Is Religion Causing Unequal Pay Among Women?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is religion causing unequal pay among women?
Is religion causing unequal pay among women?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-17 13:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
The real problem with trying to address this stuff is that a lot of it is not necessarily bad, but generally taken to extremes. Like, say, completely losing your ***in a game of Plants vs. Zombies: Penny Arcade - Incongruity.
But that's an individual's issue, not necessary society or man vs. women or anything like that.

Some people are competitive, it has nothing to do with sex of the person either. My ex was very competitive and would *** me out if she lost...then said that tactic was just mind games so she can win next time...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 13:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It's about power structure. The rejected gaming culture attempts to reconstruct a society only with themselves on top of the pile with subsequent 'undesirables' they can now terrorize. Everyone does it yet it is important to understand what you're doing. I think bronies are an insane pack of bizarre zealots and the cult of CoD to be a pack of wannabe alphas in sheep's clothing but whatever.

I leave others to their own pursuits. Freedom ***.

You could say the same thing of blacks, jews and pretty much any oppressed society in the history of humanity. It is a cycle born of ignorance and hypocrisy. In turn it's why I see religion as so poisonous to society as it teaches you to embrace the irrational stupidity that comes with conflicting emotions rather than relying on reason and critical thinking - which may be more difficult - but ultimately far wind up far more rewarding.

Perhaps the problem isn't with others but with yourself. Perhaps you had it wrong about others. Perhaps you could learn from your failings.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-17 13:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The real problem with trying to address this stuff is that a lot of it is not necessarily bad, but generally taken to extremes. Like, say, completely losing your ***in a game of Plants vs. Zombies: Penny Arcade - Incongruity.
But that's an individual's issue, not necessary society or man vs. women or anything like that. Some people are competitive, it has nothing to do with sex of the person either. My ex was very competitive and would *** me out if she lost...then said that tactic was just mind games so she can win next time...

Did it work?

I have a niece that's not quite 5, but she's already a master at manipulating people with emotions (myself included). Except her mother and her aunt (my wife), who are immune, as it must be a female family trait.

I encourage it, frankly. Let her get all the edge she can in the world. It's a battle out here.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 13:24:22
Link | Quote | Reply

But that's an individual's issue, not necessary society or man vs. women or anything like that.

Some people are competitive, it has nothing to do with sex of the person either. My ex was very competitive and would *** me out if she lost...then said that tactic was just mind games so she can win next time...
Good point, though your ex sort of exemplifies what I mean. Competitiveness in and of itself isn't bad, nor is it uniquely masculine, but our cultural programming definitely emphasizes all-for-me competitiveness in our boys. Team sports do a little bit to scale that back, but there's a reason "everyone" wants to be the quarterback or point guard and it rarely is because everyone is suited to that position.

On the other side of things, I find it interesting that the glory-obsessed idiots never want to play the critical roles of tank or healer in MMOs. In gamers, there's an odd disconnect between wanting the glory but not wanting to work for it. At least most athletes recognize the value of the latter.

Although... quite a lot of women I've met seem to fall into the same trap as gamers.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 13:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

In my time as an HNMLS leader I let the environment sweep me up in a deluge of dickery and subsequent ragefits. I was known for cursing like a drunken sailor at events pretty often but that was more due to obsessing than my personality. How a game can turn a pretty chill introvert into the face of MMO anonymous i'll never know.

Competition bordering on obsession is different than the gender roles we try to employ though. My HNMLS leader was a woman and you wouldn't want to see her when she got mad. Oh boy...

Ever been cursed out by an angry Scottish woman and her BF on vent? Who knew Sandworm could bring the worst out in people. I'll skullfuck you with the DKP roster if you don't stop bitching to me about another lost claim you dumb ***. All in good fun though, I learned alot about myself and what type of person I want to be.

Protip: It's not the dude calling people *** for wiping to Sky trig NMs.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-17 13:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Did it work?
Sometimes. What really worked was when she threatened no "sexy time" unless she won. That was towards the end of our relationship though.

I have a niece that's not quite 5, but she's already a master at manipulating people with emotions (myself included). Except her mother and her aunt (my wife), who are immune, as it must be a female family trait.
My niece does that too. It doesn't work with my family though, cause my sister made us immune to it over the years.

Good point, though your ex sort of exemplifies what I mean. Competitiveness in and of itself isn't bad, nor is it uniquely masculine, but our cultural programming definitely emphasizes all-for-me competitiveness in our boys. Team sports do a little bit to scale that back, but there's a reason "everyone" wants to be the quarterback or point guard and it rarely is because everyone is suited to that position.
True, but I think it has more to do with our society's stance of individuality vs group oriented social structures than anything else.

I mean, we reward individuality more (US President, Speaker of the House, Richest Man in the world, MVP in XXX sport, Gold Medal winner in XXX sport, and so on) than we do with team effort. In some cases we demonize team effort (Walmart did not become what it became just on Sam Walton's work alone, but it did get demonized for the corporate structure).
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-17 13:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
the glory-obsessed idiots never want to play the critical roles of tank

You've never been on Seraph/Bismarck I take it? Everyone and their mother wants to be paladin and the vast majority of them are terrible. And they're all out there to this day competing for colorless souls.

Quote:
Ever been cursed out by an angry Scottish woman and her BF on vent?

You had me until the bolded part. I mean, I've been with my wife for a long time and want for nothing, but I'm a sucker for an accent and I'll listen to her curse all night. Hell, read me a phone book. I don't care.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 13:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

All of those rewarded titles also coincide with what society deems as most important to our collective culture. Being the POTUS (politics), gold medal winner (sports), richest person (business), MVP (sports) or most pretty man/woman are completely in line with the status quo.

We rarely celebrate scientists or other 'nerd' professions in this way because naturally idolizing people with power is easier than understanding the concepts that make a scientist / astronaut so brilliant. Human expediency (laziness), helluva drug.

The popularity of a man like Bill Nye or NDT are only because nerds took dominion of the internet first and have used the invention to popularize their heroes.

There is just something about watching a man like Christopher Hitchens / Noam Chomsky dismantle someone with words that just puts *** someone up to shame. Bad enough to take bodily injuries but to smash someones ego and leave them at a loss for words? Gold.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 13:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Science they still teach that in schools ?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-17 13:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
All of those rewarded titles also coincide with what society deems as most important to our collective culture. Being the POTUS (politics), gold medal winner (sports), richest person (business), MVP (sports) or most pretty man/woman are completely in line with the status quo. We rarely celebrate scientists or other 'nerd' professions in this way because naturally idolizing people with power is easier than understanding the concepts that make a scientist / astronaut so brilliant. Human expediency (laziness), helluva drug.

There was a pretty good quote from Jussi Jokinen (Finnish hockey player who plays in the NHL) about the Olympics. The Finnish team was thrilled to win bronze, but the U.S. was dissapointed to be in the bronze medal game. He expressed it well, saying it's just a disconnect in North American for some reason; we can't accept NOT being first. It's win or nothing.

Classic "silver medal is first loser" though process. Always hated that thought process.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 13:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever been cursed out by an angry Scottish woman
As the grandson of a woman who emigrated from Scotland, yes. Chinese women are really quite good at cussing people out, too.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 13:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with glory-obsessed idiots is that not every individual is cut out for leadership. It doesn't mean you need to be a mindless follower but when you want to constantly become king of the mountain for everything, you wind up looking like a giant twit.

It's like the guild leader who refuses to listen to others because the title of leadership has gone to their heads or global leaders who ignore council because *** it, I must be right.

Good leaders know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. Wannabes simply hold 'em until they are revealed as frauds and fakes. Humility is as much a part of leadership as asserting your position with authority.

And then the Lord Tanaka said onto Sparthosx, the equation must barance. Life is barance. You too will eventually be baranced.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 13:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Obsessed with video games can barely read or write. Sounds about right.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 13:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Barance!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-17 13:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't mean you need to be a mindless follower but when you want to constantly become king of the mountain for everything, you wind up looking like a giant twit.

Now you know why I named my character Kingnobody.

It's kindof like a paradox against my own culture.
By fonewear 2014-04-17 13:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of mindless followers you guys try Twiiter yet...
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 13:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

True, but I think it has more to do with our society's stance of individuality vs group oriented social structures than anything else.
I just see this happen a lot more on gendered lines.

I do a lot of piecemeal kind of work, including unloading and sorting goods and materials. I've worked with a couple of crews largely consisting of women and with many, many crews of men. The women almost always organize a partnering system for lifting and dealing with larger things, the men have to show off their manliness by grabbing something literally larger than they are and hauling it slowly and dangerously to where it needs to be. And yet it's the men who always seem to dribble on about "Work smarter, not harder." /shrug
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 13:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Women can't live with them can't umm can't finish cliches without them.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 14:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

And here is where Saevel would chime in that is because women are worthless objects that are only looking for the strongest male as per our evolutionary heritage. Thus only the most masculine survive and if you can't lift a box, you have failed humanity and should probably commit suicide. Save us all some resources.

In actuality, men do need to compete for the attention of females through biological drive as women ultimately hold the cards with who they want to sleep with. Unless you pay for sex or are into 'dat date rape / slimy advance upon another. Like peacocks we try to preen ourselves before our desired mates and we succeed/fail based on the unknown criteria. However, much of our modern trappings is built upon outmoded standards. We have *** forklifts and soon autonomous robots within cities where many different people live together in functional chaos. The idea of what makes a man a man must be broadened for the modern age.

I can respect the dude who can light a fire with a flint as much as I can the man who works in weapons development to light an entire city ablaze with his theorems. Some sports star will be remembered as much as Stephen Hawking will be for contributions to society. One for working within the status quo and the other for bucking it.

Because ***, handicapped people are supposed to be completely useless.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 14:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Stephen Hawking is that the guy that wrote The Shining ?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-17 14:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Stephen Hawking is that the guy that wrote The Shining ?

Obvious trolling.

Still facepalmed.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 14:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Stephen King is serious business though. Without a wheelchair no less.

Haters going to hate.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-17 14:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in Hawking's corner since way back.

Anyone with the balls to write a science book for mass consumption called "A Brief History of Time" has got my vote.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 14:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a Stephen Hawking action figure from the Simpsons.

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-17 14:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love a Futurama one. Preferably with a Hawking Hole.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 15:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Is religion causing unequal pay among women?

Ppl claiming others are inferior in the name of religion?!

/shocked
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 16:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

In actuality, men do need to compete for the attention of females through biological drive as women ultimately hold the cards with who they want to sleep with. Unless you pay for sex or are into 'dat date rape / slimy advance upon another.
There's always another option. I know altogether too many men who lust for "straight" guys and "straight" guys who got over worrying about the gender attached to the moist orifice, at least when it comes to base pleasure.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-17 17:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
There is an overall pay gap if you look at every man versus every woman. It is caused by parents that give their little daughters dolls and make them cute little homemakers from birth while they give their sons building sets and microscopes while teaching them to be aggressive.

This. Great Odin's Raven, THIS.

Even before I met my wife, I don't know if I was ever attracted to a woman who wasn't insultingly labeled a "tom boy". Any girl I actively pursued in my life was always outside the realm of "traditional" girls.

What the hell is the point in dating or marrying women with whom you have nothing in common? I don't care how hot she is. Even if she's intelligent too. If you can't do anything fun with her (OTHER than the obvious...) then you're just wasting your time.

(For the record, my wife's a forensic scientists and does make more than me, though the difference is minor)

All just my opinion, obviously.

What I'm saying is, those of you having children, let them be who they want to be.

I'm for the "let women be what they want to be" argument. It seems like a lot of feminists just want women to act like men and do manly things. If I have a daughter that likes dolls and wants to be a housewife when she grows up, that's great. If she wants to play sports and work in a field normally reserved for men, that's great too. I just think that telling women they can't fill a more traditional role is just as bad as saying that they have to.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 17:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm for the "let women be what they want to be" argument. It seems like a lot of feminists just want women to act like men and do manly things. If I have a daughter that likes dolls and wants to be a housewife when she grows up, that's great. If she wants to play sports and work in a field normally reserved for men, that's great too. I just think that telling women they can't fill a more traditional role is just as bad as saying that they have to.
I suspect Ramyrez is more arguing for the same as you. He's just mentioning that his wife happens to be fairly non-traditional.

That said, I'd like society to get more comfortable with the idea of househusbands or stay-at-home dads or whatever word people prefer. Taking seriously the idea that men are and can be caregivers is essential to clearing up some of the anti-men stuff that plagues our society, especially the legal system. If we grow to accept that dad knows how to raise his kids, the automatic ceding of children to mom in a divorce (to say nothing of alimony being a largely one-way street) will diminish.

But part of the problem is less that the legal system doesn't think so and more that men doing things like taking paternity leave or quitting their jobs 'til the kids are in school is treated as being the faggiest thing alive, even gayer than taking it up the butt. The latent misogyny is hardly difficult to see, I trust?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-17 17:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the argument is that people up till recently had no choice regarding what they do with themselves with regards to gender roles. WWII and the rise of early feminists opened the door to being yourself and seizing the freedom to self-determinate. You could go back to the early women's suffragists if you saw fit as the turning point.

If you were a tomboy 100 years ago you were a maverick and if you were an effeminate male ha... well, you weren't having a good time.

Religious orders clinging to traditional values naturally lend themselves to protecting the status quo. Religion like humanity can adapt, it simply needs impetus to.