Why Do MNKs Today Use Omodaka Gote?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Why do MNKs today use Omodaka Gote?
Why do MNKs today use Omodaka Gote?
By Felgarr 2013-07-12 14:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't find the best reason why MNKs are using this item: Omodaka Gote. (instead of say AF2+2)?

Is it strictly a Shijin Spiral WS piece?

(If someone can show me the BB code to include the item in this post, I would greatly appreciate it).

Thank you.

-Fel

EDIT: AF2+2, not AF3+2, sorry.
 Lakshmi.Toioiz
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Toioiz
By Lakshmi.Toioiz 2013-07-12 14:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

They use it because it's the 4% haste gloves, that you need to get rid of your black belt (for the multi-attack or accuracy belt), and still cap haste.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-07-12 14:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Omodaka gote allows you to use windbuffet belt = increase your DPS on tp phase. There are better options but omodaka is free and low mannable.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-07-12 14:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

And the only AFv3+2 you would use now is the body in an impetus set.
By Felgarr 2013-07-12 14:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Omodaka gote allows you to use windbuffet belt = increase your DPS on tp phase. There are better options but omodaka is free and low mannable.

That 1 item allows you to replace BB with Windbuffet belt? Really? Are there any other pieces included in this trade off?

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
And the only AFv3+2 you would use now is the body in an impetus set.

Sorry, typo. I meant AF2+2 (for Acc+/Atk+).
By Gunblaze 2013-07-12 14:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Only alternatives would be Tenryu +1, Miodio, or Brego. Out of those 3, Brego would probably be the easiest to obtain. Now compare Brego to Omodaka and tell me which one looks more stylish.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2013-07-12 15:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Think you need Usu head/feet +1 in there as well to be able to use windbuffet belt for tp.
[+]
By LakshmiArtemas 2013-07-12 15:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, it's a nice acc/haste piece for those high acc fights.

You know which those are..
 Asura.Fondue
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-07-12 15:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »
Think you need Usu head/feet +1 in there as well to be able to use windbuffet belt for tp.
Or whirlpool head and manibozo feet
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2013-07-12 15:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »

This. Forgot to talk about those pieces.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-07-12 15:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Gunblaze said: »
Only alternatives would be Tenryu +1, Miodio, or Brego. Out of those 3, Brego would probably be the easiest to obtain. Now compare Brego to Omodaka and tell me which one looks more stylish.
The only one of those four pieces of gear that I was ever able to get to consistently beat Mel+2(or Mustela)/Black Belt combo is Tenryu+1.

I think the old combo of 4%hands/windbuffet was for pre-delve weaponry where capping fSTR was common. With higher mob VIT and higher weapon ranks now, the STR on Black Belt is no longer insignificant so most of the setups I've seen at the top are either Tenryu+1 based or use Black Belt with either Mel+2 hands or Mustela (with a significant amount of over-haste).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-12 15:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

don't forget the free pdt
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-07-12 16:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Suji said: »
Gunblaze said: »
The only one of those four pieces of gear that I was ever able to get to consistently beat Mel+2(or Mustela)/Black Belt combo is Tenryu+1.

I think the old combo of 4%hands/windbuffet was for pre-delve weaponry where capping fSTR was common. With higher mob VIT and higher weapon ranks now, the STR on Black Belt is no longer insignificant so most of the setups I've seen at the top are either Tenryu+1 based or use Black Belt with either Mel+2 hands or Mustela (with a significant amount of over-haste).
Just to add a bit more to these, here are a couple of sets for Tojil. Both assume full alliance buffs which means that if some buffs wear intermittently (such as Luopans), performance will change and thus one should probably actually wear a larger amount of accuracy. With all buffs on, however, accuracy and cratio are both capped which increases the relative power of base stats, stp and multihit. The only contribution food is making in these sets are their secondary stats, so Sole Sushi is chosen (the HP is nice too).

Without Tenryu+1: 1188 DPS
ItemSet 307732

With Tenryu+1: 1181 DPS
ItemSet 307733

Both are using this Shijin set:
ItemSet 307735

So there's a bunch of obvious disclaimers and gear swaps I could ramble on about. Most swaps you could do are only very slightly different, so I'll list them to preempt any confusion:

- Twilight Belt is a fraction of a percent ahead of Black Belt.

- Toci's is a fraction of a percent ahead of bozo body and the latter would surely win if acc became a problem.

- Ammo also changes by a fraction of a percent, with Demonry Core, Potestas Bomblet, Tantra Tathlum and Honed Tathlum all being fairly close depending on what your current needs are.

- Thaumas Nails are a fraction of a percent ahead of Usu. Sune-Ate +1 with the latter clearly being better if you need accuracy.

- Mars gets better than Rajas if you need accuracy

- Not going to bother to list them... Just parse your acc while you're fighting and use more acc if it's bad (I carry four TP sets for different levels of accuracy needs).

Regarding the two TP sets, the non-Tenryu set has 56 STR vs 44 in the other set, which ultimately results in a punch base damage increase from 206 to 209 (about 1.4%). The additional multihit in the Tenryu set raises your average punches per round from 3.228 to 3.259, an increase of 0.9%. I think these are the two primary values that challenge intuition about gear performance.

Edit: I should also mention that the Tenryu set has 15 additional accuracy, so it's more robust in the event that buffs are lost. A 0.5% maximal DPS decrease (1188 -> 1181) is probably worth the additional robustness. Who knows... I'm open to ideas.
[+]