did you do /assist <t> or just /assist?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-09-04 00:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Pretty much a WOW with a final fantasy skin. The story is decent so far, haven't gotten far. It's not a bad game, but not better than XI.

pretty much what everyone expected from you draylo, an inaccurate comment, well done.

To everyone else, mainly Proth, is the combat system a lot like GW2? It looks like it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 00:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not at all similar to GW2's combat system. It's a classic hotkey MMO combat system with a more developed combo system (for some classes, anyway) and a longer GCD. It's difficult to explain it, and you don't get the full feeling of it until 40~50, however it just feels... bulky. In a good way. I'm running out of adjectives. Aside from that, monsters (trash and bosses alike) have attacks that can and should be dodged/avoided by physically moving out of the way or what have you, and most mid to late game bosses have interesting mechanics to keep you dancing that dance of death, making you remain on your toes. It's very easy to get floored by an AoE that you happen to dodge a second too late, or by an add that's channeling into a boss that you've failed to kill.

It makes me, personally, feel like I'm engaging in a more enjoyable and robust combat experience. In some ways I guess that does make it similar to GW2, but they're still a far cry from one another.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-09-04 00:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like wow, but less keyboard rape
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-09-04 00:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Pretty much a WOW with a final fantasy skin. The story is decent so far, haven't gotten far. It's not a bad game, but not better than XI.

pretty much what everyone expected from you draylo, an inaccurate comment, well done.

To everyone else, mainly Proth, is the combat system a lot like GW2? It looks like it.

What everyone expected from you as well, a negative response to my opinion. Grats on being a tool.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-09-04 00:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
It's not at all similar to GW2's combat system. It's a classic hotkey MMO combat system with a more developed combo system (for some classes, anyway) and a longer GCD. It's difficult to explain it, and you don't get the full feeling of it until 40~50, however it just feels... bulky. In a good way. I'm running out of adjectives. Aside from that, monsters (trash and bosses alike) have attacks that can and should be dodged/avoided by physically moving out of the way or what have you, and most mid to late game bosses have interesting mechanics to keep you dancing that dance of death, making you remain on your toes. It's very easy to get floored by an AoE that you happen to dodge a second too late, or by an add that's channeling into a boss that you've failed to kill.

It makes me, personally, feel like I'm engaging in a more enjoyable and robust combat experience. In some ways I guess that does make it similar to GW2, but they're still a far cry from one another.

so the defense is similar to GW2 in terms of dodging, but the offense is nothing alike. Seems like a solid recipe to success.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 00:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to say though, if the universe wasn't as fan service final fantasy-y, I'd probably not enjoy the game as a whole as much. It's a big deal for me to get attached to a game and feel comfortable with it, and if I can't immerse myself in the world almost immediately it makes it very difficult for me to achieve that.

Always wanted to ride magitech armor.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-09-04 00:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether or not you love the game, you can't deny it being a WoW or [insert MMO here] clone in some respect. The devs were literally required to play all popular MMOs to find what worked and what didn't. They obviously took what worked and put it into 14. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of innovation, which seems to precipitate most of these negative comments. 14 is more of a hodgepodge of MMOs, and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. The story is great and all, but once it's finished? Who cares. FFXI had some amazing stories as well, but they have absolutely no bearing on my personal attachment to the game. For example, if CoP had the most amazing story ever told in the history of storytelling, I'm still not going to be redoing prov missions every day... The story simply doesn't matter in the long run.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 01:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

^ That's another reason I like it so much. They've taken some critical elements from almost every other MMO on the market (including some very important ones like FATEs being basically direct copies of dynamic events from GW2), tried to improve on them, and melded them together into one giant stewpot. I can't actually think of anything that FFXIV innovates on or creates for itself (unless having probably the best story in any MMO ever counts), however I can say that the elemtns it's borrowed and improved upon work absolutely magnificently together.

Is it perfect? no. For example, leveling a job after your first is pretty torturous since you've probably completed almost all of the quests on your first time through, thus you haven't got any left to speed your way to 50 (they do try to make up for it with that xp bonus for jobs much lower than your highest, though).

Therefor, the game is not perfect, but it melts together so many awesome concepts from over the years into a traditional Final Fantasy world and story. It's my dream game.

[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-09-04 01:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't need to be innovative it just needs a solid scaling dungeon system and a good enough combat system and the final fantasy name will keep it alive despite not having PVP.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-09-04 01:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That said, the game is not perfect, but it melts together so many awesome concepts from over the years into a traditional Final Fantasy world and story. It's my dream game.
I agree with this. I wouldn't call it my dream game, though. The problem with some of the things they've incorporated took away the social aspect that XI had, for example.

Also I really hate when ***hits me when i'm 50 yalms from the targeting reticule.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 01:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I guess I forgot to think about the social aspect. Duty Finder alone does a lot of damage in that respect, and the game doesn't demand a cohesive LS-based camaraderie until... well I haven't gotten that far yet.

I would say that dynamic events make the game feel more social, but then I remember that no one really cares that you're there, even if you're the guy taking all the hits from the giant robot boss, clearly dying and needing cures, but the WHMs couldn't give a ***. /rage
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-09-04 01:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I guess I forgot to think about the social aspect. Duty Finder alone does a lot of damage in that respect, and the game doesn't demand a cohesive LS-based camaraderie until... well I haven't gotten that far yet.

I would say that dynamic events make the game feel more social, but then I remember that no one really cares that you're there, even if you're the guy taking all the hits from the giant robot boss, clearly dying and needing cures, but the WHMs couldn't give a ***. /rage

All of that ***will be added post launch.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-09-04 01:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
@Enuyasha:

Have you tried Back/Select?

I haven't tried myself but I see what he means and it may be reached through Select spam. Or maybe X, there must be a way though.

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The pace of the fights boils down to more than hitting a button every 2.5 seconds (which isn't completely accurate since you have abilities off the gcd). Combat (especially bosses) tends to keep you on your toes with constant movement and interacting with the environment. The gcd never felt inhibiting because chances are you should be doing something else other than staring at your bars waiting for buttons to light up again.
I haven't gotten higher than lv 16 in v2 so far and haven't used my v1 character but until this level, the GCD is a hindrance and makes playing much less enjoyable than what it could be.

I still think they should have designed the gameplay another way, GCD just seems like an easy way to limit a gameplay without doing much efforts thinking on how to make it different/better.
I've never really been bothered by the gcd concept, but combat opens up a great deal later on. Things like MP and TP start to matter, key buffs and debuffs need to be maintained, and your offensive and defensive abilities need to be used more intelligently. The game likes to throw a bunch of ***at you so the seconds in between abilities feels like less of a hindrance and more like a chance to breathe and *** the battle.
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
Server: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2013-09-04 01:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd keep you alive Proth :c
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-04 01:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I'm not level 50 yet and I'm feeling that GW2 did dynamic events better even if certain runs (Plinx, Penitent) were a bit too popular.

Not once since I created my character in a FATE have I felt that I could possibly be killed. Not once. Everything is so facerollingly easy, especially the item turn-ins where 4-5 items handed in can get you a Gold medal without even engaging a mob. Cmon. Half the times I get bored of the FATE, hit some mobs for credit and just move on.

Even in GW2 you had dynamic events where trying to solo would put your *** into the ground. Battles where you had formidable foes in lowbie zones no less. XIV may have dungeon difficulty tweaked properly but the overworld events are a joke.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-04 01:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a fun game, but too easy for my taste. However this might change in the future or later on, my beefs with the game are:

- The normal mobs have no unique AI, meaning that fighting a rabbit or fighting a dinosaur doesn't matter, just spam the ***out of it. And knowing their special moves to play strategically doesn't exist and doesn't matter even.

- Enfeebling effects casted by you or on you has no meaning also.

- Healing jobs spam cures and you're doing fine.

- High DPS jobs does not suffer the lack of enmity control.

IMO i have to think more while playing angry birds than in FFXIV.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-09-04 01:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Honestly I'm not level 50 yet and I'm feeling that GW2 did dynamic events better even if certain runs (Plinx, Penitent) were a bit too popular.

Not once since I created my character in a FATE have I felt that I could possibly be killed. Not once. Everything is so facerollingly easy, especially the item turn-ins where 4-5 items handed in can get you a Gold medal without even engaging a mob. Cmon. Half the times I get bored of the FATE, hit some mobs for credit and just move on.

Even in GW2 you had dynamic events where trying to solo would put your *** into the ground. Battles where you had formidable foes in lowbie zones no less. XIV may have dungeon difficulty tweaked properly but the overworld events are a joke.

Not sure what level you are, but there's boss FATEs that you absolutely can not solo.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-09-04 01:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Are those trees still around in Gridania? Go try and solo that. Or just running near it would suffice.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-09-04 01:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Vitaru said: »
It's a fun game, but too easy for my taste. However this might change in the future or later on, my beefs with the game are:

- The normal mobs have no unique AI, meaning that fighting a rabbit or fighting a dinosaur doesn't matter, just spam the ***out of it. And knowing their special moves to play strategically doesn't exist and doesn't matter even.

A tree slug does not act like a Raptor :< Tree slugs will also *** your world if you get hit by aqua discharge too many times, and worse if you get more slugs.

Silence,paralysis,petrification,and all the other not nice moves are ***. DoTs make your life as either a healer or a tank a living hell.
and as for enfeebles asted BY you not meaning anything, sorry...you havent experienced how crippling SMN can be with Fester. shits outrageous. Also, Silence is a MUST on some things and slows from LNC/PUG are debilitating.

You're slowing the party down quite a bit unless you're a SCH, CNJ is meant to Aero I/II and stone for the debuffs while the HP is temporarily full.

I've pulled hate pff the majority of the shitty tanks on Balmung...and then you instantly die because 1) The CNJ or ACN int curing for ***and 2) the GLA/MRD/WAR/PLD cant get hate off you because they suck.
Doing it completely wrong then.

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Are those trees still around in Gridania? Go try and solo that. Or just running near it would suffice.

The dyrad boss fate in falgourd is a *** ;A;
[+]
By Aris 2013-09-04 01:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I guess I forgot to think about the social aspect. Duty Finder alone does a lot of damage in that respect

But you also have to remember, that a lot of that is pre-cursor to end-game, as they have stated is a "build-up" and it also forces you to be comfortable playing with people you're unfamiliar with, which comes in handy for having to get a 24 man group together for the larger raids, and may be outside of people's bubble or whatever you want to call their introversion, but at the same time gives you the option to group with a couple of friends, or LS mates to quickly engage in a dungeon.

All that being said though, it does suck that you aren't necessarily (more often than naught) playing with people on your server, so you can't build social bonds with them, as in "oh hey you're really good join my LS" or "damn that was a good player, I should friend them and get them to join my LS"

It's give and take I suppose, but as long as they don't make duty finder do real end-game content cross server I'll be happy
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-04 01:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Not sure what level you are, but there's boss FATEs that you absolutely can not solo.

In the late 30s and the only FATE I've run into where I actually got to have some fun with a small group was a Bird NM in the Shroud. The issue with that one involved people falling to their deaths off his perch trying to run away from him. Perhaps things take off in the 40s? Most of my FATE experiences have been summed up as:

-Fate circle pops
-Run to circle
-Things are getting AOE roflstomped
-Tag 'n bag 4-5 mobs
-Move on

NM Fates get wailed on and downed even faster barring some of the reward NMs like that Rafflesia that gives you a minion if you Gold it. Honestly if you aren't near a FATE when it starts, there is a good chance you won't be able to tag enough things to rank. It's an issue if I'm more worried about tagging mobs than being defeated in an overworld event.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2013-09-04 01:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »

A tree slug does not act like a Raptor :< Tree slugs will also *** your world if you get hit by aqua discharge too many times, and worse if you get more slugs.

Silence,paralysis,petrification,and all the other not nice moves are ***. DoTs make your life as either a healer or a tank a living hell.

You're slowing the party down quite a bit unless you're a SCH, CNJ is meant to Aero I/II and stone for the debuffs while the HP is temporarily full.

I've pulled hate pff the majority of the shitty tanks on Balmung...and then you instantly die because 1) The CNJ or ACN int curing for ***and 2) the GLA/MRD/WAR/PLD cant get hate off you because they suck.

My bad I was comparing the difficulty with FFXI not with WOW, perhaps I didn't make it clear.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-09-04 01:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of FATEs are painfully overcrowded, especially in the more popular areas where FATE grinding is a thing. I'm in the low 40s where the popular spot is Camp Dragonhead and I just avoid them for the very same reasons you give.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-09-04 01:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad I was comparing the difficulty with FFXI not with WOW, perhaps I didn't make it clear.
Even so, XI isnt even that difficult. The only problem with XI is if you dont have the ubergearz and the knowledge of what NMs do you lose simply on that. XIV is understanding the mob archetype,what they do, what you need to do, and then responding to that along with what party members are doing. I always like seeing people play this to level 10 and be like "this is WoWtarded!" when they havent gotten to ifrit, haukke, or brayflox yet. 50 content is kinda challenging on your first go.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-04 01:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
A lot of FATEs are painfully overcrowded, especially in the more popular areas where FATE grinding is a thing. I'm in the low 40s where the popular spot is Camp Dragonhead and I just avoid them for the very same reasons you give.

I was reading the flavor text for Bubbly Bernie and the event ended before I could even finish reading the sentences. lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-09-04 01:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

No EXP parties also really bothers me.

I'm not looking for some XI-style slowburn *** but at the least grabbing 3 other people and vaporizing monsters to get some EXP to level up would be nice. It gives me an excuse to group with randoms, potentially make more friends, enjoy some EXP without having to FATE grind or quest and doubles as a therapeutic exercise.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-09-04 01:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

What server are ya on Sparth?
[+]
 Odin.Hirokei
Server: Odin
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2013-09-04 01:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

What in XI is so hard?
[+]
By volkom 2013-09-04 01:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You can exp grind. Its just slower than doing quests/fates if you can't hold an uber chain
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8