Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-10-29 16:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Bismarck.Lillica said: »
Sorry if this is an old-repeated question, but I notice the title has changed and by half-assedly paying attention when people talk about FF14 I know a lot has changed since the initial release.

That being said is this a whole new version of the game that people who haven't been playing will need to buy? I picked up 14 during the first week, hated it, played for a couple days when it became free, hated it less but still haven't played it since before they started making you pay again.

I have been losing FFXI steam though and looking for something else to play and have considered 14, but if it is a whole new game coming out, I don't think I want to invest in it again.

Update is free for people who own 1.0

If you had an account that you were paying for at least 90days before May 27th, you'd get Legacy status. That means that

1) You got to keep paying the 9.99 fee in 2.0 rather than the increased price of 12.95 for new players.
2) Free second Chocobo. Which, with the new Chocobo systems they're adding, you could train them in a "job." Three pictures showed WHM BLM and WAR armor for your Chocobos.
3) Would not have to "buy" 2.0. Rather, its what Proth said. Free to update to for Legacy members. (and maybe non-legacy people? Not sure.)
4) Any items you obtained prior to the final "character save data" date (this Wednesday) will be carried over to ARR.

Of course, if you want to play on PS3, would have to buy a disc for it anyway.

EDIT: Info on 2.0 beyond character creation.
Legacy Status
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-10-29 16:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

you don't have to be a legacy member to get 2.0 for free. you just have to have a XIV registered on your SE account
[+]
 Carbuncle.Veteran
Server: Carbuncle
user: veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-10-29 16:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Valory said: »
I wonder if there are plans to allow people to play through the original storyline once 2.0 hits? That vid posted earlier kinda makes me wish I'd played for the storymode at least. I was in Beta and the gameplay itself completely turned me off.

The current 'end of the world' storyline, culminating the sixth astral era is a one time only affair.

The primary storyline to do with the primals will most likely be revamped.

XIV has flaws, but watching a meteorite get closer and closer in each update is exciting. Especially seeing as music like this:

Will be playing on the last 10 days, in every zone... I'm pretty stoked. I'm a sucker for apocalyptic storylines and I can't wait to walk around all the zones with this track playing.

It's like the third day in Majora's Mask.

The Aetheryte camps are already stopping to work properly, and look yellow and cracked whilst high level mobs are roaming freely.

They've painted a pretty vivid canvas.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-10-29 16:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Bismarck.Lillica said: »
Sorry if this is an old-repeated question, but I notice the title has changed and by half-assedly paying attention when people talk about FF14 I know a lot has changed since the initial release.

That being said is this a whole new version of the game that people who haven't been playing will need to buy? I picked up 14 during the first week, hated it, played for a couple days when it became free, hated it less but still haven't played it since before they started making you pay again.

I have been losing FFXI steam though and looking for something else to play and have considered 14, but if it is a whole new game coming out, I don't think I want to invest in it again.

Update is free for people who own 1.0

If you had an account that you were paying for at least 90days before May 27th, you'd get Legacy status. That means that

1) You got to keep paying the 9.99 fee in 2.0 rather than the increased price of 12.95 for new players.
2) Free second Chocobo. Which, with the new Chocobo systems they're adding, you could train them in a "job." Three pictures showed WHM BLM and WAR armor for your Chocobos.
3) Would not have to "buy" 2.0. Rather, its what Proth said. Free to update to for Legacy members. (and maybe non-legacy people? Not sure.)

Of course, if you want to play on PS3, would have to buy a disc for it anyway.

You don't need the special Legacy chocobo to train it into a job either, it's just part of the new companion system. You'll be able to write gambits for your chocobos, and they can be any of current jobs.

Arcanist and Summoner was also announced a little while ago too.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-10-29 16:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
you don't have to be a legacy member to get 2.0 for free. you just have to have a XIV registered on your SE account

Ah, okay. :o

Carbuncle.Veteran said: »
Phoenix.Valory said: »
I wonder if there are plans to allow people to play through the original storyline once 2.0 hits? That vid posted earlier kinda makes me wish I'd played for the storymode at least. I was in Beta and the gameplay itself completely turned me off.

The current 'end of the world' storyline, culminating the sixth astral era is a one time only affair.

The primary storyline to do with the primals will most likely be revamped.

XIV has flaws, but watching a meteorite get closer and closer in each update is exciting. Especially seeing as music like this:

Will be playing on the last 10 days, in every zone... I'm pretty stoked. I'm a sucker for apocalyptic storylines and I can't wait to walk around all the zones with this track playing.

It's like the third day in Majora's Mask.

The Aetheryte camps are already stopping to work properly, and look yellow and cracked whilst high level mobs are roaming freely.

They've painted a pretty vivid canvas.

Those last few days are going to be BAD-***.

Carbuncle.Veteran said: »
You don't need the special Legacy chocobo to train it into a job either, it's just part of the new companion system. You'll be able to write gambits for your chocobos, and they can be any of current jobs.

Arcanist and Summoner was also announced a little while ago too.

I'm aware of that. Just at the start of 2.0, Legacy members will have two chocobos. The one they got from the current FFXIV, and the bonus one.

Also, they held an design contest a while back for rings to give to Legacy members at the start of 2.0. The winning design was... to give to randomly selected voters and a copy of the item to the creator.

I forgot that they were going to email the voters who won an ingame version of the ring! D: brb checking email
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-10-29 16:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I considered checking out XIV but P2P is dead to me, there isn't a single MMO out there right now that is worth paying to play in my eyes. Maybe in a few years.
By Enuyasha 2012-10-29 16:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I do agree..the music is really amazing as we get closer to the apocotaco :< During the darnus fight i hardly could concentrate on meteors because of the second phase music in the background.

But sadly, if they plan to do anything with Dalamud hitting in the last 10 days most people wont see it but the ones who are sitting around with their tinfoil hats just to watch the server ending cutscene.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-10-29 16:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I considered checking out XIV but P2P is dead to me, there isn't a single MMO out there right now that is worth paying to play in my eyes. Maybe in a few years.

plenty of good MMOs that dont require you to pay anyways!

Enuyasha said: »
apocotaco

I want to see Taco Bell make one of these in December. Would be hilarious
 Carbuncle.Veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-10-29 16:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The XIV community is pretty small, but dedicated too.

I guess you have to be to put up with the ***that we dealt with throughout.

The game is really fun until you reach 50, then until you do all the content it's like the most fun I've ever had with an MMO... but after that everything necessary is just a boring grind.

The White Raven was one hell of a fight though, it really felt like a final boss.
 Carbuncle.Veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-10-29 16:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
I do agree..the music is really amazing as we get closer to the apocotaco :< During the darnus fight i hardly could concentrate on meteors because of the second phase music in the background.

But sadly, if they plan to do anything with Dalamud hitting in the last 10 days most people wont see it but the ones who are sitting around with their tinfoil hats just to watch the server ending cutscene.

I'd imagine that there will be some serious ***going down on the last ten days, leading up to the cutscene.

They've already done a few GM events, I think they'll do more.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-10-29 16:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, exactly. I will say the SWTOR F2P model is an absolute joke and insult to the players, just more evidence that the EA/Bioware tandem is completely failing.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-10-29 16:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, exactly. I will say the SWTOR F2P model is an absolute joke and insult to the players, just more evidence that the EA/Bioware tandem is completely failing.

Insulting that they even call it F2P really. Aion and GW2 do it right (though Aion is the true "free" one since you do have to pay $40~60 to get GW2, but no sub fee for either one)
By Kimble2013 2012-10-29 16:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, MMOs are pretty dead to me. To many great games coming out to take up my time.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-10-29 16:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't get the email. :< I better get an Alpha testing email!
 Valefor.Fmaxgluttony
By Valefor.Fmaxgluttony 2012-10-29 16:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh after that Embrava nerf FFXI is dead to me I'm looking forward to FFXIV:RR actually. I really like the customization so far.

Edit: We need virtual reality MMO's already!
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-10-29 17:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know why people are assuming that players will magically flock to this game just because it's been "revamped." Anyone who has an extensive history with MMOs (which really isn't THAT long considering how long MMOs have existed) knows that MMOs live or die because of their launch. FFXIV is dead and will remain so no matter what they try to do. The only possible recourse they have is an extremely long advertising campaign, but even then, they've already scared away the majority of their players.

This game is such a waste of time and money that it's really quite sickening to see SE treat it the way they have.

And lol at playing a MMO because your character looks pretty.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-10-29 17:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

While the first launch has been a terrible marketing move, the people that will be permanently cut off are only a handful I think. The second launch is what will make or break this game once and for all.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-10-29 17:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm inclined to agree with Helel, even if 2.0 is successful, I dont see the sub numbers skyrocketing because of it.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-10-29 17:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a lot of little things that annoy the hell out of me in 14, if they fix those, then it'll be a lot more playable. As it is pre-ARR, I'd never pay for a sub, but if they do it right, they could probably get a bit out of me. Just too bad the dual sub discount is going away.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2012-10-29 18:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly so far, the only thing that worries me about 2.0 is the new battle system, though we'll get a more indepth look later on. but so far everything else seems to be such a huge massive improvement. i'm very very excited to play this game and i hope i get into beta :Q
By Quiznor 2012-10-29 20:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking forward to 2.0 and havent even watched the videoes
[+]
 Carbuncle.Veteran
By Carbuncle.Veteran 2012-10-29 22:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
I don't know why people are assuming that players will magically flock to this game just because it's been "revamped." Anyone who has an extensive history with MMOs (which really isn't THAT long considering how long MMOs have existed) knows that MMOs live or die because of their launch. FFXIV is dead and will remain so no matter what they try to do. The only possible recourse they have is an extremely long advertising campaign, but even then, they've already scared away the majority of their players.

This game is such a waste of time and money that it's really quite sickening to see SE treat it the way they have.

Nobody is assuming that people will 'flock' to XIV. It will have mediocre success just like XI did.

And yes, they are treating this like a second release, due to the fact that the PS3 version will be marketed. They're also not marketing it as XIV, but "ARR: FFXIV."

It's generating a lot of buzz on various other gaming websites, so I wouldn't write it off yet.
By Latifah 2012-10-30 02:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Avitorii said: »
Graphics look great...as always. Game still sucks though.
So tell me, how did you manage to play ARR alpha for that opinion.
By ZettaiRyouiki 2012-10-30 06:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The game was free for 15 months and the next patch will be a completely revamped game. It also takes under a week to get a relic. Boohoo, SE is so mean and terrible.

MMOs are about adventuring with friends anyway, not graphics/music/hype. Some of us have actually enjoyed playing together for two years. (I know, *gasp* right?)
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-10-30 08:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone still currently playing it is playing it for the gameplay. And this is a re-launch so to speak. I don't mind the whole debating if this will be a good MMO or not, but you're talking like its a fact.

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
honestly so far, the only thing that worries me about 2.0 is the new battle system, though we'll get a more indepth look later on. but so far everything else seems to be such a huge massive improvement. i'm very very excited to play this game and i hope i get into beta :Q

That's my worry also. But the little promo trailers and gameplay video has kinda put that fear to rest. Speaking of which, videos.

^this one is in german. :x

^this one is in all Japanese, but its a condensed version of the Live Letter stream that shows some of the new monsters/items/etc in 2.0. The first ~3mins is pictures. The rest is gameplay.

The one thing that might be good or bad for the game is the seperate servers. If you give people an option to play on a foreign server with lag due to the distance between you and the server, or servers with no lag but, most likely, little to no foreign players... I think they'd go for the server with less lag.
By Quiznor 2012-10-30 11:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally i'd go with EU servers. Almost all europeans I've noticed have basic english so I can play with them,and less lag ftw

and not to mention none of them damn cheeseburger wielding crass american arseholes!amiritr?
By eagleeyes 2012-10-30 13:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sooner or later, people are going to get tired of playing a 10 year old game. I'm optimistic for 2.0 but won't be "hyped" for it.

The one thing I'm sure square will at least do is take ear to the comments for the alpha and beta phase.

In hindsight, the original was too much of a demo and square didn't do a thing with the complaints of the closed alpha/beta.
By ladycrim 2012-10-30 13:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Personally i'd go with EU servers. Almost all europeans I've noticed have basic english so I can play with them,and less lag ftw

and not to mention none of them damn cheeseburger wielding crass american arseholes!amiritr?

Funny that I find the opposite in all my games and choose to play with Americans who can type perfect English,(ok we'll forget the fact they butchered all my spellings) rather than people who have broken English. Lags not a problem, trying to party with people who can't speak my language is.

What about vent/TS? Euro's rarely use it, a very lonely game without.

To each her own :)
By Quiznor 2012-10-30 18:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

ladycrim said: »
Quiznor said: »

Funny that I find the opposite in all my games and choose to play with Americans who can type perfect English,(ok we'll forget the fact they butchered all my spellings) rather than people who have broken English. Lags not a problem, trying to party with people who can't speak my language is.

What about vent/TS? Euro's rarely use it, a very lonely game without.

To each her own :)

I dont have the time to be able to stay up till 4am doing events anymore ;-;
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-10-30 18:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They do that to FFXIV 2.0 simply because, it's Final Fantasy, and it has number behind it(not a spin-off etc). This name means a lot in JRPG history, or perhaps entire video game history. Having the name of Final Fantasy means SE have to put all their resource into it and can't come up with a cheap game. Thus their option to save XIV is to launch 2.0.

FF series is what makes SE like they are today, and they wouldn't want it to go down easily. Same reason why they still make FF11 SoA now.