First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-01 09:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
Thanks Kara for the info, I was too lazy to go search google....yet again.

So some of the reports on news sites about this Russia-Ukraine ordeal and how Russia has taken a significant financial hit in their markets could be blown out of proportion? I mean, if Their GDP declined 55 percent and they still pulled through, why would Putin give a single solitary rats hairy backside about what kind of a hit the market takes.

No problem.

It took Russia a couple of decades to get back to USSR levels. I wouldn't call that an immediate win. Now Russia has more companies/business people who have influence on the government if the market retreats too much. Which is who, I assume, the West is hoping will influence Putin.

The markets in Russia look to be volatile at the moment, but that isn't automatically a bad thing. Volatile markets attract investors because the potential to make a lot of money increases (the inverse also increases) if the rewards are high enough.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-02 13:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ukraine's deposed President Viktor Yanukovych says Russia's annexation of Crimea is "a tragedy" and he hopes it will become part of Ukraine again.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26857734

Quote:
Mr Yanukovych, now in Russia, said he would try to persuade Russian President Vladimir Putin to return Crimea to Ukraine.

"Crimea is a tragedy, a major tragedy," he said.

"We must set such a task and search for ways to return to Crimea on any conditions, so that Crimea may have the maximum degree of independence possible... but be part of Ukraine."

Mr Yanukovych said had he remained in power, he would have tried to prevent the referendum, calling it a "form of protest" against Ukraine's new pro-Western leaders.

This is the same guy that the Russian diplomat claimed wrote a letter to Putin asking him to intervene in Crimea.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-02 13:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Its his best Romney impersonation.
[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-04-02 13:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Its his best Romney impersonation.
... Always more than one of them in the world somewhere.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-04-02 13:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By volkom 2014-04-02 13:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

moar!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-04-02 13:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-04-02 14:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
If someone took Ren'py and let their imagination go wild, what I linked earlier might become a reality.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-10 16:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Putin Warns Europe About Ukraine's Mounting Gas Debt

Dragging much of Europe into his fight with Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin urged European leaders Thursday to quickly help Ukraine settle its gas debt to Russia to prevent an imminent shutdown of Russian natural gas supplies to the continent.

Putin's letter to 18 leaders, released Thursday by the Kremlin, is part of Russia's efforts to retain control over its struggling neighbor, which is teetering on the verge of financial ruin and is facing a pro-Russian separatist mutiny in the east.

Putin's move raises the specter of a new gas dispute between Russia and Ukraine that could affect much of Europe. In 2009, Moscow turned off supplies to Kiev, leading to the shutdown of Russian gas moving across Ukrainian pipelines to other European countries.

The amount that Putin claims Ukraine owes is growing by billions every day. In the letter, Putin said Ukraine owes Russia $17 billion in gas discounts and potentially another $18.4 billion incurred by Ukraine as a minimal take-or-pay fine under their 2009 gas contract.

He added, on top of that $35.4 billion, Russia also holds $3 billion in Ukrainian government bonds.

The amount is far greater than the estimated $14 billion bailout that the International Monetary Fund is considering for Ukraine.

Putin has been tightening the economic screws on the cash-strapped Kiev government since it came to power in February.

Starting this month, Russia state energy giant Gazprom scrapped all discounts on gas to Ukraine, meaning a 70 percent price hike that will add to the debt figure.

Russia argues that a gas discount was tied to a lease for Russia's Black Sea Fleet base in Crimea, a Ukrainian region that Russia annexed last month. And Ukraine has promised the IMF that it will cut energy subsidies to residents in exchange for the bailout. That means gas prices were set to rise 50 percent on May 1 even before the latest salvo from Putin.

Source
 Fenrir.Squintik
Server: Fenrir
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-04-11 09:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost sounds like he's trying to justify his next invasion.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-11 09:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

either that or the ego boost of invading a nation, getting away with it, then having the world pay him for it..
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-04-11 16:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The article is not quite right.
He did not say the Ukraine has a debt in these hights (it's around 2.2 billions atm), but he states that he 'subsidised' the Ukraine in the mentions heights.
The rest of the article is correct.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-11 17:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Annexation of Chrimea was just the first step on his march toward propping up the Russian economy by trying to control energy costs in Europe. He's leveraging Russia's petroleum in order to exact political control of much of Eastern Europe. I don't see this going very far, the EU has a significant monetary advantage even in its current state.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-11 17:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Annexation of Chrimea was just the first step on his march toward propping up the Russian economy by trying to control energy costs in Europe. He's leveraging Russia's petroleum in order to exact political control of much of Eastern Europe. I don't see this going very far, the EU has a significant monetary advantage even in its current state.
What's the likelihood that we'd intervene (meaning the USA, obviously) if the EU was struggling to shut out that tactic, do you figure?
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-11 17:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what you mean by intervene. There isn't much to intervene in right now, Putin is waving his finger and being ignored. Russia supplies the EU with 30% of its total natural gas and if he inhibits any of it he will be taking even more money out of his now pathetic economy. There is no potential of anything happening from Russia before the Ukrainian elections.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-11 17:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have a specific definition of intervention. Could be anything from politely cheering from the sidelines to putting even more economic pressure on Russia to turning the whole of Moscow into glass.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-15 18:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ukraine crisis could hit Russian GDP

Quote:
The minister, Anton Siluanov, warned the country's economy faced "the most difficult conditions since the 2008 crisis", Russian news agencies said.

Mr Siluanov said Russia had already seen capital flight of $63bn in the first three months of 2014.

Russia's annexation of Crimea is also set to increase state spending.

Mr Siluanov told a government meeting: "GDP growth is estimated as rather low, 0.5%. Perhaps it will be around zero."

He added that money was leaving the country because of geopolitical instability - understood to mean Russia's involvement in the Ukraine crisis and increased pressure in eastern Ukraine.

Also, tensions are increasing again after this weekend and todays response
Ukraine says Donetsk 'anti-terror operation' under way
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-04-15 18:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
What's the likelihood that we'd intervene (meaning the USA, obviously) if the EU was struggling to shut out that tactic, do you figure?

Intervene it hard to define, I don't see Russia pushing hard enough to illicit an actual response besides hard speeches and economic pressure.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 21:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Oil.

Other than that Russia's problems are none of the U.S.'s concerns. The U.S. is losing its standing as the self appointed world police along with the decline of the petrodollar and as a reserve currency.

What you guys (western world) are experiencing is the transfer of a new world economy. They have not gotten all the details finalized, but are well in works as they kind of got rushed now. As someone who has just lived in worked in Russia for the past year, the economy over there is excellent and it is one of the places where all the good high skilled jobs are. Anything else is neo-con / cold war thinking on the U.S. part.

Welcome to the new world. Embrace it or live in denial.

EU is in no position either. IMF / ECB are crumbling financial institutions. The only thing that will survive is the BIS.

Ukraine is being used as a pawn by U.S. / EU (UK said funk that) and Israel to assert a USD dominance over the country. They looked at the numbers only after they got everybody all excited to join the EU, and saw there was no way they could absorb the EU's inflation problem. Nobody wants the burden of importing USD/EUR (tied together) inflation and absorbing it through austerity.

Only problem is Yanukovych was corrupt with their money, but now you have radicals who have seized power in Kiev. They have zero experience in governing and to put it politely are very hateful people. People in Eastern Europe are all about taking action to fix a problem rather than arguing and ramble on while nothing gets done, which is why the East gave them ~2 months to at least come up with a plan. No plan, no money, just hate and violence. So the west's time is up. They want to get back to work and live their lives in peace. Not going to happen with a crazy lunatic screaming about killing all Russians.

Until Kiev can produce a competent enough government, that for instance knows what the Swiss flag looks like, the situation will just get worse. The U.S. is so paranoid over anything Russia or Putin will that they keep waiting for the IMF to do something, as in put your money where your mouth is. Nothing though. U.S. will make more money financing a civil war. Already talk of providing weapons. Russia does not want this, but has little they can do without paranoid U.S. opening its big mouth.

At this point the Kiev government only knows violence and so this is their solution. Meanwhile the east (of Ukraine) is standing their ground.

Taking control of Crimea before all this broke out was the smartest thing Russia could have done. And they did it without a single death... well a few weeks later I think 1-2 people were shot being a bunch of idiots. That's expected, but for the most part went very well. Everyone was for it, as it a military region, in which Russia owns a naval base. Their economy relies on Russia. The only objection was from a few Tatars who are living in the past and they are ok with it for now.

Do not forget that Russia controls ~40% (South Africa, an ally ~44%) of all the worlds palladium supplies. Since Crimea it's price has gone from the $695-$745 range to $780-$810 range. Very important, but overlooked metal.

Control of Ukraine is not an option from either side. Putin is just using it a prime example of failed U.S. foreign policy, because it's right next to their country. Anything else, and you've living in the 1950's.

Only America still obsesses with imperialism and trying to find the next Hitler. Take a look in the mirror.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 21:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

When this is finally all over, Yanukovych will spend some much needed time in a Siberian labor camp. Probably only for a year or two. But any assets he has (or stole) will not be waiting for him.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-15 22:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
As someone who has just lived in worked in Russia for the past year, the economy over there used to be excellent and it is one of the places where all the good high skilled jobs used to be.

FTFY. Unfortunately, Putin's land grab has exposed the Russian economy for what it really is, a poorly run country that is now facing decline. Growth has come to a halt and foreign investors have pulled over $60 billion worth of capital out of Russia. The ruble has sunk to all time lows and has not improved at all, despite the banks spending billions to stabilize it, billions they will not be getting back. They are also having to go over budget to finance Crimea, which will just make things worse. And the West hasn't even had to impose sanctions, which it can still do at any time. Hope it was worth it, Putin.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-04-15 22:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Every time I see this thread on the main page I think of
"Russia and Ukraine walk into a bar..."
But then I don't know how the rest of the joke would go...
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-04-15 22:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 23:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Do not forget that Russia controls ~40% of all the worlds palladium supplies.
Don't think Ivan or Tony forgot.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 23:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately, Putin's land grab has exposed the Russian economy for what it really is, a poorly run country that is now facing decline. Growth has come to a halt and foreign investors have pulled over $60 billion worth of capital out of Russia. The ruble has sunk to all time lows and has not improved at all, despite the banks spending billions to stabilize it, billions they will not be getting back. They are also having to go over budget to finance Crimea, which will just make things worse. And the West hasn't even had to impose sanctions, which it can still do at any time. Hope it was worth it, Putin.
Don't know where you get your information from. I get mine from traveling and working there. Only reason I left was my work visa was up along with the job.

Going to give China another year, hopefully soon as being back in the states, especially NJ, sucks. Most likely will move to St. Petersburg permanently after all of that. IMO best place to live all around. Plenty of jobs still, but I want to experience China some more before I call Russia home. Besides learning Chinese in China is fun and the Russians want me to learn as much of it as possible for translation purposes.

So all this 'a poorly run country that is now facing decline' I've yet to see. Only the opposite is what I've experienced in 3 different cities there. I think you need to go there in order to make a sound judgement.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-15 23:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I need to go there at all, I'll stick to listening to the Russian economists who openly talk about the crisis their country is facing, as well as looking at the stock index. When exactly did you leave? I'm guessing before this crisis started, so you are dealing with obsolete information.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 23:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I need to go there at all, I'll stick to listening to the Russian economists who openly talk about the crisis their country is facing, as well as looking at the stock index. When exactly did you leave? I'm guessing before this crisis started, so you are dealing with obsolete information.
I just got back April 5th from a 6 month job. Was in China right before that. And was in Russia again before that.

Chronologically it went:

St. Petersburg, Russia from June 2012 ~ Dec 2012 (6 month entry level)
Chengdu, China March 2013 ~ July 2013 (4 month internship-like job)
Oryol, Russia Oct 2013 ~ April 2014 (6 month full time contract)

Upcoming:
Two offers of 1 year contract work in Chengdu, China. (Fall 2014)
One position waiting for me in St. Petersburg once I'm ready. (Whenever I want... kinda)

Slew of places in Oryol, but I like St. Petersburg better.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-15 23:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I didn't ask for all that. Perhaps you should do some research, just google russian economy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 23:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I didn't ask for all that. Perhaps you should do some research, just google russian economy.
Why am I going to research something I'm already involved in firsthand? Especially since this 'research' is just flat out wrong, unless I am some extraordinary exception, which I highly doubt.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 23:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Research shows the labor market is in desperate need of more workers in Russia. Labor force cannot keep up with demand so they are desperate for immigrants.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21