By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 10:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all the same ***, man.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 10:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
It's all the same ***, man.

I think the ***was different; the results are just much the same.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-10-21 11:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

*Stretch*

i love flex time. only have to work a half day today. i start my new position next week so i'm taking time off and half days to celebrate and lax my way into the new training.

how's everyone else doing?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »

what out.

good to hear corporate life is going well. I am good. not much brewing here today, that half-day is sounding pretty tempting...
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-21 11:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
You ain't cool unless you pee your pants!

What the hell are we today?

I don't know. I think I reverted to my ten-year-old self though.

Wasn't sayin' bad things about the 90s.

Just like...wow. What the hell was even happening?

Maybe I'll roll that thought through my head while enjoying a can of JOSTA.

Oh, we know. LOL!

I think the overall carefree, frivolity of comedy in the 90's was a sign of the times maybe? Movies of any genera seem more cynical now. Then again, those rose-colored glasses of childhood.

Kind of related, but we had my nephew over for the weekend and he mentioned that he wanted to be in the army. He's six. Ze lovebug and I kind of went silent. I think we were both mulling over how we could explain the past almost fifteen years of conflict in the Middle-East to him.

He talked about my dad being in the army, and I impulsively snapped, "Grandpa didn't go to war. He had fun across Europe and pushed papers later!" We've had a couple of buddies who served in Iraq, so I got a little touchy. I had to recover with, "You probably won't want to be in the military when you're older."
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My eldest daughter has said that once or twice. idk why. I think it might have something to do with seeing my cousin in uniform while she was growing up.

I neither encouraged her, nor discouraged her.

she's a little young for anything to stick, imo.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 11:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Kind of related, but we had my nephew over for the weekend and he mentioned that he wanted to be in the army. He's six. Ze lovebug and I kind of went silent. I think we were both mulling over how we could explain the past almost fifteen years of conflict in the Middle-East to him.

He talked about my dad being in the army, and I impulsively snapped, "Grandpa didn't go to war. He had fun across Europe and pushed papers later!" We've had a couple of buddies who served in Iraq, so I got a little touchy. I had to recover with, "You probably won't want to be in the military when you're older."

Such mixed feelings about the military. I feel legitimately bad that I never served, but at the same time...I would have been terrible in the service at that age, and given everything that's happened (I graduated high school in 2000), I'd be lucky if I weren't still getting recalled. And hell...I don't know if I'd have ever done well in the military. I'm too idealistic/principled and I tend to not mix well with the "type" of guy that usually goes into the military.

And yeah. Have had one high school buddy get killed in Afghanistan and several friends and family serve/still serving.

Can't say I'd really care to see any more doing so.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-21 11:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with you. They'll put the puzzle pieces together eventually.

Ugh! I'm think I really want to pull the trigger on getting a pup for Christmas for the boy. I've been pushing it away for practical purposes, but...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-21 11:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does having a couple buddies that served in Iraq make the subject a touchy one for you?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 11:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Why does having a couple buddies that served in Iraq make the subject a touchy one for you?

Why do you look for reasons to pick apart everything anyone says ever? :p

[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not easy to encourage your offspring to pursue a career in which you've seen family & friends die & come home all *** up from.

It's a calculable risk, but a little more pronounced when you've seen it first hand.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-21 11:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a simple question. It makes no sense to me. People ask questions when that happens. If it's that easy to pick apart by asking a simple question then the whole thing is pretty ridiculous in the first place...
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-10-21 11:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »

what out.

good to hear corporate life is going well. I am good. not much brewing here today, that half-day is sounding pretty tempting...

right? anytime you can slack off with no consequences is perfection. glad to hear you're doing well. might have some drinks today since no work tomorrow. for whatever reason i was just like bleh for drinking.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-21 11:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to file this one under "Nunya!"
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-21 11:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

it's not easy to encourage your offspring to pursue a career in which you've seen family & friends die & come home all *** up from.

It's a calculable risk, but a little more pronounced when you've seen it first hand.
Is that why she's touchy? Her friends that were deployed came back either dead or *** up in some way?

All the people I know in the military are all doing well so maybe it's hard for me to default into the whole everyone in the military gets dead or *** up in some way.

Besides that the kids only 6...
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 11:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a simple question. It makes no sense to me. People ask questions when that happens. If it's that easy to pick apart by asking a simple question then the whole thing is pretty ridiculous in the first place...

It's relatively obvious that there's more to it, that she's heard stories from these friends, or has seen negative changes in them, or some other aspect. But anyone with even a mild capability of inference can readily understand that.

You're not picking apart the argument, you're just poking to poke.

Edit: that or you're really that concrete in your thinking. I'm often struck by how many people on this forum seem to completely and utterly lack any capability of abstract thought.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2014-10-21 11:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

lol he's being flavin.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 11:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

All the people I know in the military are all doing well so maybe it's hard for me to default into the whole everyone in the military gets dead or *** up in some way.

How many friends have you had from before they were in the military and then maintained that friendship with them thereafter?

I'm not speaking for the family I have that are commissioned officers, because they're a little different.

But just about all the enlisted folks I know -- some good friends -- have come back different, and not really in a good way. Even if they didn't see combat and served in a mild capacity. The military definitely changes most people. For some people that change is positive...

...but, in my eyes at least, it's seldom been so among the people I know.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-21 11:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's relatively obvious that there's more to it, that she's heard stories from these friends, or has seen negative changes in them, or some other aspect. But anyone with even a mild capability of inference can readily understand that.

You're not picking apart the argument, you're just poking to poke.
It's not that obvious... People have very different views of the military and different experiences with it. This is just you projecting your own views on the situation and then mixing your own experiences with me into it.

For all you know those friends could be alive and well functioning in the army or back wherever they went after their term ended like all the people I know. Not everything in the military ends in tradgedy and not everyone is suffering from PTSD or whatever other ailment that someone might come away with.

You're like those guys in the bad mom thread getting outraged over nothing.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that why she's touchy? Her friends that were deployed came back either dead or *** up in some way?

I have no idea, I was just making a guess based on ***I've seen. all the chair force guys I know are doing just fine. depends on the branch I suppose. We lost a lot of people over there. not to mention the gross numbers of injured that were largely under-emphasized, & are now being poorly taken care of. I don't know any percentages on how many people came back hurt, or didn't come back at all, but I know / knew a few.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-21 11:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

*** about people unloading personal crap on here. Prods for more personal crap to *** about personal crap being revealed?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 11:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that obvious... People have very different views of the military and different experiences with it. This is just you projecting your own views on the situation and then mixing your own experiences with me into it.

For all you know those friends could be alive and well functioning in the army or back wherever they went after their term ended like all the people I know. Not everything in the military ends in tradgedy and not everyone is suffering from PTSD or whatever other ailment that someone might come away with.

You're like those guys in the bad mom thread getting outraged over nothing.

K.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll get personal all over this mf'er.

I"LL POST THAT PIC OF THE DEATH FRIDGE< I SWEAR TO GOD< I"LL DO IT!!!!

it's actually kind of funny, it's got horns now for some reason.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-21 11:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

How many friends have you had from before they were in the military and then maintained that friendship with them thereafter?

I'm not speaking for the family I have that are commissioned officers, because they're a little different.

But just about all the enlisted folks I know -- some good friends -- have come back different, and not really in a good way. Even if they didn't see combat and served in a mild capacity. The military definitely changes most people. For some people that change is positive...

...but, in my eyes at least, it's seldom been so among the people I know.
I have an enlisted buddy in the military right now... he's been deployed to Iraq and been in the military for 9 or so years now... he's had three kids in that time still happily married to his wife and he's still the same ol guy as he was back in the day.

I have a family friend who's an Army captain and has been deployed multiple times and again has a family and is the same guy I've known all my life...

I have two other friends in the airforce that are the same guys too... As far as I know they only spent about 6 months over in Iraq but yeah...

One of my cousins was in the marines too... no real problems there either...

There's plenty of other people too...

Maybe I just got lucky or something but just because you're in the military or have been deployed to Iraq doesn't mean when you get back that everyone should assume and look at you as damaged... I'm not saying some people don't come back different but it's not a death sentance or a guarantee that if you join the military that you're all of a sudden damaged when you get back.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-21 11:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

HA! Someone took liberties with the frige before you did! That's great!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-21 11:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying some people don't come back different but it's not a death sentance or a guarantee that if you join the military that you're all of a sudden damaged when you get back.

Soooo...it's cool for a mom to freak out about an inappropriate action figure in a story, but if a mom worries about her child joining the military and dying or coming back physically or emotionally crippled, it's an overgeneralization and applying your own personal experiences/bias to a situation.

Word.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:50:54
Link | Quote | Reply

not very big horns, I'd have let the little *** live another year or two, but I guess I quit hunting 15 years ago, so that's really neither here nor there.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-21 11:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

*** about people unloading personal crap on here. Prods for more personal crap to *** about personal crap being revealed?
You mean Magnus' *** fest about his job?

I didn't *** about him unloading personal crap. I unloaded on him for one minute talking about how noble and great he would be at his new profession then practically giving up two seconds in to it...

I don't need you to post any personal information about whatever it is that you're talking about nor am I prodding lol... I don't need to know what anyone went through nor do I want to particularly... When you say something like We know people so this makes me touchy! and I ask why it would that's all it is...

Jesus... all butt hurt over a simple question...
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-10-21 11:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really worried I'm going to die in an airplane crash.

/unloadspersoninformationfornoreason
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-21 11:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my nephew, but yeah...Definitely going to nip that idea in the butt if it ever ends up rolling through the bambino's head and the circumstances abroad are still the same.

Anyhow, stinkbomb frige has made a pact with Satan?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16921 16922 16923 ... 18549 18550 18551