Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » new mnk weapon choice
new mnk weapon choice
 Lakshmi.Ezekieal
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Ezekieal
By Lakshmi.Ezekieal 2013-04-15 01:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I have started collecting mnk gear as I have recently decided to add it to my 99's.

Now the question lies with what weapon should I be aiming to make?

I won't have shijin as I am using the merits with other ws.

So does this mean that the new skirmish/wildskeeper reive weapons are no good when compared to 90 vere or 95 spharai?

Thanks
 Carbuncle.Sanders
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2013-04-15 02:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like a loaded question. With MNK if you don't have Vereth, you'll be using shijin. Asking about the new SoA (omg base dmg) weapons means you would use shijin. So... I'm not sure what to tell you.
 Lakshmi.Ezekieal
By Lakshmi.Ezekieal 2013-04-15 02:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So vere then I take it
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2013-04-15 02:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You wouldn't make spharai without using Shijin either. You're basically asking if you should make Verethragna or pair any other weapon with completely useless weapon skills. It's not even really a choice.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ezekieal
By Lakshmi.Ezekieal 2013-04-15 02:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That's all I wanted to know, thanks
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-04-15 03:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You're extremely limiting your potential on MNK if you aren't meriting Shijin Spiral (aside from owning Verethragna, and even in some cases, then).

That said, I wouldn't make any big decisions right now as we're currently in a period of waiting to see what the hell the dev team is doing. c.c
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-04-15 05:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(aside from owning Verethragna, and even in some cases, then)

Assuming he doesn't get both Vereth and Spharai (Which isn't likely because he doesn't care enough about the job to merit SSpiral), what situations, aside from "I don't have my weapon yet in salvage II", would he ever be using SSpiral?

Edit: lol wait don't you get wep by default now? It's been way too long @.@ or is there no starter chest in 2.0?
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-04-15 06:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

you pretty much always have 1/2 weapons up in 2.0 on the lamp when you first start.
 Lakshmi.Ezekieal
By Lakshmi.Ezekieal 2013-04-16 03:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh well thanks for the input everyone, still holdin out hope that we get more ws merit points we can use 5-10 more would be sic!

I read somewhere that ws dmg was a small part of mnks dmg (giving way to dps), so was wondering how 90 Vere would fair against one of those new insane dmg weapons using crappy ws. As you all eluded to it not even being a contest I have started making my Vere :)

Thanks again everyone
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-04-16 12:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Quote:
(aside from owning Verethragna, and even in some cases, then)

Assuming he doesn't get both Vereth and Spharai (Which isn't likely because he doesn't care enough about the job to merit SSpiral), what situations, aside from "I don't have my weapon yet in salvage II", would he ever be using SSpiral?

Edit: lol wait don't you get wep by default now? It's been way too long @.@ or is there no starter chest in 2.0?

Anytime skillchaining is useful, and your partner's weaponskill is fragmentation-based (and not also Smite). EG: Shijin > Shoha, or Exenterator > Shijin (or Shijin > SA/TA Exenterator), Shijin > Resolution, etc, will all give 2k to 4k Light, which is generally a fair bit more than the difference of Smite+Aftermath vs Shijin.