Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 08:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
A core element of the series has been forever ripped away, doesn't matter what the story line is going to be.

Final Fantasy died after 12, just rename the series after that.

I personally wouldn't say the series "died", I just feel like...I don't know. It's almost a generation gap. They cast aside all the old stuff that so many of us fell in love with to appeal to a younger audience.

I guess I can't truly fault them for it, but I just don't like the current Mythos/setting/style and would appreciate a return to a more fantasy-inspired setting; or at least the steampunk-type setting of VI (even though I didn't really care for VI that much). But apparently that's not okay!
It's the FPS crowd. They killed the RPG. If it ain't pretty with lots of action then it won't grab their attention.

Oh, I'm sorry, since when does a giant war not have actual combat that includes explosions or fighting between people? Even in medieval times they would catapult *** giant pieces of stone at each other and had molotov cocktail type 'bombs'.

I don't think they took turns stabbing each other and waiting patiently while the other guy made up his mind about what item he wanted to use.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 08:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like making a movie about an abnormally hairy woman who loves pottery and the whole movie is about how her pottery influences the children in Mongolia to become an awesome soccer team and calling it the next 'Harry Potter' movie because at one point she says her pottery is magical.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 08:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
would appreciate a return to a more fantasy-inspired setting; or at least the steampunk-type setting of VI (even though I didn't really care for VI that much). But apparently that's not okay!
Boo hoo. Go play Type-0.

On my Japanese PSP, with the Japanese I speak?

I'll try to give it a go in March, okay? :p

There's a fan translation.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-18 08:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol "fps crowd". I've never played a fps in my life. Welcome to action rpg.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 08:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah...I don't mind the real-time game play. I also don't mind the turn-based stuff.

That's actually kind of secondary to story, characters, plot, and overall game experience.

And I liked absolutely none of that in XIII.

Which is why I'm dubious of anything being carried over.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 08:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Lol "fps crowd". I've never played a fps in my life. Welcome to action rpg.
Make it apart of the Seiken Densetsu series then.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 08:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah...I don't mind the real-time game play. I also don't mind the turn-based stuff.

That's actually kind of secondary to story, characters, plot, and overall game experience.

That's not even what's being carried over. They're reusing the names of the gods and the 'demigods'. That's about it.

It's like reusing summon names. In 14 they're called primals but also gods and summons and how they come into existence is different from previous games yet they're called Ifrit, Leviathan etc.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 08:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
A core element of the series has been forever ripped away, doesn't matter what the story line is going to be.

I personally wouldn't say the series "died", I just feel like...I don't know. It's almost a generation gap. They cast aside all the old stuff that so many of us fell in love with to appeal to a younger audience.

I guess I can't truly fault them for it, but I just don't like the current Mythos/setting/style and would appreciate a return to a more fantasy-inspired setting; or at least the steampunk-type setting of VI (even though I didn't really care for VI that much). But apparently that's not okay!
It's the FPS crowd. They killed the RPG. If it ain't pretty with lots of action then it won't grab their attention.

Oh, I'm sorry, since when does a giant war not have actual combat that includes explosions or fighting between people? Even in medieval times they would catapult *** giant pieces of stone at each other and had molotov cocktail type 'bombs'.

I don't think they took turns stabbing each other and waiting patiently while the other guy made up his mind about what item he wanted to use.
Go play a FPS then.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 08:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I think XII did well marrying the two concepts being able to pause and issue commands to your party if you wanted to, or just set your gambits and let fly.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 08:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Go play a FPS then.

Why should I when I want a leveling system, gear choices, exploration, good music and a good story? Battle system isn't the only thing in the game you god damn idiot.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 08:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not even what's being carried over. They're reusing the names of the gods and the 'demigods'. That's about it.

It's like reusing summon names. In 14 they're called primals but also gods and summons and how they come into existence is different from previous games yet they're called Ifrit, Leviathan etc.

Like I said. All my protestations aside, I'll still be giving it a chance.

As for Type-0, I will just wait for March, as I actually have too many other games and RL things on my plate right now to be screwing with translations. I also don't have a Japanese PSP, though I'm not actually sure if region matters on the PSP...though I assume it does.
By fonewear 2014-09-18 08:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like making a movie about an abnormally hairy woman who loves pottery and the whole movie is about how her pottery influences the children in Mongolia to become an awesome soccer team and calling it the next 'Harry Potter' movie because at one point she says her pottery is magical.

That actual sounds better than most movies I see trailers for...
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-18 08:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I haven't played a top-class JRPG since PS2 era.
sorry but this made me laugh.

have you tried the "Tales of..." series?
"Grandia 2"
"Bravely Default"?
I'm pretty sure there are some other.

If you think about it, the series has been slowly been shying away from the turn based way before XII, Active ATB, where, while sort of turn based (based on the character's speed), the monster would not wait for you to finish your turn to attack.
By fonewear 2014-09-18 08:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If I want to play a good JRPG I'll just put Dragon Quest 8 in my PS2.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 08:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Go play a FPS then.

Why should I when I want a leveling system, gear choices, exploration, good music and a good story? Battle system isn't the only thing in the game you god damn idiot.
OK fanboy.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 08:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is fanboy something negative? I am a Final Fantasy fanboy but that doesn't mean I enjoy everything in every game or every game that has been released.

I just don't judge a game or movie until I've played/seen it myself and I try not to judge it based on past games. I have played XIII and I very much dislike it but I haven't tried XIII-2 or XIII-3 LR, so I can't judge those even though I played XIII. I won't be playing them, but I also won't judge those 2 games - at least not based on story or gameplay. Music I have heard and I don't like it, it doesn't have the same feel to it as older FF music because it's not similar to it.

That's something XI does wonderfully though, it's very similar to older games.
[+]
By maiestass 2014-09-18 08:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Products will sometimes change over time to appeal to a wider audience, its business and that's that.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-18 09:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

XI is a great game. It's gone countless number of changes, addons, expansions, and improvements, but it's still the same basic game it was when it was released. Even the people that play it have changed and a new crowd has come in, but it's still the same game.
[+]
 Siren.Midgley
Server: Siren
user: maiestass
By Siren.Midgley 2014-09-18 09:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

But look at how many people play it now compared to how many people used to.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

But it's still only one game in a series with many different kinds of battle systems, music, mythos, characters and worlds. Final Fantasy changes with every game, little by little. It keeps many things the same but also introduces many new things.

The problem with the music in XII and XIII is that it's vastly different from the older games. They changed too much, too fast. An Action RPG battle system, however, isn't a huge step from 10/12/13
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 09:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I liked the music in XII.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:12:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't bad on its own but it wasn't as memorable as older music because the melody wasn't as strong. It kinda blended together after a while of playing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

XII had a bad pacing problem with the story
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-18 09:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

XII had a bad pacing problem with the story

I didn't find it to be so, but that's probably because I spend so much time doing extra stuff anyhow that it sort of blends in.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Basch was initially meant to be the main character of the story, but the focus was eventually shifted to Vaan and Penelo when the two characters were created later in development. The development team explained that their previous game, Vagrant Story, which featured a "strong man in his prime" as the protagonist had been unsuccessful and unpopular; the change regarding Final Fantasy XII from a "big and tough" protagonist to a younger, youthful one was thus decided after targeting demographics were considered. With the casting of dorama actor Kouhei Takeda for the voice acting and motion capture, Vaan became less feminine and more "active, upbeat bright and positive".

Most likely happened after the original director (Tactics director who came up with the plot and characters in 12) stepped down.
By maiestass 2014-09-18 09:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Hamauzu did a good job with some of the themes in XIII.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The theme of the story is said to be "a road trip" and adventure focusing on brotherhood.

Tetsuya Nomura said that because he designed his game to have a modern setting and a story focused on human drama, he chose not to use the names in the mythos, such as "l'Cie", instead using the concepts behind the terms and not directly referring to the mythos as Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Type-0 did.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-09-18 09:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I like XIII's music, but I do agree with Drac, it just doesn't have that FF Feeling to it.
XII, sadly, I cant come off with a tune for it from the top off my head.
 Siren.Midgley
Server: Siren
user: maiestass
By Siren.Midgley 2014-09-18 09:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the only thing directly referenced from the mythos in XV is Etro?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-09-18 09:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
I like XIII's music, but I do agree with Drac, it just doesn't have that FF Feeling to it.
XII, sadly, I cant come off with a tune for it from the top off my head.

That's what I mean by not as memorable. I'm sure you can remember many old FF tracks and hum them but with XII and XIII it's not as easy, they don't have the same kind of easy to hum melodies.

Listening to them on a soundtrack they're fine, good even, but in-game they kinda tend to blend together after you've been playing for a few hours. In old games the tracks were so varied that each area sounded different from the last one you were in and you would notice the change in music right away.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 54 55 56