Colorado Deaths Stoke Worries About Pot Edibles

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-19 10:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

DENVER (AP) — A college student eats more than the recommended dose of a marijuana-laced cookie and jumps to his death from a hotel balcony. A husband with no history of violence is accused of shooting his wife in the head, possibly after eating pot-infused candy.

The two recent deaths have stoked concerns about Colorado's recreational marijuana industry and the effects of the drug, especially since cookies, candy and other pot edibles can be exponentially more potent than a joint.

"We're seeing hallucinations, they become sick to their stomachs, they throw up, they become dizzy and very anxious," said Al Bronstein, medical director of the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center.

Twenty-six people have reported poisonings from marijuana edibles this year, when the center started tracking such exposures. Six were children who swallowed innocent-looking edibles, most of which were in plain sight.

Five of those kids were sent to emergency rooms, and two to hospitals for intensive care, Bronstein said. Children were nauseous and sleepy, and doctors worried about their respiratory systems shutting down.

Supporters of the pot law and some experts counter that alcohol causes far more problems among users, and the issues with pot can be largely addressed through better regulations.

The deaths occurred as Colorado lawmakers are scrambling to create safety regulations for the largely unmonitored marijuana snacks. On Thursday, the Legislature advanced a package of bills that would lower the amount of THC that could be permitted in a serving of food and require more extensive warning labels.

"It really is time for regulators, and the industry, to look at how do we move forward more responsibly with edible products," said Brian Vicente, who helped lead the state's legalization campaign.

Authorities have not formally linked the shooting death of Kristine Kirk, 44, to consumption of marijuana by her husband. However, in the case of 19-year-old Wyoming college student Levy Thamba Pongi, an autopsy report listed marijuana intoxication as a significant contributing factor in his death.

Studies are mixed about whether there is any link between marijuana and violence. Still, pot legalization opponents said the deaths are a sign of future dangers.

"Sadly, we're going to start to understand over time all of the damage and all of the problems associated with marijuana," said Thornton police Sgt. Jim Gerhardt, speaking in his capacity as a board member of the Colorado Drug Investigators Association.

"It's going to dispel the myth that there's no downside, that there's no side effect, to this drug," he said. "It's sad that people are going to have to be convinced with the blood of Coloradans."

Authorities said Pongi, who traveled to Denver with friends to try marijuana, ate six times more than the amount recommended by a seller. In the moments before his death, he spoke erratically and threw things around his hotel room.

Toxicologists later found that the cookie Pongi ate contained as much THC — marijuana's intoxicating chemical — as six high-quality joints.

Less is known about Richard Kirk, 47, who was charged in Denver with shooting his wife to death while she was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. Police said she reported that her husband had consumed marijuana-laced candy, but no information has been released about potency.

The public defender's office has declined comment on the allegations against Kirk.

State lawmakers last year required edible pot to be sold in "serving sizes" of 10 milligrams of THC. Lawmakers also charged marijuana regulators with setting potency-testing guidelines to ensure consumers know how much pot they're eating. The guidelines are slated to be unveiled next month.

For now, the industry is trying to educate consumers about the strength of pot-infused foods and warning them to wait up to an hour to feel any effects before eating more. Still, complaints from visitors and first-time users have been rampant.

"One of the problems is people become very impatient," Bronstein said. "They eat a brownie or a chocolate chip cookie and they get no effect, so then they stack the doses and all the sudden they get an extreme effect that they weren't expecting."

Last year, the poison center run by Bronstein received 126 calls concerning adverse reactions to marijuana. So far this year — after pot sales became legal on Jan. 1 — the center has gotten 65 calls. Bronstein attributed the spike to the higher concentrations of THC in marijuana that has become available.

Although millions of Americans have used pot without becoming violent, Bronstein said such behavior is possible depending on the type of hallucinations a user experiences. Toxicologists say genetic makeup, health issues and other factors also can make a difference.

"With these products, everybody is inexperienced," Bronstein said. "It's the first time people have been able to buy it in a store. People need to be respectful of these products."

Source
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-19 10:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Has the whole world gone CRAZY?!?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-19 10:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
The answer to this question, and more, coming up at 11.
 Quetzalcoatl.Lishje
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Lishje
By Quetzalcoatl.Lishje 2014-04-19 11:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dumb people doing dumb ****.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-19 11:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Neocon conspiracy I tells you.

By fonewear 2014-04-19 11:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2014-04-19 11:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Warning: pot heads are closer than they appear.
By fonewear 2014-04-19 11:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This is not Nam, this is bowling, there are rules.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-19 11:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The funny thing is ... cannabis doesn't give you hallucinations. That's an entirely different type of substance. Most likely they are dealing with product contamination, something else mixed with the THC additive. THC makes you really slow, you can't get frantic or twitchy under it's effects, you don't "suddenly" do anything lol.
By wormfeeder 2014-04-19 12:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

typical reporting.
I suppose they didn't bother asking about any other drugs or medications they were taking, which I am sure there was a presence of.
By wormfeeder 2014-04-19 12:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

also not blaming a persons stupidity on their death is typical
By Jetackuu 2014-04-19 12:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Neocon conspiracy I tells you.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-19 12:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I've eaten to much weed brownies before and I got the spins like I was drunk except with motor skills mostly intact still and my inhibitions and mental/emotional state still intact, unlike alcohol which has the opposite effect on me and makes me lose all/most control over inhibitions and mental/emotional state of mind. I think this spazz was just gonna spazz some day regardless of pot brownies.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-19 12:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Once upon a time I was so high, I passed out and woke up the next morning. Turns out I went to 'bed' at 7pm. Oh the horror!
[+]
 Bismarck.Sorce
user: sorce
By Bismarck.Sorce 2014-04-20 00:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
The funny thing is ... cannabis doesn't give you hallucinations. That's an entirely different type of substance. Most likely they are dealing with product contamination, something else mixed with the THC additive. THC makes you really slow, you can't get frantic or twitchy under it's effects, you don't "suddenly" do anything lol.

Um bro THC is a mild hallucinogen, you should prolly get your facts straight before making false claims. in order to get to this state u have to smoke about an ounce in less then an hour, but through edibles u can obtain this in 1-2 "snacks" im not sure who told u otherwise or if your just making an assumption but the plant Cannabis Sativa, which is what Marijuana is produced from is very much a hallucinogen just like LSD or "shrooms" are. Again u should check your sources before providing false statements that make no sense what so ever.

EDIT: a little more expansion on the statements weed has an adverse effect on your short-term memory, thats it, it might make u slow but in MOST cases it enhances ones ability to finish the task at hand. For example when i used to smoke i would get more into my work or anything that i was doing, as do MOST of the other people that i talk to that currently smoke. i will discourage large intakes of the drug THC because it can potently kill u in very very large doses or cause u to have hallucinations and kill others or something stupid, but so will alcohol caffeine nicotine and or any other drug that on or off the market in today's society.... hell walking down the street can kill u faster then pot will.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 00:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a challenge. We used to do 'gram rippers', where we would try to smoke a gram in under a minute with a 3 foot bong. But an ounce in less than an hour... wish I had the money to take on that challenge.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sorce
By Bismarck.Sorce 2014-04-20 00:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i would not recommend it u could kill yourself from smoke inhalation before u start tripping
 Bismarck.Sorce
By Bismarck.Sorce 2014-04-20 00:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The big thing about the deaths from these edibles is there's no regulation on the amount of THC they can put in these snacks, so the more and more cases of this crap happening then the more it will be closely monitored and regulated. Which needs to happen immedietly, because the ppl that actually use marijuana for natural remedies/medicines arent gonna be able to because of idiots that consume 1000MG of THC in 1 sitting..... oh i cant feel it i better eat another....

THC hits the bloodstream in a matter of minutes when its smoked, it takes nearly 20 minutes when orally ingested and idiots like this husband shooting his wife prolly ate like 5 high potent snacks.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 00:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sorce said: »
i would not recommend it u could kill yourself from smoke inhalation before u start tripping
Probably.

Bismarck.Sorce said: »
The big thing about the deaths from these edibles is there's no regulation on the amount of THC they can put in these snacks, so the more and more cases of this crap happening then the more it will be closely monitored and regulated. Which needs to happen immedietly, because the ppl that actually use marijuana for natural remedies/medicines arent gonna be able to because of idiots that consume 1000MG of THC in 1 sitting..... oh i cant feel it i better eat another....

THC hits the bloodstream in a matter of minutes when its smoked, it takes nearly 20 minutes when orally ingested and idiots like this husband shooting his wife prolly ate like 5 high potent snacks.
I'm all for the natural grown plant, not the extract, and especially in foods. That's just asking for trouble. However, some people do want the THC for medical reason in a non-smokable form, ie edibles. Unfortunately you are right in regards to there needing to be regulation of the extracts in any form.

It should be schedule II, I think.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-20 00:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It pretty much comes down to people not realizing that although marijuana might be relatively safe and legal in some areas, that doesn't mean that all caution and moderation should be abandoned. "Safe" drugs kill people all the time due to overdose and/or incompatibility with the user's system. "This bag of pot brownies didn't get me high, I'm gonna eat 5 more" just might be as stupid as saying "Those 4 extra strength Tylenol didn't cure my headache, I'm gonna take 20 more."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-20 05:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

THC does not make you hallucinate, it's a psychoactive drug due to it's mind altering effects but you don't see pink elephants running around the room. The medical term Hallucinogen is applied to any substance that cause's a different experience then ordinary conscious. You don't have hallucinations while under the effect of THC vs something like LSD or shrooms which cause's your subconscious to actively intrude your conscious. At really high levels it can screw with your vision / hearing and you will experience time distortion and reliving long term memories. You'll be sitting there remembering sh!t from a long time ago but you wont' be moving around and experiencing it in real time like you would on a bad LSD trip or shrooms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen

Quote:
Hallucinogens are a general group of pharmacological agents that can be divided into three broad categories: psychedelics, dissociatives, and deliriants. These classes of psychoactive drugs have in common that they can cause subjective changes in perception, thought, emotion and consciousness. Unlike other psychoactive drugs, such as stimulants and opioids, these drugs do not merely amplify familiar states of mind, but rather induce experiences that are qualitatively different from those of ordinary consciousness. These experiences are often compared to non-ordinary forms of consciousness such as trance, meditation, dreams, or insanity.

That's why I know it's a mixture problem, those quoted affects are common for custom mix's. You know, when some idiot think it's a good idea to mix multiple kinds of drugs or substances together.

The toxicology of THC is well documented, it's pretty much impossible to die from it. You'd have to be hooked to an IV injecting THC dissolved in saline in order for it to kill you. Eating a ton of THC products would just make you go zombie and sit there staring and occasionally saying weird stupid sh!t, unless something else got added or you did some other drug. Eat too much and you'll just vomit it back up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabinol

As for using it as an additive, that needs to be carefully regulated. Extra "stuff" can end up inside the mix and side reactions an alter the effects of the final product. THC itself is very safe and incredibly hard to harm yourself on it, it doesn't induce mania or cause depression, you just turn into a zombie and become stupid. It's a lot like nicotine in that respect.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 07:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
As for using it as an additive, that needs to be carefully regulated. Extra "stuff" can end up inside the mix and side reactions an alter the effects of the final product. THC itself is very safe and incredibly hard to harm yourself on it, it doesn't induce mania or cause depression, you just turn into a zombie and become stupid. It's a lot like nicotine in that respect.
I totally agree with you on this point.
 Asura.Originalkord
Server: Asura
user: rocs42
By Asura.Originalkord 2014-04-20 07:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

"Authorities have not formally linked the shooting death of Kristine Kirk, 44, to consumption of marijuana by her husband. However, in the case of 19-year-old Wyoming college student Levy Thamba Pongi, an autopsy report listed marijuana intoxication as a significant contributing factor in his death."

No one ever did anything harmful to themselves or others BEFORE marijuana became legal in Colorado--I think thats the point they're trying to get across.

Anyway, reduction of THC per edible product sounds like a smart thing to do. It's potent stuff, as people before me have mentioned. No one really loses with a little bit of regulation. In fact, they could charge the same price for using LESS of their main ingredient...and the uninformed, irresponsible people aren't ruining it for the rest of the country!
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-04-20 07:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

the world has already gone crazy just look at goverment and anything they run
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 08:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It pretty much comes down to people not realizing that although marijuana might be relatively safe and legal in some areas, that doesn't mean that all caution and moderation should be abandoned. "Safe" drugs kill people all the time due to overdose and/or incompatibility with the user's system. "This bag of pot brownies didn't get me high, I'm gonna eat 5 more" just might be as stupid as saying "Those 4 extra strength Tylenol didn't cure my headache, I'm gonna take 20 more."
I have had to sit down and lecture a friend of mine on several occasions about caffeine for this very reason, and that's a drug we don't even regulate around children.

Maybe we should have a drug license, not unlike a driver's license. Prove you have adequate knowledge of the substances you want access to (which, yes, would including alcohol and nicotine and caffeine) and then we'll let you loose... to ignore all that knowledge and cause problems regardless. Ye gods, people are stupid.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 08:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Originalkord said: »
No one ever did anything harmful to themselves or others BEFORE marijuana became legal in Colorado--I think thats the point they're trying to get across.
Patently wrong. They have done less harm than alcoholics (not least due to availability and legality -- exactly what CO is facing right now), but marijuana has a long history of violence that users convenient forget.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-20 09:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm willing to be more people die from accidental iron poisoning by eating too many flintstones vitamins. Just stick a barely-legible warning label on it and be done with it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-20 09:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Asura.Originalkord said: »
Patently wrong. They have done less harm than alcoholics (not least due to availability and legality -- exactly what CO is facing right now), but marijuana has a long history of violence that users convenient forget.
Any examples that come to mind? I am genuinely curious on this claim. Not that I doubt it, but just wondering what specific incidents you are thinking of.
By Caliber 2014-04-20 09:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

my brother died after shooting up 3 marijuanas with a dirty needle, do not partake of the devils weed
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-20 10:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Any examples that come to mind? I am genuinely curious on this claim. Not that I doubt it, but just wondering what specific incidents you are thinking of.
Etymology of the word "assassin": "hashish-user," referring to a radical group of Ismaili Muslims who got high on hashish before executing rivals. Cold-blooded killers don't need a heavy dose of intoxicants to do their job.

I won't say the hash drove them to do it, but alcohol never drives anyone to do anything, either, in spite of being definitively linked to thousands and thousands of murders, rapes, and stolen traffic cones.

Since it is a mild depressant, it won't have the track record that a stimulant (e.g., cocaine) has and since it is illegal it neither has the widespread penetration nor the high probability of being reported to police that attends alcohol (another depressant), but the notion that no harm has ever come from a psychoactive of any kind is utterly ridiculous. If absolutely nothing else, there are car accidents and fatalities that were caused by marijuana use as it depresses reaction speed and attentiveness.
First Page 2 3