see it work therefore it "clicks" easier and is less controversial, but the evidence is what matters and what qualifies it as "proven science".
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-25 21:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

They all have unknowns. I'd say climate science is most akin to evolution in that the underlying principles are well understood but the working complexity of all the items working together can create larger amounts of uncertainty (although this is probably true of gravity and its relationships with pretty much everything but I'm more familiar with climate science/evolution). Either way, they're all well-substantiated theories with, like you said, little refutation.

Man-made climate change isn't a dynamic process. Furthermore it isn't a principle that drives an entire genre of science.

Evolution is a dynamic process. Evolution is a driving principle which is the backbone of biology.

You cannot compare evolution to man-made climate change.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 21:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not really the comparison I was making. I wasn't advocating the field as a fundamental principle like evolution. Climate science boils down to basic physics and chemistry so, yes, denying man-made climate change is denying very fundamental principles in science.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-25 21:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't advocating the field as a fundamental principle like evolution. Climate science boils down to basic physics and chemistry so, yes, denying man-made climate change is denying very fundamental principles in science.

Climate science doesn't dictate the fields of physics or chemistry. Atomic structure, periodicity, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics etc. these are principles which dictate the fields of physicics and chemistry.

Man-made climate change again is NOT a dynamic process. The others are dynamic processes.

Man-made climate change is on par to man-caused extinction of a particular species. e.g. me denying that man caused the extinction of species Sea Mink doesn't deny the entire field of biology.

EDIT: btw i'm not denying that man has induced a climate change. just like I'm not that man caused the extinction of the Sea Mink
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 21:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, I never said it did that. Where are you getting these words from?

Climate is a dynamic process. Climate change science is the study of Earth's climate. Go figure.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-25 21:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Climate is a dynamic process. Climate change science is the study of Earth's climate. Go figure.

I was very specific in my wording of those sentences. Read them again.

Quote:
Man-made climate change isn't a dynamic process.

Unless your essentially saying human caused extinctions too are a dynamic process? Because that is the logic you are running right now.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 21:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

How does one differentiate the two then? Climate change vs man-made climate change, that is.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-25 21:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

I was very specific in my wording of those sentences. Read them again.

Quote:
Man-made climate change isn't a dynamic process.

Unless your essentially saying human caused extinctions too are a dynamic process? Because that is the logic you are running right now.

What, exactly, makes it not a dynamic process? I'm assuming we're using the terms differently.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-25 21:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pleebo's just trying to make something of this and defend a topic that wasn't even being attacked. When you get offended because someone says your developing science isn't as verifiable as gravity, then you're way too emotionally charged on the subject to be rational.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 22:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave a rational response to your statement that climate change (anthropogenic or otherwise, it doesn't matter) isn't a verifiable science. Don't even act like this is a personal matter unless that's all you have as a rebuttal.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-25 22:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

What, exactly, makes it not a dynamic process? I'm assuming we're using the terms differently.

Man-made climate change is not a dynamic process simply because of the fact that it is dependent on the existence of man. Just as human caused extinctions are not a dynamic process, because they are dependent on existence of man.

Gravity is not dependent on man, it will occur regardless if man exists. Evolution is not dependent on man, it will occur regardless if man exists.

Man-made climate change(caused by emissions etc) is dependent on man, it will not occur if man does not exist.

When you get offended because someone says your developing science isn't as verifiable as gravity, then you're way too emotionally charged on the subject to be rational.
Like I said before it's on par to human caused extinctions. It's a very particular event in the history of earth.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-25 22:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave a rational response to your statement that climate change (anthropogenic or otherwise, it doesn't matter) isn't a verifiable science. Don't even act like this is a personal matter unless that's all you have as a rebuttal.

I didn't say it wasn't a verifiable science, but there are a myriad of factors to take into account, which could easily screw with the statistical viability of any data. Correlation is not causation, and climate change does not have the robustness of statistical proof that many other sciences have. I would venture to say that causation is impossible to prove under the current circumstances.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-25 22:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Man-made climate change is not a dynamic process simply because of the fact that it is dependent on the existence of man. Just as human caused extinctions are not a dynamic process, because they are dependent on existence of man.

Gravity is not dependent on man, it will occur regardless if man exists. Evolution is not dependent on man, it will occur regardless if man exists.

Man-made climate change(caused by emissions etc) is dependent on man, it will not occur if man does not exist.

I think you're misunderstanding the way AGC works. It may have required us as a catalyst, but at a certain point it becomes a runaway train. On the same token, it's not as if AGC doesn't impact us as well. The distinction doesn't make the conclusion any different, the oceans are warming, weather patterns and climates changing, and evidence shows we're AT LEAST accelerating it. It follows the same chemistry as any other natural process.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 22:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

@Bacon
k

What does that have to do with what I said. Here is my exact analogy as stated in my first response:
I'd say climate science is most akin to evolution in that the underlying principles are well understood but the working complexity of all the items working together can create larger amounts of uncertainty
That's it. I don't know what argument you're trying to make.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-07-25 22:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're misunderstanding the way AGC works. It may have required us as a catalyst, but at a certain point it becomes a runaway train. On the same token, it's not as if AGC doesn't impact us as well. The distinction doesn't make the conclusion any different, the oceans are warming, weather patterns and climates changing, and evidence shows we're AT LEAST accelerating it. It follows the same chemistry as any other natural process.

I understand what you are saying. It's the same when discussing extinction. Again man-caused extinctions are not an ongoing process. extinctions are. Things are always going to go extinct. Things aren't always going to go extinct because of man.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-07-25 22:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say it wasn't a verifiable science, but there are a myriad of factors to take into account, which could easily screw with the statistical viability of any data. Correlation is not causation, and climate change does not have the robustness of statistical proof that many other sciences have. I would venture to say that causation is impossible to prove under the current circumstances.
So, baseless contrarianism. I don't see how you can make such a bold statement when you've admitted you're not familiar with some of the more basic research. You still seem to be operating under the assumption that climate scientists don't understand basic statistics (or don't employ the expertise of professional statisticians).
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-07-25 22:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So, baseless contrarianism. I don't see how you can make such a bold statement when you've admitted you're not familiar with some of the more basic research. You still seem to be operating under the assumption that climate scientists don't understand basic statistics (or don't employ the expertise of professional statisticians).

There's a huge difference between understanding basic statistics and having professional statisticians on board to being able to say, without a doubt, that you have proven causation. I've gone looking for it, and I've not found any source showing me that proof aside from your own "uh huh, we totes have proof".

Edit: On the other hand, if you would just say "The correlation is strong enough to at least support the idea at this time," then I would reply, "Cool." At that point we could at least move the conversation to the policies and not the science.
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 1375 1376 1377