Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 188 189 190
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-06-26 10:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
Hands I'm not sure are really that practical. The parry/cure is cool, but IMO it's not worth building a -DT set around them.
I originally thought this as well, but I finally decided to build one anyway for ultima/omega master trials (where you don't have a healer) and I was very impressed by its performance.

Here's the set I used:

ItemSet 351945

I've been trying it out on other content as well, and it's surprisingly effective. Main thing I've tried it on is Omen. As expected, for pulling lessers it makes you completely invincible, but with good gear you pretty much already were. It's the performance on the boss (Kyou) where I was really surprised. I thought the healing from parry wouldn't be noticeable and my damage taken from magic & TP moves would increase from losing AF+3 body but it actually seems like it went down, maybe due to Turms naturally high stats. At one point he wiped most of the ally with Chainspell Meteor and I dragged it away into a corner to tank by myself. Our WHM stayed on the opposite side of the arena raising people while I just tanked by myself. I would get petrified, paralyzed, etc... but still full HP.

I'm not trying to make it sound like the be all, end all. It's a niche set for sure. If you have an actual healer, let them do their job and take advantage of that cureskin while you focus on things like holding enmity or dealing damage or whatever you fancy. But in cases where healing is short, I'm definitely learning to love the Turms.
[+]
By Bahadir 2017-06-26 11:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
I would get petrified, paralyzed, etc... but still full HP.

Hmmm that post made me wonder...can you parry while being asleep/petrified/stunned/terror'ed?
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-26 12:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahadir said: »
I would get petrified, paralyzed, etc... but still full HP.

Hmmm that post made me wonder...can you parry while being asleep/petrified/stunned/terror'ed?

asleep and terror: Not from my experience
Stun, unsure since Unable to act so assume No as well
Para: Yes
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-06-26 17:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You can parry while petrified, for sure. I remember because I made a comment when it happened on Kyou ("doesn't say much for Kyou, does it?")

I would assume that means stun & terror too, since they're all part of the same family of ailment.

Sleep I'm not sure about, but honestly at this point I'd be surprised if there's any ailment that does actually prevent you from parrying.
[+]
By Feanorsof 2017-06-27 08:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there any other useful /blu spells I might be missing?

I have these so far:

Soporific
Jettatura
Cocoon
Sheep song
Wild Carrot
Geist Wall
Healing Breeze
Blank Gaze
Stinking gas
By Bahadir 2017-06-27 09:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you dont have it yet you wont like it....but Refueling is definitely useful if there is no1 willing to spare a Haste for the poor tank again (even if its horrible to learn on 49).
Out of my head....I think venom shell was another AoE hate generation alternative but I guess you have the main spells for that.
However, you seem to lack a lot of spells needed to set Job Traits. Which ones you need depends on the traits you want to set. But Att/Def bonus would be things to naturally start with.

EDIT:
I suggest checking this
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Blue_Mage
as it lists the traits the spells are needed for as well.
By Feanorsof 2017-06-27 09:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Do the resist traits stack with Tenacity?

Just to confirm I understand that page correctly, it seems like its impossible to get traits like Evasion bonus, Plant Killer etc because they are not enough spells with that trait below 49 to reach (4), is that correct?

The useful traits i'm missing I believe are:

Defense bonus
Attack bonus
Undead Killer
Lizard Killer
Beast Killer
Resist Sleep - if this stacks with Tenacity

Am I missing anything?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-06-27 10:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Feanorsof said: »
Do the resist traits stack with Tenacity?

Just to confirm I understand that page correctly, it seems like its impossible to get traits like Evasion bonus, Plant Killer etc because they are not enough spells with that trait below 49 to reach (4), is that correct?

The useful traits i'm missing I believe are:

Defense bonus
Attack bonus
Undead Killer
Lizard Killer
Beast Killer
Resist Sleep - if this stacks with Tenacity

Am I missing anything?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Blue_Mage_Job_Traits

The Resist traits should stack with Tenacity. And Plantoid Killer is indeed possible. Evasion bonus doesn't matter though, as RUN has it natively. And BLU traits are simply the first tier (or more) of the same traits native to other jobs. After general enmity spells (Jettatura, Blank Gaze, Geist wall) and Cocoon, I generally work towards Defense Bonus, Attack Bonus and then Magic Attack Bonus and/or a killer trait if I'm after a single mob in particular.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-06-27 10:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You can parry while petrified, for sure. I remember because I made a comment when it happened on Kyou ("doesn't say much for Kyou, does it?")

I would assume that means stun & terror too, since they're all part of the same family of ailment.

Sleep I'm not sure about, but honestly at this point I'd be surprised if there's any ailment that does actually prevent you from parrying.
That's something I'd want to see some evidence for.

In all the years I've played this game, I can't ever recall ever seeing a parry proc while under Petrify/Sleep/stun/terror. But I admit that that's purely anecdotal and not something I've ever tried to specifically test for. And the vast majority of my playtime in those years has been on jobs that don't parry much.

I've had little reason to think that Parry's could proc during Petrify/Sleep/stun/terror, especially since shield blocks can't proc during these. You get stunned while super tanking on PLD and you start getting owned. Parries and blocks are pretty similar defensive procs.

Assuming that this can happen, maybe it's an effect of Inquatarta or Battuta? Inquatarta is really weird anyway. I'd want to test for it on RUN, with and without battuta, and then on something that doesn't have Inquatarta.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-06-27 10:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I too would like some evidence of those claims, as they don't fit my experience either.
By Bahadir 2017-06-27 10:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you can definitely evade an attack while being any of the above (sleep, stun, terror, etc). Another job that could reasonably test the parrying thing without Inquatarta is Nin with Issekigan. Just wondering whats a good way to test it...
By Feanorsof 2017-06-27 10:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for confirming on the traits, I just want to confirm how Plant Killer is possible as I might be misunderstanding something, I see these 2 spells that are below level 49 with Plant Killer:

Power Attack (Blue magic points 1)
Mandibular Bite (Blue magic points 2)

This would put me at 3/4 towards the trait so I wouldn't get it?

The only other spell I see is Level 60 and that's Spiral Spin.

Also i'm assuming MAB trait is for use with Lunge?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-06-27 10:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Feanorsof said: »
Thank you for confirming on the traits, I just want to confirm how Plant Killer is possible as I might be misunderstanding something, I see these 2 spells that are below level 49 with Plant Killer:

Power Attack (Blue magic points 1)
Mandibular Bite (Blue magic points 2)

This would put me at 3/4 towards the trait so I wouldn't get it?

The only other spell I see is Level 60 and that's Spiral Spin.

Also i'm assuming MAB trait is for use with Lunge?

That would be the confusion of how BLU job traits work. The 1 and 2 you're seeing are the equip value of the spells. So it takes that many spell points to equip. To obtain a trait you need 8 of that trait in spell value, but most spells give 4 points towards their trait, so it only takes 2 of a spell to do this. I believe this is true for all traits other than Auto-refresh for pre-99 spells.
[+]
By Feanorsof 2017-06-27 10:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for clarifying! Looks like its back to farming more spells... ugh
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-06-27 11:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you can definitely evade an attack while being any of the above (sleep, stun, terror, etc). Another job that could reasonably test the parrying thing without Inquatarta is Nin with Issekigan. Just wondering whats a good way to test it...
I don't think anyone was questioning whether you can evade attacks during these statuses. We know you can. Evasion is just the monster missing you. The character doesn't actively move or anything, and no animation is displayed.

But Parry/Block/Guard/Counters are a bit different. For these the character(although not the player) actually acts. And an animation is displayed for the action. It would be really weird for someone who can't move, whether from petrify/stun etc, to be able act to prevent a hit. And while this is applying 'real life' logic to a game, my experiences in game seem to match this idea. I've never seen any of these more 'active' defenses trigger while the player was incapacitated by the statuses in question.

That being said there are plenty of other weird inconsistencies... Like how you can't shield block ranged attacks... One of the primary RL uses for shields... But you can parry them(although the log displays it as a miss, irrc.)

The best thing to do is just actually test it in controlled conditions.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-27 12:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
I don't think anyone was questioning whether you can evade attacks during these statuses. We know you can. Evasion is just the monster missing you. The character doesn't actively move or anything, and no animation is displayed.

But Parry/Block/Guard/Counters are a bit different. For these the character(although not the player) actually acts. And an animation is displayed for the action. It would be really weird for someone who can't move, whether from petrify/stun etc, to be able act to prevent a hit. And while this is applying 'real life' logic to a game, my experiences in game seem to match this idea. I've never seen any of these more 'active' defenses trigger while the player was incapacitated by the statuses in question.

That being said there are plenty of other weird inconsistencies... Like how you can't shield block ranged attacks... One of the primary RL uses for shields... But you can parry them(although the log displays it as a miss, irrc.)

The best thing to do is just actually test it in controlled conditions.
Short test yesterday
1 Reis Dragon fight with Only Support trust @30min Was terror 5 times, Had Full buffs up on 3/5 No "Spike" from parry animation at all though terror did last between 20~60+ sec each time. Not sure what petrify would do but in my very small sample size 0% under terror. Could use the nice tiger in Zitah since does petrify upon pop, could do diabolos for Nightmare sleep for that, Be creative and test something that can be pop multiple times. Atm 1455/2100 jp also NOT using SU3 Feet/hands atm So would be best to make a set for that and then test GL
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-06-27 18:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Battuta was not up at the time. It could be a special property of Inquartata, maybe.

I'm 100% positive that I parried while petrified against Kyou, though.

It's very strange that you didn't see parry under Terror because they're basically the same effect.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-28 01:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Battuta was not up at the time. It could be a special property of Inquartata, maybe.

It's very strange that you didn't see parry under Terror because they're basically the same effect.

Could be filter and lag on my end. Saw no spikes though which is a clear indication of a parry for that. Usual spikes when I am not terror and Flail tanking it, will def test out more tomorrow when I get on. Will be only a small sample though not like one would need to show data on here for a legit test.
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-04 16:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »

Could be filter and lag on my end. Saw no spikes though which is a clear indication of a parry for that. Usual spikes when I am not terror and Flail tanking it, will def test out more tomorrow when I get on. Will be only a small sample though not like one would need to show data on here for a legit test.
Just so its clear you will parry an attack while Petrafied if you're getting stona'd quickly enough(yoran has ridiculous fast cast about this) so you would really need to do this test w/o whm trusts out
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-04 16:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Also may not be relevant but I'm very near 100% that you can't either, don't ever recall parrying dickall tanking wyrms during terror back at 75, mind you drk can't parry for sxxt and it was long long ago.
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-07-24 02:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there data on whether Runeist's Boots need to be worn while Pflug is up or if they can be simply macro'd in?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-07-24 03:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't Jeanpaul perform a small test aeons ago? Or am I thinking thigns?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-07-24 06:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vedder said: »
Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »

Just so its clear you will parry an attack while Petrafied if you're getting stona'd quickly enough(yoran has ridiculous fast cast about this) so you would really need to do this test w/o whm trusts out

Just so we're clear, if you get Stona'd while petrified you're no longer petrified so you're not parrying while petrified.

(This is agreeing with Vedder, if that happens to need clarification.)
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-07-24 10:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I'm aware of that, but that's not what it was. The mages were all 30' away recovering and trying to avoid Meteors, including the WHM who was still trying to raise people.

I had been petrified for several seconds when I noticed I was still parrying, and that's when I made the joke in party chat. I had time to completely type out the joke, and I'm pretty sure the joke is what made the WHM remember I was still over there tanking and getting ailments and that's when they came to Stona me. Petrify was up for at least 10 seconds and I parried throughout.
 Bahamut.Skyekitty
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Skyekitty 2017-08-06 21:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologize in advance if this was covered somewhere, was going through pages of txt and didn't see it. When starting a fight, what is the "normal hate process" you do to grab the mob in a high buff scenario? After 2 drks unleash, my hate goes with it. /frustrated
 Bahamut.Omegus
Server: Bahamut
user: Alphus
By Bahamut.Omegus 2017-08-07 04:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys has anyone get any Suggestions or Gearsets for Phalanx+? any info would be appreciated ty
By geigei 2017-08-07 04:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omegus said: »
Hey guys has anyone get any Suggestions or Gearsets for Phalanx+? any info would be appreciated ty

Relic head + 4/5 augm taeon.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-08-07 05:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
Bahamut.Omegus said: »

Relic head + 4/5 augm taeon.
And put Enhancing Skill+ in the other slots, trying to reach the highest Phalanx tier you can (If I recall off the bat, you get a -1 damage reduction every ~20 skill)
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-08-07 07:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Skyekitty said: »
Apologize in advance if this was covered somewhere, was going through pages of txt and didn't see it. When starting a fight, what is the "normal hate process" you do to grab the mob in a high buff scenario? After 2 drks unleash, my hate goes with it. /frustrated

You can keep spiking your hate continuously w/ a bunch of abilities, spells and blue magic, etc... but keeping hate off two fully buffed DRKs is never a picnic.

You know the saying: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Hopefully you have a strong DD weapon (this is where AG Lionheart is awesome), a hybrid -DT/TP set, and can leverage those buffs that you're also getting to output a ton of damage yourself -- the monster will be stuck on you, and your DRKs can go wild(er).

If that's not possible for you, then ask your BRD for Foe Sirvente and wear Empy Body... maybe that would help.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-08-08 12:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this practical? I recall there being a 4 or 5 step that includes Full Break. Does this exist for RUN? Might be worth considering the debuffs it adds for every other DPS' benefit.
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/21766/hepatizon-axe-1
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 188 189 190