Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-28 23:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A small number of undocumented immigrants in the U.S. will have an opportunity to join the military for the first time in decades under a new Department of Defense policy unveiled Thursday.

The new rules will expand an existing program allowing recruiters to target foreign nationals with high-demand skills, mostly rare foreign language expertise or specialized health care training.

For the first time, the program — known as Military Accessions in the National Interest, or MAVNI — will be open to immigrants without a proper visa if they came to the U.S. with their parents before age 16. More specifically, they must be approved under a 2012 Obama administration policy known as Deferred Action for Child Arrivals, or DACA.
Military to allow undocumented immigrants to serve
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-30 07:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Omar Gonzalez, the man apprehended while darting through the White House, had been living for weeks at the president’s residence, according to several whistleblowers.

The sources say Gonzalez, 42, spent most of July camping on the north lawn of the famous executive mansion, telling guards he was President Obama’s golf friend who recently had become homeless. By July 30, Gonzalez had inched close enough to the entrance to slip in undetected, as the intruder alarm had been muted at the request of Michelle Obama’s mother, Marian Robinson, who also lives at the White House and is sensitive to loud sounds.

Once inside, Gonzalez, an Iraq war veteran, took the stairs up to the First Family’s living quarters. Upon running into the First Lady’s mother, Gonzalez adopted a falsetto voice, feigned an accent, and introduced himself as Omar Vasquez from Puerto Rico, claiming he was the new White House manicurist. Robinson then introduced him to granddaughters Sasha and Malia, and eventually to President Obama himself.

Gonzalez was given a small storage room in which to set up makeshift salon, and after several weeks, according to unnamed leakers who fear official retribution, he came to be known as “Cousin Omar” and was taking care of the hands and feet of all the women in the White House, and some men, too, including President Obama himself, who is rumored to have large corns that require daily care.

Press secretary Josh Earnest was quick to deny the allegations, saying Gonzalez was inside the White House for “a few minutes, or a day at most,” pointing out that security has been tight ever since 2009, when a lost Japanese tourist was found in the Oval Office, smoking a cigarette and frantically texting his wife to send help.

“At no time was President Obama or the First Lady in any real danger, and even if the suspect was inside the White House, Secret Service agents were totally monitoring the guy,” Earnest said. “Had Mr. Gonzalez tried anything funny or rash, an agent would have quickly torn his arm from its socket.”

However, official White House activity logs show that Gonzalez developed a close relationship with the Obamas, who even allowed him to sleep near the foot of their bed one stormy night after he complained of having nightmares about the end of the world. One source says Gonzalez also became well-known to the cooking staff, as he often ordered bizarre items like “pickled head of pigeon” and “boiled sheep eyes” — dishes that, in retrospect, should have sounded the alarm. Even worse was that by mid-September, Gonzalez had convinced staff he was the reincarnation of Rasputin, the infamous advisor to Russia’s Romanov family.

The ruse fell apart when a visiting head of state’s security detail demanded to know the identity of the unbathed nude fellow was who badgering everyone for spare change, and White House staff were unable to provide a full name. That’s when Gonzalez tried to flee to his closet salon, prompting Secret Service agents to give chase.

“They totally dropped the ball on this one,” said former White House Secretary Jay Carney. “Everyone knew about Cousin Omar and his apocalyptic visions, and everyone liked him, so why all the secrecy? Just tell the truth, and people will be cool with it.”

Secret Service Director Julia Pierson, whose office is in charge of personal security for President Obama and his family, said the incident is unacceptable but “not entirely surprising” given remarks Obama made in 2012 when he said, “I don’t lock the door to my house, so drop in anytime and tell me about how the atmosphere is collapsing and the end is nigh.”
White House jumper had been living with Obamas for months
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-30 07:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
By July 30, Gonzalez had inched close enough to the entrance to slip in undetected, as the intruder alarm had been muted at the request of Michelle Obama’s mother, Marian Robinson, who also lives at the White House and is sensitive to loud sounds.
Anyone else finds this disturbing?

Mother-in-law jeopardizes the safety of the most wanted powerful man in the world.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-30 16:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In the fallout over President Barack Obama blaming the intelligence community for the rise of the Islamic State, a new report has surfaced showing that he attended less than half of his daily intel briefings.

The Government Accountability Institute, an investigative research organization, said the president went to only 42.1 percent of his intelligence meetings, known as the Presidential Daily Brief, or PDB, in the 2,079 days of his presidency through Monday, according to Breitbart.

The GAI report also revealed during his first term he attended 42.4 percent of the briefings, while Obama has even reduced that number in his second term, with just a 41.3 percent attendance record.

During an interview on CBS’s “60 Minutes” on Sunday, the president claimed that Director of National Intelligence James Clapper had failed to warn the Obama administration that the Islamic State terror group, also known as ISIS, was gaining a strong foothold in Iraq and Syria.

“I think our head of the intelligence community, Jim Clapper, has acknowledged that I think they underestimated what had been taking place in Syria,” he said.

The Daily Beast’s Eli Lake alleged on Monday that as long as eight months ago Obama’s senior intelligence officials had alerted the White House that ISIS was growing in power while attempting to create a caliphate in Iraq and Syria.
GAI: Obama Skipped Over Half His Daily Intel Briefs
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-01 15:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
U.S. Secret Service Director Julia Pierson, appointed to fix the embattled agency in the wake of a scandal in which agents consorted with prostitutes in Colombia, has resigned, Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson announced Wednesday.

Pierson “offered her resignation, and I accepted it,” Johnson said in a statement. “I salute her 30 years of distinguished service to the Secret Service and the Nation.” She was the agency's first female director.

At the White House, press secretary Josh Earnest said President Obama had telephoned Pierson to thank her for her service.

"Over the last several days, we’ve seen recent and accumulating reports raising questions about the performance of the agency," Earnest told reporters. "The president concluded that new leadership of that agency was required."

Johnson said he had appointed retired Secret Service agent Joseph Clancy, former head of the Presidential Protective Division of the Secret Service, to lead the agency.

Earnest praised Clancy as the right choice, stressing that he has the "full confidence of the president and the first lady."

And the secretary said he had decided that “a distinguished panel of independent experts” should look into the Sept. 19 incident in which a man armed with a knife scaled the White House fence and got deep into the presidential mansion before being stopped.

“The panelists will be named shortly. By December 15, 2014, this panel will submit to me its own assessment and recommendations concerning security of the White House compound,” Johnson said. “I will also invite the panel to submit to me recommendations for potential new directors of the Secret Service, to include recommendations of individuals who come from outside the Secret Service.”
Secret Service chief Pierson resigns amid security breach scandal
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-01 16:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Quote:
By July 30, Gonzalez had inched close enough to the entrance to slip in undetected, as the intruder alarm had been muted at the request of Michelle Obama’s mother, Marian Robinson, who also lives at the White House and is sensitive to loud sounds.

Mother-in-law jeopardizes the safety of the most wanted powerful man in the world.
I would be but I'm fairly certain that's an onion-esque article.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-01 16:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Quote:

Probably right, didn't check the source.
By Bloodrose 2014-10-01 16:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Mothers-in-Law are the greatest threat to national and domestic security.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-01 16:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Quote:

Mothers-in-Law are the greatest threat to national and domestic security.
Greatest threat to all life on earth.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-02 21:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A Georgia woman was mistakenly jailed for one month after cops confused her SpaghettiOs for meth.

Ashley Gabrielle Huff was first detained on July 2 after officers in Gainesville found a spoon with a dried substance baked onto it inside her car during a routine traffic stop.

The 23-year-old, from Commerce, claimed it was residue from the canned pasta that she liked to eat in the vehicle.

Police, however, believed it to be methamphetamine.

Huff, who had no criminal history, was sent to Hall County Jail for two days so cops could conduct crime lab tests on the mysterious texture.

While she was waiting for the results to come back, Huff was also ordered as part of her court arraignment to seek drug counseling.

When she wasn't able to make all of the appointments, however, she was again arrested.

Unable to make the bond payment, she was put in jail from Aug. 2 until Sept. 18, reports the Gainesville Times.

She was finally released Thursday after tests on the substance proved it wasn't meth — and showed that it was in fact, as she'd claimed all along, spaghetti sauce.
Georgia woman mistakenly jailed for more than a month after cops confused SpaghettiOs for meth
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-10-02 22:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Georgia woman mistakenly jailed for more than a month after cops confused SpaghettiOs for meth

Common mistake. No self-respecting drug addict has gone through life without accidentally injecting SpaghettiOs into their body.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 23:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A Georgia woman was mistakenly jailed for one month after cops confused her SpaghettiOs for meth.

Ashley Gabrielle Huff was first detained on July 2 after officers in Gainesville found a spoon with a dried substance baked onto it inside her car during a routine traffic stop.

The 23-year-old, from Commerce, claimed it was residue from the canned pasta that she liked to eat in the vehicle.

Huff, who had no criminal history, was sent to Hall County Jail for two days so cops could conduct crime lab tests on the mysterious texture.

While she was waiting for the results to come back, Huff was also ordered as part of her court arraignment to seek drug counseling.

When she wasn't able to make all of the appointments, however, she was again arrested.

Unable to make the bond payment, she was put in jail from Aug. 2 until Sept. 18, reports the Gainesville Times.

She was finally released Thursday after tests on the substance proved it wasn't meth — and showed that it was in fact, as she'd claimed all along, spaghetti sauce.

Quite frankly: she should file charges against the department and local court, they had no business requiring drug counseling without a conviction, nor holding that long before being put in front of a judge. /sigh
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-02 23:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Quote:

Quite frankly: she should file charges against the department and local court, they had no business requiring drug counseling without a conviction, nor holding that long before being put in front of a judge. /sigh
Welcome to American justice.
By Altimaomega 2014-10-02 23:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Spotless record and all of this over SpaghettiOs.. Every person involved in this should be fired. Then massive grievance reimbursements should be made to this person. When none of that happens this person should sue for millions.. Maybe that will piss the tax payers off enough to get some things changed.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 23:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll add Georgia to the list of places to never live, I'll still eat a can of those now and again.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-10-03 00:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll add Georgia to the list of places to never live, I'll still eat a can of those now and again.
By now I'd be surprised if "Planet Earth" isn't on that list.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-03 00:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
By now I'd be surprised if "Planet Earth" isn't on that list.

Honestly if I had the choice, it probably would be. At least to stay away from for a long time, but almost everyone gets homesick at some point, no?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-03 07:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama Claims His Economy Is A Success
By Ramyrez 2014-10-03 08:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know that I'd say it's been an unprecedented "success", as there are still plenty of huge problems looming, but I can say anecdotally that a lot of people I know are in a better place than we were when he took office, though. Myself included.

Much like any politician, claiming success within an individually-defined set of criteria is key.
By volkom 2014-10-03 08:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

success at sucking
[+]
By fonewear 2014-10-03 08:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I like him more when he is golfing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2014/01/24/after-five-years-of-obamanomics-a-record-100-million-americans-not-working/

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 08:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I don't know that I'd say it's been an unprecedented "success", as there are still plenty of huge problems looming, but I can say anecdotally that a lot of people I know are in a better place than we were when he took office, though. Myself included.

Much like any politician, claiming success within an individually-defined set of criteria is key.
That's not fair analysis.

When he first took office, the country was in the worst recession since the Great Depression.

3 years after the recession was "over" people were still feeling the effects of the recession, like it never ended.

Only now are we back to pre-recession way of life. Imagine the 6 years of potential growth that was missed out from this.

Even worse, we still have an over-inflated economy that will crash when QE stops. Add the student loan fiasco that will happen shortly afterwards and we are back to where we were when Obama came to office.

Do you honestly think that we are in a much better place now since Obama took office? All I see is that we are biding our time to the next recession and hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as the previous one.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-03 08:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

His name is President Ebola now
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 08:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
You know what's strange?

If this happened during the Bush administration, you know he would be getting the full blame for it (people still believe that Bush was the cause of Katrina).

And yet, nobody is pointing the finger towards Obama for this issue.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-03 08:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

When he first took office, the country was in the worst recession since the Great Depression.

3 years after the recession was "over" people were still feeling the effects of the recession, like it never ended.

Only now are we back to pre-recession way of life. Imagine the 6 years of potential growth that was missed out from this.

Even worse, we still have an over-inflated economy that will crash when QE stops. Add the student loan fiasco that will happen shortly afterwards and we are back to where we were when Obama came to office.

Do you honestly think that we are in a much better place now since Obama took office? All I see is that we are biding our time to the next recession and hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as the previous one.

Has it ever been any other way? The economy has peaks and valleys. It's always been thus. Until we completely overhaul the way our economy works -- which isn't going to happen, ever -- that's how it will always be.

I certainly don't think we'd be in a better position now, socially or economically, had Romney been elected in 12, and I think we'd be thoroughly *** had McCain/Twitwoman been elected in 08.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-10-03 09:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what's strange?

If this happened during the Bush administration, you know he would be getting the full blame for it (people still believe that Bush was the cause of Katrina).

Nor should they be.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-03 09:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what's strange?

Bush didn't "cause" Katrina. It was a god damn storm.

Just like Obama didn't "cause" Ebola.

It's the response. And the Bush administration (obviously not just the man himself, as no president acts alone despite what some will say) responded pretty poorly to Katrina, as I recall.

And for what it's worth, yeah. The current administration's response to national/international events have not been ideal in my mind, either.

*shrug*

All I'm saying is that I know that where I am, and the positions that I and my extended network of friends and family are in, I'm near positive that we'd be worse off had the alternatives taken power.

And I'm 100% positive that we'd be in better position still had Corbett not won the election in Pennsylvania following the gubenatorial abortion that was Ed Rendell.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-03 09:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Has it ever been any other way? The economy has peaks and valleys. It's always been thus. Until we completely overhaul the way our economy works -- which isn't going to happen, ever -- that's how it will always be.

I certainly don't think we'd be in a better position now, socially or economically, had Romney been elected in 12, and I think we'd be thoroughly *** had McCain/Twitwoman been elected in 08.
We will never know. Unless it becomes possible to open a parallel universe where McCain won in '08 or Romney won in '12.

All we have to go by is what happened.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-03 09:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people would argue they were in a better position before 2008 than they are in today.

In terms of presidential legacies, that's a pretty awful one to leave.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-03 09:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Most people would argue they were in a better position before 2008 than they are in today.

In terms of presidential legacies, that's a pretty awful one to leave.

Except that he didn't even get sworn in until '09...

Gee, who was president for eight years before that?
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 1375 1376 1377