Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 118 119 120 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 08:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

"After interviewing these individuals, including those writing the book, and all of the others on the ground that night, both Republicans and Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee concluded that there was not, in fact, an order to stand down and no evidence was found to support such a claim."

So, every one of the guys claims there was a stand down order, but I'm sure glad intelligence committees made up their minds that there wasn't one. Sounds legit.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-16 08:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought they were told to stand down and wait for orders by their team leader standing right next to them, which is not worth talking about, much less writing a book about. Its not the same as receiving an order to stand down.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 09:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I thought they were told to stand down and wait for orders by their team leader standing right next to them, which is not worth talking about, much less writing a book about. Its not the same as receiving an order to stand down.

Something tells me you haven't read the full account. Go ahead, I can wait.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-16 10:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So, in Vic's mind, being ordered to stand down =/= being ordered to stand down.

Makes perfect sense.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-16 10:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I think using a cat brush on a wedding dress is a violation of fashion law or something.

You use the cat brush on the cat before the wedding. Duct tape on the wedding dress if all else fails.
Sounds like "animal abuse".
Well, for those that equate homosexual sex with bestiality, it is probably more like S&M.
lol'd at this
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-16 11:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's an interesting thing I saw today.

In 1964 a quarter ($0.25) could buy you 1 gallon of gasoline.

Today, if you had that same quarter from 1964 (they were silver back then) it would buy you almost 2 gallons of gas.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-16 11:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Today, if you had that same quarter from 1964 (they were silver back then) it would buy you almost 2 gallons of gas.

Strictly speaking, that quarter would still only buy you $.25 of gasoline.

To buy two gallons of gasoline you'd need to find someone to give you current market value for the silver in the quarter. And that's assuming they didn't charge some sort of fee for the service.

Precious metals are a tricky thing. Which is why some companies make a killing getting people to sell them their old jewelry and the like at sub-market prices for gold because while, yes, it has a certain value to it, trying to flip that value into hard cash can be difficult.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-16 11:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

inflation and precious metal prices both went up, go figure.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-16 11:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

To buy two gallons of gasoline you'd need to find someone to give you current market value for the silver in the quarter. And that's assuming they didn't charge some sort of fee for the service.

Precious metals are a tricky thing. Which is why some companies make a killing getting people to sell them their old jewelry and the like at sub-market prices for gold because while, yes, it has a certain value to it, trying to flip that value into hard cash can be difficult.
It's actually very easy to do, well at least for me anyways since I've been back to the states. That's how I make money here, selling precious metals. Just made a killing off of palladium when it went over $900/ounce. It's dropped down since then though.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-16 11:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually very easy to do, well at least for me anyways since I've been back to the states. That's how I make money here, selling precious metals. Just made a killing off of palladium when it went over $900/ounce. It's dropped down since then though.

What were you doing? stealing Tony's spare "hearts?"
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-16 12:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that from Iron Man?
By Jetackuu 2014-09-16 12:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that from Iron Man?
yes
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-16 14:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Facebook 'Name Change' Policy Disproportionately Affecting LGBT Community

Quote:
What happens when a culture interweaves a social media outlet into virtually every part of the human experience -- and then that platform makes a dramatic change? That's one of the questions on many people's minds with what is being referred to as a "name change" policy on social media giant Facebook.

Several days ago, a large percentage of individuals operating personal profiles on Facebook under pseudonyms, stage names, or any name not matching their legal name received this message when logging onto their Facebook accounts:

While this policy implementation, which is reportedly not new but seems to have been rarely enforced before now, is affecting a wide-range of people (both *** and not), a specific portion of the lesbian, gay, biseuxal and transgender (LGBT) community are facing an entirely new set of challenges as a result: performers, entertainers and drag queens. With this policy in effect, it is virtually impossible to find an entertainer -- or anyone who self-identifies with a name that isn't legally documented -- on Facebook unless that individual operates a separate fan page.

"The focus of my work is activism and charity," prominent Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence member Sister Roma told The Huffington Post. "I share photos and promote my events, but mostly I use my personal profile page to to raise awareness about civil rights issues, especially as they pertain to the LGBT community... I do this work as Sister Roma and that is how the Facebook community knows me and who they look for to get news about these issues and events. If you ask anyone what my name is, in or out of drag, they will tell you it's Roma. No one knows Michael Williams."

Sister Roma is currently working with openly gay San Francisco politician David Campos to organize a face-to-face meeting with Facebook. In the meantime, Roma has scheduled a protest called #MyNameIs at the Facebook headquarters in San Francisco on Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 11 a.m.

"If people want to use an alternative name on Facebook, they have several different options available to them, including providing an alias under their name on their profile, or creating a Page specifically for that alternative persona," a representative of Facebook told The Huffington Post. "As part of our overall standards, we ask that people who use Facebook provide their real name on their profile.”

However, *** performers aren't the only individuals affected by the Facebook "name change" policy. New York drag performer and artist Untitled Queen, who was forced to change her name this week, told The Huffington Post, "I feel this is a larger security issue for transgender people who are often unable to secure legal proof of their name changes, as well as those that need protection from stalkers or other aggressors." Campos echoed this statement on his Facebook, claiming "...the ability to self-identify is a matter of health and safety. Not allowing drag performers, transgender people and other members of our community to go by their chosen names can result in violence, stalking, violations of privacy and repercussions at work."

Additionally, other individuals operating under pseudonyms, like writer James St. James, are also faced with finding a way to navigate this unique set of challenges. "I’m a writer. James St James is the name I am known by," St. James told The Huffington Post. "I’ve spent the past thirty years building that name as a brand, and they took that away from me just like that?... It’s remarkably tone deaf, especially coming from a company that just recently gave us 58 gender options."

With the majority of this forced "name change" occurring over the past week, the end result remains unclear. However, Sister Roma seems hopeful that those affected will be able to achieve a positive outcome.

"I don't think Facebook hates drag queens or is targeting gay people," Sister Roma continued. "I hope that we can meet with Facebook for an open dialogue with the community this affects directly. I'm hopeful this policy will be revisited and a compromise will be found."
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-16 14:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh my. I've got a friend this is going to really screw with.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-16 14:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What I don't understand is why they simply won't legally change their name if it has business implications?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-16 14:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

What I don't understand is why they simply won't legally change their name if it has business implications?

Well, for my friend it isn't a business implication (largely, anyhow). It's a personal thing. Maybe he will legally change it. I don't know.

I haven't spoken with him at length about it. I just know that for him it's a bit of a buffer from a problematic past. In this particular case I'm touched he counted me friend enough to carry over.

I just wonder to what extent it's going to affect him.
 Leviathan.Xsoahc
By Leviathan.Xsoahc 2014-09-16 15:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Facebook is serious business.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-16 15:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

And now for the serious business. What of all of those poor people out there with facebook pages for their pets? I know my sister-in-law will be devastated.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-16 16:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Makes perfect sense.

Being ordered by your team leader standing next to you to take it easy is not the same as a stand down order that comes from the top, you don't know ***about anything so I wouldn't expect you to get that incredibly simple concept.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 16:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Makes perfect sense.

Being ordered by your team leader standing next to you to take it easy is not the same as a stand down order that comes from the top, you don't know ***about anything so I wouldn't expect you to get that incredibly simple concept.

No one is saying anything about the order coming from "the top". You made that up yourself. I do love how you change the wording from "stand down" to "take it easy" to suit your narrative though. They were told not to act in any case, which is what a stand down order is.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-16 17:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite part about Benghazi so far is how the anti-republican crowd makes the assumption that it's already a closed case even though the official hearings don't start until next week.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-16 17:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The deputy of slain U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens has told congressional investigators that a team of Special Forces prepared to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi during the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks was forbidden from doing so by U.S. Special Operations Command Africa.

The account from Gregory Hicks is in stark contrast to assertions from the Obama administration, which insisted that nobody was ever told to stand down and that all available resources were utilized. Hicks gave private testimony to congressional investigators last month in advance of his upcoming appearance at a congressional hearing Wednesday.

According to excerpts released Monday, Hicks told investigators that SOCAFRICA commander Lt. Col. Gibson and his team were on their way to board a C-130 from Tripoli for Benghazi prior to an attack on a second U.S. compound "when [Col. Gibson] got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, 'you can't go now, you don't have the authority to go now.' And so they missed the flight ... They were told not to board the flight, so they missed it."

No assistance arrived from the U.S. military outside of Libya during the hours that Americans were under attack or trapped inside compounds by hostile forces armed with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and AK-47 rifles.
Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "you can't go" to Benghazi during attacks

Quote:
Five commandos guarding the C.I.A. base in Benghazi, Libya, in September 2012 say that the base chief stopped them from interceding in time to save the lives of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and an American technician during the attack on the diplomatic mission there.

In a new book scheduled for release next week and obtained by The New York Times, the commandos say they protested repeatedly as the base chief ordered them to wait in their vehicles, fully armed, for 20 minutes while the attack on the diplomatic mission was unfolding less than a mile away.

“If you guys do not get here, we are going to die!” a diplomatic security agent then shouted to them over the radio, the commandos say in the book, and they left the base in defiance of the chief’s continuing order to “stand down.”
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

The book, titled “13 Hours,” is the first public account of the night’s events by any of the American security personnel involved in the attack. The accusation that the base chief, referred to in the book only as “Bob,” held back the rescue opens a new front in a fierce political battle over who is at fault for the American deaths.

Republicans have blamed President Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton, then the secretary of state, for the security failure.

American officials have previously acknowledged that the Central Intelligence Agency security team paused to try to enlist support from Libyan militia allies. But the book is the first detailed account of the extent of the delay, its consequences for the rescue attempt, and who made the decisions.

The commandos’ account — which fits with the publicly known facts and chronology — suggests that the base chief issued the “stand down” orders on his own authority. He hoped to enlist local Libyan militiamen, and the commandos speculate that he hoped the Libyans could carry out the rescue alone to avoid exposing the C.I.A. base.

No meaningful Libyan help ever materialized.
New Book Says C.I.A. Official in Benghazi Held Up Rescue
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-16 18:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Makes perfect sense.

No one is saying anything about the order coming from "the top". You made that up yourself. I do love how you change the wording from "stand down" to "take it easy" to suit your narrative though. They were told not to act in any case, which is what a stand down order is.

I didn't change anything, my point stands, there is a huge difference between a stand down order coming from a team leader and one coming from a higher authority.

My favorite part about Benghazi so far is how the anti-republican crowd makes the assumption that it's already a closed case even though the official hearings don't start until next week.

Official hearings? This is the 3rd or 4th "official" hearing on Benghazi. There is nothing special about this one that separates it from the previous ones.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 18:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't change anything, my point stands, there is a huge difference between a stand down order coming from a team leader and one coming from a higher authority.
And by team leader you mean a C.I.A. official?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-16 18:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
And by team leader you mean a C.I.A. official?

Yep.
By fonewear 2014-09-17 09:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/17/justice/colorado-theater-shooting-lawsuit/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

- The parents of a woman killed during the Colorado theater shooting two years ago are suing four online retailers for negligence.

The websites sold James Holmes the ammunition, body armor, tear gas and other equipment used when he opened fired in a packed Aurora movie theater during a July 2012 midnight showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence filed the lawsuit on behalf of Sandy and Lonnie Phillips, whose daughter Jessica Ghawi was shot and killed in the attack that left 12 dead and dozens wounded.

The lawsuit alleges that Lucky Gunner, the Sportman's Guide, BulletProofBodyArmorHQ.com and BTP Arms negligently supplied Holmes.

"A crazed, homicidal killer should not be able to amass a military arsenal, without showing his face or answering a single question, with the simple click of a mouse," said a statement released by the Brady Center. "If businesses choose to sell military-grade equipment online, they must screen purchasers to prevent arming people like James Holmes."

The lawsuit says Lucky Gunner sold Holmes 4,000 rounds of ammunition. The Sportman's Guide allegedly sold Holmes a 100-round drum ammunition magazine and 700 rounds. The other vendors are said to have provided the other equipment used by Holmes.

"Two years ago when our daughter Jessica was murdered, and we first heard the details of the massacre, I asked my husband: 'How can anyone order over 4,000 rounds of ammunition without raising any red flags? Why weren't any questions asked of the person who bought all of this ammunition?" said Sandy Phillips.

"As gun owners, parents, and citizens of this country, we hope that our lawsuit will spare other families the tragedy that we have gone through after the death of our beautiful daughter."
[+]
By fonewear 2014-09-17 09:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

How dare you sell ammo. Everyone knows that gun owners are "crazed homicidal killers..."
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-17 09:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
How dare you sell ammo. Everyone knows that gun owners are "crazed homicidal killers..."

Quote:
4,000 rounds of ammunition

4,000 rounds to a private buyer is pretty excessive.
By fonewear 2014-09-17 09:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The chance of this lawsuit winning is ridiculously low. So it is a political move not an actual lawsuit.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-17 10:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The chance of this lawsuit winning is ridiculously low. So it is a political move not an actual lawsuit.

Chances of the lawsuit winning may be slim.

Chances of it enacting some sort of legislation regarding the sale of massive ammounts of ammunition or military/police-grade equipment to unqualified individuals, however, may be higher.

Edit: And hey. If "lawsuits as political moves" are bad, then everyone voting Republican better be ready to oust their incumbents in the primaries.
First Page 2 3 ... 118 119 120 ... 1375 1376 1377