Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1103 1104 1105 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 11:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That depends on how much of it you eat though but yeah it's not good to eat it.

The amount they hunt is about 0.1% of the population so it is sustainable but there's really no reason to do it anymore except for cultural reasons and that's not worth it.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 11:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
They actually shoot activists if they see them.

Also do you have a source for this?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-28 11:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Some weeks ago an italian show that makes all these controversial reportages went up there to interview local people(who get all kind of mad when questioned about it)and to talk with activists. When the activists tried to make the whales run away the danish military intervened and threatened them(when they instead should forbid it because it's illegal).
They said they were shot in the past, so it's just their word.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 11:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I can find nothing about activists being shot and since it's not actually illegal in the Faroe Islands, it's not surprising that they were stopped.

I think it should be because there's no longer any reason to hunt whales (unlike before when it was a very isolated place and they needed food in the winter, they can't grow stuff) but they also only hunt a very small amount and salt and dry it themselves (which is why it's likely not found in supermarkets or restaurants).

Should be done far more humanely if it's gonna continue.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-28 11:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

They are under danish rule, where whaling is prohibited. This special concession makes no sense since it doesn't provide income, it is not needed for food(it's actually bad) and it's even done in a monstruous way.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-28 11:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

In immigration news, after Hungary and Slovenia, Macedonia too is building a wall on the greek border.

Yay more walls!
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 11:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Faroese have control of most domestic matters; areas that remain the responsibility of Denmark include military defence, police, justice, currency and foreign affairs.

Would they even have control over the whaling in the Faroe Islands in this case? It seems like something they have to ban themselves.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-28 12:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay more walls!
Can you blame them?

They don't pose any kind of threat, but they are definitely an eye sore.

Nothing like strolling down a nice historical Eastern European capital, enjoying all the sites, and then bam! A park full of refugees!
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2015-11-28 12:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Yay more walls!
Can you blame them?

Nothing like strolling down a nice historical Eastern European capital, enjoying all the sites, and then bam! A park full of refugees!

Bam! shot
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 12:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay more walls!
Can you blame them?

Apparently we have no more housing available so they have to sleep outside or find a place on their own
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-11-28 13:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

They said they were shot in the past, so it's just their word.
Did they say the shooting was during a Grindadráp or did they meant in generally?
One of the organisations present there is Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. They claimed to be shot at with lethal ammunition in the past, during the Anti-Whaling-Campaign 2008 in antarctic waters to be exact.
Chances for that to be true is low though. The only bullet found was the one the founder 'pulled out of his Bulletproof vest' but no evidence was found on the ship otherwise.
The Japanese admitted using stun grenades.

Could not find anyone mentioning even warning shots for Grindadráp.
pictures of that hunt can be found here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173617/Fishermen-chase-250-whales-beach-Faroe-Islands-locals-leap-water-glee-stab-death-slaughter-turns-sea-red-blood.html
I would like to see that 'tradition' being stopped.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-11-28 13:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Quote:
The Faroese have control of most domestic matters; areas that remain the responsibility of Denmark include military defence, police, justice, currency and foreign affairs.

Would they even have control over the whaling in the Faroe Islands in this case? It seems like something they have to ban themselves.
I'm certainly not a Danish lawyer, but according to point 13 in this publication, the Faroese would be self-governing with respect to fishing and hunting. (Jagt og fredning af dyr på territoriet. Fiskeri og fredning af fisk på territoriet.) (Hunting/Fishing and conservation of animals/fish in the territory)
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-28 13:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay more walls!
Can you blame them?

Apparently we have no more housing available so they have to sleep outside or find a place on their own
Last I heard they were complaining cause Sweden was giving them nice cottages or w/e, but they were far away in the woods and they wanted to live in the big cities.

If they're out of housing that makes why I saw Sweden trying to limit them now.

In Serbia, they want them to stay here. The deal they were offered was stop sleeping in our parks, but instead resettle the villages down south that have very few to no people that were abandoned years ago. Basically like here's a bunch of land for you to live off of, but it requires them to work and build it up, etc. Very few takers.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-28 13:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Sea Shepherd
That's them.

Very few takers.
Sometimes countries' very own propaganda can bite back(more on this later). These people have the myth that everyone is rich and life is wonderful in northern EU, Germany, Netherlands and think that by going there they will be rich and beautiful too. Or they want to go to places where people they know immigrated to in the past(I don't know about all coutries, but Germany for example has a lot of turkish people which attracts other turkish people).

Anyway, I remember some interviews to people who arrived in Italy from Africa they were saying "Italy is the paradise land, we see it all the time on tv!"
Sure, if you watch our stupid tv shows where people win money for chosing boxes or for rolling wheels it seems like this country has gold to throw at everyone...but that isn't the case. They come here to be just as poor, with a side of discrimination(but no war at least?)
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 13:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure there's enough room but only if they go up north or out west but those municipalities don't want to accept refugees, or only want to accept a small number.

In this list you can see how many they are taking in

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article21831455.ab

First you have the name, then how many people live there, people seeking asylum per 100 inhabitants, asylum seekers, and finally how many it would be if they were evenly distributed
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 13:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

In Malmö (south of Sweden) they're out of places for them so the Church there opened up at night to let them sleep on the pews until 9 am
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 13:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Quote:

I'm certainly not a Danish lawyer, but according to point 13 in this publication, the Faroese would be self-governing with respect to fishing and hunting. (Jagt og fredning af dyr på territoriet. Fiskeri og fredning af fisk på territoriet.) (Hunting/Fishing and conservation of animals/fish in the territory)

Yeah I meant "would the Danish even have a say in it since the Faroese have the right to decide 'domestic matters' themselves"
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-28 13:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Sea Shepherd
That's them.

Very few takers.
Sometimes countries' very own propaganda can bite back(more on this later). These people have the myth that everyone is rich and life is wonderful in northern EU, Germany, Netherlands and think that by going there they will be rich and beautiful too. Or they want to go to places where people they know immigrated to in the past(I don't know about all coutries, but Germany for example has a lot of turkish people which attracts other turkish people).

Anyway, I remember some interviews to people who arrived in Italy from Africa they were saying "Italy is the paradise land, we see it all the time on tv!"
Sure, if you watch our stupid tv shows where people win money for chosing boxes or for rolling wheels it seems like this country has gold to throw at everyone...but that isn't the case. They come here to be just as poor, with a side of discrimination(but no war at least?)
Agreed and a lot of places that has happened to. Particular in America, but I've heard similar stories that thought life in London would be all milk and honey. It wasn't for them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 16:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Turkish human rights activist was shot in the head after a press conference where he urged for the violence between PKK and Turkey to stop. A police officer was also killed according to AP.

It's unclear whether he, or the police, was the target

A few hours after he was killed the Turkish police used teargas and water cannons on protesters in Istanbul

They shouted "Tahir Elci is immortal"
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-28 17:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

That depends on how much of it you eat though but yeah it's not good to eat it.

The amount they hunt is about 0.1% of the population so it is sustainable but there's really no reason to do it anymore except for cultural reasons and that's not worth it.
Did you know that we Americans taught them commercial whale hunting after WWII?

Cultural reasons my ***.

Their "cultural" whale hunting is a lot like the Danish sport hunting you describe except they eat those.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 17:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

May have taught them better techniques for doing it but people have been living there for over a thousand years

They've hunted pilot whales since at least the 16th century

Quote:
Archaeological evidence from the early Norse settlement of the Faroe Islands c. 1200 years ago, in the form of pilot whale bones found in household remains in Gøta, indicates that the pilot whale has long had a central place in the everyday life of Faroe Islanders. Records of drive hunts in the Faroe Islands date back to 1584.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-28 17:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

By commercial I am talking minke whales off Antarctica.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 18:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's Norway and Iceland, not Faroe
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 20:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The shooter from yesterday

According to Washington Post he said "no more baby parts" when he was arrested
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-11-28 21:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The world has gone insane.

I get called a bigot and racist because I believe all of humanity is equal and that there are no "races" of people.
This is not an opinion.
This is a fact.
Even scientifically there is only one human race.
The Human race.
No divisions.

And this somehow makes me a racist bigot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-28 21:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't call the world insane because of an idiot
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-11-28 21:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't call the world insane because of an idiot
Actually it's been a lot of people I know that are against me on this.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-11-28 21:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The shooter from yesterday

According to Washington Post he said "no more baby parts" when he was arrested
Tough call.
Is it murder to kill a murderer to prevent them from being murdering baby murderers?
If I saw a murder in progress I would hope I would do all within my power to stop a person committing a murder.
Sugar coat it all you want.
Killing someone because they might hinder my ability to enjoy life = murder.
Rename humanity until it's unrecognisable, but it will not change the fact that unborn babies are still human.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-28 21:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not a tough call, its not even a conversation, whatever his pathetic motives were, he is guilty of first degree murder and will spend the rest of his life on death row.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1103 1104 1105 ... 1375 1376 1377