Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-23 15:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
I didn't want to blabber about this in the ACA thread, but would anyone here put their kids in homeschool? :/

I think it takes away from socialization.
people suck?

actually I've been looking into this:

http://www.k12.com/

they have private and public options.

She has 2 cousins within 2 months of her age, and more within 2-3 years. Not to mention that I plan to still enroll her in some other activities.

The mother is more worried about that than I am though, but she frets about everything, even more than a normal mother would, I keep telling her to go see a damn shrink... /siderant

Wasn't specifically talking about you or your situation. It just brought up the thought.

I could see it working, provided they are involved in other activities in which they engage with kids outside of the familial sphere.

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Some of the most important aspects of education is the fun and tradition involved with it. It reminds students that they're allowed to be goofballs from time to time, and that's not to say that they can't have fun at home, but some of those organized social events like homecoming and clubs and proms are necessary.

Now let's say you have someone who abstains from those activities (like yours truly). It allows them a chance to learn a hard lesson about being social that they'll rely on later on in life. Either that or it will just cause them to abhor social situations, but homeschooling wouldn't alter that either.

The lessons in teamwork, compromise, ect. in various clubs and extracurricular is important, I think. You have to learn to confront, adapt and/or overcome different situations and people at a very basic level also.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-23 15:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I changed my mind. I don't wanna be a teacher.

Is it to late to switch to ballet?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-07-23 16:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

get up on your tippy toes & start working those calves, big guy.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-23 16:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You should become a circus ringmaster!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-23 16:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

How would you participate in hands-on labwork? Labgroups were fun too.

I don't think I could opt-in to homeschooling either, Mos.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-23 16:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You should become a circus ringmaster!
Alas, my mustache isn't grandiose enough...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-23 16:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't figure, but figured I'd give my thoughts/arguments on it so far :P
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-23 16:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I didn't want to blabber about this in the ACA thread, but would anyone here put their kids in homeschool? :/

there are valid reasons senorita.
For example some friends of mine have 3 boys and Noah is a soccer coach, meaning he's always gone like 4pm to 10pm weeknights and would almost never see them. So elise and him are home schooling so he gets to spend a lot more time with them.

Here, it's mostly evangelical loons who want to close off their children from the rest of the world who opt to do homeschooling.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-23 16:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't figure
Uh huh...

but figured
Orly...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-23 16:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You almost got a + Mag, almost.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-07-23 16:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, LOLHOPO, but I read this last night. :/

EDIT: I'm also becoming very cynical about Texas's chance to switch hands in the gubernatorial election.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-07-23 16:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, LOLHOPO, but I read this last night. :/

EDIT: I'm also becoming very cynical about Texas's chance to switch hands in the gubernatorial election.

you can do whatever the *** you want, as long as you have plenty of $$$.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-07-23 16:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Looks like he got two

One could infer that I meant "from me" I didn't find it necessary to emphasize, but apparently it was necessary.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-23 16:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

4 of my cousins were homeschooled. Granted it was more of a small community type thing like 20-40 kids (I forget exactly) of all ages (my cousins have about 10 years between em) and different parents in the community taught different things... I think this is how it worked... I could follow up and ask again. One has already graduated from college and is getting his masters and is wading his way through the filth that is DC politics and the other in college is an engineering major... The oldest is a little akward but I mean no more than any nerdy kid but he's very well spoken and socialble.

The other one is pretty normal. Both pretty bright... the two youngest girls are very normal too if not a little too overactive lol...

I know the knee jerk reaction is to think homeschooled kids are hiden away and lack social skills but its usually not the case in my experience. There's other kids in the neighborhood and many of them seem to be very involved in their communities.

I always thought they were a bit naive when younger but hell I was extremely naive growing up lol... ahhh looking back lol...

tldr? If you're worried about missing out on the social aspect just get them involved in the community. They have sports you can enroll them in and volunteering at local community centers and what not. there's lots of programs around.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-23 16:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the most important aspects of education is the fun and tradition involved with it. It reminds students that they're allowed to be goofballs from time to time, and that's not to say that they can't have fun at home, but some of those organized social events like homecoming and clubs and proms are necessary.

Now let's say you have someone who abstains from those activities (like yours truly). It allows them a chance to learn a hard lesson about being social that they'll rely on later on in life. Either that or it will just cause them to abhor social situations, but homeschooling wouldn't alter that either.
I disagree with just about everything you said there...
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-07-23 23:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to the grindstone, ladies and gents. Know that I'll always have that crotchety Ni-er deep inside me as I suffer through new hire meetings.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-07-24 00:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Until next summer, my friend.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-24 08:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Until next summer, my friend.

/salute

it would be funny if after twelve years of college mag starts his first year of teaching... but no students show up for class because hoppy's comments created a groundswell of support for homeschooling...

/tumbleweed blows across mag's classroom

<cricket sound>

don't sell the bike shop just yet orville!...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-24 08:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

eh... people still work or just don't want their kids around for 10 hours a day so I'm sure his position will eb safe... for now!!!!!

Education tubes are still in the works...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-24 09:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

the greatest moment comes right after you finish paying your $4,500 bill in property taxes and your kid comes home from school and you say. So...what did you guys learn about in school today?

and they say
that's some money well spent right there I tell ya...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-24 09:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

and speaking of finding a better way of teaching our childrens teh stuffs... how far away are we from the direct download?

"I know kung fu"

did anyone else watch the Matrix and wonder why they didn't download some acting lessons to keanu reeves first?

<warpy matrix brain download noise> they had the port installed already... maybe it was in that pile of disk drives dozer skipped over...

the movie would have been more believable if when he jumped out of the chair he had some talent... other than getting his *** kicked at high speed by whatshisname... the guy that does the car commercials now..

is samuel l jackson upset he didn't take that roll?

I wonder how many people think that is SLJ? ***he is in every other damn movie ever made...

I'm going to yell "I loved you in the matrix" the next time I see him
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-24 09:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Its part of my plan to recruit more mennonites into the fold...

Get them as dumb as possible then shine flashy things in their face while I chloroform them and then take them to my compoun... place of worship! so they can be re educated... live on as soldiers of the mennonite way!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-24 09:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
and speaking of finding a better way of teaching our childrens teh stuffs... how far away are we from the direct download?

"I know kung fu"

did anyone else watch the Matrix and wonder why they didn't download some acting lessons to keanu reeves first?

<warpy matrix brain download noise> they had the port installed already... maybe it was in that pile of disk drives dozer skipped over...

the movie would have been more believable if when he jumped out of the chair he had some talent... other than getting his *** kicked at high speed by whatshisname... the guy that does the car commercials now..

is samuel l jackson upset he didn't take that roll?

I wonder how many people think that is SLJ? ***he is in every other damn movie ever made...

I'm going to yell "I loved you in the matrix" the next time I see him
Right now I just put em in a tube and crank up the volume on whatever I want to teach them atm... if they try to fall asleep they get stabbed in the arm... the more times they fall asleep the bigger the needle...

I turn it down two notches for when they go to sleep... immersion!!!
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-24 09:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

for you? Yes..
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-24 09:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »

there are valid reasons senorita.
For example some friends of mine have 3 boys and Noah is a soccer coach, meaning he's always gone like 4pm to 10pm weeknights and would almost never see them. So elise and him are home schooling so he gets to spend a lot more time with them.
So basically you're "valid reasons" have nothing to do with the education or development of the child and instead is just some dad that wants to sped some time with his kids?

Is he qualified to teach them anything? I mean I think it's great that a parent actually wants to sped time with his kids but...

There's always the weekend... you're just going to get tired of them anyways... and why does this guy only work like 5-6 hours a day?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-07-24 09:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

morning suckas.

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
for you? Yes..

this comment is a day late & a dollar short, he's moved on to better things, hombre.

how far away are we from the direct download?

we should really get on that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-07-24 09:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

morning suckas.

for you? Yes..

this comment is a day late & a dollar short, he's moved on to better things, hombre.

how far away are we from the direct download?

we should really get on that.
IDC! I saw it today and I said it so deal with it!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-07-24 09:50:54
Link | Quote | Reply

morning suckas.

for you? Yes..

IDC! I saw it today and I said it so deal with it!

Yeah I have to give sugar britches the points for backreading.

at least he didn't wander in here and start donnie~ing
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 16759 16760 16761 ... 18549 18550 18551