Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » 5 dead in Calgary Stabbing
5 dead in Calgary Stabbing
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-15 16:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/five-dead-calgary-house-party-stabbing-held-school-140024335.html

Quote:
Five dead in stabbing called 'the worst mass murder in Calgary's history'
By Matthew Coutts | Daily Brew – 7 hours ago...

An overnight stabbing that left five university students dead in Calgary is being called the worst mass murder in the city’s history and has left the University of Calgary community reeling.

Four men and one woman, all in their 20s, were fatally stabbed early Tuesday morning while attending a house party a short distance from the University of Calgary campus, celebrating the end of the school year.

The Calgary Police Service confirms they were called to a home in the city's northwestern neighbourhood of Brentwood at about 1:20 a.m. Tuesday morning, where some student-aged young adults had been holding a celebratory gathering.

Police say five people were found stabbed. Three were declared dead at the scene and two others died in hospital. The victims have not yet been identified; police say no names will be released until the completion of autopsies.

Calgary police's homicide unit is currently investigating and has been interviewing witnesses through the day. One suspect was taken into custody after a brief police pursuit. Police say he was taken to hospital with minor injuries sustained during the police pursuit.

Calgary police Chief Rick Hanson confirmed that the 23-year-old suspect was the son of a Calgary police officer with 33 years on the force. Police have not confirmed the identity of the suspect, but the Calgary Herald reports his name is Matthew de Groot. A Facebook page connected to that name suggests de Groot had studied psychology at the University of Calgary and was recently accepted to the university's law school.

The last message posted to the Facebook page appeared Monday evening and reads simply, "Dread and the fugitive mind- the world needs a hero."

Police believe that the suspect was a welcome guest at the house party, belived to be celebrating the end of the academic year. Hanson said the suspect had allegedly brought a weapon to the event, but found and used a knife from the home in his attack, targeting the victims and stabbing them several times.

"This is the worst mass murder in Calgary's history," Hanson told reporters. "We have never seen five people killed by an individual at one scene. The scene was horrific."

The stabbings occurred at a home on the 100 block of Butler Crescent, a short distance from University of Calgary campus. The party has as many as 30 guests at one point, but only about 20 remained at the time of the stabbings.

Neighbours told Postmedia News that the home had been rented to university students, who were celebrating the end of the school year. Nearby resident Doug Jones told CBC News the gathering was a relaxed affair.

“When it started to get dark, they moved inside and once inside, you wouldn’t even be able to tell there was anything really even going on. It wasn’t loud at all,” he told CBC.

The deaths have hit the University of Calgary community especially hard. University of Calgary President Elizabeth Cannon urged students affected by the tragedy to seek help through the campus wellness centre.

"Our thoughts and condolences go out to the families who lost their loved ones in this senseless tragedy," Cannon said. "The university community has lost a part of its family, and this is a very difficult time for all of us."

On Monday, the university students’ union had celebrated the end of the school year with its annual "Bermuda Shorts Day" festivities. The central event would have been held only a short walk from where the young men and woman were stabbed later that night.

Union President Raphael Jacob said the campus community was affected by the loss. "We are shocked to learn of the senseless tragedy that occurred early this morning on the 100 block of Butler Cres. NW. Our thoughts and condolences go out to the families and friends of all those affected," said Jacob.

Alberta Premier Dave Hancock called the attack a "senseless, shocking and horrible tragedy."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who lost their lives in the Brentwood neighbourhood," he said. “We will pull together as a community to make sure the families get the support they need as they cope with this terrible event."

Another tragedy hitting close to someone's home. In someone's city. The city I live in.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 16:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

/comfort
[+]
 Carbuncle.Peimei
Server: Carbuncle
user: Peimei
By Carbuncle.Peimei 2014-04-15 16:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

From the song he reportedly quoted on his fb page beforehand.

Quote:
Let me introduce myself I'm a social disease
I've come for your wealth leave you on your knees
No time for feeling sorry, I got here on my own
I won't ask for mercy, I choose to walk alone

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
If you shake my hand better count your fingers

What if I do get caught? What if there is no judgment?
If I'm right I lose nothing, if you're right I lose it all
I ought to get caught because I'm doing something wicked
I'm guilty haunted by my fear and the only consequences
Are Dread and the Fugitive Mind

You built walls to protect you so no one will infect you
Pursued by those out there that vanish in thin air
Come a long way to find what you really left behind
You don't know when the end is but it's coming fast

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
If you shake my hand better count your fingers

What if I do get caught? What if there is no judgment?
If I'm right I lose nothing, if you're right I lose it all
I ought to get caught because I'm doing something wicked
I'm guilty haunted by my fear and the only consequences
Are Dread and the Fugitive Mind
By fonewear 2014-04-15 16:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Song lyrics on facebook. That is a crime in itself...

Everything I hate in one story stabbing people, facebook and song lyrics.

Good punishment would be for him to sit in his jail cell listening to Hanson Mmmbop for the rest of his life.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-15 17:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If I made a thread every time someone was murdered in my city, it would be a daily thing.
[+]
Server: Ultros
Game: FFXIV
user: Allyha
By Allyha Kiade 2014-04-15 17:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Song lyrics on facebook. That is a crime in itself...

Everything I hate in one story stabbing people, facebook and song lyrics.

Good punishment would be for him to sit in his jail cell listening to Hanson Mmmbop for the rest of his life.

Someone is also going to be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and try to blame this all on Megadeth, saying that it's their musics fault!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-15 17:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Really terrible crime happened near me few years ago woman was stabbed and tortured (really nasty stuff)

She was mentally challenged also. So the whole thing was awful.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-04-15 17:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

wow wtf I swear as year's go on humanity get's more *** up.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-15 17:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »

To quote the Talking Heads

"Same as it ever was"
[+]
 Shiva.Gib
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-04-15 17:44:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, if anything it's getting less F'ed up. You should read some of the stuff in the bible ect, when Genocide seemed to be a common thing.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-15 18:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

We better outlaw all the knifes and anything pointy or sharp
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-15 18:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
I guess your sharp wit would be outlawed as well.

because you know, knife debate and all.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-15 18:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
I dunno, if anything it's getting less F'ed up. You should read some of the stuff in the bible ect, when Genocide seemed to be a common thing.
Media exposure.

A woman here in my city was stabbed during an attempted mugging as she was leaving her gym. In, let's say, Victorian London, that wouldn't have even registered on the broadsheets unless she was aristocracy or her suspected assailant was Jack the Ripper. Since violent crime is way down in our lifetimes, though, and human beings are terrible people who want to read about gore and murder, the news tries to be bloodier than ever.

Meanwhile, regarding the OP... I've lost count of how many children of cops I have met or heard about who are completely 'round the corner. Patton Oswalt has a routine where he suggests that uptight parents make for unbound kids and vice-versa and it certainly seems true of cops' kids.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-15 18:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

obviously a hoax people only kill people in america
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-15 18:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
crime/murder that occurs around the world is less than 1% of the total population, so if anything the offset is still better(?).
So the victims of tragedies, and those left behind or affected by it should be consoled by this notion?

"Oh, well the world is technically a better place because their death was less than 1% of the population, and the offset is better for it"
By fonewear 2014-04-15 18:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »

Not saying it was aliens...it was aliens.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-15 18:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The total lack of evidence of aliens is obviously the evidence of an alien cover up.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-04-15 18:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The total lack of evidence of aliens is obviously the evidence of an alien cover up.
Or evidence of Americans... cause apparently Canadians don't kill other Canadians. (And Americans would be alien to Canada, so... ALIENS!)

Isn't it freaky how they look so much like Canadians?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 18:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
I guess your sharp wit would be outlawed as well.

because you know, knife debate and all.
damn, almost a half a page.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-04-15 20:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
lol true that stuff is curupted.