How's My Monk Doing?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » How's my Monk doing?
How's my Monk doing?
By Synria 2013-06-16 12:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to do a lot of stuff solo and don't usually get a chance to get in on PUGs for nifty stuff like Delve ( keep getting denied D: ) so I was wondering how my Monk was doing so far on gear~
:3 I usually hold my own pretty well even though I don't have a fancy R/E/M/D
Just wanted some opinions from other Monkly folk~

ItemSet 304672
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-16 13:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You should be using full +2 if you dont have access to BB or delve stuff

And get a rancor collar when you sell brego and oce hat
 Valefor.Catryna
Server: Valefor
user: Catryna
By Valefor.Catryna 2013-06-16 13:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

you should seriously lie about your monk to get into delve. You need the delve monk h2h man.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-16 13:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

he couldnt get into the KI pty much less a delve :/
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2013-06-16 14:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You need serious gear upgrades but not totally hopeless. You can do all below at the same time or just do it one-by-one.

1st get yourself a Brutal Earring. ABC are pretty cheap these days.

2nd you need to upgrade your AF3 into +2 version.

3rd work on your WS set once you are out of Aby.

4th, jump on the skirmish parties and get yourself a Ninza weapon then upgrade it with +1 stone whenever possible. You can start one if you want or just team up with your buddies.

5th secure yourself on NNI party/static for Thaumas body (and other pieces) while trying to get into delve party and delve KI.

6th refer to the Monk guide to see what else you are missing and need to fill in.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2013-06-16 14:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If I had to put your progression on your mnk. From 1-10
1 - barebones, pink geared, low priced AH weapon.
5 - +2 empyrean gear without 85 Vere
10 - Delve weapon, appropriate Delve/Empyrean/Salvage/Nyzul TP gear. etc etc

It would be about a 3. But don't take that as saying it's bad. It is just a comparison from lowest to highest on gear spectrum. Since I don't main mnk, I can just offer you a standard progression. I'm sure there are a few other things I am missing, but you'll get the general idea.

Armor
Get +2 empyrean first, there are some you can probably skip.
Form a group for Neo Nyzul and get Thaumas.
You can probably get into Delve easily once you've gotten +2 Empyrean gear/Thaumas and either a Vere or Tlalpoloani.

Weapon
Do you main Mnk and want to invest? Go for Verethragnas, they may be not good now, but can be upgraded later in the future.

Short term though, I'd personally go straight to Tlalpoloani then to Rigor.
Brawny->Blutkrallen->Verethragna->Tlalpoloani->Rigor

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/36705/iipunch-monk-guide/
That guide has stuff more in depth and very good, take a good read if you really like mnk. (Read it anyway)
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2013-06-16 15:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd skip vere85 and go with Ninzas. With the NQ stone you can get +42 base damage and it will be a decent weapon. If you have a good team or buddies then you can get that in a couple hours. If you are lucky you can get the +1 stones from the run and get the Ninzas to over +50 base damage which will certainly put above the vere85. If you are very very lucky you can get +2 stones and you'll have a weapon close to Tlalpoloani.
By Synria 2013-06-16 15:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies :D I've actually been working on Vere and should have one at 90 soon once I get the 3 different VNMs done for it. It's just been very slow going since I have to solo a ton~

Do I want to be using full AF3+2 on MNK until the day I can get things like Thaumas/Usukane+1?

What is Skirmish? Is that a new Adoulin thing? I've never seen anyone doing a PUG for it.
 Ragnarok.Agerknux
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ager
By Ragnarok.Agerknux 2013-06-16 15:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot about Ninza's. Another easy-to-get h2h weapon that is strong.

Check out that link and look at Beat Abyssea! Gear
That's what you'll want to aim for next. It's a solid gear set before you start going into harder content.

Skirmish is Adoulin content similar to an assault. Most people don't usually shout, but it's fairly easy to do.
 Leviathan.Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2013-06-16 16:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Since you have brown belt, it is better to simply TP in your AF3+2. Once you get Thaumas Coat (1st choice) which will give you 4% haste then you can switch to Twilight Belt and you will have a bit more flexible on equipment choices.

There are also some advantages at spamming Skirmish. You get about 5k+ Bayld per run. With that you can buy some Thurandaut Armor pieces or save up for Wildskeepers. They are not the best but they can certainly be comparable to certain AF3+2 pieces. They are also decent WS pieces if you use Shijin Spiral. Gloves can be an upgrade from AF3+2 gloves. Body is good for WS and also good if you need more haste for other slots.
By Synria 2013-06-16 17:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Agerknux said: »
I forgot about Ninza's. Another easy-to-get h2h weapon that is strong.

Check out that link and look at Beat Abyssea! Gear
That's what you'll want to aim for next. It's a solid gear set before you start going into harder content.

Skirmish is Adoulin content similar to an assault. Most people don't usually shout, but it's fairly easy to do.

Thanks, I'll make sure to check it out and try to look for some people to do Skirmish with... is there a recommended group setup for doing it, like what jobs should I be shouting for?

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Since you have brown belt, it is better to simply TP in your AF3+2. Once you get Thaumas Coat (1st choice) which will give you 4% haste then you can switch to Twilight Belt and you will have a bit more flexible on equipment choices.

There are also some advantages at spamming Skirmish. You get about 5k+ Bayld per run. With that you can buy some Thurandaut Armor pieces or save up for Wildskeepers. They are not the best but they can certainly be comparable to certain AF3+2 pieces. They are also decent WS pieces if you use Shijin Spiral. Gloves can be an upgrade from AF3+2 gloves. Body is good for WS and also good if you need more haste for other slots.

I actually have the Thurandaut Tabard already from doing Colonization Reives and assignments for Bayld. The only other piece that looked good to me is the feet for MNK though. Finding I prefer Mustela Harness to the Tabard overall though, I seem to perform better in it after switching between them often to fight (no parses, just clocking kill times and number of visible crit hits in logs)
 Cerberus.Diabolique
Server: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-06-16 17:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no Crit bonus for a single piece of Mustela, it's all or nothing. Thurandaut should be a better option at pretty much all times. Hands and Head are both decent Shijin WS pieces as well. Legs obviously pretty useless though.

If you're really that close to a 90 Vereth, I wouldn't bother trying to find people for Skirmish. The weapon isn't guaranteed to drop, and even though Simulacrum parts are super common and cheap now, who knows how many runs it would actually take to get the h2h. Or if you could actually find people interested in doing this.
Also, not that the skirmish h2h are just awful or anything, but I feel like people would probably accept you in to events with a 90 vereth more easily than a weapon a lot of people have never heard of.

Achuka's h2h is a bit more realistic, though it's competing with 3 other drops that are probably useless for you.
Just now noticed that Ammo. Thew Bomblet, Mantis Eye, Tantra Tathlum, Potestas Bomblet. Any of those would be a better DD option, not that it's a bad thing to have the chakram around when needed. Thew bomblet is pretty cheap all around now last I checked.
Wow totally did notice chakram had 5acc, removed some of the obviously worse options I listed.
 Lakshmi.Cledant
Server: Lakshmi
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2013-06-23 05:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Synria said: »
I have to do a lot of stuff solo and don't usually get a chance to get in on PUGs for nifty stuff like Delve ( keep getting denied D: ) so I was wondering how my Monk was doing so far on gear~
:3 I usually hold my own pretty well even though I don't have a fancy R/E/M/D
Just wanted some opinions from other Monkly folk~

ItemSet 304672
just lvl whm or sch and farm plasm >get ki>mnk delve weapon>other delve gear, it's way easier and effortless