Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1008 1009 1010 ... 1375 1376 1377
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
By your own admission you say the laws you want will not prevent mass shootings. Then after you present the false choice of doing what you want or throwing our hands up and accepting mass shootings.

That is the definition of politicizing a tragedy to advance a different agenda.

First off... The kinds of laws I was talking about ALREADY exist, waiting periods, background checks, etc.

Second... Civil liberties and legislation are NECESSARILY political. You might as well say that Lincoln injected race into the slavery debate.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
accept that mass shootings are going to happen
Almost there.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Almost there.

Except they don't happen with anywhere near the frequency anywhere else in the world. Maybe there's a correlation between our obsession with and access to guns... Naw, that's not possible.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-03 21:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

By your own admission you say the laws you want will not prevent mass shootings. Then after you present the false choice of doing what you want or throwing our hands up and accepting mass shootings.

First off... The kinds of laws I was talking about ALREADY exist, waiting periods, background checks, etc.

Second... Civil liberties and legislation are NECESSARILY political. You might as well say that Lincoln injected race into the slavery debate.

Jassik compares himself to Abraham Lincoln.

a P&R first.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik compares himself to Abraham Lincoln.

a P&R first.

If that's what you got out of my post, you're trying way too hard to be clever.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-10-03 21:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, Abe.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost there.

Except they don't happen with anywhere near the frequency anywhere else in the world. Maybe there's a correlation between our obsession with and access to guns... Naw, that's not possible.

Even if there were, hell even if there were a causation, it's moot.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-03 21:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The only person in here that has even come close to offering a gun control solution that might actually happen is one who said we should just enforce the laws that we already have. Gun control advocates might actually gain ground if they focused on small steps based on reality. In the meantime, I don't mind watching insane, idealistic measures get, ahem, shot down.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have world peace to go solve by getting some of my buddies together, going to a crowded place, sitting in a circle, not showering for a while, and getting high.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse me while I prepare the water cannons. Damn hippies.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost there.

Even if there were, hell even if there were a causation, it's moot.

What's moot about it? Understanding any problem is the key to fixing it. If you're so adamant that guns aren't a key factor, you should welcome in-depth study. But, the way I understand it, you don't care if repealing the 2nd amendment would simultaneously cure cancer, end violence, reverse global warming, and feed everyone on earth forever, because guns are necessary to ensure civil liberties. It doesn't matter that dozens of countries have much more restrictive gun laws AND civil liberties.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

What's moot about it?

because guns are necessary to ensure civil liberties.

^

It doesn't matter that dozens of countries have much more restrictive gun laws AND civil liberties.
Lol, no, they don't*. The right to defend yourself is a basic civil liberty.

* obviously they have some, but they are lacking.

you don't care if repealing the 2nd amendment would simultaneously cure cancer, end violence, reverse global warming, and feed everyone on earth forever
You are right, I wouldn't. Good thing that it wouldn't either.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-03 21:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

On the other hand, we might actually solve our growing population problem if we had everyone who wishes that the U.S. were like Europe shipped to the European country of their choice.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
On the other hand, we might actually solve our growing population problem if we had everyone who wishes that the U.S. were like Europe shipped to the European country of their choice.

Deporting US citizens because they don't agree with you?

Lol, no, they don't*. The right to defend yourself is a basic civil liberty.

You can't defend yourself without a gun? You're making a case for taking guns away there, pal.

* obviously they have some, but they are lacking.

You don't seem to understand, most of those countries have MORE civil liberties than we do.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't defend yourself without a gun? You're making a case for taking guns away there, pal.

What kind of backwards *** logic is that?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

most of those countries have MORE civil liberties than we do.

Matter of opinion, as you don't consider the right to defend yourself a civil liberty.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Because they are traitors.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally we would never need weapons, however we don't live in an ideal world, and if history has proven anything we never will.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of backwards *** logic is that?

Inability to resolve conflict without a gun sounds like a pretty good reason why someone shouldn't have one.

Protecting yourself from what? The government? LOL Home invasion? Statistically more likely to shoot a pet or family member than intruder. Assailant? Same deal, more likely to be shot by your own gun.

Because they are traitors.

I suppose anyone who agreed with ending prohibition is a traitor...

You cannot discus this topic in a mature way, bye.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ermachko
Server: Cerberus
user: ermachko
By Cerberus.Ermachko 2015-10-03 21:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The constitution is the law of the land.
Focus on the mental health of the nation, get people off all the meds (they all were on them) in fact the most recent was only 25 miles from here. Banning guns won't do anything but create civil unrest and lead to A MASS load of casualties. I know if you can to "Procure" my firearms or any Oregonians You'd probably be shot and killed your first day out.
As our sheriff said "I won't send my deputies out to do such a thing, I'd have no deputies left after the first block."
Stop trying to blame an item for something that is human based. My AR sits next to me loaded cocked and ready to go. It's never once killed anyone.
If our founding fathers saw our nation now they would be disgusted. As am I.
What we need to do as a planet is abolish religion of any sort. as a wise man once said
"Being religious nowadays shows an evident lack of intelligence.And also a lack of balls to face reality."
No truer words have ever been spoken.
As a planet of what should be intelligent life most aren't. give up the crutch of lies holding you back and face reality. Yes death is scary, I understand that. But whats even scarier is hiding behind lies and a facade.
Let the hate slinging begin!~
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Inability to resolve conflict without a gun sounds like a pretty good reason why someone shouldn't have one.

You took one hell of a leap in logic there. There will always be those who are unable to be reasoned with and that's when the right to defend yourself comes into play. Try to not act so obtuse.

Protecting yourself from what? The government? LOL Home invasion? Statistically more likely to shoot a pet or family member than intruder. Assailant? Same deal, more likely to be shot by your own gun.
That's your opinion, sorry but you keep thinking that if you want to.

I suppose anyone who agreed with ending prohibition is a traitor...

You cannot discus this topic in a mature way, bye.

Anyone who attempts to violate the civil rights of other citizens by destroying the very fabric of the nation is a traitor.

I most certainly can and have, but nice vague insult there guy. Bye.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ermachko said: »
Stuff
You know people keep trying to say it isn't (insert year here) that we don't need guns in (insert more recent year here).

When the last I checked we need guns more than ever, especially with a very Unconstitutionally militarized police force abusing their power and violating the rights of citizens left and right.

This isn't even a party issue, both major parties are very guilty at the fascist ***.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-03 21:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured that you would be able to recognize my humor by now. But seriously, if someone is going to spend their whole life complaining about how X country is better than ours, shut up and go live there.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 21:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

X country
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things the US could do to improve itself. Further infringing on the rights of it's citizens is not one of them.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ermachko
Server: Cerberus
user: ermachko
By Cerberus.Ermachko 2015-10-03 21:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Correct both parties, the U.N. the list goes on.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-03 21:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

X country
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things the US could do to improve itself. Further infringing on the rights of it's citizens is not one of them.

Absolutely. And I'm not saying that we should never borrow ideas from other countries, but certainly not at the expense of our basic constitutional rights. We're different from other countries because of those very rights and a lot of us are proud of that. If you can't handle it, leave. If you're already in a different country, focus on your own problems.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-03 21:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured that you would be able to recognize my humor by now. But seriously, if someone is going to spend their whole life complaining about how X country is better than ours, shut up and go live there.

I don't necessarily disagree. I love America, I love living here, and there's nowhere else I'd rather live. But, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of countries out there that do a lot of things way better than we do. I would think wanting to make America better is true patriotism.

Quote:
We're different from other countries because of those very rights

200 years ago that was true, but today, basically every western nation has the same rights we do. Freedom of speech/religion/due process/etc. Those aren't even remotely unique to America. Times change, things that were needed no longer are. 150 years ago, a horse was one of the most important possessions for survival west of the Mississippi, obviously it's not anymore. The founding fathers knew the world would change, they designed a mechanism to update our Constitution, and it's been done almost 20 times. There's no reason that any amendment, even within the bill or rights, should be immune from analysis.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-03 22:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

even within the bill or rights
Matter of a disagreement.

But only on the point that it should be increased, not reduced, otherwise complete disagreement.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-10-03 22:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

But seriously, if someone is going to spend their whole life complaining about how X country is better than ours, shut up and go live there.
Japan is better than the US, and I lived there. I would give anything to live there again, this time in a permanent status.

However, since I don't know Japanese as well as I would like, and I don't feel like teaching English, and I'm not a federal contractor or federal employee (trust me, I looked at how to become a federal contractor, nearly all positions require you to have some sort of military background, and I'm not going to join the army so I can apply to do taxes for people living on bases in Japan...), I can't go live there.

I would have to be a permament student in order to live there, and even then, I would be required to go back to the US 4 out of every 5 years (student visas only allow you to stay for a year and you cannot come back on the same visa, have to get another one in 5 years, again, I looked).

While it may be easier to go live in a piss poor country like anywhere in Europe (except Germany), I rather put my efforts in a country that's more civilized than the whole region put together (including Germany).
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-03 22:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you ever been to Europe?
First Page 2 3 ... 1008 1009 1010 ... 1375 1376 1377