The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 128 129 130 ... 445 446 447
 Bismarck.Zuidar
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2014-10-20 17:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sinker Drill is Gravitation/Scission (Maybe Scission?). It either has scission or some other lvl 1 SC property, but I think it was scission when I was messing around mobs in September
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-10-20 18:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

diffusion on Harden shell, nat meditation, barrier tusk, others i dont remember right now are all situationally useful. Doesn't need to be a 5m spell to be worth it, but it depends on party composition
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-20 18:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The shorter duration spells tend to be the more powerful ones, it's more useful for short duration spells that stack with other effects like the ones you mentioned. Almost every group is going to have access to many kinds of haste, having large defense or attack bonuses is great.
By Selindrile 2014-10-20 18:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Anyone have a good gearswap for blu? Having trouble with gearsets for physical spells since the OP doesn't have optimized sets for spells or various low acc/high scenarios for physical spells.

I've got them differentiated for high/low acc, though I haven't done the math on sets, this may or may not help.
http://pastebin.com/x9vqiiip

This is a sidecar based on Motenten's Blu.Lua which requires his includes, which can be found here: https://github.com/Kinematics/GearSwap-Jobs

All thanks go to Motenten, I just added multiple acc tiers but this should save you a bit of coding. Download his Blu.lua and my sidecar, change the name of the sidecar to YourCharacterName_Blu_Gear.lua
[+]
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
Server: Cerberus
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-20 20:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Potential benefits of diffusion outweigh the extra 40 tp every couple mins. Longer duration buffs = less time spent reapplying, let alone the benefits to your party members

Unless saving for sc, should be using chain affinity on cooldown with thrashing and sinker. Same for efflux

In addition the tp bonus from efflux overides CA tp bonus (doesnt add to it) and about half the time you are using in combo with CA making chain affinity 5/5 half as useful as it could be.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-10-21 01:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I just managed to pick up Windbuffet +1 from the WoE event, and I wanted to check on the belt hierarchy for CDC. Am I correct in thinking it to be WB +1 > chiner's +1 > ele belt > wanion > WB? 295 dex in my CDC set if that makes a difference, as I somewhat remember total dex playing into the usefulness of Chiner's.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-10-21 07:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Seconding this question, have both belts, using chiner's +1 for Cdc atm but could switch Windbuffet+1 in without problem :P Also, is Nefarious collar +1 any good or keep light gorget instead?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-10-21 12:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I just managed to pick up Windbuffet +1 from the WoE event, and I wanted to check on the belt hierarchy for CDC. Am I correct in thinking it to be WB +1 > chiner's +1 > ele belt > wanion > WB? 295 dex in my CDC set if that makes a difference, as I somewhat remember total dex playing into the usefulness of Chiner's.

With that much DEX, you should be able to safely use Windbuffet+1 in all situations that don't warrant extra accuracy (and I would probably consider switching other slots first for a more accuracy-centric setup). If you had closer to 250, I might have to ask for what your whole setup was.

Nefarious(+1) loses out to a Gorget.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-10-21 15:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, thanks for the responses, I figured ~300 would be more than enough to warrant multi-attack instead, but spreadsheets confound me so I wanted to check.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-21 18:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Since attack counts for blue magic now prosilo>metalsinger i assume but wouldnt whirpool mask win for head? I'm sure the 25att/acc and 4 str over relic head beats the measly 8 skill? Also ig trousers from kamhir delve probably beat manibozo i would think.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-21 21:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought it was like DMG on physical spells increased in tiers for every 10-13 skill or something? I remember Yugl mathed it out a long time ago and it was like you got +1DMG at certain tiers.

I figured since the attack update whereby attack is counted for blue spells, that +attack would be really amazing. While +Blue Skill increases DMG in a tiered fashion where it was something like 11 or 13 skill was a +1DMG increase, having 20-25 attack seems like a better option I would think, also if the spell is 50%STR/50% DEX, the 4 or 5 STR that Whirlpool has over Relic Head would surely add more base damage than 8 skill?
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2014-10-21 21:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

+blue skill translates to attack and +DMG in a way very similar to H2H skill.

Whirlpool is indeed pretty great for physicals. Luhlaza's a little better on some non-STR modded spells but only if you're capped on accuracy.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-22 02:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

But like i said blue skill increases in tiers so that 8 skill may or not give you any dmg but it will give you blue attack(~8). Whirlpool gives 4str which, if the spells is 50-100~ wsc, will give you 2-4dmg, and 25 blue attack, unless i'm missing somethint fundamental.

D is calculated as floor(Blue Magic Skill*0.11)*2 + 3
So yeah that +8 skill will maybe give you 1 base damage whereas the extra str is likely to give more, plus the extra att/acc which is extremely vital for 128+ content where BLU is unlikely to come anywhere near pdif cap.

Also is +attack for blu spells 1:1? Blue Magic Skill was said to give Attack to physical blue spells but now regular melee attafk is added as well, so if my attack is 1700 from minuet and berserk, is 1700 added to my str/2 and blue magic skill to determine blue physical attack? Or is it a fraction of your melee attack is added to blue physical attack? If it's the former, blue physical spells probably have extremely high attack power, seeing as str/2+blue skill+main hand physical attack can easily exceed 2000(1700 attack from minuet/chaos roll/berserk/nature's meditation+~480 skill) plus most new spells have an attack bonus of ~25-33%)
 Odin.Vathris
user: Barritos
By Odin.Vathris 2014-10-22 06:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on your skill, mavi tathlum might lose to things like cheruski needle or jukukix feather, im actually trying to think of an occasion where i actually used mavi tathlum for physical spells...

Anyway, best case scenario, mavi tathlum is giving you 5 attack and 1 extra damage, and things like cheruski needle is giving you 2.25 attack and 3STR and 2DEX, also, since it was never really determined if the ilvl main hand also gave blu skill for blu spells damage calculation or just extra attack after that update, i couldnt really calculate if the tathlum was doing anything... 5/9 chance of it doing something, so i figured id go for the steady thing and mainly use the needle.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2014-10-22 06:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Given that attack now affects blue spells, floestone might be BiS for physical spells.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-22 07:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Vathris said: »
Depending on your skill, mavi tathlum might lose to things like cheruski needle or jukukix feather, im actually trying to think of an occasion where i actually used mavi tathlum for physical spells...

Anyway, best case scenario, mavi tathlum is giving you 5 attack and 1 extra damage, and things like cheruski needle is giving you 2.25 attack and 3STR and 2DEX, also, since it was never really determined if the ilvl main hand also gave blu skill for blu spells damage calculation or just extra attack after that update, i couldnt really calculate if the tathlum was doing anything... 5/9 chance of it doing something, so i figured id go for the steady thing and mainly use the needle.
In general hasty pinion +1 will right near needle and provide a lot more acc, if no acc needed floes tone wins
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2014-10-22 07:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Nikia will you take over the guide and update sets? please do!
 Odin.Vathris
user: Barritos
By Odin.Vathris 2014-10-22 07:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent been able to play in the past 4 months or so and havent really kept up with items, so its great to know that those items exist! Also found Ginsen <.<

And while we are at it, ire torque +1 for neck still?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-10-22 18:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Tamaxchi, Magic Acc and Magic Damage +15 or Magic Attack Bonus +10 for now?
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-22 18:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Macc +45, mind as well use it as a really good offhand maac piece, since you can get better magic attack elsewhere
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-10-22 18:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Unrelated question, what's generally better for Subduction, Magic Damage +15 or Magic Attack Bonus +10?
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-10-22 18:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Double Baboraxea clubs with Mab mezzotint
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2014-10-22 18:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have the Plasm to do that right now, but I've got the KI for Flashfrost. Do I really have to go from crap to perfect or can I upgrade between?
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-10-22 20:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I got Tamaxi club with OaT and MAB+10 for now, 12 airlixir+2 for double Gaboraxea ain't cheap when you building a relic gun and Tizona...
 Siren.Inuyushi
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2014-10-22 21:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Nevermind...
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-10-22 21:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
I don't have the Plasm to do that right now, but I've got the KI for Flashfrost. Do I really have to go from crap to perfect or can I upgrade between?

Its your character, Do what you wish.

If you are just using it for subduction spam farming, its fine.
First Page 2 3 ... 128 129 130 ... 445 446 447