Link | Quote | Reply

Aqua? She is from BBS.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-10-27 16:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

never played a KH before, so many spinoffs nowadays, wouldnt know where to start.
not that i'd have time for it nowadays either :(
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-27 16:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well considering these collections they're releasing, you might actually be able to pick it up...if you can figure out which is which with all these half chapters.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-10-27 16:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

what is 2.8 even supposed to contain?
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-10-27 16:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
what is 2.8 even supposed to contain?
KH Dream Drop Distance
Birth By Sleep 0.2 or whatever they're calling it, a short sequel to BBS using the KH3 engine
Kingdom Hearts X Back Cover it's a cinematic of the story of the foretellers, no idea who they are.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-10-27 16:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
never played a KH before, so many spinoffs nowadays, wouldnt know where to start.
not that i'd have time for it nowadays either :(

Quote:
Now, there are quite a few games, so what exactly is the "release order" of the games?
1) Kingdom Hearts (2002, PS2)
2) Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (2004, GBA)
3) Kingdom Hearts II (2005, PS2)
4) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (2009, DS)
5) Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (2010, PSP)
6) Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (2011, DS)
7) Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (2012, 3DS)

1) Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX
~Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
~Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
~Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (theater)

2) Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX
~Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
~Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
~Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (theater)

So as you can see, 4 of the 7 games are now fully playable in HD on these sets. However, 2 of the games in these sets aren't -- the ones labeled with "theater" above means that they're basically collections of cutscenes, taking the shape of 3-hour long movie. Now, these movies definitely have enough content to give you the full story of the original games they're being adapted from, but nobody would fault you if you just want to play the original games instead.

And as an aside, you may notice that "358/2 Days" is on the first set while "Kingdom Hearts II" is on the second. This may seem contradictory to the "play in release order" advice, but honestly, when it comes to these two games, their plots almost go hand-in-hand. And since this is the way Square released the HD sets, it's safe to say that this is their way of saying that it's alright to play "Days" before "KH2." Though, of course, the choice is yours -- you can play either in whatever order. Though, naturally, playing KH2 first is the most preferable, but again, it's up to you.

And lastly, "Dream Drop Distance" isn't on these sets, so you'd still need to have a 3DS to play that one. But, all things considered, just a PS3 and a 3DS to play through all seven current games is not bad at all.

So with that all out of the way, what is the recommended way to play the Kingdom Hearts franchise?
1) Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD (PS3)
2) Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories HD (PS3)
3) Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix HD (PS3)
4) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS) / Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (HD theater) (PS3)
5) Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD (PS3)
6) Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (DS) / Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (HD theater) (PS3)
7) Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (3DS)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-27 16:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Days should be played after KH2.

SPOILER
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-10-27 16:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I think Days should be played after KH2.

SPOILER
Your spoiler is borked but I can see it by quoting you and I agree, it does have a lot more meaning even though I actually played Days before KH2 so I thought it was neat to jump right into playing as Roxas again.
 Asura.Regicide
Server: Asura
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2016-10-27 18:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i always dreamed of a final fantasy with Kingdom hearts game play and triple tech guess that will never happen ff15 is not exactly the same
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [472 days between previous and next post]
By Viciouss 2018-02-11 09:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Its been a while since an update, but its looking good. I hope it comes out for Switch as well.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Lakshmi.Phaffi
Server: Lakshmi
user: phafi
By Lakshmi.Phaffi 2018-02-11 12:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You neglected
YouTube Video Placeholder

Why does Riku/"Other Riku" have Noctis' hair? :thinking:
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [119 days between previous and next post]
By Viciouss 2018-06-10 08:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Release date confirmed as January 29, 2019. Not a bad release date, clearly SE wants nothing to do with Red Dead 2, and this gives them a jump on the February games which is shaping up to be a good month.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [228 days between previous and next post]
By Viciouss 2019-01-24 19:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So, 6 years later, the game is coming out and reviews are positive. I think most reviewers are being nicer to the story than the gamers will, but, no way its worse than FF15 right? I'm in wait and see mode, I am typically very supportive of all things SE, but I'm kind of unhappy with them atm. That said, I hope people enjoy it and it ends up being worth the wait.

Metacritic
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2019-01-24 20:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
So, 6 years later, the game is coming out and reviews are positive. I think most reviewers are being nicer to the story than the gamers will, but, no way its worse than FF15 right? I'm in wait and see mode, I am typically very supportive of all things SE, but I'm kind of unhappy with them atm. That said, I hope people enjoy it and it ends up being worth the wait.

Metacritic

Do I think that a game starring Donald Duck and Goofy requires one of the most convoluted stories ever made? No. And my hope is that this numbered entry in the series doesn't pull a KH2 and leave me wondering what the frick is going on for the entire game. I can't blame them for expanding the KH1 storyline with the GBA game, but it shouldn't have resulted in such a transitional mess between KH1 and KH2. It's been far too many years since KH2 and I doubt most players have put in the requisite time to play and/or study the storyline from every mobile and handheld game released since then, but I would be surprised if they went back to basics with KH3's story.

That being said, I'll be getting in my pre-order regardless. I don't pre-order many games, but the Kingdom Hearts series has sold me on its exceptional gameplay, and I can't imagine that this one will fail on that point.
By Viciouss 2019-01-24 21:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If there is one developer that has proven that good gameplay can save a game from a bad story, its Square Enix. FF15 was the exception, not the rule. I'm not saying the KH3 story is bad, I don't know, but given the problems they had with development, I think there are going to be some issues.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2019-01-24 22:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've seen and been spoiled on so far the story matches or exceeds a KH fan's expectations, but if you aren't a fan of KH you probably shouldn't be starting with the 5th or 6th game in the series anyway.
By Jetackuu 2019-01-24 22:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
If there is one developer that has proven that good gameplay can save a game from a bad story, its Square Enix. FF15 was the exception, not the rule. I'm not saying the KH3 story is bad, I don't know, but given the problems they had with development, I think there are going to be some issues.

FFX-2's story is crap (afaic) but the gameplay is solid, for me anyway.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2019-01-24 22:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

X-2 has the best combat system ever in an FF game
By Viciouss 2019-01-24 22:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They have quite a few games with bad stories but good if not great gameplay to make up for it. KH's storyline got super convoluted during the really bad years when people thought SE might fold because the 14 launch was such a financial disaster and 15 was stuck in development hell. They had to just pump out cheap, popular titles and hope for the best, that's why we got 3 FF13 titles, a few KH sidestories, Star Ocean 4 and 5, none of these were good games, but SE didn't really have a choice. So I'm willing to give them a break with KH3's story, as long as the gameplay is solid.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2019-01-25 03:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

How did you get the game so early?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2019-01-25 04:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

JPN PSN account
By Ruaumoko 2019-01-25 04:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hearing really conflicting reviews on this, some saying it's great while others saying it's a complete failure.

Guess this is what happens when you wait 13 years, yes 13 years, between your last proper console release in a series. The hype machine takes over.

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2019-02-07 14:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

So, how's it playing?
By Jetackuu 2019-02-07 14:27:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also curious, as I haven't picked it up yet
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-02-07 14:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing I've heard the most about it, is that its not really fun or good. If it was a stand alone game, it'd actually be pretty bad. it's more of a "I played one and two and 1.5 2.5 2.8 I have to play three".

Too much movie and not enough game. and ZERO FF characters.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2019-02-07 16:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angierus said: »
Skip all cutscenes until the final disney world and then enjoy cutscenes that actually matter with gameplay that actually gets good. Its sad that it takes until the last 20% of the game for it to pick up.

I mean I've only played the first 2, but that's not how they all are?

All the disney worlds are pretty much their own stories, then you get the actual story at the start and end of the game?

Post deleted by User.