Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1113 1114 1115 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Most nations need birth rates of around 2.2 to maintain their population. I'm not really opposed to limiting population growth simply for economic and sustainability reasons, but with as many people that never have children as there are in developed nations, a limit of 3 or 4 would be more reasonable and probably cause less push-back.
I don't think developed nations really need to worry about their fertility rate for overpopulation. It's the underdeveloped nations that are causing most of the overpopulation in the world...
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 14:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

In America most of what people consider as poverty is actually enough to support many families.
The problem isn't over population.
The problem is people want too much and waste too much and leave nothing for the truly needy.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
In America most of what people consider as poverty is actually enough to support many families.
The problem is people want too much and waste too much and leave nothing for the truly needy.
I made that point before, I was called racist shortly thereafter.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-01 14:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Consumerism causes a lot of food to go to waste, however there's also to consider that the stuff that goes from shelves directly to garbage cans is not something you could have saved anyway. They get thrown away cause they expired before someone bought them(and you don't make a favour to anyone by giving them expired food).
This is why(only some)food retailers just take things off shelves a couple of days before the expiration date so that they can give the stuff to charities instead of completely turning it into waste.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 14:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Most nations need birth rates of around 2.2 to maintain their population. I'm not really opposed to limiting population growth simply for economic and sustainability reasons, but with as many people that never have children as there are in developed nations, a limit of 3 or 4 would be more reasonable and probably cause less push-back.
I don't think developed nations really need to worry about their fertility rate for overpopulation. It's the underdeveloped nations that are causing most of the overpopulation in the world...

That's subjective, of course. A lot of European nations actually have negative population growth whereas countries like the USA, China, and Russia have positive growth. Undeveloped countries definitely have more issues with population growth, but, those countries don't consume the way western nations do.

With our current methods of supporting civilization, the world simply cannot sustain at this rate, and especially the USA is far too wasteful.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 14:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Consumerism causes a lot of food to go to waste, however there's also to consider that the stuff that goes from shelves directly to garbage cans is not something you could have saved anyway. They get thrown away cause they expired before someone bought them(and you don't make a favour to anyone by giving them expired food).
This is why(only some)food retailers just take things off shelves a couple of days before the expiration date so that they can give the stuff to charities instead of completely turning it into waste.
Here in the US the food grocery stores throw away is still completely edible.
It's just policy or some other reason that it gets thrown away.
It's a terrible system and it needs changing.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 14:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Make them give it to homeless shelters and food banks like a lot of municipalities do. Win win.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-01 14:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

When it comes to fruit a lot of it is thrown away (when picking it) because it doesn't look the right way (slight bruising, wrong shape etc)

Most food lasts a bit after the expiration date as well
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-01 14:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Solar's great for supplemental energy, and I just wish people would just stop being so stuck up over stupid crap like aesthetics so that we could actually get the full use out of it. For high capacity, long-term, and sustainable energy that isn't thwarted by something as simple as clouds, we need nuclear. Geothermal and hydroelectric are probably better, but obviously not everyone has access to that.

I think just about every energy source should be part of the plan. Even tidal has it's applications. There also needs to be an intelligent rework of our, frankly pathetic, national grid. The regional grids don't integrate well, there's a ton of loss, frequently maintenance and repairs take a back seat, energy is highly regulated at the local level and almost not on the national, etc. There's no reason we can't move exclusively toward truly renewable energy sources over the next few decades with modest investments, but too many people are too heavily connected and invested in fossil fuels. The rest of the opposition is quite petty, as nobody wants to live in the areas where wind and solar farms are most efficient anyway.

Yeah, just about every energy source should be part of the plan, but it's going to take a lot of intelligent planning to make it work everywhere. You're simply not going to get a lot of hydroelectric or geothermal energy out of Kansas, but there's potential for wind.

I'll never understand why nuclear is so taboo, though. We have people complaining that coal and big oil are irreparably destroying the planet, but heaven forbid we even discuss the potential of replacing them with something more powerful, more clean, and completely self-reliant simply because there's a chance something could go wrong. No, let's try and force more PC solutions that are utterly incapable of handling the task as they presently stand and watch the world (supposedly) burn while we progress at a snail's pace.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 14:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Make them give it to homeless shelters and food banks like a lot of municipalities do. Win win.
Have tried.
They refuse to.
I watch my grocery story here throwing away huge garbage cans full of fresh produce that is still completely fine.
They won't even let me take any of it.
They told me if they let me then people would throw away things on purpose so they can take it for their self's.
I think it's a ***excuse if you ask me.
Why should the needy suffer just because of a few dishonest employees that may or may not even exist? I'm certain they do exist, but that doesn't mean every employee will do this.
By fonewear 2015-12-01 14:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why should the needy suffer ? Because they are needy that is why !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

That's subjective, of course. A lot of European nations actually have negative population growth whereas countries like the USA, China, and Russia have positive growth. Undeveloped countries definitely have more issues with population growth, but, those countries don't consume the way western nations do.

With our current methods of supporting civilization, the world simply cannot sustain at this rate, and especially the USA is far too wasteful.
I'm guessing you didn't read the source I provided. Even using your assumed "2.2" repopulation rate, most developed nations are in the negative fertility rates, if you look at the data.

For example:

US Fertility rate - 1.9 (deficit of .3)
Germany Fertility rate - 1.4
France Fertility rate - 2.0
Japan - 1.4

So on, so forth.

As you can see, most undeveloped and underdeveloped nations have high fertility rates, not the developed nations themselves.

So, my point still stands.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-01 14:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
The only real issue with nuclear is how to handle the wastes, I know France are reprocessing their wastes but even so they still need geological repositories.

Even more reason to make newer reactors.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Have tried.
They refuse to.
I watch my grocery story here throwing away huge garbage cans full of fresh produce that is still completely fine.
They won't even let me take any of it.
They told me if they let me then people would throw away things on purpose so they can take it for their self's.
I think it's a ***excuse if you ask me.
Why should the needy suffer just because of a few dishonest employees that may or may not even exist? I'm certain they do exist, but that doesn't mean every employee will do this.
Good article explaining why stores don't donate and those who actually do. Spoiler alert: The big, evil, corporate grocery chains are the one's doing the donating. Get your pitchfork ready, we need something to lynch them!
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 14:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm guessing you didn't read the source I provided. Even using your assumed "2.2" repopulation rate, most developed nations are in the negative fertility rates, if you look at the data.

For example:

Japan - 1.4

So on, so forth.

As you can see, most undeveloped and underdeveloped nations have high fertility rates, not the developed nations themselves.

Probably because "developed" nations eat foods processed with a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably because "developed" nations eat foods processed with a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
Name one thing that isn't considered to cause cancer/birth defects/other harm in the State of California.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 14:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Name one thing that isn't considered to cause cancer/birth defects/other harm in the State of California.
I had to do some digging to find the answer...
 Odin.Strummer
Server: Odin
By Odin.Strummer 2015-12-01 14:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Headline: Trader Joe's Ex-President Opens Store With Aging Food And Cheap Meals

I too would like to see more things like this catch on. My dad was born during the Great Depression, and one lesson he was taught which was passed on to me was: always clean your plate.

Now, I've had to un-learn that lesson somewhat, having come of age in a an era of relative plenty; feeling compelled to always clean one's plate, considering American serving sizes, is a good way to develop overeating/binge eating habits.

I'd still rather box up leftovers than see food go to waste, though, and I would love to see less food go to waste in the marketplace in general.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to do some digging to find the answer...
Nope. California determined that my face causes head trauma to people of a specific gender and political affiliation.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 14:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Strummer said: »
Headline: Trader Joe's Ex-President Opens Store With Aging Food And Cheap Meals

I too would like to see more things like this catch on. My dad was born during the Great Depression, and one lesson he was taught which was passed on to me was: always clean your plate.

Now, I've had to un-learn that lesson somewhat, having come of age in a an era of relative plenty; feeling compelled to always clean one's plate, considering American serving sizes, is a good way to develop overeating/binge eating habits.

I'd still rather box up leftovers than see food go to waste, though, and I would love to see less food go to waste in the marketplace in general.
Could always not put as much food on your plate. I have to learn to do that now.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-01 15:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Where does anyone get the authority to limit birth rates? Hello Chinese authoritarianism.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 15:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

No point in limiting the number of children families can have anymore, unless you do it to underdeveloped and undeveloped countries like India.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-01 15:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

US sending moar troops to fight IS.
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon plans to send a special operations intelligence and strike force of between 100 and 150 troops to Iraq to conduct raids on Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria, a senior Defense official told USA TODAY Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter told Congress about the extra troops Tuesday but did not specify how many. The Defense official spoke on condition of anonymity because officials were not authorized to comment publicly on details of the new force. The team will include intelligence analysts and special operations troops skilled in conducting raids, the source said. Often those troops include Navy SEALs and the Army's Delta Force.

Carter told the House Armed Services Committee that the commandos will coordinate with the Iraqi government and fight with Iraqi and Kurdish peshmerga troops. The new troops will be above the U.S. forces already in Iraq, the official said. The unit will have intelligence gathering and analysis capabilities and the forces to strike targets.

"These special operators will over time be able to conduct raids, free hostages, gather intelligence, and capture ISIL leaders," Carter said. "That creates a virtuous cycle of better intelligence, which generates more targets, more raids, and more momentum. The raids in Iraq will be done at the invitation of the Iraqi government and focused on defending its borders and building the (Iraqi security force's) own capacity. This force will also be in a position to conduct unilateral operations into
Syria."

Carter told Congress Tuesday the Pentagon is prepared to send more special operations forces to support the fight against Islamic State terrorists in Syria.

Carter also confirmed a report in USA TODAY on Monday that the Pentagon was planning to send more commandos to Syria if the initial force of 50 found allies willing to fight and take ground from the Islamic State, also known as ISIL and Daesh. The addition of more troops to Iraq and Syria represents a significant deepening of the U.S. involvement in the fight against the Islamic State. The Obama administration has been reluctant to commit ground forces to the fight in Iraq and Syria.

The initial force special operators in Syria will work with local forces to gather intelligence on the ground and help enhance the use of air strikes by the U.S.-led coalition, Carter said. Where the special operations unit finds more opportunities to partner with local forces, more commandos will be added, Carter said.

"We are prepared to expand it," Carter said.

Carter also told Congress that the U.S.-led coalition has expanded airstrikes in November to their highest level since the campaign began in August 2014. Several senior leaders from ISIL have also been killed and its source of revenue — illegally obtained oil — has been struck., he said.

The ISIL attacks in France, which killed 130 people on Nov. 13, has added a sense of urgency to the fight, Carter said.

Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the Pentagon will seek to escalate the fight against ISIL.

"In the days ahead, we’ll be aggressive in looking for ways to reinforce success," Dunford said. "And we’ll seize every opportunity to increase the tempo and effectiveness of our operations."

During the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. special operators honed the ability to scoop up intelligence, find militants and either capture or kill them. Teams of Navy SEALs and the Army's Delta Force conducted several missions each night during the height of the fighting.

A Delta Force raid in northern Iraq in October underlined the cost of such missions. U.S. forces came to the aid of Kurdish partners who had been pinned down by enemy fire while trying to free hostages from an ISIL stronghold. Army Master Sgt. Joshua Wheeler, 39, was killed by ISIL gunfire as he helped lead the mission, which freed 69 hostages.

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican and chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, called the latest moves a "belated step forward."

"However, today’s announcement is yet another reactive and incremental step, specifically responding to the Paris attacks, in a policy that has allowed the ISIL threat to metastasize to Libya, Afghanistan, and elsewhere across the globe, McCain said in a statement.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-01 15:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

good.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 15:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't Obama decreed that there would be no troops sent to fight ISIS? That there would be no boots on the ground and all that bull?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-01 15:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

He is learning in real time the consequences of isolationism.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-01 16:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

More like dealing with miring more forces in endless wars overseas is something that sets Obama into "aw jeez, not this ***again." mode.

It's something he really doesn't want to deal with. Body language during alot of those press briefings is pretty telling. Partly ego not wanting his legacy to be tainted with eating his own previous words and partly because this foreign policy boondoggle with ISIS has no end.

IS isn't exactly going to sit down and sign peace treaties.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 16:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

For example:

Japan - 1.4

So on, so forth.

Are you so wired for conflict you can't tell when someone is agreeing with you?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 16:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
He is learning in real time the consequences of isolationism.

More specifically, doing isolationism wrong.
First Page 2 3 ... 1113 1114 1115 ... 1375 1376 1377