Link | Quote | Reply

Where the hell do all these Dark Souls fans keep coming from
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-07 03:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wish they would patch Wait mode and Target Lock, but I guess that's not coming the way eh
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-07 04:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
There has never been a difficult Final Fantasy main story campaign lol. Very seldom did you get difficulty spikes or hard bosses (most relatable to most people probably being Yunalesca in FFX). The challenging content is reserved for optional side bosses and post-game content like Vio Purifico. Not sure why suddenly people are expecting FF to be Dark Souls.

If you want Dark Souls play Dark Souls.
This, the difficulty came with optional content.

crimsondragon said: »
Sylph.Cherche said: »
spam the attack command with the occasional potion for healing was all you needed for the base game.

That is exactly the problem with the last few of these games.
Being able to hold attack to mindlessly get through random battles has been a "feature" in almost, if not every single main #'ed FF game.

I use it when I'm in a "I don't care just let me go forward" mood in any game, and yes, even XV at times.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-07 04:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
If you want Dark Souls play Dark Souls.

The root of the problem.

A lot of us I think would prefer FF to go more the route of Dark Souls rather than so easy a 5 year old could do it in his sleep. Dark Souls feels more Final Fantasy than *** Final Fantasy does.
I disagree, let Dark Souls be Dark Souls and Final Fantasy be Final Fantasy.

I love Dark Souls, so much, but that game has a completely different purpose, story direction, and battle mechanics than a Final Fantasy game.

The only thing linking between the two games is the lock on system, and you still lose lock on in Dark Souls if the enemy jumps high enough up in the air or behind you, by design.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-07 08:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Optional dungeon after game
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-12-07 08:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I get the feeling spoilers are borked in this thread because the OP was created with a Node, much like the previous borked-spoiler-issues occurring in the various Job Guide threads, which also had Nodes as the OP.

TLDR: /blame Kali

TLDR2: /alsoblame Drac :p
[+]
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-07 08:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
I get the feeling spoilers are borked in this thread because the OP was created with a Node, much like the previous borked-spoiler-issues occurring in the various Job Guide threads, which also had Nodes as the OP.

Most of them have been working for me.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-07 09:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »

Most of them have been working for me.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-07 09:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You can change techniques mid fight, so while it's annoying you don't need to save the slot.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-07 09:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I need it whenever it's up, there's no point in switching. I can't make their HP go back up so they're always super low and get downed easily
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-07 09:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They spread out and I can't risk running around to get them up always, it can get me killed lol
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-07 12:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that was 3....

wow that was 3 years ago wtf. Fixing it :O
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-07 13:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Show OP finally updated, so spoilers should now work in the topic.

:) sorry about that, I didn't know that was a thing!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-07 13:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
I didn't know that was a thing!
I think Schutz is the only one who has figured out the root of the issue. We've been telling Rooks forever and he was like "I dunno what's causing it!"
By crimsondragon 2016-12-07 14:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
A lot of us I think would prefer FF to go more the route of Dark Souls
Good thing SE isn't listening to this "lot of you" then! :D

One day maybe you'll explain me how Dark Souls 2 or 3 feel closer to, say, FF6 than FF15 does.
Grabbing some popcorn as I wait for your creative explanation :P

Yeah no ***, I played the games back then too. That doesn't mean they were more difficult. All old FF games are easy when it comes to the main story and knowing where to go, what to do. Pretty sure most people who post on AH were quite young when playing the old ones, we didn't need any guide because it was quite clear what you had to do.

They haven't dumbed down the combat at all, it's just different. The main story bosses have always been easy, that's why they add the challenging optional fights.

It's always been "press Attack to win" and throw in some potions or heals for main bosses as long as you didn't have absolutely garbage equipment.

In 15 you have extra accessory slots to make up for the lack of armor and at least you can change the look of the clothes for once, that wasn't a thing before (I'm not counting dress spheres). Yeah, they could have had more sets (would have been nice with some variation) but the fact that you can is a very nice step forward.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
A lot of us I think would prefer FF to go more the route of Dark Souls rather than so easy a 5 year old could do it in his sleep. Dark Souls feels more Final Fantasy than *** Final Fantasy does.
This is bs and makes no *** sense. There is nothing in DS that you could remotely link to FF, let alone the fact that it seems you have no idea what FF are about.

FF were never hard.

I like how both of you ignore entire sentences of my posts and only comment on things that fit your narrative.

At no time did I ever say FF should be Dark Souls.......

Kalila said: »
Being able to hold attack to mindlessly get through random battles has been a "feature" in almost, if not every single main #'ed FF game.

Excuse me for asking to get more out of a game in its 15th iteration.

You guys ever wonder how awesome FF would be if people didn't kneel at the alter of SE no matter what they ***out? The only reason 15 is even playable is because the fanbase had a conniption fit over how horrible 13 was.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-07 14:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not about getting more out of XV. Being able to hold circle while your character auto faces, and attacks the enemy with your currently equipped weapon is a nod to previous FF games where you could do the same, but in a turn based environment.

When you apply strategy and skill, you can do more than simply holding the attack button, and that is required for the more difficult enemies in the game.

For trash enemies, you can choose to apply skill / effort, or you can simply hold attack and look away, listening for the music change.

I personally am glad they kept it, there is only so much mob grinding I can take until I reach the point of "okay I don't care anymore, let me go forward".
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2016-12-07 14:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Omg that ending meh! Seriously the last good ending to an FF was FF9 :(
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-12-07 15:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is what it is... it's the same for any game really... SE makes and markets these to catch the biggest market possible... they aren't doing it to service the minority of the group like yourself... don't like the way the series is going? Do t put your money into it... complain all you like about it but this kind of stuff isn't new to the series or genre... hell dark souls even dumber its shot down, I feel, to appeal to a greater audience... I get that you're all butt hurt that the game isn't exactly as you want it but you're not really making a great argument... so we've heard that you dislike the difficult Hogg level but yeah... just be done with it...

Its not about kneeling at the alter of SE either... idk maybe you're just too thick headed to understand that lots of people enjoy the way the game is made and how it plays... I have plenty of friends that play on easy just to get through and enjoy the story and game in general...

So please get off your high horse of you seem to think you know how a game should be and just deal with it when you choose to play their game...
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2016-12-07 16:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like I really suck at games now cause I found several FF games hard >.>;. But this is coming from someone who hates grinding so maybe that was part of it when I played them years ago.
[+]
By crimsondragon 2016-12-07 19:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
The game is what it is... it's the same for any game really... SE makes and markets these to catch the biggest market possible... they aren't doing it to service the minority of the group like yourself... don't like the way the series is going? Do t put your money into it... complain all you like about it but this kind of stuff isn't new to the series or genre... hell dark souls even dumber its shot down, I feel, to appeal to a greater audience... I get that you're all butt hurt that the game isn't exactly as you want it but you're not really making a great argument... so we've heard that you dislike the difficult Hogg level but yeah... just be done with it...
I was just going to ignore your incoherent dribble, but then you edited it and made it personal for some reason. These people arguing are the ones that are fixated on the whole "oh noes don't make it harder" I just want SE to spend some more time on the obviously rushed and not well thought out game that is 15. It could have been so much better. But like every other FF game from the past 15ish years (barring 13 which is unplayable to a lot of people) it is mediocre.

Its not about kneeling at the alter of SE either... idk maybe you're just too thick headed to understand that lots of people enjoy the way the game is made and how it plays... I have plenty of friends that play on easy just to get through and enjoy the story and game in general...
Have an easy mode I and everyone else give no ***. Spend the time to make an epic game worthy of the Final Fantasy title. Plus you just solved the whole hard problem. "Add a HARD mode"

So please get off your high horse of you seem to think you know how a game should be and just deal with it when you choose to play their game...

You people are the ones on the proverbial high horse here. I am just critiquing the Newest Final Fantasy game in a Final Fantasy forum on a Final fantasy Site!

Can't handle my opinion.
just be done with it...
By crimsondragon 2016-12-07 19:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
I feel like I really suck at games now cause I found several FF games hard >.>;. But this is coming from someone who hates grinding so maybe that was part of it when I played them years ago.

Notice everyone of them say "most" are not hard. You yourself say "several" are hard. To be fair, more than 15 actually exist.. "A Lot" of them before the internet and handy guides to help crybaby's through them.

The take away from this entire discussion should be SE needs to step up their game and stop being lazy.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-12-07 19:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

care to cite some examples of challenge or intense gameplay that would require a guide or extreme skill in any game prior to 12/x-2 (since that seems to be your target for when FF games got bad)?
By Viciouss 2016-12-07 19:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Strictly sticking to the main quest, there aren't any hard Final Fantasy games. There are more than a few where if you are trying to run through it you are going to get smashed at some point, but there really isn't anything difficult about a turn based RPG.
[+]
By crimsondragon 2016-12-07 20:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That is pretty much my point. Everyone is stuck on this "hard" thing. Every game since 10 you can just run through with ZERO thought at all. ***just make them a movie... Oh.. Wait.......
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2016-12-07 20:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

FFVIII - On my first playthrough the game was impossible because I ignored GF system. (didn't know how important they were).

FFVII - Lost Number was hard if you tried fighting him early on and I know me and few friends came unstuck on Materia keeper.

FFIX - I found necron kinda hard cause of grand cross and not having ribbons

FFX - The seymour fights all seemed to be tough.

FFXIII - Barthandelus is a prime example of difficult because you needed to beat him to level up and even with max level chars he was solid but with the right setup he was easier but it's a part where the game "made" you use what you learnt.

FFIV - Elemental archfiends where always a challenge.

There is a lot more example but in almost every FF there is a point where you needed to use the things you learnt to win.

Difficulty is relative anyway, like I wouldn't say Dark souls is hard but it was a game where you needed to know the mechanics to play it after that it's no harder than FF.
In most FFs you could play a lot of the game and not need to know the mechanics but in every FF if you learnt them and exploited them you would find the game a lot easier as a reward for your investment as long as FFXV does that to some degree that's all that matters.

O yea FFXIII-2 - Was difficult because the ending was a trailer for the DLC where you might get a real ending ... you didn't.

FFX - Omega and Ultima lvl 60 cap lol.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-12-07 20:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The main story is meant for everyone to be able to complete, and experience the story for themselves. For a game like Final Fantasy to cut out a part of their playerbase because they aren't "good enough" would be stupid.

Superbosses on the other hand, go ahead.
A superboss is an optional boss that is very powerful, normally even more so than the game's final boss, and generally gives either large amounts of experience, rare items, or both. In the Final Fantasy series, they are usually found deep at the end of optional dungeons, or can only be found after a long series of sidequests. They normally have no bearing on the storyline, and their existence is rarely explained.

Likewise, the rewards gained from defeating a superboss are often not particularly useful—sometimes they give a key item as a proof of defeating the boss—as the player must already be extraordinarily skilled to defeat the boss in the first place, they thus have no need for further battle enhancements afterwards. Superbosses exist to challenge the player and give them something to do once the main storyline is finished.

Final Fantasy - Warmech (random encoutner) (nerfed in later versions), Shinryu and Omega (Dawn of Souls+), Chronodia (20th Anniversary+)
Final Fantasy II - Iron Giant (random encoutner), Astaroth and Beelzebub, Ultima Weapon (Dawn of Souls), Phrekyos (20th Anniversay+), Deumion (20th Anniversary+)
Final Fantasy III - Iron Giant (3D remakes)
Final Fantasy IV - Zeromus EG (GBA+), Brachiorados (GBA+), Geryon and Proto-Babil (3D remakes)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Omega, Lord Dragon (Shinryu), Ultima Weapon, Lost Babil (PSP Post Game), Lunar Dragon, Lunar Odin, Lunar Leviathan, Lunar Bahamut (Mobile)
Final Fantasy V - Omega, Shinryu, Omega Mk.II and Neo Shinryu, Enuo (GBA)
Final Fantasy VI - Kaiser Dragon (originally planned to be the superboss for the SNES, but dummied for unknown reasons), Deathgaze, Kaiser Dragon (GBA, finished version), Omega Weapon
Final Fantasy VII - Emerald Weapon, Ruby Weapon (both didn't exist in the japanese version, so Ultima Weapon was theirs)
Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Minerva
Final Fantasy VIII - Omega Weapon
Final Fantasy IX - Ozma, Hades
Final Fantasy X - Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon, Nemesis, Dark Aeons and Penance (PAL and HD Remaster)
Final Fantasy X-2 - Angra Mainyu, Major Numerus and Almighty Shinra (HD Remaster)
Final Fantasy XI - Absolute Virtue, Pandemonium Warden, Kirin, Dynamis Lord, Paramount Botulus, Paramount Gallu, Ark Angels, Carbuncle Prime, Bahamut, Odin, etc
Final Fantasy XII - Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII, Zodiark, Five Archadian Judge Magisters (HD Remaster)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Yiazmat, Final Boss and his minions (if you compelte all missions, both him and his minions will be max level)
Final Fantasy XIII - Vercingetorix, Long Gui
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Long Gui, Yom, Raspatil, Snow, Gilgamesh, Valfodr (DLC)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Aeronite, Ereshkigal, Bhunivelze (NG+)
Final Fantasy XIV - Ifrit (extreme) and Nael Deus Darnus (both Legacy), Ultima Weapon, Odin, Bahmut, Nael Deus Darnus, Alexander, etc
Final Fantasy XV - Around 10 Superbosses (I personally didn't look up the names)
Final Fantasy Tactics - Elidibus, Ultima
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Corrupt Judges, Li-Grim
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Magick Weapon, Clan Ciquleur Members
Final Fantasy Type-0 - Nox Suzaku, Gilgamesh
Vagrant Story - Asura
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King - Omega, Wyrm
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time - Great Galdes
Dissidia Final Fantasy - Chaos
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy - Haniwa (random encoutner)
Final Fantasy Legend II
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - Krinjh, Torte, Rolan and Rekoteh, The Adventurer and Faithful Fox
Bravely Default - The Adventurer
Final Fantasy Dimensions - Adamantoise, Ω Weapon, Gigantuar
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-12-08 05:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Suzuki Yoshitaka's
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2016-12-08 07:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Suzuki Yoshitaka's

I liked the third phase
This one was also pretty great
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-12-08 08:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The hard part of RPGs is knowing things. The less you know, the harder it will be. FFs aren't particularly challenging, notable exceptions being FF1(NES), FF3(NES), FF5, and FFXI. I only consider them harder than the usual fare because you won't learn/know everything within a single playthrough/without looking stuff up/without mining the code.

The fact remains though, that they are RPGs with an ingrained leveling system, and you are intended to level up quite a lot in each of them. Leveling up is often used by players to substitute knowledge with power. It's the same way in Dark Souls, and any RPG with a leveling system.

FF15 is unique for an FF, since it is the first one to my knowledge, that is mostly freeform and real time during combat. It's a bit clunky, and yes, they let you get away with just popping potions/elixirs/phoenix downs, but their aim was to not make it controller breaking levels of infuriating. Frankly, I find it to be relative to normal FF difficulty fare, akin to 6 or 7 or 4(hello Active/Wait) or what have you. It's just as dangerous as any other FF, if you don't know what you are doing/aren't grinding through side stuff, especially at night time(Coeurls /shudders).

At some point though, you as a player just have to accept the fact that games aren't really going to get anymore challenging. There is a limit to how hard a game can be made without being unbeatable/unfair. We get better at games all the time, since we're not restricted on what we play. Even Souls games are starting to feel easy for anyone who's been playing them since Dark Souls 1 or before. But even more than that, with games having entered the mainstream(and some time ago now), the playerbase is more casual, and there are plenty of people who aren't looking for a game with low/no conveyance, or no tutorial. Plenty of people don't want to fight mega boss like fights at every turn, or even fight mega bosses at all.

Like it or not, we'll probably be sifting through a lot of grit and dirt to find the gems from here on out. And honestly it will surprise me if another "main series" FF turns out to be a gem. And that said, that's my opinion. The games haven't been bad. They just haven't wowed me.
First Page 2 3 ... 44 45 46 ... 54 55 56