FFXIAH Linkshell Ni
First Page 2 3 ... 16998 16999 17000 ... 18549 18550 18551
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-25 13:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda want to go to the magical land called what Mag thought teaching was going to be like...

YouTube Video Placeholder

/skips away to go pump more water out of a basement
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-25 13:27:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I am planning a trip to Poland next year! /begrudgingly gets a passport

picking out a wife from there?

I hear the one's with those huge wasp nests on the back of their arms give good back rubs...
How did you... I mean uhhhhhhh..... going to see the family roots and such!
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-11-25 13:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Mag, do you have the option of removing the disruptive ones from the class? May as well keep those detention and expulsion slips written up for the ones who are consistently disruptive.
Do you think that teachers can just... "I don't like you kid... get out of my class and don't come back!"?

It takes a lot to expel someone too...

In any case it doesn't erase the problem... The job is to teach the kids not give them detentions and keep your trigger finger on the expulsion button because you can't handle it lol...

I'm talking about expulsion from class for the remainder of the period. :/

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
Mag, do you have the option of removing the disruptive ones from the class? May as well keep those detention and expulsion slips written up for the ones who are consistently disruptive.

those are the ones who need help the most.
Is it the role of schools to help troubled children, or provide a minimum level of education?

What is the goal of the school? Why does it exist?

It may be a more authoritarian approach, but why subject those who are eager to learn, have initiative, and foresight to constant disruptions by those who don't?

I remember when students (it was only two I can recall, a Pentecostal and a Baptist) who took exception to evolution would make their objections known, our teacher opened the floor for debate. If they threatened to walk-out, they were reminded that it would reflect on their participation grade for the day and every successive day that they weren't in class. They were also gently reminded that it would most likely reflect on their quizzes and tests.

Then again, Mag's in a Section Eight school, so...

EDIT: Consequences. Just saying...
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-11-25 13:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is, I've tried appealing to them. Telling them that their grades in here will make a difference. My 9/10 classes are a huge privilege; in lieu of this, they'd have to take Freshman and Sophomore English this year and in the summer. This chunks it all in one convenient spot. The problem is, there's no buy-in for many of these kids. I do have kids who do care, and they'll do the work I put before them. The rest... no matter what I do; no matter how fun I make it or how impassioned I am with the content, they just don't care about it. They walk all over me and getting them to just sit still in their desks is a full time job. I want to teach them. I want to get them to learn the subject. Instead though, they just don't care. And maybe it is me. Maybe I'm just a shitty teacher. I don't know.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-11-25 13:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

WTF PHONE

suddenly decided to receive text's....

from saturday

on a tuesday.

yes phone, I would have liked to play SMASH with Meshi on a Saturday!

>:(
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-11-25 13:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Is it the role of schools to help troubled children, or provide a minimum level of education?

What is the goal of the school? Why does it exist?

I would say to provide a minimum level of education. The parents are really going to be the deciding factor of a child's success or failure, most of the time.

that's not to say that a teacher can't get a wayward child engaged, & shouldn't try from time-to-time, but to use those situations as the bar for success may be a failed endeavor, me thinks.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-11-25 14:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It may be a more authoritarian approach, but why subject those who are eager to learn, have initiative, and foresight to constant disruptions by those who don't?

they should be separated from the derps, imo.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-11-25 14:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
The problem is, I've tried appealing to them. Telling them that their grades in here will make a difference. My 9/10 classes are a huge privilege; in lieu of this, they'd have to take Freshman and Sophomore English this year and in the summer. This chunks it all in one convenient spot. The problem is, there's no buy-in for many of these kids. I do have kids who do care, and they'll do the work I put before them. The rest... no matter what I do; no matter how fun I make it or how impassioned I am with the content, they just don't care about it. They walk all over me and getting them to just sit still in their desks is a full time job. I want to teach them. I want to get them to learn the subject. Instead though, they just don't care. And maybe it is me. Maybe I'm just a shitty teacher. I don't know.

you're a *** first year teacher, learn to be more of a hard ***. the most serious and 'don't *** around' teacher i ever had in high school was also my favorite. be firm, positive reinforcement, don't be their *** friend, and keep being yourself. don't talk about women or weight loss. focus on the subject matter.

you're a good person, and a smart guy. you're just new and you want them to like you. i know that wont change the school's shitty policies that make you wanna leave the school, but it's up to you how the classroom works and it's how you act that determines what level of respect the kids give you.

remember, they are stupid *** kids. take advantage of that fact.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-11-25 14:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

And maybe it is me. Maybe I'm just a shitty teacher. I don't know.

nope. I was one of those students. not disruptive at all, but a attendance rate of 50% or so. it's all at their home, & there probably isn't anything that can be done.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 14:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

they should be separated from the derps, imo.
Derps were the most entertaining though. Always good for a laugh.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-11-25 14:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

our freshman science teacher had a sheet that you had to write on when you were late, with the reason why. big mistake. a friend and I that took the class during different periods starting competing for funny excuses full of outlandish ***. good times were had by all (us anyway). one time coffee shot out of my nose from reading "I saw mommy kissing santa clause"
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 14:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

our freshman science teacher had a sheet that you had to write on when you were late, with the reason why. big mistake. a friend and I that took the class during different periods starting competing for funny excuses full of outlandish ***. good times were had by all (us anyway). one time coffee shot out of my nose from reading "I saw mommy kissing santa clause"
We had a first year freshman science teacher that everybody ended up acting up with too.

One of the funniest memories was starting fires in the sinks during labs when fire or anything that would cause it wasn't related to the experiment we were doing.

This room had the desks up front and lab stations in the back with an exit in back. During nice weather he would have the door open, so a bunch of us would have races to sneak out without getting caught.

High school was some seriously funny ***.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2014-11-25 14:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
WTF PHONE

suddenly decided to receive text's....

from saturday

on a tuesday.

yes phone, I would have liked to play SMASH with Meshi on a Saturday!

>:(
That explains it lol. I assumed you were away and just letting your amiibos level up.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-25 14:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

We had a teacher that used to come in hammered and then told everyone to read a paragraph from the book out loud then move to the next person as he took a nap. This was after he played his meditation music and such lol...
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-11-25 14:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

High school was some seriously funny ***.

lol, you make good points. that same lady was struck by lightning 2 different times, & was a little off. so if I'm wrong about everything I believe & end up in hell, it'll be for picking on her, assuredly.

we named the baby pig we dissected "kevin bacon"
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-25 14:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo, manners should be taught at home. Then again some people grow up in shitty environments...but anyway.
If it were me, if a kid is disruptive in class, he gets one warning, then he leaves, rules have to be enforced or it's anarchy. If it keeps happening you can try to talk to them in private, if still no go maybe talk to the parents(or whoever is the tutor)and warn them he's going the wrong direction, hoping they'll set him straight. If nothing works, well, an individual is free to make his own choices, including shitty ones, he'll deal with the scholastic consequences the hard way.

As for just raising interest, keeping attention, and making them do homework...well, the teacher here plays a bigger role. If you're a bore no one's going to listen. However, let's not forget that different people have different taste and some can just not like that subject and thus not put much effort into it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-25 14:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you allowed to do discipline wise?

My policy with dealing with obnoxious teens has been to treat them like the age level they are acting.

E.g. If they are acting like 5 year olds, send them to the farthest corner of class for a time out, facing away.

Public shaming can be a very effective tool. However, there is a fine line between teaching a lesson while using their peers to emphasize the point and turning into a giant douchebag.

Good luck.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-11-25 14:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

we named the baby pig we dissected "kevin bacon"
Lame!
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-11-25 14:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the situation was not precisly described to us I will give a more general approach.
Talk with other teachers of the class to do the following:
-check wehther your problems with a child are the same
-identify the differences (behaviour of children change depending on the present authority person)
-check the reasons for the differences (marks are an indicator if a child simply favours a subject)

If the child is good in a certain cluster of subjects the problem other areas are most likely:
-uncertainty, general weakness in that area, authority problems with a single teacher
=> this is all solvable by teaching methods, ask the teacher of the good areas what they do with this child and try t copy it

If the child is bad in all areas the problem (not the fault) is with the child
-check the influence of the child on the rest of the class
if the influence is minor the child needs your help and ability of a teacher to solve its problem with school
-depending on the problem (personality, environment of its daily school routine (mobbing ect.), lack of structure after school (homework plan, club activity)) act according to the pedagogy teachings from university
if the influence is big it's pulling down the motivation of the whole class
just in these cases the use of hard authority methods should be applied
0)put the seat of the child in front of your desk
1)contact the parents via the book for homeworks and let them sign the received message
This shows the child that your authority reaches past the schoolgate and effects the childs free time (the biggest impact for slight trouble kids)
2) call the parents to school, you will get a picture of private problems of the child which will help in your pedagogical analysis
If that doesn't help the parents lost the battle of raising the child
3) talk with the child and reach an agreement to seperate private problem with school problems
4)sever the influence of the child on the class
-pick on it with extra tasks
-public display of inability/lack of knowledge
=> in rare cases the isolation opens them up for help
5) contact the parents again and suggest they get in contact with a social worker (don't know the american term or if those exist in America, Zahrah might be able to help you with the term if you're clueless to its meaning)

You are not the parent, you're not raising the child nor are you able to. If the child is lost after all the steps the problem lied with point 2 and only point 5 can help in these cases. Your priority in these really rare cases is the educational survival of the rest of the class.
If the case isn't rare but common in your classes it might be due to American ghettos (I have no first hand experience of such areas, they do not exist here in Germany) or you will have to question yourself and need more help by other experienced teachers (maybe from outside of your school via a teacher network) to shape you up. You just started this career after all.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-11-25 14:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was a shitty student as well

siting in math class, playing pokemon or drawing on my notebook.
same class, teacher would make us do some exercise on their scientific calculator.
My Casio calculator would be damn faster and simpler in getting same results. I would use mine.
made up my final math presentation, on the spot.

browse the net on computer class.
not pay attenntion to class, do my own ***.
(funny side story. playing around in MSpaint, girl looks at my computer, back at hers. back at mine, back and hers... she asks... "why isn't my computer showing that?")
written assignment on how to use a word processor? 1 paragraph. copy paste it for 2 pages.

basically, students will get away with what they can and are allowed to.

thrust no one, all of them are evil slackers.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 14:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Since the situation was not precisly described to us I will give a more general approach.
Talk with other teachers of the class to do the following:
-check wehther your problems with a child are the same
-identify the differences (behaviour of children change depending on the present authority person)
-check the reasons for the differences (marks are an indicator if a child simply favours a subject)

If the child is good in a certain cluster of subjects the problem other areas are most likely:
-uncertainty, general weakness in that area, authority problems with a single teacher
=> this is all solvable by teaching methods, ask the teacher of the good areas what they do with this child and try t copy it

If the child is bad in all areas the problem (not the fault) is with the child
-check the influence of the child on the rest of the class
if the influence is minor the child needs your help and ability of a teacher to solve its problem with school
-depending on the problem (personality, environment of its daily school routine (mobbing ect.), lack of structure after school (homework plan, club activity)) act according to the pedagogy teachings from university
if the influence is big it's pulling down the motivation of the whole class
just in these cases the use of hard authority methods should be applied
0)put the seat of the child in front of your desk
1)contact the parents via the book for homeworks and let them sign the received message
This shows the child that your authority reaches past the schoolgate and effects the childs free time (the biggest impact for slight trouble kids)
2) call the parents to school, you will get a picture of private problems of the child which will help in your pedagogical analysis
If that doesn't help the parents lost the battle of raising the child
3) talk with the child and reach an agreement to seperate private problem with school problems
4)sever the influence of the child on the class
-pick on it with extra tasks
-public display of inability/lack of knowledge
=> in rare cases the isolation opens them up for help
5) contact the parents again and suggest they get in contact with a social worker (don't know the american term or if those exist in America, Zahrah might be able to help you with the term if you're clueless to its meaning)

You are not the parent, you're not raising the child nor are you able to. If the child is lost after all the steps the problem lied with point 2 and only point 5 can help in these cases. Your priority in these really rare cases is the educational survival of the rest of the class.
If the case isn't rare but common in your classes it might be due to American ghettos (I have no first hand experience of such areas, they do not exist here in Germany) or you will have to question yourself and need more help by other experienced teachers (maybe from outside of your school via a teacher network) to shape you up. You just started this career after all.
That seems like a lot of work.

Bismarck.Misao said: »
made up my final math presentation, on the spot.
That was also a fun thing to do. You could tell who was making up stuff on the fly. Good times.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-11-25 14:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a B on my presentation
statistics class.
wrote random numbers, made sure they added up.
gave a BS presentation afterwards.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-11-25 15:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we're doing fun story swaps, our AP English teacher was a damn space cadet. I seriously think he rolled a blunt every morning before coming to school, just a guess.

We had independent reads of our choice from selections off the AP Lit recommendations that we had to turn in every six weeks. Well, some of us started noticing that you could swap your essays, tweek them to make them your own, and he didn't know the difference. So, the second semester, that became the norm.

I remember getting a GOD DAMN "B" for my lit analysis essay on Kafka's 'Metamorphosis' the first semester. My buddy turn my paper in, NO TWEEKING, same damn paper, in the 5/6 six week period and he received a *** "A".

It's funny now, but I was so pissed! So pissed!
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-11-25 15:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny. I've never read anything from Kafka, and yet all I hear from him is how things are "Kafkaesque". That adjective is more popular than his works, I fear.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-25 15:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Funnily enough, when you wrote this:
Since we're doing fun story swaps, our AP English teacher was a damn space cadet.
I was sitting there going wow, that's awesome! I was not expecting the next line to be this:
I seriously think he rolled a blunt every morning before coming to school, just a guess.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-11-25 15:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Just our suspicion at the time. There was no telling with that guy. Some days he would just forget he assigned us anything at all. He was probably the weirdest teacher I ever had.

EDIT: Well, speaking of being "spacey", I didn't think you took "space cadet" in the literal sense. LOL!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 15:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That was like our US History I teacher. Everyone went around saying he was an avid stoner. I think I kinda proved it with my unique 'essays.'
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-11-25 15:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That was like our US History I teacher. Everyone went around saying he was an avid stoner. I think I kinda proved it with my unique 'essays.'

I read your post a week or two back with your old, HS essay. Cracked me up!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-25 15:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I read your post a week or two back with your old, HS essay. Cracked me up!
I usually got B's on them too. I think they took points off for grammar mistakes.

75 is still good though, lol.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-11-25 15:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I was grounded a day per "B" I brought home on report cards, so receiving a "B" on a paper sent me into little conniption fits. LOL!

UNACCEPTABLE!!!

EDIT: Won't be taking that approach later.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16998 16999 17000 ... 18549 18550 18551