Blue Screen Of Death When Playing FFXIV

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Blue Screen of Death when playing FFXIV
Blue Screen of Death when playing FFXIV
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-22 07:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I am experiencing a BSoD while playing FFXIV. It never happens with just FFXI.

Stop code is 0x124, with the trigger being hal.dll
Current system setup:

Windows 7 64 bit, Service pack 1
AMD Phenom II x4 965, 3.4Ghz - NOT overclocked
ATI Radeon 5830
OCZ 700W PSU.

I updated my drivers as needed, and still getting this. Any clues?
 Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-06-22 10:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

0x124 is generally Hardware/Driver related iirc.
Any new things you just started using, controllers or keyboards etc?
I had a problem where I bought a logitech controller it didn't like my PC too much on W7.

I'd run a CPU stress test aswell I've heard 0x124 can be CPU related a lot of the time (not entirely sure if true but run the test anyway and see if it BSoD you)

If so I'd say maybe check all screws on the board and if you got a temp gauge keep an eye on it for when it happens see if it's abnormally high incase it's your cpu fan not putting in enough work.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-22 10:39:48
Link | Quote | Reply

the only "new" item is a PC xbox 360 wireless controller, and i have been using it for 3+ months with no issues, up until i play FF14.

I'll try the stress test
 Fenrir.Reece
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-06-22 10:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah doesn't sound like the controller itself unless FFXIV doesn't run smoothly with the wireless side? I don't think it's the controller though I use an official 360 one myself with no problems on XIV.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-22 10:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Just BSoD during a CPU stress test. :/

any ideas?
 Fenrir.Reece
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-06-22 10:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say open up the case and make sure the CPU fan and everything else is screwed down firmly to make sure it's actually cooling.

If you haven't got a temp gauge, does it feel abnormally hot/warm to what it usually is?

And are your other fans running or have they stopped?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-06-22 11:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having this issue using motion joy with ps3 controller, but it only happens when I pull the plug for the controller.
 Lakshmi.Kanobrown
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kanobrown
By Lakshmi.Kanobrown 2013-06-22 11:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

As Reece suggested, overheating could be one of the causes for hardware failures. You could try cleaning the dust out of your case to rule that problem out. Make sure to get all the dust off heat sinks on the GPU and CPU. Also clean out the dust off any vents/fans/filters you have.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/224328/how_to_clean_your_pc_inside_and_out.html

Another idea, you could test your memory for issues using memtest:
http://www.memtest.org/
[+]
By innit 2013-06-22 11:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Heatsink and fan probably clogged with crap. Take off the fan (should be a case of unhooking some clips) and take a look.
 Fenrir.Reece
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-06-22 11:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a good point dust can be an issue aswell.
I also forgot about testing memory and that's a good suggestion.
You could lower the settings for FFXIV so it doesn't 'work' as much and maybe it won't BSoD but that's not a perma fix though.

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
I'm having this issue using motion joy with ps3 controller, but it only happens when I pull the plug for the controller.

I used to get that issue too which is when I switched to a 360 I never did find out what caused it I just guessed it was one of the issues I had when using Vista
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-06-22 12:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Try as simple a configuration that you can, e.g. Keyboard+mouse, to eliminate possible faults. Dust/crap in fans should not cause a bsod on launch of the program. Neither should RAM, but with non-ecc reliability is not guaranteed. Back to drinking, cheers!
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-22 12:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

No dust in the fan or heatsink.
It doesn't fail on startup, it happens 5-10 minutes into playing.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-22 12:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Correction on something. The CPU can is new as well. The originl fan that came with the CPU was making a slight ticking noise, so I swapped out for a new, coolmaster fan, same size. The only noticeable difference is the connection pin. The OEM fan has a 3-pin plug. The new one is 2-pin. Ever since installing it, I haven't heard the fan change speeds.

Could that be the issue? Maybe the 2-pin isn't grounded or is t increasing speed properly?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-06-22 13:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What.. Really? It did seem suspect but i'm not sure what else to use at that time.
 Fenrir.Reece
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-06-22 14:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Or use xpadder 5.7 I found it works a lot better even with a PS controller
By innit 2013-06-22 14:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Snprphnx, have you monitored component temperatures? HWMonitor is a good program for this. It is most like overheating of some component as you are getting the crash 5-10 mins into playing. I have a HD6870 which got rather hot when i ran the benchmark for 14, 73 degrees C which is near the recommended high temp.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-22 22:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll copy/paste my .dmp file tomorrow, and all actions I have taken so far. Sadly, since the beta ends tonight, I won't get a chance to test 1-2 other ideas I have.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-06-23 08:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Correction on something. The CPU can is new as well. The originl fan that came with the CPU was making a slight ticking noise, so I swapped out for a new, coolmaster fan, same size. The only noticeable difference is the connection pin. The OEM fan has a 3-pin plug. The new one is 2-pin. Ever since installing it, I haven't heard the fan change speeds.

Could that be the issue? Maybe the 2-pin isn't grounded or is t increasing speed properly?

Problem solved, I think.

Got home from work this morning, and ran Speccy to see what my internal temps are at, and for some reason, my CPU temp isn't showing. Downloaded and ran CPU Thermometer, and it is showing my Core temp at 0.0 deg C, as seen in the pic in the spoiler tag.
So, looking past that for a minute, I ran a prime95 stress test with the new fan (Coolmaster, 3-pin), and the fan stayed at a static 3200 rpm, and the system shut down within 30 secs of beginning the test.

Swapped out and reinstalled the OEM fan that came with the CPU (4-pin), and ran the stress test again. The fans speed ramped up like it should, getting upwards of 5500+ rpm, and the stress test ran for 15+ minutes before i opted to shut it off.

Will have to wait until next weekends beta to test while playing. I'll keep you updated