New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 113 114 115 ... 262 263 264
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-26 21:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Gordel1432 said: »
What about ginsen versus raiders boomerang? or is there a better tp piece?

and what is the WS piece?
raiders boomerang is 3 DW? It's pretty much useless now. You can actually get enough DW from gear without it to cap delay with no magic haste at all. Ginsen would be better for tp, unless you are hurting for accuracy. For weaponskills I like Yetshila. A cheaper option would be Qirmiz Tathlum.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-08-27 14:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much agreeing with everything Ulth is saying. I think most people largely ignore how difficult and needless it is to self-SC in a party setting. In a situation where you, as THF, are the only melee, then there are benefits to doing it, provided your use of other WSs (almost always unstacked) don't bring down your overall damage. This is kind of limited to stuff like Delve and WKRs since most weaker content lacks the HP, and stronger content often becomes too dangerous for a THF to be in a tanking position. Once you add a tank or another melee, you really want to capitalize the openings made by other players (particularly their Grav or Darkness WS's, and Frag too if you own Vajra). This really extends to other jobs, but yet you're still going to meet the SAM who insists on spamming Fudo even though their damage would be much more significant if they'd coordinate something with you.

I will say self-SCing is very handy for a low-man Delve (Ceizak especially) or a solo WKR though.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-28 14:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's better when your aren't in a capped attack situation. However as a play style choice I use fotia gorget. The 0.1 ftp doesn't help as much as just stacking on more dex, but the occasional not using tp is pretty sweet.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-08-28 14:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Love Torque is a very useful TP/WS piece. It comes short of things like erudition necklace for TP, though that's mostly because it doesn't have a whopping 6 Store TP. The DEX does outperform the bonus from fotia gorget on Rudra's/Mandalic (but not Evis), except when the proc occurs. It's up to you if you feel that the minor chance of saving TP is worth more than the minor damage boost, either option is fine.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-08-28 16:35:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ulthakptah said: »
raiders boomerang is 3 DW? It's pretty much useless now. You can actually get enough DW from gear without it to cap delay with no magic haste at all. Ginsen would be better for tp, unless you are hurting for accuracy. For weaponskills I like Yetshila. A cheaper option would be Qirmiz Tathlum.

While it's true that you can cap delay with gear alone, you should still try to use stronger non-DW gear wherever possible. Even ignoring Adhemar stuff, that would include the following slots where the DW option is clearly inferior:
- Head (Dampening Tam, Skulker's+1)
- Earrings (DA set, Zennaroi, Brutal, etc.)
- Body (Rawhide, TA Taeon)
- Rings (choosing between Haverton if you happen to have it, and your non-Epona ring of choice)
- Waist (Windbuffet+1)
- Legs (Samnuha, TA Taeon)
- Feet (TA augments on Taeon over DW augments)

Common situation: capped magic & gear haste, you'll need DW+11 from gear to hit 80% delay reduction cap. There are plenty of ways to do it, but I always like to retain the superior non-DW pieces in the above slots. Ranged/Ammo slot is one where it's not too much of a loss to sub in Boomerang for some DW that you might need to hit cap.

For instance, using TA Taeon Boots (DW+4) and well augmented Floral Gauntlets (DW+5 base, up to TA+3 aug) leaves you 2 DW shy of capped delay reduction. I'm really looking at filling that in back or ammo/ranged slots. Going sliiightly over by using Boomerang and hitting DW+12 is a pretty good option there without having to sacrifice another more meaningful slot.

Canny Cape is the major variable here since DW amounts can differ based on augments. I guess ideally I should get one with DW+2 and good crit DMG/DEX/AGI augs... but I don't have that on either of my 2 (one has max crit DMG and some DEX/AGI, no DW; another with DW+5 that I use for low buffed scenarios).
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-08-28 17:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Question:

ishvara earring

How does it compare to a DEX earring or to Brutal earring?
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-28 19:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you give the ammo slot too little credit. A lot of the downside to using the boomerang is not being to swap it out, and it does nothing to help with weaponskill damage. So while comparing 3 stp to 3 dw is one thing comparing 3 dw to 5% critical damage is another.

Also whole heartedly agree with Verda. +2% WSD is way better than the 4 dex earring I never bothered to get.

Edit: though if they added a crossbow with dex or crit damage I would be all over that. I miss my xbows ;;

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-28 22:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Best in slot for ws and tp I have Adhemar wristbands. Floral Gauntlets are also good for tp if you don't have haste. but yeah Taeon is a good place to start unless you already have another job that can do sinister reign and escha.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-08-29 01:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Been having a number of people contact me lately about updated spreadsheets and an overhaul/remake of this guide. Unless anyone has some objections to my doing so, upon my completion of finally updating the spreadsheets, I'll make a new guide thread.

For spreadsheet content, aside from simply adding gear, there will also be a section for Gifts, Cheers, Vorseals, and ideally, more monsters (this would likely require collaboration with other mathy folks). For guide content, in addition to the usual fare of abilities/roles/subs/merits/gear, there would be considerations for newer/returning THFs, people planning to use THF simply for farming Dynamis/Salvage, clarity on Dual Wield and TH (so you'll never have to ask again), and other important details. Thoughts/opinions?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By geigei 2015-08-29 09:18:02
Link | Quote | Reply

AdhemarB bis for tp/ws.
By geigei 2015-08-29 10:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

str 10 dex 10 att 15 path B, bg working good.
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-29 11:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

BG is a little hard to navigate sometimes. The augments on the page for the npc who augments them are the only ones being updated. So searching for Nolan will take you to the page.

I think it's a good idea for a new thf guide. This one is getting a little lengthy anyway. Also really drive it in how the formula for dual wield works in conjunction with the delay cap. And point out that added dex/agi from sneak/trick attack are added after the ftp .
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-08-29 12:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
geigei said: »
AdhemarB bis for tp/ws.
Snip

What the hell....... seriously..... what the hell is this garbage. This isn't facebook, you are mad because people didn't essentially like your post? I stopped reading half way through your response because it was so disgustingly apparent that you feel you deserve recognition. I mean you could of gotten the entirety of your whiny post out by just saying
Quote:
I do want you to if you wish, write the guide.
Or better yet, write a guide anyways and have it be stickied like they did in the Paladin section for example.

Some of the crap you say also is a no brainer, sure, you helped someone out, great. You want us to get on our knees and praise you or something by helping a lost soul? You try to act all humble in your post while making is glaringly obvious that you aren't.

You are the bane of a site like this, not your accusation that it is everyone else. Are there actual *** that exist on the forums? Obviously, but this has to be one of the most disgusting posts I've ever read. You imply there is so many *** on the forums while implying we should suck yours.

Now GREAT, you HAVE helped people! More people should, but I have never seen such a rant of self-righteousness before. Then you feel people like Jean don't represent what a thief guide could use?

I'm sure you would make a great guide! I'm sure Jean would make a great guide! Just holy crap!
By geigei 2015-08-29 12:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, i thought that was a just very long signature.
[+]
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-29 12:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just hoping other people would ignore it and it wouldn't turn into a 10 page argument.
First Page 2 3 ... 113 114 115 ... 262 263 264