Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 167 168 169 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 09:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Oh that's been an issue for years though.

Depending on the teacher, of course.

I had a typing class in high school that I consistently got "Bs" in because I could type faster than anyone, but I didn't hit the keys with the right fingers for the dumbfuck clerical instructor.

She was like Mavis Beacon. Except real. And a ***.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-17 09:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I've always found the "homerows" to be moronic.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 09:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

My issue is that I'm left-handed and I just sort of naturally learned to reach around a lot of the keyboard with my left hand even though they're traditionally "right-handed" keys.

It does prevent me from ever using an ergonomic keyboard, but otherwise it's simply not an issue and she was such a *** about it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-17 09:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, there's a few teachers in my memory that I'd like to go back and tell to go *** off.

Well the one who pissed me off in highschool I got to punch right in the face, so I guess that pretty much said it.
By Nazrious 2014-12-17 09:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Common Core according to FFXI.

Player knows how to play NIN/BLM the best, in order to accommodate this player every other player is forced to also learn and only play NIN/BLM.

Imagine if this was the reality of FFXI as of tomorrow, no buffs to NIN/BLM or change to content, SE would have some very empty servers.

Common Core is supposed to be easier and more intuitive for the majority. This is not true, and it wastes considerably more time.

350÷7

50+50+50+50+50+50+50=350

Ok not to bad

333÷7... yep dont just do long division, just sit there and "intuitively" get the answer. Oh and draw some tables and number lines to help develop your art skills.

/facepalm
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-12-17 09:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame left handed screwdrivers
[+]
By volkom 2014-12-17 09:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

My issue is that I'm left-handed and I just sort of naturally learned to reach around a lot of the keyboard with my left hand even though they're traditionally "right-handed" keys.

It does prevent me from ever using an ergonomic keyboard, but otherwise it's simply not an issue and she was such a *** about it.

I don't type like a normal person does. My left hand goes as far as U H N on the keyboard when I type but I always start on the "homerow"
Took a typing class in high school. pretty much played games in class since I knew how to type thanks to entering cheat codes while playing starcraft back in elementary. Teacher didn't care as long as I finished my typing lessons and could help others with word/doc formatting
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-17 09:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, going to stop you right there.

We know why you go that far, with your Yourichi pictures, etc.
[+]
By volkom 2014-12-17 09:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard will face trial next year on 300,000 charges of complicity to murder, a northern German court ruled on Tuesday. Oskar Groening has spoken openly in interviews about his time as an SS guard at Hitler's infamous death camp in occupied Poland, but insisted he only witnessed atrocities and did not any crimes. The state court in Lueneburg confirmed that Groening will stand trial as early as April for the charges, which relate to the period between May 16 and July 11, 1944.

source

thoughts?
By fonewear 2014-12-17 09:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

They are 93... life sentence will be like two years
By volkom 2014-12-17 09:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

basically yeah~ so what's the point? is it just for justice?
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 10:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

Honestly, if I were 93 and in his position, I'd just be like, "Look. It wasn't a place where you just said 'no' to what you were told or what was 'suggested' for you to do because you feared for yourself and your family too. I'm not proud to have been any part of it. That said; at this point, I'm 93. My best years are long behind me. I know the extent of my involvement and stand by it. If putting me on trial will give someone any closure, then so be it, but please consider that you may be doing more harm than good by carrying on with this 70-year-old attempt at 'justice'."
[+]
By volkom 2014-12-17 10:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if I were 93 and in his position, I'd just be like, "Look. It wasn't a place where you just said 'no' to what you were told or what was 'suggested' for you to do because you feared for yourself and your family too. I'm not proud to have been any part of it. That said; at this point, I'm 93. My best years are long behind me. I know the extent of my involvement and stand by it. If putting me on trial will give someone any closure, then so be it, but please consider that you may be doing more harm than good by carrying on with this 70-year-old attempt at 'justice'."
yeah that's what I was thinking.
By fonewear 2014-12-17 10:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I would think the statute of limitations would be up after 70 years also.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 10:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I would think the statute of limitations would be up after 70 years also.

Murder generally has no statute of limitations, and I assume with the touchiness of this particular topic, conspiracy/complicity is sticking around too.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-17 10:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you know he was just complicit out of fear?

Did you know that The United States had been using Social Security money to pay Nazis to leave the US and then kept paying them monthly to stay out? They just passed a bill this month ending that practice though. Probably been awhile since anyone was paid to leave but the S.S. payments have been kept up til now.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 11:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
How do you know he was just complicit out of fear?

I don't. But my point is that how do you prove a damn thing 70 years after the fact, especially on that many charges? It just feels awfully...I don't know. Theatrical almost. Hyperbolic. "Let's throw it all at him and see what sticks!"

It's pretty well established that rank-and-file soldiers aren't tried for the crimes of their commanding officers orders under normal circumstances. Nothing about the blurb posted here indicates to me that it was anything but that.

I'm not saying this guy's innocent or guilty. I'm saying that, at this point, the only one who knows is him...and at his age, he might even be beginning to get a little cloudy on those events.

Did you know that The United States had been using Social Security money to pay Nazis to leave the US and then kept paying them monthly to stay out? They just passed a bill this month ending that practice though. Probably been awhile since anyone was paid to leave but the S.S. payments have been kept up til now.

I did see that recently when the bill went up. That's messed up.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-17 11:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't subscribe to the whole well you're old so yeah...
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 11:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't subscribe to the whole well you're old so yeah...

Well, my point on the age thing is more about what I'd like to think my mindset would be in his position more than whether or not he should be tried.

If I were in his position at that age, and if what he says is true, I'd still be like, "yeah, whatever I guess. If it will help someone find peace, do what you need to do".

I'm not saying don't put someone on trial who is a criminal just because they're old.
By volkom 2014-12-17 11:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there should be a trial and the guy should be charge if convicted of any crimes but I don't see why they should do this now after 70 years.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 11:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there should be a trial and the guy should be charge if convicted of any crimes but I don't see why they should do this now after 70 years.

Has he been known to be around this whole time and they're just now getting around to it or...what?

If he was hiding in Brazil or Argentina for the past fifty years then, yeah, okay. He might just be hiding something and the whole case takes on a different light.

But if they're "just now getting around to it", then it seems to me like maybe there was some foot dragging somewhere.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 11:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

From more into the artcile:

Quote:
Efraim Zuroff, Israel director of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Jerusalem, said he planned to ask German companies to help fund a renewed campaign to find the remaining war criminals and take advantage of the ruling, which came during the successful prosecution of John Demjanjuk.

Demjanjuk, an autoworker who lived in the U.S. for years after the war, was convicted in 2011 of 28,060 counts of being an accessory to murder and sentenced to five years in prison.

Although he died a free man in a nursing home in Germany – he was released pending his appeal – the court’s ruling that he could be convicted on his service record alone was “a total game-changer,” Zuroff said.

“Until that point … German prosecutors could not try a case unless they had evidence of a specific crime with a specific victim,” he said.

“Demjanjuk was convicted solely for his service as an armed SS guard at a death camp,” he added. “As a result, this opened up a whole new potential number of people to bring to justice.”

This is kind of scary to me. We're all very ho-hum about this happening because the Holocaust was bad. And it was bad. It was a horror, among history's biggest. So we say, "Yeah, give that Nazi scum what he deserves!"

But charging and convicting rank-and-file soldiers simply for being stationed somewhere sets a dangerous war crimes precident that makes me very uncomfortable. Previously there had to be a witness or some sort of proof that not only was this person in the vicinity, but that they actually pulled a trigger or otherwise acted in some fashion.

I just don't know. War crimes are a really dodgy situation. How many Americans could (maybe even should?) be put on trial under these considerations, save but that we emerged victorious or, at least, still intact and in power, after multiple conflicts?
By volkom 2014-12-17 11:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow so under a system like that. that could affect all past and present veterans/soldiers based on their service record that could span decades in time? That's some ***right there
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 12:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow so under a system like that. that could affect all past and present veterans/soldiers based on their service record that could span decades in time? That's some ***right there

It certainly sends "beyond a reasonable double" right out the window.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

That deal was enacted back in the 1960s, if memory served me correctly.

It's not going to really effect the recipients at all at this point in their lives, there are so few of them left and they already received more benefits than they would lose.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 12:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

It's not going to really effect the recipients at all at this point in their lives, there are so few of them left and they already received more benefits than they would lose.

Yeah. I just know that I, for one, wasn't aware of it until the bill to cut it off. That's all I'm saying.

It's a damn shame that practice was going on at all, let alone for so long.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Yeah. I just know that I, for one, wasn't aware of it until the bill to cut it off. That's all I'm saying.

It's a damn shame that practice was going on at all, let alone for so long.
I think it was a deal to expatriate them out of America just to get rid of their presence here.

It was a win/win for both of us. We get rid of evil people and they stop being assaulted (physically, verbally, and emotionally) here in the states.

I believe only 350 of these people received these benefits too, again if memory serves me correctly.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 12:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose.

Extradition would have been preferable to expatriatation.

Especially given it was so much more recent in light of the events and trial/prosecution would have been much easier then, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Pretty sure we've ever been as helpful as possible to those trying to hunt down and prosecute Nazis.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose.

Extradition would have been preferable to expatriatation.

Especially given it was so much more recent in light of the events and trial/prosecution would have been much easier then, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Pretty sure we've ever been as helpful as possible to those trying to hunt down and prosecute Nazis.
Extradition would have been costly and politically horrendous to do, even against a group commonly known as evil as they are.

Think of it this way: If the US government evicts a specific group of people just because of popular belief, what's to stop the US government from doing it to a larger group later on? Remember, this happened around the 1960s, which is during the time of the Civil Rights Movement. This could be viewed as a precursor the illusion of racism in the federal government.
By volkom 2014-12-17 14:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Obamas talked with People magazine about dealing with their "own racist experiences," as the magazine described.

Michelle Obama told one story that recently took place, even as she was first lady of the United States.

"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new," Michelle Obama, who is 5'11", said.

She also said that her husband, Barack Obama, was asked to get coffee when he was wearing a tux. "He was wearing a tuxedo at a black-tie dinner, and somebody asked him to get coffee," she told People.

The president told his own experiences. "There's no black male my age, who's a professional, who hasn't come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn't hand them their car keys," Obama told the magazine.
source
First Page 2 3 ... 167 168 169 ... 1375 1376 1377