FFXIV
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-09-04 11:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

@afina you know that not only does the GCD get lower with more spell/skill speed but there are alot of instant abilities not including the ones you end up borrowing from other classes.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-09-04 11:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol at the complaint that low level fighting is boring.
IT'S SO FUN IN FFXI! Autoattack and use the only one ws every couple of years as you have no haste or stp.
Pleeeeease.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-04 11:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
IT'S SO FUN IN FFXI! Autoattack and use the only one ws every couple of years as you have no haste or stp.
Pleeeeease.

FFXI is an intentionally slow paced game.
FFXIV wants to be fast paced while maintaining some trappings of a slower paced game.

It's unfair to compare the two.

I think the boredom comes from "kill 5 ladybugs", "kill 3 marmots", "carry this box from point X to point Y" Got agro? Who cares, outrun that ***.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-09-04 11:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Pleeeeease.

FFXIV wants to be fast paced while maintaining some trappings of a slower paced game.

I think the boredom comes from "kill 5 ladybugs", "kill 3 marmots", "carry this box from point X to point Y" Got agro? Who cares, outrun that ***.
Huzzah for Sprint!!!

Either way, I'm having FUN with the game. F U N.

This:

It's fun to go and fight stuff and do quests. Hang out with friends, do dungeons, etc. It's faster paced for a reason, so that people can only play for a few hours and still feel like they have accomplished something.

FFXI was no longer fun to me. This is. That's all there is to it. As long as you have fun with one, that's all that matters.

Edit: Oh also about the "people not even talking", a lot of people play on PS3 and usually don't have a keyboard hooked up to type or don't want to go through the extra effort to do so. My boyfriend plays on PS3 and it's hard for him to juggle between the two, so I understand.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-09-04 11:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only tried it at a friend's place, so my experience is what it is, however I really enjoyed the hunting log thing. Gives exping an actual purpose making the grind less noticeable and boring. For a person like me who enjoys having an achievement system it's a really great thing.
[+]
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-09-04 11:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the hunting log is pretty awesome, it forces you to go exploring for it as well. Don't have to be stuck in one place all the time which is nice.

FATEs are fun as well, mass chaos and all you do is just attack all the things!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 12:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Knala said: »
@afina you know that not only does the GCD get lower with more spell/skill speed but there are alot of instant abilities not including the ones you end up borrowing from other classes.

You don't get it until higher lv, and I've been saying it's a design flaw if you can't have fun until higher lv.

Don't you think early gameplay would be more fun if GDC's lower at lower lv? If you agree, then it's a design flaw.

Pleeeeease.

Ppl still compare XI with XIV? Pleeeeeease, do you compare skyrim with morrowind? You don't compare a 2013 game with 2002 game, and tell me 2013 game is awesome because it's better than 2002, you compare it with other 2013 games. Skyrim is awesome compare with other 2011 games though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Afania 2013-09-04 12:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »

Ppl need to stop pulling XI card to defend for XIV :x

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Pleeeeease.

If you really, really want to compare the two, despite I think it's not fair to compare them:

XI's solo experience from lv 1~11 was worse than XIV due to even slower paced combat and may or may not need to /heal.

But first party experience in dunes was really memorable to me, conserve MP matters, link after pull would wipe, if you make mistake in dunes pt, you got punished really hard by losing 10% EXP and /shout for raise. For someone new to MMO, it's a great introduction to party dynamics and not to make mistakes.

XIV at lv 12 it's still a solo experience, and first party experience is much less memorable than dunes experience. It's pretty much the same as other low lv dungeons in other MMO. There were more rooms for error, and less punishment for making mistakes, taking all the fun away. And party experience doesn't get hard until much, much higher lv.

However, those are really subjective and I'd rather not to compare them. Some ppl hate XI dunes pt to death and would rather want XIV style. I disagree with ppl pulling XI card all the time whenever XIV's flaws are mentioned though.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-09-04 12:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Every game has a flaw. No game is perfect. As long as you have fun with it, none of that should matter.

If you don't have fun with FFXIV, don't play. It's that simple. Don't go on a tirade on why it's not "fun" when several others think it is.

Also, the reason why people still compare this to FFXI is because FFXI, even after all these years, is still RELEVANT. It's very rare to see another MMO last that long, and when it does, you know it's predecessor is going to be compared to it. It'll be the same when Blizzard finally decides to release their Project Titan.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-09-04 12:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Ppl still compare XI with XIV?
It's what you do...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 12:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Every game has a flaw. No game is perfect. As long as you have fun with it, none of that should matter.

If you don't have fun with FFXIV, don't play. It's that simple. Don't go on a tirade on why it's not "fun" when several others think it is.

Also, the reason why people still compare this to FFXI is because FFXI, even after all these years, is still RELEVANT. It's very rare to see another MMO last that long, and when it does, you know it's predecessor is going to be compared to it. It'll be the same when Blizzard finally decides to release their Project Titan.

We all know that every games has flaw, thanks for clarifying the obvious.

The issue isn't about "OMG XIV HAS FLAW, BREAKING NEWS", it's about fan boys turn black into white.

Slow paced combat may be fun for some, and there won't be anyone disagreeing if fan boys just say "FFXIV is slow, but I liked slow paced game".

But no, you see ppl saying "FFXIV is fast paced" without playing other newer MMO that's fast paced, expect someone with different POV with such bold statement. Because it WILL draw unwanted hate and ppl disagree with the opinion.
By Afania 2013-09-04 12:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ppl still compare XI with XIV?
It's what you do...

I don't do it for the sake of bashing one title or another, and made statement about XI style isn't for everyone. I never made any bold statement such as "design in XI is best ever"

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 12:44:37
Link | Quote | Reply

But no, you see ppl saying "FFXIV is fast paced" without playing other newer MMO that's fast paced, expect someone with different POV with such bold statement. Because it WILL draw unwanted hate and ppl disagree with the opinion.

Uh, like one person has said this. If you're going to bother writing novels to argue a point at least argue against the correct one.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 12:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Uh, like one person has said this. If you're going to bother writing novels to argue a point at least argue against the correct one.

You did bashed 2 ability kill fodder and lower GCD :(
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 12:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I've played many modern MMOs as they've released. RIFT, TERA, GW2, TSW, SWTOR... not a single one of them had me one/two shotting level one fodder. Indeed, I had to stand there for almost the same amount of time to kill quest mobs (which by the way, in almost every single one of these games quests are kill x of y just like XIV< so not sure what you're complaining about there) as I do in XIV, sometimes even longer (in the case of TSW and SWTOR, we're talking minutes in some cases). You may have a shorter GCD in other games, but the difference is that the monsters in other games have more HP and/or the abilities that you gain in those games are less powerful/effective as a result.

And going against 2 abilities killing things and a lower GCD != calling XIV's combat fast paced. I've specifically referred to it as a more measured experience.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-09-04 12:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know that every games has flaw, thanks for clarifying the obvious.
In your statements you've done nothing but point out flaws of a game that's only been released for a week. Yet you go on a rant on why the game is so boring to you. I know this game has LARGE flaws (screw you 1017), yet I have fun with it still. And so do several others.

Reiteration: If you're complaining about this game and not having fun, then don't play. Enough said. Move on. It gets old after a while.

Btw, this game is probably not the fastest paced when it comes to MMOs, but damn, can people get stuff accomplished in such a short time on this game.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 12:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I've played many modern MMOs as they've released. RIFT, TERA, GW2, TSW, SWTOR... not a single one of them had me one/two shotting level one fodder. Indeed, I had to stand there for almost the same amount of time to kill quest mobs (which by the way, in almost every single one of these games quests are kill x of y just like XIV< so not sure what you're complaining about there) as I do in XIV, sometimes even longer (in the case of TSW and SWTOR, we're talking minutes in some cases). You may have a shorter GCD in other games, but the difference is that the monsters in other games have more HP and/or the abilities that you gain in those games are less powerful/effective as a result.

And going against 2 abilities killing things and a lower GCD != calling XIV's combat fast paced. I've specifically referred to it as a more measured experience.

TERA certainly doesn't fit 2 shot fodder design though, it's too action oriented and you don't want to kill fodder in 2 click swings.

But I do feel lv1 fodder HP need to reduce in XIV, strongly. It's either 5 ability kill with 1.5 sec GDC or 2 ability kill with 2.5 sec GDC.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-09-04 12:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing left to say other than that combat gains some added complexity at later levels. Not sure why you'd want to pass judgement on a game based on your limited experiences in Sastasha, but you either find it worth sticking it out for or you don't.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 12:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If I get the time I'll make some short videos to illustrate my point. Pretty much nothing short of Conjurer has had me engaged to a lv1 monster for longer than 20~30 seconds (like I've actually time dit, it's probably much less) in XIV, around the same time it'd take me to spam my 1 key in a game like RIFT or SWTOR to kill the lv 1 skeleton/bandit.

Honestly I don't understand your position. Do you believe that other MMOs have more in depth level 1~20 combat? Am I misreading this? Because I don't know which game you're playing, but they're all pretty much spam 1/2/3 keys and kill multiple monsters for some farmer.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 13:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If I get the time I'll make some short videos to illustrate my point. Pretty much nothing short of Conjurer has had me engaged to a lv1 monster for longer than 20~30 seconds (like I've actually time dit, it's probably much less) in XIV, around the same time it'd take me to spam my 1 key in a game like RIFT or SWTOR to kill the lv 1 skeleton/bandit.

Honestly I don't understand your position. Do you believe that other MMOs have more in depth level 1~20 combat? Am I misreading this? Because I don't know which game you're playing, but they're all pretty much spam 1/2/3 keys and kill multiple monsters for some farmer.

I did not say any other title with more depth at lv 1~20, I think if 1~20 in MMO has no depth, may as well make the pace faster, such as lower than 2.5 sec GDC or less HP. Otherwise it's a design flaw.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-09-04 13:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

1-20 combat isn't supposed to be particularly "fun", it's meant to get you into the workings of the game and for you to learn how to play your class correctly. Once you learn the basics of the class, then you can do the more "fun" stuff, as you will know how to play the areas properly with said acquired skills. It being "fun" is what you make of it, that's about it.

Also, I think if people actually took the time to read all the dialogue on the quests they would be pleasantly surprised that the writing is pretty good on most of them. Lol@Onceyougoblackyounevergoback.
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-09-04 13:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

My problem with reading quest and chat is the graphics are great and all, but the text is so small on the text screen. It is like 10 font. maybe 8. Even ffxi font is bigger and easier to read. And I sit in a chair next to the screen. I can only imagine what people who play the game three to eight feet away.

But I do like leveling slow.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 13:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I did not say any other title with more depth at lv 1~20, I think if 1~20 in MMO has no depth, may as well make the pace faster, such as lower than 2.5 sec GDC or less HP. Otherwise it's a design flaw.

so. using 2~3 attacks on a 2.5s GCD is a design flaw, but using 7~8 on a 1.5s GCD is ok?
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-04 13:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

1-20 combat isn't supposed to be particularly "fun", it's meant to get you into the workings of the game and for you to learn how to play your class correctly. Once you learn the basics of the class, then you can do the more "fun" stuff, as you will know how to play the areas properly with said acquired skills. It being "fun" is what you make of it, that's about it.

And I think this so called "learning process"(solo quest) in XIV is way too long due to 2.5 sec GCD and put this game into "slow paced game" category. You can argue games like SWTOR is no better in terms of combat/solo quest, but the writing and voice acting in that game offset the boredom of low lv solo and make it feel faster in a way.

Again, if you can tolerate 2.5 sec GCD, or liked slow paced game that's fine. But that doesn't mean ppl won't say anything against it, nor point out that this game is not faced paced at all.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 13:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My main issue with your argument is your repeated misuse of the term "White Knight"
[+]
By Afania 2013-09-04 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

so. using 2~3 attacks on a 2.5s GCD is a design flaw, but using 7~8 on a 1.5s GCD is ok?

You use way more than 2~3 attack on 2.5s GCD though, and dragged the pace of the game unnecessary long.
 Asura.Revelation
Server: Asura
user: Oric
By Asura.Revelation 2013-09-04 13:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
You use way more than 2~3 attack on 2.5s GCD though, and dragged the pace of the game unnecessary long.

I got to level 10 in like 1.5-2 hours... how much faster does the pace need to be?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-09-04 13:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Revelation said: »
how much faster does the pace need to be?
I want to login and see the ending credits.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8