Syria To Hold Presidential Election In June

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Syria to Hold Presidential Election in June
Syria to Hold Presidential Election in June
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-23 12:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Time for some news from the Middle East.

Quote:
Parliament Speaker Mohammed Laham said candidates seeking to run for president may register their candidacy from Tuesday, April 22 until May 1.

"I call on the citizens of the Syrian Arab republic, inside and outside (the country) to exercise their right in electing a president," Laham said from parliament in comments broadcast live on state-run television.

Syrians living outside of the country may start voting earlier, from May 28, Laham said. It was not clear whether he meant that to include more than 2.5 million refugees in neighboring states — an unlikely scenario due to logistical and political considerations.

Assad has not publicly said whether he would run, but in recent months he appeared to be in campaign mode, visiting areas recently retaken by his forces. State media have broadcast images of seemingly ecstatic residents welcoming the president during such trips.
Source

According to Reuters one person has officially been nominated so far:
Quote:
State media said Maher Abdel-Hafiz Hajjar - a member of the government-sanctioned opposition, as opposed to Western-backed opposition politicians in exile or the armed rebels Assad denounces as "terrorists" - had nominated himself. He is unlikely to pose a real challenge to Assad.

The Supreme Constitutional Court is accepting nominations until May 1.

"Anyone who meets the conditions and submits a request for nomination to this court, we will accept this request and register it," court spokesman Majid Khadra said.

Hajjar, formerly a member of the Communist Party, won a parliamentary seat for the northern city of Aleppo in 2012 under the Popular Front for Change and Liberation list, SANA said.
Source

No other candidates have been officially nominated thus far.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-23 12:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll nominate Putin, he seems to be doing a swell job running the country in place of Assad.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-23 12:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I'll nominate Putin, he seems to be doing a swell job running the country in place of Assad.

Hopefully they will have removed all the chemical weapons very soon.

Quote:
With its latest deadline days away, Syria is close to eliminating its stockpile of chemical weapons, monitors said Tuesday, an improbable accomplishment in the midst of civil war that is likely to diminish further the possibility of international intervention.

After a slow start that prompted U.S. accusations of stalling, the government of President Bashar Assad has shipped almost 90% of its chemical weapons materials out of the country, raising hope that it can finish the job by Sunday.
Source
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hinamori
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-23 12:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What....is the capital of Syria?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-23 12:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Haubergeon!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-23 12:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's where the second crusade came to an end.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-23 13:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Hopefully they will have removed all the chemical weapons very soon.

Quote:
With its latest deadline days away, Syria is close to eliminating its stockpile of chemical weapons, monitors said Tuesday, an improbable accomplishment in the midst of civil war that is likely to diminish further the possibility of international intervention.

After a slow start that prompted U.S. accusations of stalling, the government of President Bashar Assad has shipped almost 90% of its chemical weapons materials out of the country, raising hope that it can finish the job by Sunday.
Source
What I like is how these are all known chemical weapons.

In case people forgot, Assad for the longest time was denying the weapons existed in the first place. It wasn't until Putin came over and told him to admit it that he...well....admitted it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-23 13:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I am concerned how a legitimate election, if any election, can happen with a country in open rebellion/"civil war".
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-23 15:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skulloneix said: »
I am concerned how a legitimate election, if any election, can happen with a country in open rebellion/"civil war".
How legitimate is any election really? Even in the U.S. people vote without knowing what they are really voting for.

Presidential elections, governor elections, and local elections are all about popularity more than anything else.

I've rarely seen anybody actually research the candidates they are voting for until after they get elected.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2014-04-23 16:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Skulloneix said: »
How legitimate is any election really? Even in the U.S. people vote without knowing what they are really voting for.

Presidential elections, governor elections, and local elections are all about popularity more than anything else.

I've rarely seen anybody actually research the candidates they are voting for until after they get elected.
Yes but even more so, how could a fair election go on during the conflict? Rather him use some emergency powers or *** to forgo elections until unrest is done with than for them to have a farce of a fair election and to tote that in the faces of others, to try to legitimize and entrench himself in power even more.

No other candidates have been officially nominated thus far.
Well seems like my rise to power has to start somewhere, I will go look up qualifications and nominate myself if I can.

Edit, Wiki tells me:
Quote:
Eligibility

The Constitution of Syria allows the President to run for a 7-year term, which can be renewed once as of the 2012 constitution. The conditions required to be candidate at the presidential election are the following:

A candidate must be Muslim
A candidate must have the support of no less than 35 members of the parliament
A candidate must be 34 years old or older
A candidate must have lived in Syria for 10 years before the election
A candidate must be Syrian by birth, of parents who are Syrians by birth
A candidate must not be married to a non-Syrian spouse
Well I could arrange the two not stricken out...sigh...there goes that plan...
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [42 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-04 15:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has won a landslide victory in presidential poll securing 88.7 percent of the vote, parliament speaker Mohammad al-Laham has said.

The victory gives Assad a third term in office despite a raging civil war which grew out of protests against his rule.

The head of the Supreme Constitutional Court said on Wednesday that the turnout in the country's presidential election this week was 73.42 percent.

Majed Khadra said that 11,634,412 out of a total of 15,845,575 eligible voters cast their ballots in Tuesday's polls.

The election was held only in government-held areas, excluding vast chunks of northern and eastern Syria that are under rebel control.

The opposition and its allies have denounced the election as a farce.

For the first time in decades, there were multiple candidates on the ballot. In previous presidential elections, Assad and before him his father, Hafez, were elected in single candidate referendums in which voters cast yes-no ballots.
Source
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-06-04 15:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I guess that means they can keep killing each other.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-04 15:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of Obama's idea of firing off missiles randomly throughout the country?

Oh wait it's U.S. money that funded this civil war to begin with.