The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 326 327 328 ... 445 446 447
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-02-14 16:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I get Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content:
Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml part
Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet7.xml part
Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet14.xml part
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-02-14 16:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, excel throws a fit over some of the formulas I used and replaces them with fixed values. Was able to fix it after cross-referencing my copy against the one drkstr sent me. Should work for you after the next update.
 Quetzalcoatl.Drkstr
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: drkstr
By Quetzalcoatl.Drkstr 2017-02-16 10:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Yeah, excel throws a fit over some of the formulas I used and replaces them with fixed values. Was able to fix it after cross-referencing my copy against the one drkstr sent me. Should work for you after the next update.

Thanks for checking into it.
 Asura.Bertoli
Server: Asura
user: gario1
By Asura.Bertoli 2017-02-16 12:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question for you more experienced BLU's. Are reforged empy feet worth using before they are +1? I've done a small bit of testing and it seems like I may be getting more damage under BA on my Jhakri +1 feet.

Thanks!
By geigei 2017-02-16 13:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bertoli said: »
Quick question for you more experienced BLU's. Are reforged empy feet worth using before they are +1? I've done a small bit of testing and it seems like I may be getting more damage under BA on my Jhakri +1 feet.

Thanks!

Whenever i BA i burst, or i used to, so i use 14% burst herc. For non burst aoe like omen maybe, stuff melts anyway with a good mab setup so i would pass on them.
By gario1 2017-02-16 15:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
Asura.Bertoli said: »

Thanks!

Whenever i BA i burst, or i used to, so i use 14% burst herc. For non burst aoe like omen maybe, stuff melts anyway with a good mab setup so i would pass on them.

I guess I am not performing magic bursts off of skill chains, It is while being used for cleaving to get that one a minute larger kill shot. If that makes a difference.
 Cerberus.Dakrone
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Dakrone 2017-02-22 21:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably wrong section to ask this but, jsut recently came back to complete my Tizona blu but is it still a Earth Day lockout for arrapago remnants Salvage I or is it 1hour? Need to kill Armored Chariot currently 1/3. I have tested to be able to get in & out of the rest of the other Salvage 1 consecutively but seems to have gotten lock out for 1 earth day for Arrapago Remnants Salvage 1, is it a bug or is that intentional for only Arrapago Remnants Salvage 1?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-02-22 21:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Arrapago is indeed once per day, sadly.
 Cerberus.Dakrone
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Dakrone 2017-02-22 22:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Arrapago is indeed once per day, sadly.

Thank you for clarifying! Was sitting outside like a dumbass assuming its like the other 3.
By Autocast 2017-02-25 17:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Is there any ETA on when the update will be? getting same errors when I try to use the spreadsheet.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-02-25 18:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever I can sit down for an hour and focus on getting it done. Free time is scarce right now.
[+]
By Autocast 2017-02-25 19:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever I can sit down for an hour and focus on getting it done. Free time is scarce right now.

Understood, thanks for putting your time in to keep it up to date, really do appreciate it.
By Jimmyballsack 2017-02-26 17:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Best melee BLU clubs to date? Nehushtan?
 Bahamut.Neb
Server: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2017-02-26 20:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Jimmyballsack said: »

Yes and offhand Septopic +1
By Jimmyballsack 2017-02-26 20:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Neb said: »
Jimmyballsack said: »

Yes and offhand Septopic +1
Thank you!
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Server: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2017-02-26 23:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Mafic Cudgel is pretty solid as well.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2017-02-27 00:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as clubs go, you have some low delay weapons with unremarkable DD stats/generally good mage stats (Septoptic +1, Nibiru, Gabaxorea) and some weapons with decent melee stats but high delay (Nehushtan, Blurred +1, Mafic). Nehushtan/Blurred +1 is probably your ideal Realmrazer/Black Halo/Judgement setup, or dual Nehushtan if you want another 60 or so acc/don't have Blurred +1. Mafic is free, has 27 acc, and gives PDT-10% as a side perk, but is otherwise unremarkable. For Flash Nova... dual Blurred +1 might win out. It's got passable magic stats, the best WS frequency, and base damage doesn't matter for magic weaponskills. Probably Nibiru Cudgel otherwise; Ames NQ is similar but you should have Nibiru anyway and investing in Ames +1 for a Flash Nova setup seems... questionable... especially when dual Blurred +1 is probably better anyway if you want to go all out.

I don't think Septoptic +1 has much value for BLU. NQ Ames is probably slightly better for Flash Nova setups, and it's not an especially good weapon for physical club setups.
[+]
By Jimmyballsack 2017-02-27 03:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as clubs go, you have some low delay weapons with unremarkable DD stats/generally good mage stats (Septoptic +1, Nibiru, Gabaxorea) and some weapons with decent melee stats but high delay (Nehushtan, Blurred +1, Mafic). Nehushtan/Blurred +1 is probably your ideal Realmrazer/Black Halo/Judgement setup, or dual Nehushtan if you want another 60 or so acc/don't have Blurred +1. Mafic is free, has 27 acc, and gives PDT-10% as a side perk, but is otherwise unremarkable. For Flash Nova... dual Blurred +1 might win out. It's got passable magic stats, the best WS frequency, and base damage doesn't matter for magic weaponskills. Probably Nibiru Cudgel otherwise; Ames NQ is similar but you should have Nibiru anyway and investing in Ames +1 for a Flash Nova setup seems... questionable... especially when dual Blurred +1 is probably better anyway if you want to go all out.

I don't think Septoptic +1 has much value for BLU. NQ Ames is probably slightly better for Flash Nova setups, and it's not an especially good weapon for physical club setups.
Awesome. This is what I was looking for but so much more.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-02-27 04:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I started committing to BLU yesterday and wanted to thank all the contributors for the comprehensive explanations of the job. BLU is confusing, but I think with this help I'll be able to figure it out.

Keep it up!
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-03-01 00:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

A question about Carcharian Verve:

Is it possible that the Aquaveil effect wears off upon taking a certain amount of damage from enemies? When I cast it before a CP cleave in Reisenjima, the timer says that there are 17 minutes remaining, but it almost never actually lasts that long in practice (it usually wears off in the middle of a cleave, which kinda screws me over sometimes -- perhaps after 5-10 minutes instead of 15-17).

The mobs in question are ladybugs, chapuli, and mantises from Conflux 3.

I can provide screenshots when I go tomorrow, since this happens pretty often.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-03-01 00:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It's after a certain number of would-be interruptions, just like regular Aquaveil but with a (obviously) higher potency.
[+]
 Odin.Speedyjim
Server: Odin
user: speedyjim
By Odin.Speedyjim 2017-03-01 00:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
A question about Carcharian Verve:

Is it possible that the Aquaveil effect wears off upon taking a certain amount of damage from enemies? When I cast it before a CP cleave in Reisenjima, the timer says that there are 17 minutes remaining, but it almost never actually lasts that long in practice (it usually wears off in the middle of a cleave, which kinda screws me over sometimes -- perhaps after 5-10 minutes instead of 15-17).

The mobs in question are ladybugs, chapuli, and mantises from Conflux 3.

I can provide screenshots when I go tomorrow, since this happens pretty often.
Rule of thumb: re-apply verve every 5 mins because of this exact reason.
 Odin.Ewellina
user: colway
By Odin.Ewellina 2017-03-02 10:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

aquaveil is like shadows for interuption, charnerean verve gives u like 20 none interuptions before wearing off.
by that i mean everytime u cast something, if a mob hits u and would have interupted u, then u take away 1 of aquaviels shoadows. it will wear off once its out of shadows or ifd the timer wears, which ever comes first. regular aquaviel is much less potent then blu's with like 4-5 interuptions
By myaihze 2017-03-02 10:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate doing it, but in reisen when cleaving on blue, I usually sleep any pull over 10 mobs before my burn down. The mobs in there are alot higher level so alot more accurate. When pulling eva/dt isent an issue, but when casting my gear goes through a fast cast set (which isent always 119), then into a matt/mdmg/int/etc set which is usually 119 but dosent have alot of interruption down, eva, or Def in it your gonna take alot more of a beating, and usually have the interruptions more. So you might think about sleeping, or stunning your pull before you nuke just to be safer since verve will usually keep you for thoes quicker spells.

My 2 cents
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-03-02 11:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using gearswap it's effectively impossible to get hit in your precast set, so you only have to worry about what's in your midcast.
 Odin.Speedyjim
user: speedyjim
By Odin.Speedyjim 2017-03-02 12:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

myaihze said: »
I hate doing it, but in reisen when cleaving on blue, I usually sleep any pull over 10 mobs before my burn down. The mobs in there are alot higher level so alot more accurate. When pulling eva/dt isent an issue, but when casting my gear goes through a fast cast set (which isent always 119), then into a matt/mdmg/int/etc set which is usually 119 but dosent have alot of interruption down, eva, or Def in it your gonna take alot more of a beating, and usually have the interruptions more. So you might think about sleeping, or stunning your pull before you nuke just to be safer since verve will usually keep you for thoes quicker spells.

My 2 cents
For new BLUs: Pull mobs > Subduction > run a few yalms > Emtomb > Spectral Floe > (Subduction if needed) rince and repeat.
[+]
 Sylph.Fulmination
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Fulmination 2017-03-02 13:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Returning to Vana d'iel for the first time in 3 years. Immensely helpful guide, thanks for the attention to detail!
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2017-03-02 13:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
If you're using gearswap it's effectively impossible to get hit in your precast set, so you only have to worry about what's in your midcast.

It's certainly not impossible, although the risk is generally low enough to treat it as such.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-03-02 13:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
It's certainly not impossible, although the risk is generally low enough to treat it as such.
It actually is impossible if you're not spamming packets and you have your sets configured properly. The server doesn't read incoming data on a seperate thread from damage calculations. It reads in precast gear but initiates the spell and reads in midcast gear before doing anything else, making it impossible for an action to happen during that window. What most people call packets are just bits of data within an actual udp packet, and the limit to the size of said UDP packet is significantly larger than 2 full equip swaps will ever take. Thus, it's all read at once with nothing else happening in between. This is also why instacast gear can be precasted without failing to get midcast gear on in time.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2017-03-02 13:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I fully understand why it should be impossible- but I also know from experience that, for whatever reason, it isn't.
First Page 2 3 ... 326 327 328 ... 445 446 447