Is It Time To Remove Under God From The Pledge?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-23 12:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure Captain America did a better job of indoctrinating me to America: *** Yeah than the pledge of allegiance.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hinamori
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-23 12:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer the theme of Team America be indoctrinated, at least then it'd be exciting.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-23 12:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
It one thing to recognize actual indoctrination and another to try real hard and squeeze something into a very basic definition and pass it off as such.
Having almost the entire juvenile population of a country exposed almost daily to an idea without criticism or evalution is most definitely NOT indoctrination. No sir-ee, nothing to see here.
Oh yeah... I wouldn't know I'm just some indoctrinated fool who thinks god rules america and we live on a lump of togetherness where our overlords feed us things and we do what they tell us! And remember thinking is punishable by death!

Peddle your agenda somewhere else lol...
In some form or fashion and to a certain degree we are all indoctrinated. Both intentionally, and as a side effect of simply being alive. It is the very nature of humans and an effect of our brain developing under the need of social constraints.

As much as we all would like to think that we analyze everything that we perceive for it's context and values, we don't, much of it slips through and you, me and everyone else has artifacts of this in our behaviors and our thoughts. While it is certainly something we want to work slowly away from, I don't know if it'll ever be possible to remove it completely.

Words are powerful things and they can affect us deeply, some more than others and perhaps not always in the intended manner but they certainly do.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-23 12:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we not say things that sounds mind blowing only to a 12 year old, please.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 12:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Flav you're not making sense.

Explain how the pledge isn't indoctrination, subtle or otherwise. It's a paragraph of words children are encouraged to repeat for years on end with no follow up lesson including a verbal pact between you and this country, God and about standards you don't learn in school until at least middle/high school.

I was doing the PoA as far back as the 1st grade and I'm damn sure I had no idea what the fk was going on other than being forced to put my hand on my heart and repeat some words while standing. It's an exercise in blind nationalism and unit cohesion. Most children discard it because they don't understand what they're saying, don't care and the entire procedure is a holdover.

I'm not discussing the effectiveness of the pledge, simply its existence and purpose.
It's existance came into being to reignite some form of patriotism. It's purpose was not to blindly indoctrinate children into never questioning their government.

My problem with this whole discussion as well has to do with the focus only on small children as if this is the only place it is recited and theonly people it is for. Not only that, but even in the schools they make you say it in it's not like half the kids even take the time to memorize the few words that make up the pledge let alone memorize or affect them.

The pledge is recited before meetings of congress as well as other governmental functions. This was not something created to indoctrinate children nor does it have that effect.

As a few others have already addressed as well this didn't even start out with the under god in it soooooo the original intention was not to associate the two and others addressed why it was put in there.

People get angry because they don't like something then twist it to fit their agenda or world view.

tldr: it's about patriotism, not indoctrination or god ruling the seventh plane.

edit: Also, most people decrying the pledge wouldn't even give one ***if it didn't have the word god in it. You take that out ad there's no longer an issue for 99% of the people that have a problem with it. Indoctrination because god.
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-23 12:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like for this thread to just die, heck I'd like for any religion-based thread to just curl up and die. They serve no purpose save for people wanting to downtalk religion.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 12:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
It one thing to recognize actual indoctrination and another to try real hard and squeeze something into a very basic definition and pass it off as such.
Having almost the entire juvenile population of a country exposed almost daily to an idea without criticism or evalution is most definitely NOT indoctrination. No sir-ee, nothing to see here.
Oh yeah... I wouldn't know I'm just some indoctrinated fool who thinks god rules america and we live on a lump of togetherness where our overlords feed us things and we do what they tell us! And remember thinking is punishable by death!

Peddle your agenda somewhere else lol...
In some form or fashion and to a certain degree we are all indoctrinated. Both intentionally, and as a side effect of simply being alive. It is the very nature of humans and an effect of our brain developing under the need of social constraints.

As much as we all would like to think that we analyze everything that we perceive for it's context and values, we don't, much of it slips through and you, me and everyone else has artifacts of this in our behaviors and our thoughts. While it is certainly something we want to work slowly away from, I don't know if it'll ever be possible to remove it completely.

Words are powerful things and they can affect us deeply, some more than others and perhaps not always in the intended manner but they certainly do.
So indoctrination is just a part of life then?

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-23 12:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
Ragnarok.Tatsiki said: »
I'd like for this thread to just die, heck I'd like for any religion-based thread to just curl up and die. They serve no purpose save for people wanting to downtalk religion.
Being plain dismissive like that is part of the problem, have to keep an open mind if everyone else is expected to. Which is the goal of christianity - to save the souls of others and share love.
I think the point is that when people start threads like this (especially coming from a certain Garuda resident), it usually is to demonize or ridicule religion.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-23 12:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's existance came into being to reignite some form of patriotism. It's purpose was not to blindly indoctrinate children into never questioning their government.
First sentence describes textbook indoctrination. Literally: to bring into line with a doctrine. It's right there in a the roots.

Second sentence is NOT what is being argued. Dolt.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tatsiki
By Ragnarok.Tatsiki 2014-04-23 12:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Being plain dismissive like that is part of the problem, have to keep an open mind if everyone else is expected to. Which is the goal of christianity - to save the souls of others and share love.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I think the point is that when people start threads like this (especially coming from a certain Garuda resident), it usually is to demonize or ridicule religion.

Pretty much this, whenever someone asks me if I am a Christian, the first thing they'll do is talk down at me. Then I come onto a forum I -think- is for gaming, yet all I see is stuff aimed at demonizing Christians, yeah it's starting to work my nerves when I try to defend them and yet someone ALWAYS has to butt in and call me an idiot or something. I can't prove God exists, it's called -faith-. The person practicing the religion is the one believing, oh well if someone else doesn't believe, don't go out of your way to make a religious person look stupid just because they don't have the ability to prove something -they- believe and not you, because they can't and it's only making the person attacking the religious person look like a pompous ***...
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-23 12:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Thousands of children pledging in North Korea in one large cermony: indoctrination

USSR children pledging at young pioneers meetings: indoctrination

USA children pledging everyday in class: not indoctrination
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-23 12:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
It wasn't intended to be mind blowing, just true.

Yes, but that doesn't mean we should just accept any attempts at it. We need our children to question things and think critically and perhaps we need to add some basic psychology to our curriculum to make sure they understand how the brain works.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-23 12:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun fact: North Korea is the only existing Necrocracy in the world, in that it's current acting president is actually a man dead since 1994.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-23 13:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Kim Il Sung did not die. The dear leader became part of the lifestream and now controls all while existing as pure energy.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 13:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

When did I say that any of those were indoctrination? Please tell me.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-23 13:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Kim Il Sung did not die. The dear leader became part of the lifestream and now controls all while existing as pure energy.
I wonder if you could summon him if enough of his essence were captured into crystallized form.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-23 13:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I wonder if you could summon him if enough of his essence were captured into crystallized form.

I'm pretty sure N.Korea has an entire science division dedicated to answering that question.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 13:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
It wasn't intended to be mind blowing, just true.

Yes, but that doesn't mean we should just accept any attempts at it. We need our children to question things and think critically and perhaps we need to add some basic psychology to our curriculum to make sure they understand how the brain works.
And you don't think this already happens? People just mindlessly recite it and require their children to recite it and we all become pleasant little sheep herded by god and nation?

When did I ever propose that we mindlessly follow?

Is the NSA or some other alphabet soup agency out there making sure that no one tells any children not to question these words? To make sure that parents don't make a peep and let them know they don't have to follow this? Do they force them to say it constantly until it is so ingrained in their memory that nothing else could even make its way in? Is it a crime to speak out against it?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-23 13:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You have to say his name backwards 100 times (Gnus Li Mik) in front of a stained glass mirror in a democratic Korea first.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-23 13:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Did I respond to you specifically?

In the US news/historians those are listed as indictrination activities.

Edit: but do you consider them indoctrination activities?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-23 13:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

I'm pretty sure N.Korea has an entire science division dedicated to answering that question.
probably.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 13:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

I do not consider reciting a pledge indoctrination. No.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-23 13:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only indoctrination if you don't like it. Don't forget.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 14:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

All these years and the sporting events I've attended where they've sung the national anthem before the game... They've just been taking advantage of my love of sporting events to indoctrinate me! I feel so used!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-23 14:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the NSA or some other alphabet soup agency out there making sure that no one tells any children not to question these words? To make sure that parents don't make a peep and let them know they don't have to follow this? Do they force them to say it constantly until it is so ingrained in their memory that nothing else could even make its way in? Is it a crime to speak out against it?

I'll ask my kids if they even still do it, what they think about it, & if any ski-masked thugs in black garb have knocked them over the head for mumbling the last line or two.

we shall see!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-23 14:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

All these years and the sporting events I've attended where they've sung the national anthem before the game... They've just been taking advantage of my love of sporting events to indoctrinate me! I feel so used!

I don't know about indoctrination but I could certainly use without listening to it every time I go to a game, having some 8-16 year old kid poorly draw out every note in a bad song while the rednecks hoot and hollar.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 14:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »

I don't know about indoctrination but I could certainly use without listening to it every time I go to a game, having some 8-16 year old kid poorly draw out every note in a bad song while the rednecks hoot and hollar.
That's what I thought at first but since they sing it before every game here that must be the conclusion... We should billy club the guy that doesn't take his hat off or raise hi hand to his heart... and omg... if he deosn't stand up?!?!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-23 14:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That just means you're already indoctrinated.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12